Jump to content


How much do you think being f2p or partially f2p affects your wn8?


  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

FTR #1 Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:47 PM

    Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 15702 battles
  • 222
  • Member since:
    08-03-2010

I think main aspects of f2p that impact your wn8 is having to play stock tanks and also terrible tanks designed as free xp sinks, which some unicums would never bother with. Also not using premium consumables and less or none gold ammo to conserve your credits. And of course worse crews because f2p don't own as many premium vehicles to train them.

 

Quickybaby started f2p account not long ago and his total wn8 so far is at 2266 which is respectable, but nowhere near as good as his 3352 on his, as he calls it, "p2w" account. He also immediately went for good tanks (or suited better for bad crews etc.) on his f2p account to minimalize the pain he would have to endure, which is completely reasonable.

 

I started thinking about it after I realized just how much time I spent grinding stock tanks. I pretty much play in stock vehicles way more than fully maxed ones, since I usually drop them for the sake of grinding something new once I max them. And yeah, it's just as horrible experience as you think it is and I should really stop doing it.


Edited by FTR, 17 March 2019 - 02:47 PM.


Homer_J #2 Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:53 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 31407 battles
  • 34,200
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostFTR, on 17 March 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

And of course worse crews because f2p don't own as many premium vehicles to train them.

 

I would expect f2p accounts to have better crews because you have to earn more exp with them to unlock all those modules and then play extra battles to get the credits for the next tank.



Nishi_Kinuyo #3 Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:55 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 8397 battles
  • 5,653
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

There was that other unicum who did the same a few year ago, angel of something or another?

Think the conclusion was that yes, sending money on the game gives one an advantage, but it is in no way a replacement for skill.

The main issue with F2P players is, I think, that since they don't spend money on the game, they aren't as invested into it and as such might care less about performing well.

On the flip side, you got plenty of whales who spend a lot on the game but don't care about gitting gud.

 

So the main difference is mostly knowing which tricks allow you to maximise your tank's performance without spending extra money.

An... inexperienced... player might play a tier 8 tank stock, with a 50% crew, while an experienced player would rarely do so.

Going for "good" tanks is optional imo, since a good player could probably do better in a bad tank than a bad player might in a good one.



XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:58 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 53201 battles
  • 3,733
  • [OBY] OBY
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

None actually if you account for the time factor. The more time you spend playing that account the closer you get to having more credits, better crews and fully equipped tanks. After that it's business as usual, WN8 will stabilize around your level of game play. Which could be stabilized within certain boundaries for some people or rising still for others.

 

Silly isn't it? It's like doing your son's homework! :)


Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 17 March 2019 - 03:03 PM.


Obsessive_Compulsive #5 Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 28743 battles
  • 8,481
  • Member since:
    09-09-2014

View PostFTR, on 17 March 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

I think main aspects of f2p that impact your wn8 is having to play stock tanks and also terrible tanks designed as free xp sinks, which some unicums would never bother with. Also not using premium consumables and less or none gold ammo to conserve your credits. And of course worse crews because f2p don't own as many premium vehicles to train them.

 

Quickybaby started f2p account not long ago and his total wn8 so far is at 2266 which is respectable, but nowhere near as good as his 3352 on his, as he calls it, "p2w" account. He also immediately went for good tanks (or suited better for bad crews etc.) on his f2p account to minimalize the pain he would have to endure, which is completely reasonable.

 

I started thinking about it after I realized just how much time I spent grinding stock tanks. I pretty much play in stock vehicles way more than fully maxed ones, since I usually drop them for the sake of grinding something new once I max them. And yeah, it's just as horrible experience as you think it is and I should really stop doing it.

 

yes

FTR #6 Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:06 PM

    Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 15702 battles
  • 222
  • Member since:
    08-03-2010

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 17 March 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

There was that other unicum who did the same a few year ago, angel of something or another?

Think the conclusion was that yes, sending money on the game gives one an advantage, but it is in no way a replacement for skill.

The main issue with F2P players is, I think, that since they don't spend money on the game, they aren't as invested into it and as such might care less about performing well.

On the flip side, you got plenty of whales who spend a lot on the game but don't care about gitting gud.

 

So the main difference is mostly knowing which tricks allow you to maximise your tank's performance without spending extra money.

An... inexperienced... player might play a tier 8 tank stock, with a 50% crew, while an experienced player would rarely do so.

Going for "good" tanks is optional imo, since a good player could probably do better in a bad tank than a bad player might in a good one.

 

I don't think this statement is correct. There is many people with thousands of battles (hated sealclubbers?) that play f2p. I myself play since beta with breaks inbetween and all I did was purchasing  premium for a few months total so I could grind some tanks/stockpile credits. I did not purchase any premium vehicles, never converted xp or paid gold to retrain crew etc.

 

And yeah of course playing with premium consumables or great crews won't mean you can play like an idiot and win for free, not at all. The point is that it helps and does increase your overall wn8 (based on qb experiment). Basically the same player will have way worse performance when playing for free.


Edited by FTR, 17 March 2019 - 03:12 PM.


Xandania #7 Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 39783 battles
  • 1,290
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-
  • Member since:
    05-16-2013

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 17 March 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

 

On the flip side, you got plenty of whales who spend a lot on the game but don't care about gitting gud.

 

Spoiler

 



Balc0ra #8 Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 70162 battles
  • 19,016
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

Well when you grind lines stock with bad guns vs staying on tier 2 farming WN8, can't skip modules, can't press 2 as often as he would like, and lacks good crews. It's ofc reflected early on. But he still has a 70% recent WR, still has some grinds with over 3K WN8. Most of them are on 2700 WN8 I see. And once he gets his account to a comfy spot in terms of crew, tank selection and other assets. I suspect it will only go up. As now unlike his main he can't pick the tanks he wants that he likes and do well in, but rather is forced to play the stock tier 4's and 5's. 

 

But ofc he is an experienced player. Not fresh meat for the grinder with no clue what goes on when they start at tier 1.

 

But even so... new players still get a better start then what we did back in the day with free XP, 100% crew rewards, free equipment, or even a free tier 6. And a better tutorial and boot camp. As the tutorial when I started was rather basic... More or less like this.

 

Spoiler


 And if you did mange to complete that. We got a tier 3 premium that... was fine enough. It made me credits early on at least.

 

 


Edited by Balc0ra, 17 March 2019 - 03:09 PM.


FTR #9 Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:10 PM

    Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 15702 battles
  • 222
  • Member since:
    08-03-2010

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 17 March 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

None actually if you account for the time factor. The more time you spend playing that account the closer you get to having more credits, better crews and fully equipped tanks. After that it's business as usual, WN8 will stabilize around your level of game play. Which could be stabilized within certain boundaries for some people or rising still for others.

 

Silly isn't it? It's like doing your son's homework! :)

 

That's partially true. My account is pretty much like that BUT no matter how much credits I stockpile I would still run out of them pretty quickly if I would start bringing prem consumables into every battle. My crews also mostly suck except the ones I could train in premium tanks I got for free.

 

So I think it depends if you just focus on few tanks and try to minmax them as f2p, then it will "Stabilize" quicker, but if you want to own many different tanks from many different tech trees, this may take incredibly long time.


Edited by FTR, 17 March 2019 - 03:12 PM.


XxKuzkina_MatxX #10 Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:18 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 53201 battles
  • 3,733
  • [OBY] OBY
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

View PostFTR, on 17 March 2019 - 04:10 PM, said:

 

That's partially true. My account is pretty much like that BUT no matter how much credits I stockpile I would still run out of them pretty quickly if I would start bringing prem consumables into every battle. My crews also mostly suck except the ones I could train in premium tanks I got for free.

 

So I think it depends if you just focus on few tanks and try to minmax them as f2p, then it will "Stabilize" quicker, but if you want to own many different tanks from many different tech trees, this may take incredibly long time.

 

That's the "management" part. Buying stuff on discount, focusing crew training, grinding a few lines that work, taking advantage of free premium days, grinding personal missions, etc.

 

It doesn't relate as much to your level of game play but to your efficiency in managing resources within a specific time frame. A crossbreed between project management and operation research! :)



Bucifel #11 Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 34744 battles
  • 1,600
  • [QUIET] QUIET
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013

quite enough...around 500 wn8 difference for a above average player i would say

look at me...overall wn8 is a bit les than 1500 and recent one around 2k

im a 99% F2P (i only invested less than 20Euros on entire account and that was long time ago)

now why is this??

 

because overall stat is affected when i play stock tanks to grind a line, without crew, equipment and of course, without p2w ammo in a negative way and also when i finally play a fully upgraded tank with everything equiped except p2w ammo, in a positive way.

 

now if i start to use p2w ammo means another boost to stats because i will pen more

if i pen more i do more damage

if i do more damage i gain more wn8

of course..probabil win more

and all this because...i pay

 

i had a lot of situations where i was completely unable to do anything to my enemy because i dont use p2w ammo, but they just spit on me and ofcourse won the duel. I let you to conclude what that means for WN8.

for example I meet a Mauschen in my grinding journey in my Mauschen too....i was firing standard and he gold only....guess who won?? And due to this what was the WN8 for each...

yes...f2p life...

 

i said p2w difference in wn8 is around 500...but for me is probably more because my recent can go below my overall and that compared to actual 2k means more than 500 difference

sure, that depends WHAT tanks do you play too...because high base pen tanks are not such a big problem for F2P players, but overall...P2W make a quite noticeable difference in stats, mainly due to ammo.


Edited by Bucifel, 17 March 2019 - 03:38 PM.


FTR #12 Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:52 PM

    Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 15702 battles
  • 222
  • Member since:
    08-03-2010

Either way you will always have to play stock-crewless vehicles at some point. For f2p this period will be way longer and more painful and will probably have negative impact on your wn8.

 

I only recently realized people actually spend money to convert xp to unstock or skip tanks. I thought it's only like 1% whales doing that but it appears it's way more common than I thought.


Edited by FTR, 17 March 2019 - 03:53 PM.


cro001 #13 Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 32298 battles
  • 2,744
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    10-21-2012

When you're grinding tanks, yeah impact is pretty big. If you're just playing for sake of playing/winning - not much. You'll still be able to afford to fire gold and you aren't gimped by stock tanks.

I'm having 3,2k recents for a while now without premium.



tank276 #14 Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:07 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 52653 battles
  • 746
  • [KEKE] KEKE
  • Member since:
    08-30-2012

View PostFTR, on 17 March 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

I think main aspects of f2p that impact your wn8 is having to play stock tanks and also terrible tanks designed as free xp sinks, which some unicums would never bother with. Also not using premium consumables and less or none gold ammo to conserve your credits. And of course worse crews because f2p don't own as many premium vehicles to train them.

 

Quickybaby started f2p account not long ago and his total wn8 so far is at 2266 which is respectable, but nowhere near as good as his 3352 on his, as he calls it, "p2w" account. He also immediately went for good tanks (or suited better for bad crews etc.) on his f2p account to minimalize the pain he would have to endure, which is completely reasonable.

 

I started thinking about it after I realized just how much time I spent grinding stock tanks. I pretty much play in stock vehicles way more than fully maxed ones, since I usually drop them for the sake of grinding something new once I max them. And yeah, it's just as horrible experience as you think it is and I should really stop doing it.

 

The prem users surely have the advantage of more special ammo and faster crew training, but thats about it.

Paying is more "to grind faster" than "to win" in this title, with the exception of quite a few OP prem vehicles over their silver counterparts.



reklakazala #15 Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 21947 battles
  • 270
  • [V-S-B] V-S-B
  • Member since:
    04-15-2015

what is wn8? 

new windows?



RenamedUser_555746413 #16 Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:43 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 3108 battles
  • 96
  • Member since:
    06-13-2018

I am running a second free play account as an experiment  my main account as anarchistic is around 2500 and 55%wr, 10000 games I was about 800 wn8 and 46%wr

 

my F2Pexp account is 58% and I think 2600 ish after 4000 games?

 

so allowing for the obvious reroll boost I think quite a bit.  there are many games I have lost because of no gold ammo, especially when a lower tier but tbh I am so fed up with wgs changes in last 18 months 2 years I am no longer prepared to give them any money so F2P it is

 

best thing is WG are throwing so many boosters, frontline, free premium tank marathins, etc you can play this game free quite easily except perhaps tier 10

 

edit so in summary I think premium time and gold and consumables help to boost win rate and wn8 but economy wise there is no need to pay at all


Edited by RenamedUser_555746413, 17 March 2019 - 05:45 PM.


Nishi_Kinuyo #17 Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:50 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 8397 battles
  • 5,653
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

View PostFTR, on 17 March 2019 - 03:06 PM, said:

 

I don't think this statement is correct. There is many people with thousands of battles (hated sealclubbers?) that play f2p. I myself play since beta with breaks inbetween and all I did was purchasing  premium for a few months total so I could grind some tanks/stockpile credits. I did not purchase any premium vehicles, never converted xp or paid gold to retrain crew etc.

 

And yeah of course playing with premium consumables or great crews won't mean you can play like an idiot and win for free, not at all. The point is that it helps and does increase your overall wn8 (based on qb experiment). Basically the same player will have way worse performance when playing for free.

I'm sorry, but since when are sealclubbers inexperienced?

An inexperienced player at tier 3-4 will still perform poorly enough to not be considered a sealclubber.

While an experienced player doing so is essentially padding his stats.

 

There is also still a minor difference between retraining to 90% using credits, and 100% using gold.

Neither of which a new/inexperienced player is inclined to do, afaik, because they most likely don't realise the performance hit it gives them.



LordMuffin #18 Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:39 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 50371 battles
  • 12,400
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    06-21-2011

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 17 March 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

There was that other unicum who did the same a few year ago, angel of something or another?

Think the conclusion was that yes, sending money on the game gives one an advantage, but it is in no way a replacement for skill.

The main issue with F2P players is, I think, that since they don't spend money on the game, they aren't as invested into it and as such might care less about performing well.

On the flip side, you got plenty of whales who spend a lot on the game but don't care about gitting gud.

 

So the main difference is mostly knowing which tricks allow you to maximise your tank's performance without spending extra money.

An... inexperienced... player might play a tier 8 tank stock, with a 50% crew, while an experienced player would rarely do so.

Going for "good" tanks is optional imo, since a good player could probably do better in a bad tank than a bad player might in a good one.

AngelofAwe did it at a time when this game was vastly different though.

The conclusion he got was as you say, but I think the difference has grown since then.

 

Personally I am f2p now, and have been since release of Defender.

But since I don't grind any tanks, almost exclusively play T8 premium tanks, never plays T10 because I find it horribly boring.

I don't think I am not that effected by it.

Other players, who find T10 fun to play, grind tanks etc are most probably in a different situation. 



FTR #19 Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:49 PM

    Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 15702 battles
  • 222
  • Member since:
    08-03-2010

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 17 March 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but since when are sealclubbers inexperienced?

An inexperienced player at tier 3-4 will still perform poorly enough to not be considered a sealclubber.

While an experienced player doing so is essentially padding his stats.

 

There is also still a minor difference between retraining to 90% using credits, and 100% using gold.

Neither of which a new/inexperienced player is inclined to do, afaik, because they most likely don't realise the performance hit it gives them.

 

I was referring to you saying f2p players aren't invested into the game which I think is far from truth. I don't think being f2p has much to do with being invested into the game or not. People are usually f2p because they either have no money to spend on wot, or it's matter of principle for them not to pay for microtransactions in games or just feel no need to if they gonna play in their T67 for next 10k matches anyway, since playing low tiers is kinda affordable even for f2p accounts.

 

Ofc. there are also weekend players and players which don't play a whole lot, but I don't think they account for big % of total battles fought each week/year in world of tanks, since well, they don't play a lot.


Edited by FTR, 17 March 2019 - 06:54 PM.


OMG_Abaddon #20 Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 11789 battles
  • 744
  • [BDCP] BDCP
  • Member since:
    04-19-2011

Yeah, I believe a game without P2W would mean many people would have much better ratings.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users