I played with my alt account with less than 50 battles and learned how new user unfriendly this game...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

killer999death #1 Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25189 battles
  • [JHS] JHS

edited

Edited by 11poseidon11, 10 February 2019 - 05:58 PM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to not being constructive

Balc0ra #2 Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 70166 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postkiller999death, on 08 February 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

edited

Yeah, I always thought it was odd that things that help you out are turned off by default. But... the new player tutorial for new accounts "not boot camp" gives you a heads-up on it.

edited

You get a 100% crew etc as rewards for the new stuff. But for most players, that same issue is on tier 9 as it is on tier 4. Most don't have crew trainers or bring crew along with them. So bad crews are on all tiers. Tho they should take Blitz idea. Make 75% crew's free, and 100% for 20K. 50% is a waste of time that many sadly still use. Tho... the first tier 6 you get for free with the token. Comes with a 100% crew too. So it's not that bad there at least.

edited

Type 64 is a relic if the old MM. Even with a 75% crew tier 6 you don't stand much chance vs it. As it has scout MM dpm and view range. Not +2 MM dpm and view range.

edited

It's never been good for newcomers. Even with a 100% crew for free on all tanks and binocs etc tossed your way via missions etc. The complex mechanics kills it off more then the crew, arty and MM does. At least from the people, I've dragged into this game of late. Understanding spotting, overmatch, normalization, camo and effective armor etc.  Tho they show the "how stuff works videos" in the garage. It's not something most instantly pick up. So getting into the game is more punishing then bad UI and crews etc so far for my "recruits". 

Edited by 11poseidon11, 10 February 2019 - 06:00 PM.

_b_ #3 Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:34 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 56130 battles

Think WGs policy is make game as insufferable as possible to get new players to rather spend the price of a full title game on one virtual pixel tank so they can have fun!?

Not sure how clever that is...but if I had to rate a lot of moves WG have done, do, and most likely will continue doing,... I'd give this a solid 2/10 like always :facepalm:

qpranger #4 Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:36 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 36307 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY
All these shortcomings could be easily forgiven if WG brought back WT auf E100.

killer999death #5 Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25189 battles
  • [JHS] JHS

View PostBalc0ra, on 08 February 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

Type 64 is a relic if the old MM. Even with a 75% crew tier 6 you don't stand much chance vs it. As it has scout MM dpm and view range. Not +2 MM dpm and view range.

IMO they damaged the matchmaking too much when they disbanded the old light tank matchmaking and brought in the useless tier 9 and 10 lights. Top tier 6-8 light tanks in a 3-5-7 layout is too OP. Type 64's having a field day killing tier 4 and 5's who have 250-320m view range, tier 8's killing tier 6's the same way. 

WhoCares01 #6 Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15551 battles

Someone mentioned the 100% crews, those are at best a minor help. You get such 100% crews with every tier 1 tank - alas those tanks usually have just two or three crew members. Then you play those tier one tanks for maybe 5 battles before you move to a tier 2. The newbies may have the idea to transfer the tier 1 crew to the ier 2 tank - either a waste of gold (=<100% retraining), or the 100 % crew turns into a 90% crew (for credits). Play the tier 2 tank for 10 battles, transfer the crew to a tier 3, and it's a 80% crew.... If it happens to be a light tank, and if they match the crew layout of the tank - those change very often at those low tiers. Sometimes Commander + gunnner, next Commander+Loader+Driver, next Commander+Gunner+Radioman+Driver, ..., maybe changing from LT to MT to HT - by the time a newbie reaches tier 5 or 6, those two 100% crewmen from the tier 1 tank will be just as bad as the the men that fill up the new crew slots...

And then the limited garage and barrack slots - as the newbie goes up the tech trees, he will buy new tanks while maybe keeping the lower tiers as well (eg. to unlock other trees, or just because the tank was fun to play). Thus he runs out of garage slot => "sell" tier 1 tanks of nations he does not plan to grind anytime soon. Alas, when he has done so with 4 or 5 tanks, he suddenly runs out of barrack slots => disband those "precious" 100% crews. That's exactly what I did when I started with the game 1.5yrs ago...

The whole crew concept is utterly broken at low tiers, and only benefits sealclubbers and maybe WG coffers...

Edited by WhoCares01, 08 February 2019 - 02:59 PM.

Homer_J #7 Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31416 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postkiller999death, on 08 February 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

So I thought I'd play my alt account I have since 2016 but never played it so I started today. Got less than 50 battles in it with 2 tier 4 tanks unlocked and here is my experience.

First of all I noticed how bare the UI was. By default literally nothing is turned on, no map circles to show view range or draw distance, no hit indicators or battle performance log. NOTHING! Things which would be super useful for new players aren't turned on and the game does not say ''hey there are these options which can improve you way of playing''. Nope! So first I used 15 minutes to properly set up UI and other things. Something new players might not even be aware they can do - turn map view circles on.

You only consider these things useful because you are an experienced player.  To many genuine new players it would be information overload.

Second which was extremely annoying and fun breaking as a ''new'' player was the crew. I could thankfully afford 75% crews so with tier 3 and 4 tanks I had. . . . 250-280 meters of range

What happened to the 100% commanders you had in tier 1?  OK, a proper newbie might not realise to move them up but you should.  That would get your view range up and give a 9% boost to the rest of the crew.

And there's the 100% crew with 6th sense you get from the tutorial.

Fourth thing I found amusing was low tier arty. 6 seconds reload time on SU 26 and 10 seconds on a sexton.

You didn't play the arty then?  Takes minutes to aim and then has an aim circle you can fit ten enemies in.  No splash, no stun.  Trust me, playing low tier arty is more frustrating than playing against them.

It's not just matchmaking at fault but other things as well such as UI options not explained,

Did you do the tutorial or did you decide you didn't need to be babied?

OMG_Abaddon #8 Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11789 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

Nevermind I misread.

Edited by OMG_Abaddon, 08 February 2019 - 03:38 PM.

killer999death #9 Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25189 battles
  • [JHS] JHS

View PostHomer_J, on 08 February 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

You only consider these things useful because you are an experienced player.  To many genuine new players it would be information overload.

How would it be information overload if it's just circles on the map? Or a hit marker telling which tank hit you? Granted I'm aware new players will have no idea what a VK36 is or how much pen or damage it has but they could see the name of the tank and look at the tank list realizing it's a +2 tier tank shooting them so better take cower while still possible instead of thinking ''Oh I can bounce half his shots - probably.''

Block Quote

edited

3-ish crew members to move up which lose skill as they are retrained and then you need to add an extra crew member who will be 75% and you are on the same page as I mentioned.

The one crew with 6th sense is nice but as soon as you play more than 1 tank line and let's face it most newbies are going to play multiple lines, it's just a droplet in a big pond.

Block Quote

edited

No I really have not but it doesn't seem to be an issue at low tiers to consistently hit tanks regardless as most tanks are slow. I was literally hit 5 times in a row every few seconds while trying to dodge arty in a t38 tier 3 tank and it's not a slow mule and I know enough to dodge and seek hard cover. Now imagine that with a newbie who has no idea how arty even works (I actually had a friend who had no idea arty has bird view and he played them as TDs). So yeah, not a very good ''newcomer'' experience regardless.

Block Quote

edited

Sadly I did not play it this time, did in 2016 when account was created and it was lackluster back then.

Edited by 11poseidon11, 10 February 2019 - 06:04 PM.

kubawt112 #10 Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View Post_b_, on 08 February 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

Think WGs policy is make game as insufferable as possible to get new players to rather spend the price of a full title game on one virtual pixel tank so they can have fun!?

Not sure how clever that is...but if I had to rate a lot of moves WG have done, do, and most likely will continue doing,... I'd give this a solid 2/10 like always :facepalm:

Wargaming stated once that you're likely to play the game "forever" as long as you stay for a few (six?) weeks. Perhaps the majority of said group of players are so dead-set on playing World of Tanks-go-boom that they accept being degraded until they pay an arm or a leg.

It honestly can't be anything but intentional when they allow such tanks as the IIJ, B2 and Godknowswhatelse to be sold even without the "paywall" of 30,5k gold.

Homer_J #11 Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31416 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postkiller999death, on 09 February 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

Sadly I did not play it this time, did in 2016 when account was created and it was lackluster back then.

Not interested in free gold and equipment then.

Robbie_T #12 Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19102 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

New players should not cry...

-When i started playing...i played a few games and i liked it and went to You tube and google for more info...

-everyone started with bad crews and tanks.....Its a grind game........so you have to grind to get better....(but theres a generation that wants everything for free and right now)

-about the arty's in low tiers i got to give you that those Leffe Leffe are game braking....

The new players got it easy....if you look at new players in the older days.

snowlywhite #13 Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20381 battles

I started playing 1 year ago. After previously reading/watching YT for ~2 weeks(thing which 99.9% of players won't do). I knew what those "circles" do, I knew I had to enable them, I had enough brain to figure out I should save my 100% crew from each line and only use when I reach tier 4(so it gets enough xp during grind to get back to 100%). I retrained for silver, etc.

1st 3-5k battles were beyond crap. If, right now, this game manages to retain 2-3% of the people that try it... it's the 8th wonder of the world. I mean, it takes 10-20k battles to get decent at it(if you play high tiers, not if you seal club in tier 4).

the new play experience? "This game *ucks". That's the new player experience. Especially given he has to compete against players with tens of thousands of battles all the time. Ok, not compete, more like farmed by :P

OMG_Abaddon #14 Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11789 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP
My cousin died 5 times during the tutorial mission where he had a team of bots and fought another team of bots. Most harmless, but he really didn't get enough info after the first walkthrough to tackle a normal game on a tier 1 with bigger dispersion than the screen on the move. So standing still for 5 seconds while some bot is shooting at you isn't fun basically.

11poseidon11 #15 Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:01 PM

• 828 battles
  • [KIDS_] KIDS_

Hello,

This thread has been closed due to not being constructive.

Thank you!

11poseidon11

Edited by 11poseidon11, 10 February 2019 - 07:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users