Jump to content


Racism?


  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Aleksandra_Samusenko_1st #1 Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:58 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 6788 battles
  • 57
  • [801ST] 801ST
  • Member since:
    08-16-2017

If you are trying to join a skirmish and the skirmish commander types "CZ or PL only" is this racist?

 

I could understand if they wrote, we only accept PL or CZ because we use Discord or Teamspeak, but to just type that without a reason???

 

 



Pansenmann #2 Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:14 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 35543 battles
  • 13,342
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-17-2012

Maybe they wanted to play with czech and polish tanks  only?

I don't know :)



M5A1 #3 Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 19758 battles
  • 3,650
  • [JHS] JHS
  • Member since:
    04-01-2012
Well maybe they ARE using voice comms and just didn't say it because they thought it was obvious.

Nishi_Kinuyo #4 Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 8397 battles
  • 5,654
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011
Neither PL nor CZ are races, so no, its not racism.

Aleksandra_Samusenko_1st #5 Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:36 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 6788 battles
  • 57
  • [801ST] 801ST
  • Member since:
    08-16-2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

 

Maybe it's Prejudice?

 


Edited by Aleksandra_Samusenko_1st, 10 February 2019 - 04:44 PM.


Nishi_Kinuyo #6 Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:44 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 8397 battles
  • 5,654
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

View PostAleksandra_Samusenko_1st, on 10 February 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

As your link clearly indicates:

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 10 February 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

Neither PL nor CZ are races, so no, its not racism.


ralesm1989 #7 Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:50 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 31585 battles
  • 1,910
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL
  • Member since:
    10-19-2012

View PostAleksandra_Samusenko_1st, on 10 February 2019 - 01:58 AM, said:

If you are trying to join a skirmish and the skirmish commander types "CZ or PL only" is this racist?

 

No it's not. Useless topic and question.

Tealo #8 Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:06 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 38222 battles
  • 205
  • [RIFF] RIFF
  • Member since:
    04-26-2012
Well under uk law it is deemed Racist to type ‘CZ or PL only’ therefore yes its illegal under uk law but is that being racist being UK law but not under Polish law..

SuedKAT #9 Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:50 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,778
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

View PostTealo, on 10 February 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

Well under uk law it is deemed Racist to type ‘CZ or PL only’ therefore yes its illegal under uk law but is that being racist being UK law but not under Polish law..

 

So your country of origin is a race in the UK? Got an Asian mate that's born in the UK but now lives here, I always considered him an Asian, but I guess he's an UKian instead then.  

Homer_J #10 Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:02 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 31411 battles
  • 34,204
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostSuedKAT, on 10 February 2019 - 04:50 PM, said:

 

So your country of origin is a race in the UK?

Nope, but discrimination against a nationality is covered by race discrimination laws.



SuedKAT #11 Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,778
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

View PostHomer_J, on 10 February 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

Nope, but discrimination against a nationality is covered by race discrimination laws.

 

Very similar here, UK laws tend to be quite similar to the rest of the Europe apart from health and safety and some "political correctness regulations" which are a lot stricter in the UK, however that still don't make it racism, it makes it discrimination in certain situations, excluding all but two nationalities in your guild/clan/group what ever in a computer game ain't one of them. 

jabster #12 Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:46 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • 25,346
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostSuedKAT, on 10 February 2019 - 04:50 PM, said:

 

So your country of origin is a race in the UK? Got an Asian mate that's born in the UK but now lives here, I always considered him an Asian, but I guess he's an UKian instead then.  

 

It a bit more complex than that. The common useage of the term racism has moved on from based on race to include concepts such as ethnic origin, nationality etc. Indeed if you think it’s solely based on race then racism is so vague as to be meaningless or it doesn’t exist at all.


Edited by jabster, 11 February 2019 - 10:16 AM.


qpranger #13 Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 36285 battles
  • 5,933
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY
  • Member since:
    12-25-2013

View PostAleksandra_Samusenko_1st, on 10 February 2019 - 02:58 AM, said:

If you are trying to join a skirmish and the skirmish commander types "CZ or PL only" is this racist?

 

I think it is reverse racist and you should be happy to avoid that crowd :)

SiliconSidewinder #14 Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 28517 battles
  • 6,504
  • Member since:
    09-16-2012

quiet clearly there is nothing wrong when you set rules at who can join your private team.

that people have indoctrinated themselves to the point that they believe it's not is far more worrying.

 

as for racism:

racism is a ideaology or belive system that grants virtues and traits based on race to people.

 

As allways there are offcourse many people out there who try to redefine the term so it suits their personal view of the world the finest, but discussing those would clearly break the boundaries of this forums rules.

 



SuedKAT #15 Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:05 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,778
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

View Postjabster, on 11 February 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

 

It a bit more complex than that. The common useage of the term racism has moved on from based on race to include concepts such as ethnic origin, nationality etc. Indeed if you think it’s solely based on race then racism is so vague as to be meaningless or it doesn’t exist at all.

 

I see, must be a UK thing then since here that's not the case, racism is still racism and discrimination due to other causes are something different. 

jabster #16 Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:34 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • 25,346
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostSuedKAT, on 11 February 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

 

I see, must be a UK thing then since here that's not the case, racism is still racism and discrimination due to other causes are something different. 

 

Fair enough but, isn’t there always a but, what do you define as a race then. Is it a social construct, is it a biological construct. If it really has no real construct then what is racism?

SuedKAT #17 Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:44 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,778
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

View Postjabster, on 11 February 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

 

Fair enough but, isn’t there always a but, what do you define as a race then. Is it a social construct, is it a biological construct. If it really has no real construct then what is racism?

 

Personally I don't define race any further than human but at the same time I find it silly deluding the meaning of something like racism, that will only hurt the ones that actually are affected by it and focus even more on the ones that today get offended by anything and everything without any reason what so ever.

jabster #18 Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:52 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • 25,346
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostSuedKAT, on 11 February 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

 

Personally I don't define race any further than human but at the same time I find it silly deluding the meaning of something like racism, that will only hurt the ones that actually are affected by it and focus even more on the ones that today get offended by anything and everything without any reason what so ever.

 

So, and no I'm not trying to be arsey here, under you defintion of race racism doesn’t exist so no one can be affected by it. I do agree with the second part though but I'd word it as just because some people will claim racism at the drop of a hat that doesn’t mean racism isn’t a problem

Edited by jabster, 11 February 2019 - 03:05 PM.


SuedKAT #19 Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:15 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,778
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

View Postjabster, on 11 February 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

 

So, and no I'm not trying to be arsey here, under you defintion of race racism doesn’t exist so no one can’t be affected by it. I do agree with the second part though but I'd word it as just because some people will claim racism at the drop of a hat that doesn’t mean racism isn’t a problem

 

You asked me what I would define as race to me it's being human and nothing more, however that's my own perspective on it which don't change the law or textbox definition of it, nor does it mean that people ain't affected by it on a daily basis in some way or form, to me however someone treating someone else badly is an [edited]regardless of what it's defined as. As a society however we're trying to battle certain things and thus we create laws, we put labels on things and if we delude the meaning of them they become pointless and in the end we don't help the ones that need it, nor do we punish/change the views of the ones that need it.

jabster #20 Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:08 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • 25,346
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostSuedKAT, on 11 February 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

 

You asked me what I would define as race to me it's being human and nothing more, however that's my own perspective on it which don't change the law or textbox definition of it, nor does it mean that people ain't affected by it on a daily basis in some way or form, to me however someone treating someone else badly is an [edited]regardless of what it's defined as. As a society however we're trying to battle certain things and thus we create laws, we put labels on things and if we delude the meaning of them they become pointless and in the end we don't help the ones that need it, nor do we punish/change the views of the ones that need it.

 

Again I agree but, another but sorry, the flip side of claiming anything is racism is claiming that’s not racism as ‘they’ aren’t a race.

 

Taking the OP as one of the cases, is what was said racisim, well I suppose technically it could be but that somewhat what seems to be fighting the wrong battle. Is dismissing it as PL/CZ isn’t a race (I know you didn’t say that) just as stupid, in my opinion yes.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users