• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

sephibaby #1 Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:13 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31556 battles
  • [O_E_P] O_E_P

Evening all,

I've been naughty in chat, or to put it bluntly, I've been cussing far too much, and I cannot use in-game chat until the 17th (not my first offence obviously) - no complaints or pretending I haven't

Whilst this is probably a good thing for me to just stop using the chat because it is mostly pointless anyway, I cannot find the relevant info regarding future bans - If I don't accrue another ban for say, a year or two, but end up being naughty again, will my next ban be 5 days, or would I have softened my penalty because of a certain length of time between offences?

My first offence was last month, which after playing since 2012 leads me to think I really should stop using chat going forward, which I fully intend to do - it seems there an algorithm that picks up on cuss words, either that or people have started pressing the complaint button far more than they ever did before!

Thanks in advance

DaSpood #2 Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:19 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 22391 battles
  • [R-U] R-U

I can say by experience that ban times do increase. If you get banned again right after this ban is over it'll be longer, and I have no idea how long it takes to decrease (if it does at all).

Also I highly suspect there is either an algorithm that detects specific words, or some players in the game who only get triggered by certain words and send replay to support. Because some slurs will get you chatbanned by the next day while some others will leave you completely fine even if you say them over and over.

sephibaby #3 Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31556 battles
  • [O_E_P] O_E_P

View PostDaSpood, on 14 March 2019 - 08:19 PM, said:

I can say by experience that ban times do increase. If you get banned again right after this ban is over it'll be longer, and I have no idea how long it takes to decrease (if it does at all).

Also I highly suspect there is either an algorithm that detects specific words, or some players in the game who only get triggered by certain words and send replay to support. Because some slurs will get you chatbanned by the next day while some others will leave you completely fine even if you say them over and over.

I've been exactly the same in chat for 7 years, although granted, that isn't a defence for the profanity, just seems like there's now software searching for it - I will say it's nothing racial though, I hate racial abuse with a passion, but again, not a defence.

The only other thing i'm wondering about is I was bored the other day at work, and I created some Macros for my keyboard that type random lyrics to songs when people I don't care for messaged me after battle - it's not a mod in the RES folder, it's simply a keyboard press that would type the same stuff in Microsoft Word - maybe someone took offence to having Kenny Rodgers and ABBA typed at them when they were being rather douchey after a game?

Wl_lTANG #4 Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 14068 battles

I'm chat banned until the 17th also, it's a conspiracy. 

wsatnutter #5 Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:57 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26044 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

Op 

If you ain't got anything to say nicely in chat don't 

kubawt112 #6 Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

Hard to tell. "Unsportsmanlike conduct" bans seem to be of arbitrary length, but do not accumulate. Team damage-related bans, i.e. automatic ones, do increase in length, but being nice or even idle for some time (not more than a year is probably enough detail) makes the game 'forget' your streak. Potentially far less if you only received one ban - e.g. it might take a week for a one-hour to be forgotten, whilst a three-month ban may take, say, half a year. You get the idea.

Point is, anyway, that automatic bans where there are clear evidence that you are in the wrong (e.g. using certain words or an F-bomb in every F-ing sentence) may well be accumulative, while manual bans are unlikely to be.

(While I wouldn't want to encourage blatantly toxic behaviour, you may consider the implications of this being an automated system that likely has no case-specific oversight. For some reason, my elaborate and constructive "criticism" has yet to be subject to a ban. Interpret that as you wish.)

sephibaby #7 Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31556 battles
  • [O_E_P] O_E_P

View Postwsatnutter, on 14 March 2019 - 08:57 PM, said:

Op 

If you ain't got anything to say nicely in chat don't 

Thanks for those pearls of wisdom there - looking for an answer to cumulative bans, not how to avoid them - pretty sure I pointed that out myself
21:00 Added after 2 minutes

View Postkubawt112, on 14 March 2019 - 08:57 PM, said:

Hard to tell. "Unsportsmanlike conduct" bans seem to be of arbitrary length, but do not accumulate. Team damage-related bans, i.e. automatic ones, do increase in length, but being nice or even idle for some time (not more than a year is probably enough detail) makes the game 'forget' your streak. Potentially far less if you only received one ban - e.g. it might take a week for a one-hour to be forgotten, whilst a three-month ban may take, say, half a year. You get the idea.

Point is, anyway, that automatic bans where there are clear evidence that you are in the wrong (e.g. using certain words or an F-bomb in every F-ing sentence) may well be accumulative, while manual bans are unlikely to be.

(While I wouldn't want to encourage blatantly toxic behaviour, you may consider the implications of this being an automated system that likely has no case-specific oversight. For some reason, my elaborate and constructive "criticism" has yet to be subject to a ban. Interpret that as you wish.)

Yeah, you're probably right there.

As I stated I can use this chat down-time to change my approach to the game, maybe even turn it off completely - then at least they can't ban me in future XD

Homer_J #8 Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31398 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postsephibaby, on 14 March 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

Whilst this is probably a good thing for me to just stop using the chat because it is mostly pointless anyway, I cannot find the relevant info regarding future bans - If I don't accrue another ban for say, a year or two, but end up being naughty again, will my next ban be 5 days, or would I have softened my penalty because of a certain length of time between offences?

Nothing concrete but from off the record comments I understand the bans only get longer at the moment.  There is no time off for good behaviour as there is with the team damage system.

And yes it is handled by a party automated system as well as reports.

speedphlux #9 Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:26 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 46673 battles
  • [TZAR] TZAR
I think the new system is very overzealous. When I played the game previously (2012 to mid 2018), I think I've only had one one-hour long ban for TK'ing, which was an absurd incident, but I didn't appealed it coz it was just an hour (I basically tried to protect an ally that was capping from a circling Light Tank, missed the enemy, TK'ed the capping tank, got banned on the spot for an hour).
Now that I'm back somewhat, playing the EBR marathon and now the 2nd Episode of Frontline, I'm already on my 2nd chat ban. My manner of speaking hasn't changed. My nerves hasn't gotten thinner. Sure, the cretins that populate this game have gotten more, but I feel like my language usage has been justified in every single occasion. I don't grief people. I don't taunt random people. I do call idiots "idiots" when they are acting idiotic. I might spice it up with the occasional "C-word" and a "T-word" (both represent a slang for a certain specific female reproductive organ), but I feel it's always warranted. I never wished cancer on anybody, nor I wished them a painful and slow death. It's just a random outburst of steam when you observe something pathetically moronic from your teammates. And yeah WG, instead of throwing my mouse at the wall or punching my monitor, I'd rather type nasty words to an imbecile, so you're just gonna have to learn to "Deal with it". Or take away chat completely and watch your population going on a decrease ... again.

sephibaby #10 Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:28 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31556 battles
  • [O_E_P] O_E_P

View PostHomer_J, on 14 March 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

Nothing concrete but from off the record comments I understand the bans only get longer at the moment.  There is no time off for good behaviour as there is with the team damage system.

And yes it is handled by a party automated system as well as reports.

Ah well, guess I'd better just watch my P's and Q's from now and be a good lil' boi - cheers for the info

DantePerez #11 Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:56 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12988 battles
  • [GOT] GOT

I've had no chat bans since i started playing the game , until recently that is.

I'm on my third in 2 months (like op , no excuse , i can get frustrated sometimes) but my behavior has been the same since i started playing back in 2013.

So i think they've implemented an algorithm like mentioned here , or there always was one but now it's gotten much stricter.

That or either people suddenly hit the report button more often? Which i doubt.

Would be nice if we could know what phrase exactly has gotten us banned.

Signal11th #12 Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:19 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 41465 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
tbh you can talk like a cnut in game you get a ban, you can play like a cnut in the game all you want nothing happens.. Literally now for one week a month randoms is more unplayable than usual.. and they wonder why they lose players hand over fist. Oh on my umpteenth chat ban also.. not that it bothers me

Edited by signal11th, 15 March 2019 - 12:21 AM.

Derelict #13 Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:46 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19867 battles

Definitely an algorithm. Never got chatbanned between 2011 and 2015, then had a 2-3 year break and during the last 6 months i've been chatbanned more times than i can count. Dunno why you're not allowed to flame people in a competitive online game, that's part of the game for me. Alas, i also pm people to say "good game" if that is deserved.

How can you improve if noone tells you that you suck?

Zoggo_ #14 Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:05 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30341 battles
  • [ZOGGO] ZOGGO

View PostDantePerez, on 14 March 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

I've had no chat bans since i started playing the game , until recently that is.

I'm on my third in 2 months (like op , no excuse , i can get frustrated sometimes) but my behavior has been the same since i started playing back in 2013.

So i think they've implemented an algorithm like mentioned here , or there always was one but now it's gotten much stricter.

That or either people suddenly hit the report button more often? Which i doubt.

Would be nice if we could know what phrase exactly has gotten us banned.

Idiot is one of the words you can't say repeatedly. Got an hour ban for saying that. When your team collapses in 3 minutes for the 3rd game in a row apparently that is going too far to suggest they may be dim witted. 

Homer_J #15 Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:40 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31398 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDerelict, on 15 March 2019 - 12:46 AM, said:

How can you improve if noone tells you that you suck?

Well the system is telling you to improve your chat. ;)

View Postsignal11th, on 14 March 2019 - 11:19 PM, said:

tbh you can talk like a ....in game you get a ban, you can play like a ....in the game all you want nothing happens..

I suspect you are confusing deliberately being disruptive to your team, which if reported correctly does get punished and not playing to your exacting standards which isn't against the rules.

BlackBloodBandit #16 Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:55 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4442 battles

The start up screen shows "allies are more willing to help polite players".. lmao

They only ignore me when I ping a tank that is only basecamping, or when I ping at the base because no one is defending. The community is getting worse and worse and WG are only giving chat-bans, but the players that actively ruin the battles for allies by not playing or sometimes even rigging, just get away with it.

UserZer00 #17 Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:06 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12053 battles
Language is wonderfully flexible.

I'm sure anyone intelligent enough to find the forums is also intelligent enough to avoid using insults or swears to get your points across.

For the times where "the moment" overtakes your sense of reason you are invited to an automated time out.  If you are unable to adapt after a few "warnings" from the system then it might be better to turn the chat off.

It's not like hitting your thumb with a hammer. You are choosing to be toxic in chat and you know that it may result in a ban.

Best bet is to deactivate the chat in the settings.  That way there are two steps required (turn on chat and type the message) before you can let the toxicity fly.

The_Georgian_One #18 Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:15 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40293 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

View PostZoggo_, on 15 March 2019 - 02:05 AM, said:

Idiot is one of the words you can't say repeatedly. Got an hour ban for saying that. When your team collapses in 3 minutes for the 3rd game in a row apparently that is going too far to suggest they may be dim witted.

This. I'm paying a lot of attention to what I write in chat recently and I limit myself to 'idiots', 'morons' and 'bots'. And I got chat-banned again. No 'F' or 'C' words, nothing of this caliber.

They will soon start banning us for writing 'gg' at the end of the game, when written sarcastically.

Edited by The_Georgian_One, 15 March 2019 - 10:16 AM.

OMG_Abaddon #19 Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11789 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

Chat ban? Who cares, do you ever see even one single interesting comment in-game from pubbies? You can live without that and it will save you some mental health.

There are so many crybabies in this game that feel offended over the mildest form of pointing out their incompetence that it's amazing some of them manage to open the door and go outside their bedrooms, or browse the internet. I still don't get why chat bans are a feature when you can simply blacklist players and be rid of them if they do something annoying like spam pings for 30 seconds straight, or spam all caps for a whole minute, etc. No no no, they must be tried by court-martial and sentenced to the death because they called someone idiot after they made something worth a 2-digit IQ mark.

Glad TeamSpeak and the likes exist so we can point out how idiotic our play was and laugh all together without being censored. Actually I don't know why a chat ban disables you from talking to friends, that's about the most stupid decision one can make after going lemming train to the beach in Overlord.

the_nebuchadnezzar #20 Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:27 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 52039 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
I`m in a period when I`m mostly chat-ban. We entered a new world where snowflakes kids are feeling offended by anything. They, of course, demand a safe space and WG bow to their stupid demands by giving chat bans like free candy. So, the best thing to do it`s keep your wallet closed and try troll WG as much as possible. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users