Jump to content


1.4 is spamming HEAT into my CPU...report!

Multithreading Hyperthreading Temperature

  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

NekoPuffer_PPP #1 Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 34197 battles
  • 3,991
  • [VRTC] VRTC
  • Member since:
    09-13-2013

Despite the comedic title...I'd just like to point out the one little concern I have now that update 1.4 and multithreading support is here:

 

Higher temps.

 

Now that all (2 with 2 threads each) cores are in use, in my aged-by-today's-standards i3-4170 from 2015, the temperature likes to peak at around 70°C at times, which brings me to another concern:

 

CPU health.

 

For a CPU now approaching 4 years of age, without having its thermal paste refreshed or properly dusted heatsink (only wiped the fan and blew air into the heatsink occasionally), what would be the max acceptable temperature I should try to keep it under? I've set the fans (and have had them set like this since the start) to max out when the CPU reaches 70°C, and it very nearly does reach that temperature now, luckily never going above it though!

 

The CPU fan is a standard Intel fan with a heatsink, and the case fan is a Corsair 120mm high-flow MagLev fan. They are capable of reaching 2084 and 2444RPM respectively at their max, and seem to be adequate for the job so far.

 

Any tips? Should I just dust out the heatsink more often or, after over a full 3 years (since December 2015) of everyday usage (483 full days and 2 hours according to Speccy), is a paste refresh the better option?

 

I'm a bit hesitant about the paste replacement, I may have installed a case fan myself (child's play), and I may have replaced the entire PSU all by myself (...you son of a wire), but placing the CPU back in its socket without bending any of the pins by accident is too stressful for me. Since it's an older socket (LGA1150), there aren't any CPUs which use that socket currently on sale, so I'd have to get a new motherboard, new RAM...etc. Basically a big, expensive, PITA.

 

Or...am I just worrying too much? :confused:

 

With all that said, may I also ask this: Do you think WG should allow us (if at all possible) to choose whether we want all cores to be used, as after 1.4, or to use the old computing system prior to 1.4, in future patches? Should it be optional, and can it even be optional? I dunno how deep the Core engine coding goes, that's why I'm curious if it can be an option, since in my case, WoT ran very nicely even before 1.4.

 

Cheers :honoring:



MeetriX #2 Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 23928 battles
  • 3,894
  • [_ACE] _ACE
  • Member since:
    08-12-2012

"but placing the CPU back in its socket without bending any of the pins by accident is too stressful for me. "

Why would you want to take cpu off?

 

 



Nishi_Kinuyo #3 Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:50 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 9077 battles
  • 6,265
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

Well, a non-intel CPU Fan would improve cooling most likely.

Then again, its an older system so sooner or later it'll need replacing entirely.

 

As for the bending pins part; I wouldn't worry too much about it:

The pins for the LGA1150 socket are on the motherboard rather than the CPU, which makes bending them accidentally a lot harder.

The socket itself is a so-called ZIF or zero insertion force, meaning that the user has to exert basically no force at all to put the CPU in correctly.

 

Personally though, I think the issue would be more that your CPU is using turbo a lot more frequently now, which results in higher temperatures.

As for telling WoT which cores/threads to use; I think its possible to do so in taskmanager.

For Win7 at least, I can right-click the WoT process and assign affinities.


Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 06 February 2019 - 09:52 PM.


NekoPuffer_PPP #4 Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:06 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 34197 battles
  • 3,991
  • [VRTC] VRTC
  • Member since:
    09-13-2013

View PostMeetriX, on 06 February 2019 - 09:48 PM, said:

"but placing the CPU back in its socket without bending any of the pins by accident is too stressful for me. "

Why would you want to take cpu off?

 

I'm stupid, ignore that. :D I thought taking the lid off meant taking the CPU itself out...nevermind, I had a brainfart. :P
21:07 Added after 1 minute

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 06 February 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

Well, a non-intel CPU Fan would improve cooling most likely.

Then again, its an older system so sooner or later it'll need replacing entirely.

 

As for the bending pins part; I wouldn't worry too much about it:

The pins for the LGA1150 socket are on the motherboard rather than the CPU, which makes bending them accidentally a lot harder.

The socket itself is a so-called ZIF or zero insertion force, meaning that the user has to exert basically no force at all to put the CPU in correctly.

 

Personally though, I think the issue would be more that your CPU is using turbo a lot more frequently now, which results in higher temperatures.

As for telling WoT which cores/threads to use; I think its possible to do so in taskmanager.

For Win7 at least, I can right-click the WoT process and assign affinities.

 

Thank you so much for the tips, appreciate it. :honoring: I always learn something from you... :teethhappy:

Benistown_GagsoisbisteDD #5 Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:22 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 16930 battles
  • 886
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
  • Member since:
    02-15-2015
Unless you start to have fps drops (Due to thermal throttling) the temps are fine. For intel its around 80c-90c when it starts to drop clock speed

AliceUnchained #6 Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:23 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 39029 battles
  • 9,502
  • [322] 322
  • Member since:
    10-18-2011
 

70º C normally is fine and will not deteriorate the CPU. I did check your i3 4170 just in case and it's Tcase is set at 72º C on Intel site: https://ark.intel.com/products/77490/Intel-Core-i3-4170-Processor-3M-Cache-3-70-GHz-. Intel CPU are designed to throttle however, and when temps get critical will shut down to avoid damage. Still, replacing the thermal paste and doing some thorough cleaning would be good.

 

Core affinity can indeed be set as Nishi pointed out, but I would generally recommend against it unless you're trying to resolve a very specific core load/balancing issue. Go for some proper cleaning first, and see if that helps somewhat.

 

 



_6i6_ #7 Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:24 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 18820 battles
  • 448
  • [A__K] A__K
  • Member since:
    03-22-2018

just use this if you eventually decide to up your cooling since the stock intel fan is kinda ridiculous performance wise: 

 https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15 

probably the best air cooler you can get 

im using the previous version of it for LGA775 since im using a much older cpu than you...QX9650 at 4 ghz and even with that cpu clocked at that freq with my voltages quite upped my temps are more than low.

Idle at 22-27c and max temp never goes more than 45-50c at the highest - tho i did replace the front of its fans with a scythe hi flow fan, so it;s a bit louder :P but the air flow is just staggering for such heat  that the QX9650 does...so for an i3 you should be way good with the stock noctua fans


Edited by _6i6_, 06 February 2019 - 10:26 PM.


aronsearle #8 Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:18 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 36475 battles
  • 680
  • Member since:
    12-15-2014

One case fan is very stingy for a gaming PC.

 

What are your case temps. If you dont have a case fan sensor then look at your idle temps a few minutes AFTER load. This will give you a rough idea whether the case as a whole has enough airflow.

 

Assuming its a tower case stick two 120mm intake fans on the side. More intake fans also gives you positive pressure ensuring air-intake is through any air filters thus reducing dust intake.

 

Changing the paste will make little difference at best.

 

You can also get second hand i5 processors for peanuts on ebay, negating the need to replace anything else.

 



Homer_J #9 Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:56 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 32425 battles
  • 35,424
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 06 February 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

 

 

I'm a bit hesitant about the paste replacement,

 

I would say that as long as it is not overheating and throttling down then leave it.

 

The processor will protect it's self from burning out.



SABAOTH #10 Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:00 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 40172 battles
  • 3,494
  • [-133-] -133-
  • Member since:
    08-28-2011
Remove the "2" key and the temperature will drop...... probably  :hiding:

NekoPuffer_PPP #11 Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:04 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 34197 battles
  • 3,991
  • [VRTC] VRTC
  • Member since:
    09-13-2013

View Postaronsearle, on 06 February 2019 - 11:18 PM, said:

One case fan is very stingy for a gaming PC.

 

What are your case temps. If you dont have a case fan sensor then look at your idle temps a few minutes AFTER load. This will give you a rough idea whether the case as a whole has enough airflow.

 

Assuming its a tower case stick two 120mm intake fans on the side. More intake fans also gives you positive pressure ensuring air-intake is through any air filters thus reducing dust intake.

 

Changing the paste will make little difference at best.

 

You can also get second hand i5 processors for peanuts on ebay, negating the need to replace anything else.

 

 

I've got a single 140mm fan-sized hole on the side, and the front is a thick mesh which lets air through while filtering out the dust. Dust does still slowly accumulate though...

 

I only saw one available spot on the motherboard for a case fan, that's where I put the Corsair, and placed it in the back. I dunno of any other sockets I can plug additional fans' power cords into, and pcpartpicker doesn't seem to have any issue with putting 10 case fans into my pc so...safe to say I'm confused.

 

Motherboard's an Asus H81M-K, Micro ATX.

 

And the case, just in...case :hiding::

 



Baldrickk #12 Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:15 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 32165 battles
  • 16,715
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013

Case airflow is probably "enough"
Biggest issue for cpu heat will be the stock cooler.

But 70 isn't really an issue. The CPU is designed to operate at that temperature.

On the plus side, you're getting better performance because your CPU is less of a bottleneck now!

You may want to look into frame rate limiting (not v-sync) to lower the load if you want to do that...

 

You'll want https://worldoftanks...or/files/888532 and the engine_config.xml file


Edited by Baldrickk, 07 February 2019 - 12:21 AM.


ValkyrionX #13 Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:25 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 52677 battles
  • 2,462
  • [RDDT] RDDT
  • Member since:
    02-07-2015

I prevented the problem, knowing that the multithreading would have led to a greater use of all the cores of my CPU I bought an AMD Wraith Heatsink [92mm] for about 15 euros from a guy who bought a new CPU AMD and who sold this sink as new, in fact it still had the factory thermal paste still intact and not even a speck of dust and he even gave me the original box! 

I added a small fan [30mm x 30mm] on the heatsink of my motherboard chipset

Temperatures never go beyond 40 degrees according to what they indicate all the programs I use, even with stress tests I do not exceed 43 degrees
With the AMD heatsink of the previous genaration my CPU also reached +65 degrees

Now the mobo is always below 30 degrees with an average of about 25, all the other components are about 20 degrees and I can adjust as I want the GPU temperatures

 



Isharial #14 Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:48 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 23317 battles
  • 2,627
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 06 February 2019 - 09:36 PM, said:

Despite the comedic title...I'd just like to point out the one little concern I have now that update 1.4 and multithreading support is here:

 

Higher temps.

 

Now that all (2 with 2 threads each) cores are in use, in my aged-by-today's-standards i3-4170 from 2015, the temperature likes to peak at around 70°C at times, which brings me to another concern:

 

CPU health.

 

For a CPU now approaching 4 years of age, without having its thermal paste refreshed or properly dusted heatsink (only wiped the fan and blew air into the heatsink occasionally), what would be the max acceptable temperature I should try to keep it under? I've set the fans (and have had them set like this since the start) to max out when the CPU reaches 70°C, and it very nearly does reach that temperature now, luckily never going above it though!

 

The CPU fan is a standard Intel fan with a heatsink, and the case fan is a Corsair 120mm high-flow MagLev fan. They are capable of reaching 2084 and 2444RPM respectively at their max, and seem to be adequate for the job so far.

 

Any tips? Should I just dust out the heatsink more often or, after over a full 3 years (since December 2015) of everyday usage (483 full days and 2 hours according to Speccy), is a paste refresh the better option?

 

I'm a bit hesitant about the paste replacement, I may have installed a case fan myself (child's play), and I may have replaced the entire PSU all by myself (...you son of a wire), but placing the CPU back in its socket without bending any of the pins by accident is too stressful for me. Since it's an older socket (LGA1150), there aren't any CPUs which use that socket currently on sale, so I'd have to get a new motherboard, new RAM...etc. Basically a big, expensive, PITA.

 

Or...am I just worrying too much? :confused:

 

With all that said, may I also ask this: Do you think WG should allow us (if at all possible) to choose whether we want all cores to be used, as after 1.4, or to use the old computing system prior to 1.4, in future patches? Should it be optional, and can it even be optional? I dunno how deep the Core engine coding goes, that's why I'm curious if it can be an option, since in my case, WoT ran very nicely even before 1.4.

 

Cheers :honoring:

 

im hella picky about the temps mine runs at, hate seeing anything over 50c let alone 70c :P hate seeing my current GFX card (1080) going up the 40's and 50's, but I guess its "acceptable" (bullcrap, hotter the metal gets the more it stretches, and if its always stretching and retracting every day, can cause it to split if it gets real hot and then cold)

70 as others have said is within the bounds of the processor, though i'd naturally reseat the processor if your truly worried about it being that

I just don't like high temps, makes me feel like im failing it....

 

my old pc:

 

 

00:51 Added after 3 minutes

View PostValkyrionX, on 07 February 2019 - 01:25 AM, said:

I prevented the problem, knowing that the multithreading would have led to a greater use of all the cores of my CPU I bought an AMD Wraith Heatsink [92mm] for about 15 euros from a guy who bought a new CPU AMD and who sold this sink as new, in fact it still had the factory thermal paste still intact and not even a speck of dust and he even gave me the original box! 

I added a small fan [30mm x 30mm] on the heatsink of my motherboard chipset

Temperatures never go beyond 40 degrees according to what they indicate all the programs I use, even with stress tests I do not exceed 43 degrees
With the AMD heatsink of the previous genaration my CPU also reached +65 degrees

Now the mobo is always below 30 degrees with an average of about 25, all the other components are about 20 degrees and I can adjust as I want the GPU temperatures

 

 

in all honesty, I have one of those exact coolers with the Leds on the floor in the box... came with my ryzen but I swapped that out for a corsair liquid cooling unit and radiator.. made more sense and kept it cool. 

also I was banned from having too many fans and the noise that goes with it...

 

so now I have a corsair obsidian 750D and liquid cooling... muuuuch quieter! fam loved it until I bought a "clicky" chroma blackwidow……………..



seXikanac #15 Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:59 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 13378 battles
  • 1,131
  • [-YU-] -YU-
  • Member since:
    09-27-2012

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 06 February 2019 - 09:36 PM, said:

Despite the comedic title...I'd just like to point out the one little concern I have now that update 1.4 and multithreading support is here:

 

Higher temps.

 

Now that all (2 with 2 threads each) cores are in use, in my aged-by-today's-standards i3-4170 from 2015, the temperature likes to peak at around 70°C at times, which brings me to another concern:

 

CPU health.

 

For a CPU now approaching 4 years of age, without having its thermal paste refreshed or properly dusted heatsink (only wiped the fan and blew air into the heatsink occasionally), what would be the max acceptable temperature I should try to keep it under? I've set the fans (and have had them set like this since the start) to max out when the CPU reaches 70°C, and it very nearly does reach that temperature now, luckily never going above it though!

 

The CPU fan is a standard Intel fan with a heatsink, and the case fan is a Corsair 120mm high-flow MagLev fan. They are capable of reaching 2084 and 2444RPM respectively at their max, and seem to be adequate for the job so far.

 

Any tips? Should I just dust out the heatsink more often or, after over a full 3 years (since December 2015) of everyday usage (483 full days and 2 hours according to Speccy), is a paste refresh the better option?

 

I'm a bit hesitant about the paste replacement, I may have installed a case fan myself (child's play), and I may have replaced the entire PSU all by myself (...you son of a wire), but placing the CPU back in its socket without bending any of the pins by accident is too stressful for me. Since it's an older socket (LGA1150), there aren't any CPUs which use that socket currently on sale, so I'd have to get a new motherboard, new RAM...etc. Basically a big, expensive, PITA.

 

Or...am I just worrying too much? :confused:

 

With all that said, may I also ask this: Do you think WG should allow us (if at all possible) to choose whether we want all cores to be used, as after 1.4, or to use the old computing system prior to 1.4, in future patches? Should it be optional, and can it even be optional? I dunno how deep the Core engine coding goes, that's why I'm curious if it can be an option, since in my case, WoT ran very nicely even before 1.4.

 

Cheers :honoring:

 

You can find used Intel i7 4770 that would be much more suitable for gaming and that CPU is not pricey any more. Also, you can change thermal paste without removing CPU from socket (Intel CPUs for ages have pins on motherboard socket, not on CPU) and install aftermarket cooler, like Cooler Master TX3 Evo (cheap one). Thats the CPU I have and I play all games but Ark in 60+ frames per second on Full HD monitor with Nvidia 1060 6 GB graphic card. In WoT, I have 100+ fps

Dorander #16 Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:13 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 21025 battles
  • 6,040
  • Member since:
    05-07-2012

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 06 February 2019 - 11:04 PM, said:

 

I only saw one available spot on the motherboard for a case fan, that's where I put the Corsair, and placed it in the back. I dunno of any other sockets I can plug additional fans' power cords into, and pcpartpicker doesn't seem to have any issue with putting 10 case fans into my pc so...safe to say I'm confused.

 

Dust  will always slowly accumulate. Also check your filters in the front haven't decayed after a few years (or become fully clogged).

 

Plugging in fans isn't a problem powerwise, just get a splitter cable so you can plug them directly into the power supply. You won't be able to tweak them with motherboard settings but they will work and simply keep working at their standard voltage. Unsure what happens if you try to use a splitter on a motherboard power connector, I tend not to try stuff like that, as what I imagine happens is it's going to pull twice as much power through a connector that maybe wasn't designed for that. You could check the motherboard's connector specifications though if you want to get technical about it. Me, I'll just split the power from one of the power supply connectors instead.

 

Fan splitter cables or splitter/converter cables for the power supply are cheap and commonly available at any computer store that sells parts.



Robbie_T #17 Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:22 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 20141 battles
  • 943
  • [BBMM] BBMM
  • Member since:
    07-08-2016

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 06 February 2019 - 09:36 PM, said:

Despite the comedic title...I'd just like to point out the one little concern I have now that update 1.4 and multithreading support is here:

 

Higher temps.

 

Now that all (2 with 2 threads each) cores are in use, in my aged-by-today's-standards i3-4170 from 2015, the temperature likes to peak at around 70°C at times, which brings me to another concern:

 

CPU health.

 

For a CPU now approaching 4 years of age, without having its thermal paste refreshed or properly dusted heatsink (only wiped the fan and blew air into the heatsink occasionally), what would be the max acceptable temperature I should try to keep it under? I've set the fans (and have had them set like this since the start) to max out when the CPU reaches 70°C, and it very nearly does reach that temperature now, luckily never going above it though!

 

The CPU fan is a standard Intel fan with a heatsink, and the case fan is a Corsair 120mm high-flow MagLev fan. They are capable of reaching 2084 and 2444RPM respectively at their max, and seem to be adequate for the job so far.

 

Any tips? Should I just dust out the heatsink more often or, after over a full 3 years (since December 2015) of everyday usage (483 full days and 2 hours according to Speccy), is a paste refresh the better option?

 

I'm a bit hesitant about the paste replacement, I may have installed a case fan myself (child's play), and I may have replaced the entire PSU all by myself (...you son of a wire), but placing the CPU back in its socket without bending any of the pins by accident is too stressful for me. Since it's an older socket (LGA1150), there aren't any CPUs which use that socket currently on sale, so I'd have to get a new motherboard, new RAM...etc. Basically a big, expensive, PITA.

 

Or...am I just worrying too much? :confused:

 

With all that said, may I also ask this: Do you think WG should allow us (if at all possible) to choose whether we want all cores to be used, as after 1.4, or to use the old computing system prior to 1.4, in future patches? Should it be optional, and can it even be optional? I dunno how deep the Core engine coding goes, that's why I'm curious if it can be an option, since in my case, WoT ran very nicely even before 1.4.

 

Cheers :honoring:

 

I have a old pc here that still get dayly played by frends.

First gen i7920   Its now installed 10 yeards and 3 months...only time i apllied coolling paste was when i installed it it also has a  standard intel cooler..

Only thing is a got a big case with 8 fans.

but maybe clean your fans.if you worried.

Dont know about your Cpu but i was told mine was safe till 90 degrees and if its get hotter the pc will shut itself down.(safe guard)

But can also be that its winter and you have your heating on also makes a big difference

 

 


Edited by Robbie_T, 07 February 2019 - 02:25 AM.


azakow #18 Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:22 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 82865 battles
  • 5,003
  • Member since:
    05-23-2011
I read about hulls chassis, vents and HEAT, but then motherboards, RPM and multithreading make me wonder whether this is the correct forum section for the topic.

Nice click bait though.

 

And yes, you worry to much.

:)



SuperOlsson #19 Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:26 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 23919 battles
  • 1,207
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM
  • Member since:
    08-07-2012

Intel core temperatures below 80ºC is fine, you should start worrying when the temperatures hit 85º or more, (even though the fan noise can be irritating). You can read more about Intel temperatures on the CPU section on Toms hardware if you're still worried: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

 

/Superolsson - Self-proclaimed-CPU-overclocking-expert-amateur


Edited by SuperOlsson, 07 February 2019 - 07:29 AM.


HerrWizo #20 Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:55 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 37255 battles
  • 87
  • [BEXF] BEXF
  • Member since:
    08-07-2014

Agreed, 70C is perfectly safe for intel CPU, and expected during higher load and gaming in general. It only seems like a high temp to you, but it is normal. You won't see any performance drops until it reaches 85C, and it will automatically shut down your PC when reaching 100C.

 

Nothing to worry about.







Also tagged with Multithreading, Hyperthreading, Temperature

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users