Is WoT becoming a too fast-paced shooter?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Is WoT becoming a too fast-paced shooter? (164 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Is WoT becoming a too fast-paced shooter?

1. Yes and I like it (4 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

2. Yes and I don't like it (132 votes [80.49%])

Percentage of vote: 80.49%

3. I don't see the difference (18 votes [10.98%])

Percentage of vote: 10.98%

4. No and I l wouldn't like it that way (6 votes [3.66%])

Percentage of vote: 3.66%

5. No and I would like to be faster (4 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

Vote Hide poll

seXikanac #1 Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13175 battles
  • [-YU-] -YU-
Some players like wheeled vehicles, some don't, but most of the players I spoke with and it looks like that good part of forum agrees that WoT is becoming fast-paced shooter instead of a well-balanced tank arcade. Do you like the way where WoT gameplay is heading?

Edited by seXikanac, 13 March 2019 - 01:12 PM.

laulaur #2 Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47485 battles
  • [FOXX] FOXX
WOT indeed is becoming faster and totally losing any kind of realism whatsoever. I don't like this, so i lost almost all interest for this game.

7thSyndicate #3 Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:54 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 45424 battles

Wait, what? it wasnt like this in ww1 and 2? Dont you remember watching historical movies with tigers being surrouded by wheelchairs? :trollface:

This game is losing the all the historical side and i dont like this either, the reason i started playing the game was bc i love all about ww1 and ww2 history. Now im playing less and less everyday.. cant enjoy the game like i used to. 

Dorander #4 Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:04 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20369 battles

I voted yes, but not because of wheeled vehicles, this is a process that has been consistently going on for years and is summed up by the words "power creep".

Most battles these days are finished in 4-5 minutes. People die left right and center as damage slowly increases causing a steamroll effect. Old WoT for me was more like chess, current WoT is more like... well I can't actually think of a similar boardgame because boardgames require strategy and WoT has become more of a generic shooter.

Once again this has NOTHING to do with wheeled vehicles, those things aren't all that special. They're kinda like what lights used to be in the past before every tank in the game got the ability to unload highly accurate shots on your speedy tanks. When going 60 km/h on a tank was noteworthy and considered good mobility even if you had to accelerate for 10 seconds to get there.

The main reason I liked higher tiers is that tanks there weren't 2-3 shots like lower tiers were. You can take a critical position even if you take a shot in the process and survive to ruin your opponent's tactics. If your move got predicted and the enemy collectively countered this'd cost you your tank, but it was a decision you'd make. These days trying that is just punishment, not only because of the higher alpha but also because of how maps are designed, where aggression is punished and after you've won the typical position slug-out you can't advance because you're facing the TD camp next.

I don't like shooters all that much. I never cared for FPS games, and like many WoT players I'm old enough to have played Wolfenstein 3D and Doom 1. I used to like WoT for how tanks were different, for how they had weakspots, different playstyles, how knowing stuff mattered. Wheeled vehicles are just the latest symptom of how the game changed; where your ability to lead your shot becomes more important to how and where that shot is placed and whether or not your tank is capable of handling that situation. And the hilarity, going by the frequently complaints about how "OP" these things are is that the playerbase is hilariously bad at this too, when all WG did when adding the wheelies was up the speed, not change the principle.

The only thing I can level as accusation against the wheelies is how redundant they make normal light tanks. It used to be the case that active scouting could be rewarding but risky, mostly because you risked getting tracked which was an important factor in dealing with scouts. Wheelies... yeah, not much of a problem there. So with corridors having become more prevalent over the years, and even before that light tank viewranges being not special compared to meds, wheelies just made light tanks even more obsolete which is just another nail in the coffin.

Edit: Oh since this apparently is a theme with previous posters I don't give a fork about realism or history. This is an arcade tank game where random people playing random tanks get tossed together in a battle, this used to be about discernable tank stats and tactics, not about corridors and firepower.

Edited by Dorander, 13 March 2019 - 03:06 AM.

If_I_Die_You_Die_Too #5 Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:21 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6127 battles

I like the wheelies and I'm looking at 60 years old so speed isn't an issue

They break the game up, too many campers turn WoT into a chess match but the wheelies introduce some blitzkreig into the game

Wheelies are disruptive technology, like when jet fighters suddenly appeared in ww2

edit: The corridor maps are a pain but frontline is fabulous fun, 10/10 to WoT for FL

Edited by mr_stabby_1, 13 March 2019 - 03:29 AM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #6 Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:18 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

It's not becoming anything IMO apart from boring and obsolete. Fast games indicates either very successful tactics or severe imbalance between the teams and i doubt you'll see much of the former given the current maps design, tanks, etc.

The more you play the clearer it becomes how badly designed it is and how mundane is the task of playing a battle. Fast battles are a symptom of the many problems that WG happily add to.

SuedKAT #7 Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:24 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
The main reason I stuck with WoT in the first place was due to how it being a bit slower paced with more tactics involved than just grinding the best weapon in CoD, the feeling when the tactics you employed rewarded you with a great feeling that you against all odds managed to win that nail biter experience you just had was great. Now a days all of that is out the window, you either play the OP tank of the month, tap 2 to load premium since it's all frontal engagements and either roflstomp the enemies or have the reverse happen to you. Grinding tanks have become a pain, balance is a joke, arty is more annoying than ever, maps are worse than ever, being bottom tier is worse than ever before, frankly I've lost faith in WoT as a product a long time ago and now I just play it until something else come along that scratch that itch, the nail biting experience, the tactical aspect and so on.  To be honest it's a quite sad experience watching some old youtube clips of WoT from back in 2014-2016 when I played WoT quite actively and compare that with how the game turned out today, shame they let money direct everything and disregarded gameplay completely. 

Jigabachi #8 Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:07 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
It's getting faster and faster due to powercreep and the broken gamebalance, the cars are just the cherry on the pie.

Tijsbeek993 #9 Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:37 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10259 battles
  • [JOM] JOM
This game is never ment to be historical accerate.

Its a damn arcade game. This is one of the most .. topics..

DuncaN_101 #10 Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:54 AM

Major

• Player
  • 55022 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

View Postlaulaur, on 13 March 2019 - 02:25 AM, said:

WOT indeed is becoming faster and totally losing any kind of realism whatsoever. I don't like this, so i lost almost all interest for this game.

I'm getting there as well  

It's losing its appeal to me because of all the changes over the last 2 years. 

Then again its to be expected after 7 years of playing the same game 

tajj7 #11 Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:19 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27246 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Based on comments here not many people have played actual fast paced shooters, if they had you'd know that WOTs is nowhere near a fast paced shooter and never will be. 

If people are talking about fast battles, that is nothing really to do with WVs its to do with the vast majority of players in the game being terrible at it, in any given team most of the time you'll have at best 3-4 players that do all the work and the other 10-11 are basically dead weight.

All the dumb changes to maps and tanks means the players that have 'grown up' over the last 2-3 years have been fed a diet of corridor maps, idiot proof tanks, HE spamming, gold spamming, boosters, etc. and they have literally no idea how to play competently because the game has never forced them to, the game used to have a harsh learning curve that would sort the wheat from the trash and would mean the long grind to tier 10 would either force people to stay lower tiers, stop playing or actually improve.

Now any terrible player in idiot proof tanks can fail his way to tier 10 tanks quickly, learning nothing and both of most teams is made up of this player. 

Add in bad map balance, the 3-5-7 and bad tank balance, and you have a perfect recipe for snowball fast games. When two thirds of both teams is bottom tier and the majority of players are bad, there is just nothing really that can slow down the early loss of tanks and prevent the snowball. 

Shacou #12 Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:04 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21516 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT
WoT is becoming faster due very diverse playerbase and RNG.

Captain_Kremen0 #13 Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:31 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 38418 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB
What Dorander said.

Bigtime_Alarm #14 Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:40 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19995 battles
tank knocked out by headshot to the commander next?

gunslingerXXX #15 Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12167 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
The pace is the last of my worries. Obvious money grabbing with limited to no improvements on obvious issues are bugging me much more.

NekoPuffer_PPP #16 Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:57 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 32880 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

None of the above.

I'm aging.

clixor #17 Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:40 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 53537 battles

I'm not sure WOT becoming 'faster' is a good development long term. Practically every single battle i see players 'waking up' too late, and with more and more faster tanks/vehicles they are caught when still deploying. I must admit i take advantage of this too playing something like a lorraine/progetto, it's easy dmg that way. But the thing is, if you lose one or a few tanks early a team is severely crippled.

It also adds to faster games, a lot of players just don't feel they can influence the battle enough and when they see or think their team is surely losing they give up (which only accelerate losses).

N00BT00B #18 Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:19 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 49780 battles
  • [UT00B] UT00B
Game is moving away from its core appeal. Mass yolo is becoming the meta.

Just had a FL game this evening, over in 8mins or so.
3-4k damage only for top players, made it to captain max.

The wheelies just rushed/capped and destroyed the objectives.
No fun, no xp, no credits,
Frontlines fun game mode destroyed by stupid WG win a tank missions and OP wheeled vehicles.

It world of tanks ffs not world of mario.

Edited by N00BT00B, 14 March 2019 - 12:20 AM.

Homer_J #19 Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:36 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31407 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post7thSyndicate, on 13 March 2019 - 01:54 AM, said:

Wait, what? it wasnt like this in ww1 and 2? D

They called it blitzkreig.  And the tactic was born in the latter stages of WW1.

laulaur #20 Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:18 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47485 battles
  • [FOXX] FOXX

View PostHomer_J, on 13 March 2019 - 11:36 PM, said:

They called it blitzkreig.  And the tactic was born in the latter stages of WW1.

Sorry to tell you that blitzkrieg did not mean sending some idiot in a car to 'spot' the enemy tanks, and did not include a single gun firing after that car without a direct line of sight (aka 'arty' ) and reliably damaging him.

Well some nations tried some cavalry charges against tanks (we call them 'YOLO' today) but the results were not that good and that was no blitzkrieg, was just stupidity and incompetence. Just like our beloved developers....

Edited by laulaur, 14 March 2019 - 01:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users