Playing sniper TD with incompetent teams.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

OMG_Abaddon #1 Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10168 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

I've grown fond of my SU-130PM because it's a mobile weapons platform. It can relocate and play brawler, flanker, sniper, or whatever you want. When the allies are particularly bad I always get the chance to move around and play my game, with binocs (optics in the future) and an awesome camo rating on the move I don't fear anything. Or anyone. I get to play my game and die by the risk-reward playstyle.

But you know, there are many TDs I can't do that with, namely Strv S1 which looks like it was made to act as a turret on the hills of snowy mountains and shoot literally downwards at soldiers trying to climb it. I wonder if they had climber tanks at some point to run 50 km/h on a vertical wall...

So this kind of tank really requires careful positioning, every time you move with your team you need to think twice before moving, it's so tedious, and the lack of acceleration makes moving around even worse. Now on most matches I get one of the following.

1. Team lemming train into enemy base, opposite side is barren so we lose it, I can't keep up with train so I turn around and defend from safe position, but obviously get picked off after 1 or 2 shots. Total cotribution: 1 or 2 shots.

2. Team brawls and pushes too far. Stuff like lights actually playing heavy tank mode. They either die and we lose all vision, or we win and the overextended push actually succeeds, so I have to keep moving.

So, what am I supposed to do? I tried looking around for guides but the only one is by LemmingRush who plays his ironic sniper mode of Grille 15, no idea how to play a defensive TD in a normal game.

SABAOTH #2 Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:10 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

Sniping in this game is an urban legend :trollface:

unless rasha, where aiming is for noobs :izmena:

SuedKAT #3 Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:30 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

The SU-130PM is a lot less map dependent compared to the Strv S1, not only due to siege mode but also due to the alpha and lack of turret on the Strv S1, not to mention the fact that once you get spotted in the Strv S1 and want to exit that position quickly you first have to change modes, something you don't have to bother with in the SU-130PM.

As in any TD, don't go alone since you're not only giving up your strengths but your also often quite easy to counter meaning you will achieve very little, also try to not engage your enemies from the same spot over and over again especially if you've been spotted. On many maps there are also plenty of opportunities to blind fire obvious positions which is something you can try yourself assuming you don't expect getting spotted while doing so but also keep in mind that sitting in the most obvious bush there is will often result in you taking a shoot regardless of being spotted or not. Had a game in my SU-130PM yesterday which showed 2600 damage done in the match but 4200 damage on the result screen, all due to shooting a few shoots into obvious locations while also watching in what locations my allies took damage.

Edit:

Spoiler

If you upload a few replays it would be easier to point out from our viewpoints what we would have done differently, often it's things you don't realize yourself that can make all the difference.  

Edited by SuedKAT, 06 February 2019 - 04:34 PM.

kaneloon #4 Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29492 battles
  • [FR2DB] FR2DB

Yeah if you have difficulties with some maps you can find on wotreplays how some managed to carry it.

What you have to realize is that most "contact tanks" will really not care about what FFA snipers and arties can do, or protect them or spot for them.

That's because they can't rely on them.

kubawt112 #5 Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

Do you know bush mechanics, in particular that your camo rating is higher if you shoot through a bush that you cannot see through? That might be the key to do more. If the enemy can't see you, they might not advance. The other suggestion is to cover the cap from the 'safe' side rather than the empty flank. There are a not insignificant number of positions that work really well

Aside from that, camping is likely the most effective way of playing them, both due to lack of brawling/flanking opportunities, how much people love shooting at SU130/Skorpion and how effective camping actually is.

View PostOMG_Abaddon, on 06 February 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

(...)

But you know, there are many TDs I can't do that with, namely Strv S1 which looks like it was made to act as a turret on the hills of snowy mountains and shoot literally downwards at soldiers trying to climb it. I wonder if they had climber tanks at some point to run 50 km/h on a vertical wall...(...)

There was indeed a climb or five on the pre-HD Mountain Pass that allowed you to do just that (at least with UDES/103-0/103B). :D

dsotm44 #6 Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:31 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 45495 battles

I love playing TD's - but then I only buy TD's that I really enjoy playing. That means nothing with dispersion above 0.38 as sniping at distance then becomes a lottery. I tend to stay quite far back initially until I can see what percentage of the team have the IQ of amoeba's, then I will move to better spots depending on the gameplay. Also pays to know exatcly where on every map the best TD's spots are for each TD's characteristics. Turreted TD's are definitely more flexible when it comes to good spots.

*Edit* - Apologies - I should have started by saying I do not have any of the Swedish TD's - for reasons stated by the OP they look like way too much hard work to have fun with, and lack the sort of flexibility I look for in a TD.

Edited by dsotm44, 06 February 2019 - 05:52 PM.

Bordhaw #7 Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:27 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 13163 battles

View PostOMG_Abaddon, on 06 February 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

So, what am I supposed to do? I tried looking around for guides but the only one is by LemmingRush who plays his ironic sniper mode of Grille 15, no idea how to play a defensive TD in a normal game.

Play other tanks ? 

Robbie_T #8 Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17937 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

I got the Su130 and Skorpion G resently..

Su130 got that with th grind mission and 6 euro and Skorpion G in christmass box...

and i like the tanks (thaught i would not like them)......But man if i play them i get no spotters...they next to me or behind me....so i still end up spotting well you know how that go's in a paper td.:bush:

So now they are rotting away in my garage...hope i like them in FL else waisted 6 euro on them both :teethhappy:

SABAOTH #9 Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:58 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View PostRobbie_T, on 06 February 2019 - 10:37 PM, said:

I got the Su130 and Skorpion G resently..

....so i still end up spotting well you know how that go's in a paper td.:bush:

Pretty good actually between 2.000 and 3.500 in a good match.

They are not the friendliest tanks, you need to know how camo:bush: works to use them well :girl:

Robbie_T #10 Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17937 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostSABAOTH, on 06 February 2019 - 11:58 PM, said:

Pretty good actually between 2.000 and 3.500 in a good match.

They are not the friendliest tanks, you need to know how camo:bush: works to use them well :girl:

In a good match....

But thats the problem no spotters and enemy Lt's spotting like unicoms...

I know one thing i only use them when platooned.....because random Lt's its a suicide rush or they camp the back. 

And yeah maybe i am a morron sometimes too .....that i go spotting ...i just should stay back...but i cant stand it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users