Friendlies driving into your line of fire at the wrong moment

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

CeeDee_2 #1 Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15663 battles

Talking about bad timing. Just now for the second day in a row.... I am in a TD aiming in on the enemy. Fully zoomed in to make sure I hit him. Then just at the instance that I fire, a friendly comes flying in at full speed across my line of fire. Friendly dies instantly. :confused::facepalm:

If memory serves I have managed to avoid that in the 15000 games I have played. And now twice in two days. I don't expect my 237 "battle buddy" awards will help against me turning blue.

If you are the person I shot: apologies, but please be careful driving in front of someone's barrel.

Regards, C.

CeeDee_2 #2 Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15663 battles

Is safe shot legal?

Regards, C

BlackBloodBandit #3 Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:36 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4527 battles
It happens.. I've had quite similar today.. I played IS-2 on Paris. I pre-aimed on the middle before going south, because I knew 1 of my lights would spot something and I could help him. I was ready for about 5-10 sec and when I fire a KV-1S drives in my line of fire and didn't stop insulting etc me after it. Gladly he got killed soon after, with no damage. I reported him because he could have known for a long time. I'm not standing still for no reason. Something some players seem to have trouble with.. and they find it weird to get shot at positions where it's very likely to get hit by allies.

ypr765prco #4 Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44139 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

i will leave this here:

situational awareness

:bush:

Dorander #5 Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20369 battles

View PostCeeDee_2, on 10 March 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

Is safe shot legal?

Regards, C

As far as I know it is. Doesn't help against all of these scenarios, depending on distance they may simply catch your shell midflight anyway.

All in all I wouldn't worry too much about these situations, they're accidents, they happen no matter how careful both parties are.

AvengerOrion #6 Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27429 battles

View Postypr765prco, on 10 March 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

i will leave this here:

situational awareness

:bush:

Tell that to the idiot who comes racing into the duel I was already in for 30 seconds only to park infront of my barrel and die because he catches a round from both me and the enemy at the same time.

I'm not even sorry anymore, more like grateful that I get some extra hull armour.

Nishi_Kinuyo #7 Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 8397 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostCeeDee_2, on 10 March 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Talking about bad timing. Just now for the second day in a row.... I am in a TD aiming in on the enemy. Fully zoomed in to make sure I hit him. Then just at the instance that I fire, a friendly comes flying in at full speed across my line of fire. Friendly dies instantly. :confused::facepalm:

If memory serves I have managed to avoid that in the 15000 games I have played. And now twice in two days. I don't expect my 237 "battle buddy" awards will help against me turning blue.

If you are the person I shot: apologies, but please be careful driving in front of someone's barrel.

Regards, C.

Zooming in to 25× does nothing to improve chances to hit.

All it does it make the target easier to see.

So unless necessary for that reason, don't bother zooming in too much.

View PostCeeDee_2, on 10 March 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

Is safe shot legal?

Regards, C

I'd argue that it gives an unfair advantage and as such would be considered illegal under the FPP.

SuedKAT #8 Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
You have the knowledge of knowing that you are about to fire at a target in combination with the minimap showing all friendly tanks location so it's 100% up to you to not fire into the back of your friendly tanks. Sure it happens, but don't fool yourself thinking that anyone but the one pulling the trigger is the one at fault.

CeeDee_2 #9 Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15663 battles

I wasn't firing into the back of friendly tanks. In both cases the friendly unit came in diagonally from my rear.

Regards, C.

ThinGun #10 Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38076 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO

I actually did it twice today.  Got a blue badge of shame for my troubles.

It's all very well shouting 'situational awareness', but then you're fully zoomed in on an enemy, and your team mate only appears as a wire frame ... maybe the awareness should be shown be the donkey who goes clodhopping across a TD's line of fire?

SuedKAT #11 Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:18 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostCeeDee_2, on 10 March 2019 - 08:15 PM, said:

I wasn't firing into the back of friendly tanks. In both cases the friendly unit came in diagonally from my rear.

Regards, C.

Don't really matter what angle you shoot them at, it's still 100% up to you to not fire at your allies, that's why you got a minimap and the ability to look around yourself.

NoobySkooby #12 Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:14 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16116 battles
  • [S052] S052
Lol, anyone that toons with me knows to keep an eye on where I am behind them, we usually have a giggle about it afterwards, after all i cannot shoot unless in sniper mode, like to drive that way too, occasionally I come out and look around sometimes:popcorn:

Dorander #13 Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:30 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20369 battles

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 10 March 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

I'd argue that it gives an unfair advantage and as such would be considered illegal under the FPP.

When will people learn? It doesn't matter what you argue for the FPP whether or not something gives an advantage and "unfair" is a subjective value judgement which you can't provide objective argumentation for.

View PostThinGun, on 10 March 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

I actually did it twice today.  Got a blue badge of shame for my troubles.

It's all very well shouting 'situational awareness', but then you're fully zoomed in on an enemy, and your team mate only appears as a wire frame ... maybe the awareness should be shown be the donkey who goes clodhopping across a TD's line of fire?

If you actually turn blue because of this you need to work on your awareness, sorry to say. The entire TK system's grace period before you turn blue is to account for accidents, if you exceed that limit, there's obvious room for improvement. There are a lot of clodhoppers out there lately, especially with the wheeled vehicles, but you can do pattern recognition too. If that guy has been racing in circles in front of you it's small effort to glance at the minimap to see if he's beelining to your line of fire or not.

Of course you get bonus points for looking, considering, timing your shot and then hitting him anyway, 'cause that's how my brain causes accidental team damage in those situations. "Alright, to avoid hitting that high speed guy, I take into account his speed and direction, he's likely going to be there soon so all I need to do is not click now *finger descends on LMB*"... brain be like "What, you wanted to click just when he was there, right?"

7thSyndicate #14 Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:59 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 45424 battles

View PostCeeDee_2, on 10 March 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

Is safe shot legal?

Regards, C

Yes it is

FritzSpiegal #15 Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:47 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20182 battles
  • [A-W-F] A-W-F

Aslains mod pack has option to not shoot already killed tanks and friendlies. I don't know if it would work on a tank rapidly moving into your aim but I can say it is very fast blocking shots on dead tanks just killed by a teammate.

FryTheFly #16 Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:35 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26803 battles

View PostFritzSpiegal, on 11 March 2019 - 08:47 AM, said:

Aslains mod pack has option to not shoot already killed tanks and friendlies. I don't know if it would work on a tank rapidly moving into your aim but I can say it is very fast blocking shots on dead tanks just killed by a teammate.

WHAT? One more proof that mod users are not playing same game that we vanilla players play. I have to wonder how this is even allowed by wg cause it kind makes ingame economic littlebit different and gives advantage over vanilla.

Anyhow as hit happens sometimes do not worry, sometimes it is impossible to know what teammate is trying. I hate to shoot teammates but after all I just have to try to be better and apologize. 

FritzSpiegal #17 Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:51 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20182 battles
  • [A-W-F] A-W-F

View PostFryTheFly, on 11 March 2019 - 08:35 AM, said:

WHAT? One more proof that mod users are not playing same game that we vanilla players play. I have to wonder how this is even allowed by wg cause it kind makes ingame economic littlebit different and gives advantage over vanilla.

Anyhow as hit happens sometimes do not worry, sometimes it is impossible to know what teammate is trying. I hate to shoot teammates but after all I just have to try to be better and apologize. 

Firstly Aslain is in the WOT modhub so both free and legal so anyone can use it if they want. Most of the add ons are cosmetic and don't gain any advantage in playing. Different OT markers, sounds, that sort of thing

I use the modpack for the after battle hits which I find useful to work out why a particular shot failed.  I can't see that automatically prevent hitting friendlies gives any advantage?

Muadiib #18 Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:18 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7213 battles
I did this twice over the weekend in my KV2, working a corner zoomed in for a long distance hand of Stalin shot, some tank thought 'oh look there is a gap between that KV2 and the corner i can fit in there and take a shot' they got derped in the back of the turret with HE and enjoyed a trip back to the garage. My shell my fault, but there is also blame to be laid at the victims feet for pushing in front of another tank who is working a corner so they can no longer retreat and also not understanding that there is a danger zone directly in front of a tank especially one that has stopped moving could they be about to fire.

eldrak #19 Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50303 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W

You won't usually turn blue for shooting friendlies that drive in front of your gun just as you fire.

The friendly fire detection system takes into account if there's an enemy you're aiming at and how long the friendly was in your sights.

FryTheFly #20 Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26803 battles

View PostFritzSpiegal, on 11 March 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

Firstly Aslain is in the WOT modhub so both free and legal so anyone can use it if they want. Most of the add ons are cosmetic and don't gain any advantage in playing. Different OT markers, sounds, that sort of thing

I use the modpack for the after battle hits which I find useful to work out why a particular shot failed.  I can't see that automatically prevent hitting friendlies gives any advantage?

Ofc you dont but look you get more credits and you dont accidentaly shoot own team or dead tanks like vanillas do. You play different game I do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users