Option to make stats (Service Record) private or friends-only

Private Statistics When

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Hiding your stats (137 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Wanna hide your stats?

1. Yeah sure, why not (76 votes [55.47%])

Percentage of vote: 55.47%

2. Nah, I wanna brag (25 votes [18.25%])

Percentage of vote: 18.25%

3. I'm a hamster, stats are irrelevant (13 votes [9.49%])

Percentage of vote: 9.49%

4. I don't care about you, your opinions, or this poll (9 votes [6.57%])

Percentage of vote: 6.57%

5. I disagree with anyone who picks the 4th answer (3 votes [2.19%])

Percentage of vote: 2.19%

6. This poll has personality issues (11 votes [8.03%])

Percentage of vote: 8.03%

Vote Hide poll

Slyspy #41 Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14457 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postyaourti, on 03 March 2019 - 02:07 AM, said:

Player stats should not be available in battle, everywhere else it's fine.

This, it is were possible. I like to be nosy.

Humansland #42 Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13919 battles
  • [BULL] BULL
Stats should be visible to anyone at ALL times. I support TOTAL transparency.

NekoPuffer_PPP #43 Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:04 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 32880 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostHumansland, on 04 March 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

Nishi_Kinuyo #44 Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:31 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 8390 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 04 March 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

+1 for Renge-chon.

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 06 March 2019 - 11:25 AM.

Jigabachi #45 Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:32 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHumansland, on 04 March 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

1. And if that includes running matches... why should they be visible there? What is the point of your transparency there?

2. The only way to make them visible in a running match is using XVM, so they aren't visible to everyone. Where is your transparency?

3. What if your transparency causes lots of negative issues?

That sounds more like "I want it that way and don't care about any consequences. Because transparency is regarded as something good. And it's such a nice word."

Humansland #46 Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13919 battles
  • [BULL] BULL

View PostJigabachi, on 05 March 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

1. And if that includes running matches... why should they be visible there? What is the point of your transparency there?

2. The only way to make them visible in a running match is using XVM, so they aren't visible to everyone. Where is your transparency?

3. What if your transparency causes lots of negative issues?

That sounds more like "I want it that way and don't care about any consequences. Because transparency is regarded as something good. And it's such a nice word."

1. It should be. No point other than its visible. Take that as you want.
2. I would not mind if XVM would get incorporated somehow in the actual game and would be visible during gameplay for everyone to see.
3. meh.. yea, you are right, we need languange filter also to filter out negative/swearing words. Also, we need an ingame timer and parental lock so kids do not exceed the allotted playtime. What else?? :)

To sum it up, stats being visible all times would be in everyone's best interest

OllieCromwell #47 Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 43775 battles
  • [GENB] GENB

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 03 March 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

Four checkboxes and it is all fixed :

[ ] stats public in garage but not in battle

And how do you envision this ? ...

In a vanilla client those stats are not available in battle, it's the mods (xvm anyone ?) that show them in battle, it shows your stats from it's own database that gets refreshed on a regular basis (not real-time). 

It's a totally different mechanism from the regular (vanilla) client, that communicates directly with the Wot database/API. So unless you mean 'Ban XVM' (and all other mods that show stats in any way, shape or form) I don't think that 4th option is viable.

Edited by OllieCromwell, 05 March 2019 - 02:16 PM.

IncandescentGerbil #48 Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35775 battles
Wn8 junkies would stop playing if other people couldn't see how awesome they are. I doubt WG will ban it, for that reason.

NekoPuffer_PPP #49 Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:50 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 32880 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostHumansland, on 05 March 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

2. I would not mind if XVM would get incorporated somehow in the actual game and would be visible during gameplay for everyone to see.
3. meh.. yea, you are right, we need languange filter also to filter out negative/swearing words. Also, we need an ingame timer and parental lock so kids do not exceed the allotted playtime. What else?? :)

To sum it up, stats being visible all times would be in everyone's best interest

4. we need to make the actual game less frustrating and separate mentally challenged players from normal, helpful players who actually care about winning.

There would be no need for any additional "negative/swearing words" filter.

gpalsson #50 Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:05 PM

General

• Player
  • 24477 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

It's not really the service record that needs to be private, it's the player names in battles that needs to be private. Sure,service record could also be private, that's fine but sites like XVM get their data from the API. That one can be blocked for all I care, or let it be like it is that's fine too. But if they don't make the names of players in battle disappear, even if records are "sealed" players will focus other players purely based on clan tags or whatever. 

Hide player names (or make it optional) in game, and problem should be solved.

I don't really care about some person looking up my service record after the battle.

Jigabachi #51 Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:27 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

You  Everyone

Still: Why?

Block Quote

3. meh.. yea, you are right, we need languange filter also to filter out negative/swearing words. Also, we need an ingame timer and parental lock so kids do not exceed the allotted playtime. What else?? 

Sooo... you want to ban the effect and not the cause?

Besides that, I wasn't just talking about the chat. What about all the other toxicity it creates?

Edited by Jigabachi, 06 March 2019 - 01:37 AM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #52 Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:26 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 8390 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

No, having them visible in garage and on the website or the mobile api is good.

XVM (stats) is bad. XVM causes a fair bit of the toxicity in this game.

No need for convoluted workarounds like hiding player names during battles; ban xvm instead.

tajj7 #53 Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27246 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostHumansland, on 05 March 2019 - 01:04 PM, said:

How is it in everyone's best interests exactly? 

In-game stats currently causes -

- Player focusing based on stats alone not tactical/game situation. (and it goes both ways, good players get focused, yoloed, artied etc. because people see they are good, bad players get similarly dismissed or ignored because they are perceived not a threat)

- Toxicity in game based on players being able to see other stats.

- People suicide, quit, don't bother etc. based on what they see as the 'on paper' ability of each team, if their team is bad according to XVM, certain types of players yolo suicide or just go camp in base etc. 

I am struggling to see who's best interests you are referring to, but its certainly not everyone. 

gpalsson #54 Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:37 AM

General

• Player
  • 24477 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 06 March 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

No need for convoluted workarounds like hiding player names during battles; ban xvm instead.

First of all, to clear up any confusion:

XVM is a lot more than stats. It's also where the original minimap improvements came from before WG after 3 years decided to implement a functional UI. And much more like that, minimap was just an example.

XVM has brought a lot of good things to WoT, no doubt about that.

I don't think banning XVM is viable, even if XVM was only stats. There would quickly be a mod called XVN that did the same, or it would simply exist as a cheat mod - and this would be quite bad because XVM is pretty much accepted by players and a lot of people wouldn't feel they cheated by installing XVM which in turn might make them install other mods that are worse.

Also, even if XVM suddenly didn't exist, there would be clan names, or known players that would get "attention" from arty too.

I don't know why anyone would think it was important to see enemy player names anywhere except maybe after the battle. It's debateable how important it is to see friendly names too IMO.

Nishi_Kinuyo #55 Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 8390 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View Postgpalsson, on 06 March 2019 - 11:37 AM, said:

First of all, to clear up any confusion:

XVM is a lot more than stats. It's also where the original minimap improvements came from before WG after 3 years decided to implement a functional UI. And much more like that, minimap was just an example.

XVM has brought a lot of good things to WoT, no doubt about that.

I don't think banning XVM is viable, even if XVM was only stats. There would quickly be a mod called XVN that did the same, or it would simply exist as a cheat mod - and this would be quite bad because XVM is pretty much accepted by players and a lot of people wouldn't feel they cheated by installing XVM which in turn might make them install other mods that are worse.

Also, even if XVM suddenly didn't exist, there would be clan names, or known players that would get "attention" from arty too.

I don't know why anyone would think it was important to see enemy player names anywhere except maybe after the battle. It's debateable how important it is to see friendly names too IMO.

What do you mean not bannable?

Just put it in the FPP as a blanket ban making additional player stats forbidden to be shown in battle, or something along those lines.

After all; xvm stats is one of the causes for toxicity. Trying to treat the symptoms instead of the cause is just silly.

"Oh, you got pneumonia, lemme give you some coughing syrup to 'fix' it."

If they hide player names, I might as well be playing with bots rather than actual humans¹.

At least by showing the names I can look for fellow forumites, clan members, or other friends who happen to randomly be in my battle. And that has happened before.

Hiding those names solves nothing.

gpalsson #56 Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:16 PM

General

• Player
  • 24477 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 06 March 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

What do you mean not bannable?

Just put it in the FPP as a blanket ban making additional player stats forbidden to be shown in battle, or something along those lines.

After all; xvm stats is one of the causes for toxicity. Trying to treat the symptoms instead of the cause is just silly.

"Oh, you got pneumonia, lemme give you some coughing syrup to 'fix' it."

If they hide player names, I might as well be playing with bots rather than actual humans¹.

At least by showing the names I can look for fellow forumites, clan members, or other friends who happen to randomly be in my battle. And that has happened before.

Hiding those names solves nothing.

I would argue that what you are proposing is in fact the exact thing you are advocating against, namely not addressing the root cause to why stats are available in battles. 

Hiding player names would not lead (for me) to anything like what you are saying. I don't have players names displayed on my hud just tank type and when I communicate I don't write "please killerXX1_badboy_sniper help me", I write "Super Pershing please help" and I don't (and never have) cared about player names. So I don't buy that argument. And they could be available in the after battle report.

To have player names in the game just because you a few times met someone you know and said "hi" is a weak argument in my opinion for having something you yourself say adds to a bad environment.

Edit: Also if it really is a big deal I supposed they could simply add an option to let clan and people on friend list be visible in battle.

Edited by gpalsson, 06 March 2019 - 12:21 PM.

Jumping_Turtle #57 Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 65875 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 06 March 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

Ban toxic players.

HassenderZerhacker #58 Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:54 PM

Major

• Player
  • 29144 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 06 March 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

you mean so they can hide that sort of thing:

shot_306.jpg

shot_309.jpg

without transparency, wrongdoings cannot be shown.

battles like these are a complete waste of time, from both sides.

Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 06 March 2019 - 05:57 PM.

gpalsson #59 Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

General

• Player
  • 24477 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 06 March 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

you mean so they can hide that sort of thing:

shot_306.jpg

shot_309.jpg

without transparency, wrongdoings cannot be shown.

battles like these are a complete waste of time, from both sides.

No, it simply means that it's time to put on the bigboy carrypants on.

nakkipeppu #60 Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:54 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32660 battles
  • [LGGF] LGGF

View PostOllieCromwell, on 05 March 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

And how do you envision this ? ...

In a vanilla client those stats are not available in battle, it's the mods (xvm anyone ?) that show them in battle, it shows your stats from it's own database that gets refreshed on a regular basis (not real-time). 

It's a totally different mechanism from the regular (vanilla) client, that communicates directly with the Wot database/API. So unless you mean 'Ban XVM' (and all other mods that show stats in any way, shape or form) I don't think that 4th option is viable.

Regardless of how old stats are, xvm needs to link the player name (which afaik is the unique id xvm uses) to the their database to pull the service record. Client needs to stop broadcasting the name to the API during the match, or, say, if it's required for some other function (or it's pulled from some other method during the match), salt it so that it can't be matched to a service record at an external source. Toggling it by player's choice shouldn't be a big step after that works.

This basically happens every time a player changes a name - he shows as white for 1-2 weeks before the name gets added to xvm database and starts getting linked in the match.

I thoroughly support the right to hide stats for everyone. It creates positive gameplay effect through removal of the negatives that are already mentioned several times in this thread, it levels the playfield (xvm user right now enjoy the availability of data that's otherwise unavailable during the match, which IS how WG used to describe cheats), and honestly, a game should respect a persons privacy if s/he chooses so.

Also tagged with Private, Statistics, When

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users