Latest changes to match making (feb 2019)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

seXikanac #1 Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13378 battles
  • [-YU-] -YU-

Oh boy, instead of adding more dual tier and single tier templates for top tier vehicles, they are fixing MM by favoring more top tier tanks in battles. So being bottom tier will be even more pointless than now

https://worldoftanks...-status-update/

OreH75 #2 Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:40 AM

Major

• Player
  • 52846 battles
  • [-NARF] -NARF

View PostseXikanac, on 08 February 2019 - 09:24 AM, said:

Oh boy, instead of adding more dual tier and single tier templates for top tier vehicles, they are fixing MM by favoring more top tier tanks in battles. So being bottom tier will be even more pointless than now

It is still in development and will be tested on a RU server first, once WG thinks it is OK they will apply it to all servers..

but did you actually watch the video? The aim is to reduce the current %bottomtier battles from >50% to <50% of the time exactly what is the most complained issue with the current MM algorithms.

But hey it is easier to cry then actually think for yourself.

Edited by OreH75, 08 February 2019 - 09:41 AM.

SuperOlsson #3 Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23919 battles
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM
Actually no.

1. You will be bottom tier in less battles, if what they say is true.
2. Higher chance to get a decent player as top-tier, meaning less occasions where your team is seriously down in firepower thanks to an idiot being top tier, even more so if one of the top tiers is an arty, meaning less roflstomps.

Edited by SuperOlsson, 08 February 2019 - 09:42 AM.

qpranger #4 Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:43 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 38887 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

I hope I am always bottom tier when I play arty,

all the more earnings and super carry potential.

tajj7 #5 Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28211 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostOreH75, on 08 February 2019 - 08:40 AM, said:

It is still in development and will be tested on a RU server first

Can't see where it says RU server first, it just says in the article -

Block Quote

we will launch a new matchmaker on one of the "live" servers.

Has it been said it will be RU first somewhere else? 

WhoCares01 #6 Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:18 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21460 battles

It's said in the video that the initial test will run on a RU server.

The only minor concern I have is that there seemed to be a significantly higher share of equal tier battles. That might get boring over time, all the tier 8 premiums like SkorpiGs, Su130M, Defenders, ... It's nice for Frontline, Random also live from variety in tanks.

But for sure, better equal tier than always bottom tier!

Edited by WhoCares01, 08 February 2019 - 10:20 AM.

arthurwellsley #7 Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:20 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 54060 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View Posttajj7, on 08 February 2019 - 09:11 AM, said:

YES. The developers said in the video that because it will not test properly on a test server that they intend to introduce the new dynamic template to one, and one only of the RU servers. They say that they will then gather data from that server and tweak the new dynamic mm before general release to all servers.

Less_Than_Three #8 Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:27 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 42820 battles

View Posttajj7, on 08 February 2019 - 10:11 AM, said:

around 9:20 in the video they say they will try it first on an RU server

tajj7 #9 Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28211 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Thanks all, didn't watch the video so hadn't seen that.

Shame EU continues to get shafted then (together with NA), SEA got their improved MM test and now RU will, whilst we have to wait more and more for what is probably the biggest issue with the game right now. 

jabster #10 Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12721 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View Posttajj7, on 08 February 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

Shame EU continues to get shafted then (together with NA), SEA got their improved MM test and now RU will, whilst we have to wait more and more for what is probably the biggest issue with the game right now. 

It’s certainly worth watching the video as it gives you some insight into the devs thoughts and what they’re hoping to achieve.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #11 Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:07 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles
Well, at least the MM will be good on the 11th of December. Didn't say which year though!

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 08 February 2019 - 11:09 AM.

_PanzerBitterbal_ #12 Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:49 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11467 battles

View Postarthurwellsley, on 08 February 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

YES. The developers said in the video that because it will not test properly on a test server that they intend to introduce the new dynamic template to one, and one only of the RU servers. They say that they will then gather data from that server and tweak the new dynamic mm before general release to all servers.

I wonder who cooked up the idea the RU servers are representative for all servers?

SuperOlsson #13 Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23919 battles
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM

View PostWhoCares01, on 08 February 2019 - 10:18 AM, said:

The only minor concern I have is that there seemed to be a significantly higher share of equal tier battles. That might get boring over time, all the tier 8 premiums like SkorpiGs, Su130M, Defenders, ... It's nice for Frontline, Random also live from variety in tanks.

I'd say more full tier 8 battles still beats being bottom tier all the time.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #14 Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:07 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

View Post_PanzerBitterbal_, on 08 February 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

I wonder who cooked up the idea the RU servers are representative for all servers?

Representative as in distribution of players per tier or as in they've different preferences?

pecopad #15 Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29276 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

Amazing, they really are listening to the players.... Can't understand this autist behavior..

We want same tier battles like in frontline has default. +-1 MM when there are few players on queue. 

Ditch +-2 MM

12:15 Added after 4 minutes

View PostWhoCares01, on 08 February 2019 - 10:18 AM, said:

Why would same tier batles be boring? This is a concept I cannot understand... why have a tiered game and balanced tanks on the same tier and then not use it?

We only platoon on tier IX and tier X, to all players like me that like to play this game with friends, anything that is not same tier battles by default isno good.

arthurwellsley #16 Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:22 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 54060 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View Postjabster, on 08 February 2019 - 09:44 AM, said:

It’s certainly worth watching the video as it gives you some insight into the devs thoughts and what they’re hoping to achieve.

I would concur with this view. The video is interesting for a number of points, not the least;

1. Does not mention the different mm on the SEA server,

2. Shows figures for different numbers of tier X in the queue in different game time spans (far fewer back in 2010)

3. Also shows that there can be different numbers of tiers in the queue on different days, and almost seems to suggest that the specials/events/missions that happen to be running on a particular day have an impact on the different numbers of tiers queueing on a particular date.

4. Thus although the templates are there (but have been widened) the mm is going to be more "dynamic" when it considers the pool of tanks that happen to be in the pool on that day. So that if on one day there are a greater percentage of tier X's in the pool it will prioritise some templates, whereas on a different day when the percentage of tier X's is much lower it will prioritise a different set of templates.

5. Overall aims= short queue times, and less often bottom tier.

6. Makes it clear it will be tested only on one RU server, so it's a bit silly to suggest the two EU servers are being "screwed" when this is a test to gather data, and there are in fact seven RU servers, so that is like suggesting that the six other RU servers are being screwed.

7. Devs make it clear that after the test on the RU server they will analyse the data and tweak the mm before release, so I guess do not expect it on EU any time SoonTM

The suggestion that the percentage of tier X's in the pool differs day to day based on missions/events etc. I suspect is not a piece of data that most of us had considered very much.

WhoCares01 #17 Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:39 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21460 battles

View Postpecopad, on 08 February 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

Amazing, they really are listening to the players.... Can't understand this autist behavior..

We want same tier battles like in frontline has default. +-1 MM when there are few players on queue.

Ditch +-2 MM

12:15 Added after 4 minutes

Why would same tier batles be boring? This is a concept I cannot understand... why have a tiered game and balanced tanks on the same tier and then not use it?

We only platoon on tier IX and tier X, to all players like me that like to play this game with friends, anything that is not same tier battles by default isno good.

Because you always see the same tanks, especially the everybodies favorite premiums...

Then there is the case of stock tanks with -2 guns - with +/-2 MM they occasionally see -2 targets that their guns can actually reliably pen. Looking at their little graphics current/new, it actually looks like the tier 8s will be less likely top tier with tier 6/7/8 spread... We will have to see...

jabster #18 Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12721 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View Postarthurwellsley, on 08 February 2019 - 12:22 PM, said:

I would concur with this view. The video is interesting for a number of points, not the least;

1. Does not mention the different mm on the SEA server,

2. Shows figures for different numbers of tier X in the queue in different game time spans (far fewer back in 2010)

3. Also shows that there can be different numbers of tiers in the queue on different days, and almost seems to suggest that the specials/events/missions that happen to be running on a particular day have an impact on the different numbers of tiers queueing on a particular date.

4. Thus although the templates are there (but have been widened) the mm is going to be more "dynamic" when it considers the pool of tanks that happen to be in the pool on that day. So that if on one day there are a greater percentage of tier X's in the pool it will prioritise some templates, whereas on a different day when the percentage of tier X's is much lower it will prioritise a different set of templates.

5. Overall aims= short queue times, and less often bottom tier.

6. Makes it clear it will be tested only on one RU server, so it's a bit silly to suggest the two EU servers are being "screwed" when this is a test to gather data, and there are in fact seven RU servers, so that is like suggesting that the six other RU servers are being screwed.

7. Devs make it clear that after the test on the RU server they will analyse the data and tweak the mm before release, so I guess do not expect it on EU any time SoonTM

The suggestion that the percentage of tier X's in the pool differs day to day based on missions/events etc. I suspect is not a piece of data that most of us had considered very much.

The dynamic part I found interesting as WG previously stated they took ‘snapshots’ of the queue every, I think, thirty minutes and then used that to try and predict what sort of games it need to create. The impression I get now is that the MM will be far more responsive to what tanks are in the queue and not what tanks were in the queue.

FluffyRedFox #19 Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

General

• Player
  • 25286 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF

View Posttajj7, on 08 February 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

Certainly makes me question what was the point of testing the improved matchmaking on SEA if they're just gonna do the exact same thing on RU.

Sfinski #20 Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 36513 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

It was the 26th of July, when they said it will take 6 months to fix the MM. Who's surprised they lied? Again, like always. Over and over again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users