LT advice

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

SuedKAT #1 Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:51 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I've been picking up some LT's recently and I greatly enjoy playing some of them however now I'm at a bit of a conundrum to what to go for.

I'm soon done with the  VK 28.01 which was quite the enjoyable experience, but the SPIC looks atrocious and even though the HWK 12 looks slightly better it still looks rather bad, the RU 251 looks decent but not something that would be worth to grind for and lets not talk about the tier 10 trash wagon. Are the SPIC and HWK 12 even worth playing at all?

I'm aiming to be done with the T37 soon as well, but I don't get along with it at all, it's the size of a HT and almost as sluggish, feels like driving a bus after the nippy little joy package that is the Chaffee, still though I enjoy the Blackdog and the M41D so I plan on getting the regular M41 Bulldog and most likely the T49 as well. However I'm debating with my self if I also should start grinding towards the T71DA, the M7 and T21 seem decent enough, but is it even worth it these days, I mean it was a long time ago since I feared the yolo rush of autoloading LT's, but is the T71DA good enough to warrant the grind these days?

My Type T-34 grind is soon done as well and I plan on picking up the 59-16 and WZ-131 but I don't see the point going any further than that up that particular line. 

Unlocked the AMX 12t a little while ago and damn it's so damn fun that I've managed to unlock the AMX 13 75 without even trying, just waiting for some free XP to unlock the engine on it. However further up than that I'm unsure of, the B-C 12t seems to be a bit meh but still workable, the 13 90 looks fun and seem to perform quite nice from what I've seen and the 13 105 seems to be one of the only workable tier 10 LT's aside from the king that is the T-100LT but is it worth grinding the line?

I might start the USSR line some time soon, but just the thought of grinding through the MT-25 again makes me feel ill inside.

//SuedKAT

vasilinhorulezz #2 Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23240 battles

T71 is probably the best tier VII LT, although I sold the T37 after the LT changes, T49 is still good with the 90mm gun, I still haven't sold the Sheridan,

from the Chinese I found tier 8 and tier 9 pretty decent, but the tier 10 sucks horribly.

Best lines are the Russian and the French,

the German is probably one of the worst, at least the tier X (if not the worst).

WoT_RU_Doing #3 Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

Major

• Player
  • 54328 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-
T71 DA is great. But what is worth playing depends very much what you want to achieve. Personally I have a number of lights that I keep in my garage, including the all the tier 5's, the M5A1, VK, MT25, and T71DA. I've also got the RU 251 because it's a great tier 8 with a derpy gun, but haven't really used it much since then, and though I've researched it, I haven't bought the tier X. I've got all the other tier X's, but rarely play them. For my purposes, I'll play whatever gets a particular mission done, or whatever gives me a good credit return most of the time. For the latter, the T71 DA is normally quite good. However, I should point out that my tech tree lights primary function is to provide crews to my premiums.

fwhaatpiraat #4 Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54426 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
I think you are right about the German line. Although I quite like the ru251 (not the best, but worth playing imo), the entire line is not worth it. The French line really is, the t7 has bad view range but is enjoyable. Tier 8 bc12t is a really nice vehicle, really underrated. Doesn't have the camo and size of the elc, but it is nimble and the gun is much better. Honestly a great tank imo. Even better is the 13-90, which is the best of the line imo. Tier x can have its moments, but against tier x tanks it really struggles. T71 and T49 (derp) are really worth it. Chinese lights are so so imo. I like the tier 8 and loved the tier 7 before the rework. Haven't played ruski lights, but tier 9 and 10 seem really worth it.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #5 Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:28 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

T71 is a very good light but notoriously expensive to run. One heat round for 150 damage and 210mm pen costs 5600 credits. That's 33,600 credits for one magazine and you'll need it since the standard pen is 145mm APCR!

Making the problem worse, it got 3 man crew so you'd have to play a lot of battles in it to have a decent crew.

59-16 is a great tank with one limitation IMO which is the shell count, you can run out of ammo easily in long battles. It's a small target with great camo and mobility.

The 13 90 is just perfect, from zero to hero in one patch. It had a really atrocious gun with awkward reload time till the light tanks rebalance. Now it's a joy to play and one of the best lights in the game.

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 09 March 2019 - 08:12 PM.

Laatikkomafia #6 Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:30 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 23076 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I'd go for the Sovjet, Sovjet or Sovjet LTs.

SuNo_TeSLa #7 Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 42917 battles
  • [SWEPH] SWEPH
I like the trench and chinese the best, worst line is probably the german (tiers 7,9,10 are all bad)

Lord_Nekon_Targaryen #8 Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 33964 battles
Wanna advice? If you want to play LT, grind the soviet one, T100 LT, and buy LT 432 or how is that thing called. Wanna even better advice? Don't play light tanks.. unless ur masochystic.

LordMuffin #9 Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 50371 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostSuedKAT, on 09 March 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

I've been picking up some LT's recently and I greatly enjoy playing some of them however now I'm at a bit of a conundrum to what to go for.

I'm soon done with the  VK 28.01 which was quite the enjoyable experience, but the SPIC looks atrocious and even though the HWK 12 looks slightly better it still looks rather bad, the RU 251 looks decent but not something that would be worth to grind for and lets not talk about the tier 10 trash wagon. Are the SPIC and HWK 12 even worth playing at all?

I'm aiming to be done with the T37 soon as well, but I don't get along with it at all, it's the size of a HT and almost as sluggish, feels like driving a bus after the nippy little joy package that is the Chaffee, still though I enjoy the Blackdog and the M41D so I plan on getting the regular M41 Bulldog and most likely the T49 as well. However I'm debating with my self if I also should start grinding towards the T71DA, the M7 and T21 seem decent enough, but is it even worth it these days, I mean it was a long time ago since I feared the yolo rush of autoloading LT's, but is the T71DA good enough to warrant the grind these days?

My Type T-34 grind is soon done as well and I plan on picking up the 59-16 and WZ-131 but I don't see the point going any further than that up that particular line. 

Unlocked the AMX 12t a little while ago and damn it's so damn fun that I've managed to unlock the AMX 13 75 without even trying, just waiting for some free XP to unlock the engine on it. However further up than that I'm unsure of, the B-C 12t seems to be a bit meh but still workable, the 13 90 looks fun and seem to perform quite nice from what I've seen and the 13 105 seems to be one of the only workable tier 10 LT's aside from the king that is the T-100LT but is it worth grinding the line?

I might start the USSR line some time soon, but just the thought of grinding through the MT-25 again makes me feel ill inside.

//SuedKAT

Dont play lights unless you play a premium light,  T71 DA or a Russian T9-T10 light or French T7, T9 or T10.

The rest are rather rubbish imo, especially now when WG is saying that you either buy a premium tank or play an inferior tank (T8).

And we will probably see same thing happen at T9 within this year (premium T9 tank which is asuperior version to tech tree variant) and T10 in a few years.

geoff99 #10 Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:54 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 41238 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

OP, to answer your questions

1. No SPIC and HWK12 not easy/fun/good. And RU251 is ok but not worth the grind.

2. T71 DA is very good. T49/90mm is good.

3. I agree stick at WZ131. WZ132 is also good but has similar style.

4.  French, don't know. I can't get on with autoloading lights.

5. Russians fine. T-100LT may be worth the grind if you want a Tier 10 light. Its not nearly as good as a Tier 10 med but you can go very fast and be difficult to see or hit. :)

Note that the new Wheelies have great HE rounds, so any paper lights (all but Russia) will be vulnerable. We may not know for a while how much they will change the light meta.

gpalsson #11 Posted 09 March 2019 - 11:22 PM

General

• Player
  • 24477 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Just buy some premium lights. Have fun and earn credits at the same time. I don't really think it's worth grinding towards any tech tree LT anyway. maybe except for ERB since it's unique.

apaleytos #12 Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:04 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16504 battles

I like driving LTs but im not a LT player.

T71DA is like a t7 batchat,really nice tank.Personally i would stop at wz131.You need great crew+food for decent view range(vstab/rammer/optics) but the gun is amazing.It can even snipe t8 HTs frontally with that 230HEAT round,mobility is decent,good camo.I got the t8,played it frontline but the release of Lt432 killed any point in grinding it or even unlocking the top gun.T9 and t10 dont seem that good.Frenchies are nice,the only bad  thing is that you have to unlock 3 tanks with bc12t which is playable tank(even fun) but still...Played only few battles with the buffed 1390 (because no crew) felt amazing.The tier 10 is not considered bad either.I got the MT25 also but dont feel playing it,using a girl commander and 3 zero bia guys from SU130 marathon.

Also get that type64 for crew training and dont play it with multiple  75% crews  like i did :trollface:.

Edited by apaleytos, 10 March 2019 - 12:06 AM.

OMG_Abaddon #13 Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:21 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11789 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

My experience about LT:

- Germans: Great except T10. Also if you like Pay2win tanks you can buy the new HWK 30, which is closer to tier 9 than tier 8 TTT: https://tanks.gg/com...t=hwk-12~ru-251

- Russian: Great overall, the fact that they have armor makes them very OP. I have also LT-432 premium which is very OP too.

- US: Great line so far, but nothing too fancy. Those tanks have slow guns and low DPM until the Bulldog., after that they are really strong overall and tiers 9-10 have derp options, which is funny. The side line stops at tier 7 with T71 DA, one of my favorite tanks with VERY good stats, but a bit weird playstyle. 

- France: Very cool autoloader lines, I had a lot of fun with them. B-C 25t is also a light, but classified as medium and nobody knows why just like cars are not light tanks. B-C has more ammo, but AMX has more burst and better cammo, your choice there. The problem is that B-C 12t requires 600k XP to unlock elite status, so if you like to farm everything you'll have a long grind ahead, I'm starting to get tired of it myself and it's not a particularly strong tank (I preferred AMX 13 75).

The other factions don't have light tanks, so those are your only choices.

Lord_Nekon_Targaryen #14 Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:53 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 33964 battles

If you want more serious response, here you go. Just drank some more rum, started BF1 soundtrack, writing mood, here we go.

General problem with light tanks in this game is that there aren't really that many maps where you can truly use potential and stats of lights tanks like speed, camo, view range, ... actually, there are only few truly light-friendly maps like malinovka, prokchorovka, for which you are basically waiting if you are doing LT missions. Then say maps like Westfield, Steppes, fjords (if enemy team is stupid and doesnt contest the middle), but you get my point right. There are just many coridor or city maps, where light tanks can mostly play like they were the worse mediums. On lower tiers they can work, especially if you have some french or us autoloader lights, or some there are some good T8 lights tanks like LT 432, blackdog, now maybe HWK 30 (just prem lights :D  ), but on T8 it is only that tier8 mediums in general aren't really good, and some lights I think can be better than them.

About tier X

The best "normal" light is probably the russian one, and from what I saw/see in battles, french mini bat-chat can actually work quite well. Sad trashmetall flipwagen cries in the corner, WZ can sometimes work as it has decent turret, and Sheridan I think is rather mediocre but can work, as it has quite nice gun with 390 alpha, and if you want something for fun(that can also actually work :D  ), mount derp gun on it and shoot AMXs, batchats, ... and side of tanks with green pene mark..

So..

For serious work: T100 LT, AMX, or now wheelchair

For fun and to sometimes make people angry: Derp Sheridan

If you are masochystic: Trashmetall Flipwagen (but damn I just love how it looks, absolutely sexy vehicle :D  )

Also LT gameplay is rather hard, and with Tier X LTs, with their low HP, one mistake - get shot for half of your HP, and also autoloaders like batchat can just yolo you and send into garage if they catch if without support.

Also try to put full camo skill on your crew.

Edited by Itsumi_Erika_, 10 March 2019 - 12:53 AM.

SuedKAT #15 Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:12 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Thanks for all the advice, firstly yes I know LT's might not be worth playing at tier 10/high tiers but down at mid tiers they are still quite fun due to the vision game actually mattering down there, still quite weak but fun enough to warrant the grind at least to me.

Will start grinding towards the T71DA as well as try a bit more actively to get past the T37 which now a days is quite the meh LT as well as get the Chinese LT's up till the WZ-131 and perhaps even have a look at the tier 8 one,  I also plan on quite quickly picking up the French ones as well. Think I will stop my grind where I am with the Germans both due to advice here but also due to the research I've done in terms of tanks.gg and youtube, they don't seem like something I would enjoy at all beyond where I am at the moment with the tier 9 being the exception. Might even start grinding the USSR ones, but as mentioned above the MT-25 brings back horrific memories and I've never been one to grind the best/OP thing just since it happen to be the best/OP so I'm not sure yet, but I guess it will eventually happen.

Yet again, thanks, you made my decisions a bit easier :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users