A word of advice for the "banwaved" players using "legal" mods

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

NekoPuffer_PPP #1 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:06 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 34201 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

WG clearly states upon your first time entering the mod hub: WG is not responsible for the mods you use.

This means, if you've read the article with listed allowed/not allowed modifications, you should know which mods you shouldn't be using.

The fact that they're not responsible also means that even if you download a modpack from their site, which may or may not contain illegal modifications, this does not allow you to use the illegal modification/add-on contained within the modpack.

Basically, if you got banned, it's your own damn fault. Sorry lol.

For example: how exactly are some of these legal?

Trust your own judgement, better be safe than sorry... and play fair.

Cheers. :coin:

BR33K1_PAWAH #2 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6467 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

But i got banned by those bastards and i use only legal mods from <insertname> pack.

Also i spend millions on this game and i demand immediate refund.

Also i'm gonna sue WG in European Court of Human Rights!!

antwerp_fighter #3 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:14 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 47987 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

thanks for the video, wow, the mod almost changes the whole game...

btw, in the video "aim time indicator" and "white wreck/white track when tracked" and "nearest enemy indicator" legal???

Edited by antwerp_fighter, 13 February 2019 - 06:18 PM.

AliceUnchained #4 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:15 PM

General

• Player
  • 39029 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 13 February 2019 - 06:06 PM, said:

WG clearly states upon your first time entering the mod hub: WG is not responsible for the mods you use.

This means, if you've read the article with listed allowed/not allowed modifications, you should know which mods you shouldn't be using.

The fact that they're not responsible also means that even if you download a modpack from their site, which may or may not contain illegal modifications, this does not allow you to use the illegal modification/add-on contained within the modpack.

While I am all for fair play, and a MOD free WoT (with the exception of aesthetics and QoL MODS) I do feel that Wargaming should ensure that each and every MOD on their portal is 100% legit. If a MOD pack contains as little as 1% or even 0,1% questionable modifications it should not be on their portal. Simple as that. Players should be 100% certain that any MOD downloaded from that portal will not get them any issues, else the portal should just be taken down.

FTR #5 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:15 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16052 battles
Quick question, I assume all mods available on wot official website are allowed? Cus I didn't bother checking.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #6 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:22 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34103 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostAliceUnchained, on 13 February 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

While I am all for fair play, and a MOD free WoT (with the exception of aesthetics and QoL MODS) I do feel that Wargaming should ensure that each and every MOD on their portal is 100% legit. If a MOD pack contains as little as 1% or even 0,1% questionable modifications it should not be on their portal. Simple as that. Players should be 100% certain that any MOD downloaded from that portal will not get them any issues, else the portal should just be taken down.

WG explicitly state that all mods on their portal are checked and approved by WG before being included so that should not be an issue.

https://worldoftanks...ular-mod-packs/

fwhaatpiraat #7 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 58674 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Vanilla mod best mod.

DracheimFlug #8 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:29 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10000 battles

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 13 February 2019 - 06:22 PM, said:

WG explicitly state that all mods on their portal are checked and approved by WG before being included so that should not be an issue.

They could have checked and approved them and still missed something. 

Silly question, but how are the mods updated? Does one have to go back to the portal for an update or are they self updating? Either way the updates might not be being checked and approved.... 

NekoPuffer_PPP #9 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:31 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 34201 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

While I fully agree with this:

View PostAliceUnchained, on 13 February 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

And while this is entirely true:

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 13 February 2019 - 06:22 PM, said:

It's also a fact that People using Aslain's got banned, and that the modpack Dez used in that video just to show how ridiculous they can be, there are indeed some very questionable mods, and you'll see some that were explicitly stated as illegal, such as enemy's reload indicator, etc.

This brings us to another fact: WG's mod-checkers are not thorough enough, far from it. The bad mods were glossed over in their reviews and made it through to the hub.

Errors like this can always happen, anywhere, and only the end user (you) are responsible for your own choices on what to and not to use, because chances are - if it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't - a phrase applicable to numerous things in everyday life.

Homer_J #10 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32425 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 13 February 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

It's also a fact that People using Aslain's got banned, 

The Aslains I used many years ago updated it's self from (an) external source(s), including adding new mods into the available list.  Does the WG Mod hub version do that too?  If so then there is no way WG can be sure it will stay clean after you have first downloaded it from the hub.  They could also say that because you let it update that you are responsible for whatever gets added after they checked it.

Balc0ra #11 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72874 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 13 February 2019 - 06:06 PM, said:

Basically, if you got banned, it's your own damn fault. Sorry lol.

Tho 100% correct that it is up to you to know what mods you install. Even in a mod pack from a WG site. The common theme in most of these topics is that they have not done anything.... this patch.

Thing is whit these ban waves. We don't know if they got banned for something they used in the current version. Or 2 patches ago. As they make their list months at the time on who will get banned next time... before they ban anyone. So they could have used a different mod pack 3 months ago that made then, not the mod they used via the mod site now later. One topic here is a perfect example of that. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 13 February 2019 - 06:56 PM.

wsatnutter #12 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:55 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26454 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

if in doubt give it a clout

only use a mod pack from the hub and not from external sites who fill it full of gubbins and little elves who infest your resmods folder

Homer_J #13 Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32425 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postwsatnutter, on 13 February 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

if in doubt give it a clout

only use a mod pack from the hub and not from external sites who fill it full of gubbins and little elves who infest your resmods folder

I'm not entirely convinced that is safe, especially with modpacks like Aslains.

The only safe option is vanilla and even then I'm only maybe 98% certain.

FrantisekBascovansky #14 Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29830 battles

I saw some videos where CC reviewed the well known mod, available in Modhub. Which contained things like zoomout, or reload timer indicator, or gun direction minimap indicator. How the hell can these be legal?

Erwin_Von_Braun #15 Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42570 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHomer_J, on 13 February 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

I'm not entirely convinced that is safe, especially with modpacks like Aslains.

The only safe option is vanilla and even then I'm only maybe 98% certain.

Aye.

Been vanilla since day 1.

Don't need mods to help me be terrible at the game.

eekeeboo #16 Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:35 PM

EU Video Content Manager

• WG Staff
  • 47047 battles

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 13 February 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

Spoiler

:arta:

View PostDracheimFlug, on 13 February 2019 - 05:29 PM, said:

They could have checked and approved them and still missed something. 

Silly question, but how are the mods updated? Does one have to go back to the portal for an update or are they self updating? Either way the updates might not be being checked and approved.... 

That's not how the mod hub works. The aim is that mods are checked. As far as I'm aware there are no illegal mods currently reported that available there. There are some mods that people think should be illegal, but thus far I have not seen a single one judged as being illegal being on there. 

EldritchRogue #17 Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4711 battles

View Posteekeeboo, on 13 February 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

:arta:

That's not how the mod hub works. The aim is that mods are checked. As far as I'm aware there are no illegal mods currently reported that available there. There are some mods that people think should be illegal, but thus far I have not seen a single one judged as being illegal being on there. 

Exactly. All mods inside and outside the modpacks available on wgmods are 100% legal to use. As someone posted above, in the new official mod page post made by WG they clearly state that ALL mods in that page are legal.

The people getting banned use some extra mod downloaded elsewhere.

Homer_J #18 Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:41 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32425 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostFrantisekBascovansky, on 13 February 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

I saw some videos where CC reviewed the well known mod, available in Modhub. Which contained things like zoomout, or reload timer indicator, or gun direction minimap indicator. How the hell can these be legal?

I agree but WG's stance is that as long as the reload timer is a best guess based on the gun and possible equipment etc. and the gun direction is only for tanks within render range that's OK. 

It's not about what you or I think is a cheat, i still think over target markers is a cheat, you should have to hold ALT down if you want all that information.:izmena:

18:43 Added after 2 minutes

View Posteekeeboo, on 13 February 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

In the case of Aslains though, which auto updates, could that then introduce a banned mod at a later date or is the updating feature disabled on the mod hub version?

FatigueGalaxy #19 Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:54 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21695 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostHomer_J, on 13 February 2019 - 06:37 PM, said:

The Aslains I used many years ago updated it's self from (an) external source(s), including adding new mods into the available list.  Does the WG Mod hub version do that too?  If so then there is no way WG can be sure it will stay clean after you have first downloaded it from the hub.  They could also say that because you let it update that you are responsible for whatever gets added after they checked it.

It downloads stuff from Aslain's servers, mostly cosmetic stuff like vehicle icons, skins, etc. It's done like that so you don't have to download 1+ GB file... Nothing gets added to the list of available mods so if it's on Modhub, it should be checked and approved by WG. Also, there is no way to update it - you have to download a new installer.

However, there are two versions of said installer as far as I'm aware. Modhub has "censored" version without any 18+ mods (like loading screens with naked ladies) and you can download 18+ installer from Aslain's website. Not sure if that can get you banned.

Also, I'm sure there are a lot of fakes due to popularity of this modpack so if people get banned for using Aslain's modpack, they probably got it from unauthorized source with some unwanted "additions". We can't exclude infected systems, too - I wouldn't be surprised if people with trojans get banned because of suspicious network activity or because the virus was messing up with WoT files, etc.

eekeeboo #20 Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:10 PM

EU Video Content Manager

• WG Staff
  • 47047 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 13 February 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

I agree but WG's stance is that as long as the reload timer is a best guess based on the gun and possible equipment etc. and the gun direction is only for tanks within render range that's OK. 

It's not about what you or I think is a cheat, i still think over target markers is a cheat, you should have to hold ALT down if you want all that information.:izmena:

18:43 Added after 2 minutes

In the case of Aslains though, which auto updates, could that then introduce a banned mod at a later date or is the updating feature disabled on the mod hub version?

It could be an auto update issue, but as far as I'm aware and checked the mods are checked as updated. That's not to say though that the mod does what it says it does. You never know if someone added a funky line of code to make it a little flamboyant. In these cases, if a mod is in the mod-hub and cleared and found to be the reason for a ban then these appeals take place, reviewed and lifted. But this is important for people to actually be honest and not claim innocence when using funky mods. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users