Seriously WG? renaming a user because he has weed in his name...

fucking lame

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Signal11th #1 Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:56 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 41545 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

Don't know the guy myself but I noticed you forced someone called Emeraldweed to change his name? Why exactly? because he has weed in his name? Seriously? I really just don't get your thought process on this but there's plenty of places weed is legal now (can't stand the stuff myself) 

So literally any word that has a other meaning can't be used now?  So if I change my name to "doorknob" or "chickenbreast" I'll have to rename it eventually..  I mean when I saw Emeraldweed the first thing I thought of was Ireland not getting spannered off my tits.

xx984 #2 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:02 AM

Major

• Player
  • 60452 battles
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL

View Postsignal11th, on 18 March 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

Don't know the guy myself but I noticed you forced someone called Emeraldweed to change his name? Why exactly? because he has weed in his name? Seriously? I really just don't get your thought process on this but there's plenty of places weed is legal now (can't stand the stuff myself) 

So literally any word that has a other meaning can't be used now?  So if I change my name to "doorknob" or "chickenbreast" I'll have to rename it eventually..  I mean when I saw Emeraldweed the first thing I thought of was Ireland not getting spannered off my tits.

get ready to change your name; As as far as i know alot of criminals use signals and so on :ohmy:

signal1
/ˈsɪɡn(ə)l/
noun

1. 1.
    a gesture, action, or sound that is used to convey information or instructions, typically by prearrangement between the parties concerned.

laulaur #3 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:06 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47485 battles
  • [FOXX] FOXX

So WG, when are you going to change all the names that contain 'weed' in them? Because it looks to be A LOT OF THEM.....

https://worldoftanks...&at_search=weed

FataL_ShadowZ #4 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:10 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9129 battles
Yeah I saw that thread earlier and how the discussion was pathetically dealt with (yet again) by the moderation team. Makes you wonder what depths they will hit next?

Balc0ra #5 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:18 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 70161 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postsignal11th, on 18 March 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

Don't know the guy myself but I noticed you forced someone called Emeraldweed to change his name? Why exactly? because he has weed in his name? Seriously? I really just don't get your thought process on this but there's plenty of places weed is legal now (can't stand the stuff myself

The keyword here is "plenty". There are still more places it's not, even by logo and name. That and there is an age factor here. WOT has a lower age rating vs most games. Thus a different set of rules WG has to follow to keep that ratiting. Not sure how the word alone fits into that. But if it does, it might be a cause for it too. 

Somethings, names, or objects are less accepted in some places vs others. Thus some can get more offended by it than others. And thus report it more then others is what I suspect it all boils down to. 

MeNoobTank #6 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:21 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15156 battles
  • [GT_WC] GT_WC

Oh no !

I am starting to get anxious about my in game nick now..:ohmy:

laulaur #7 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:21 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47485 battles
  • [FOXX] FOXX

Meanwhile these nicknames seems to be perfectly fine:

*edited*  

https://worldoftanks...t_search=hitl3r

Or these:

*edited*  

And 1 million  'a s s'  users: https://worldoftanks...t&at_search=ass

Edited by Jahpero, 19 March 2019 - 10:31 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to unwanted names.

Obsessive_Compulsive #8 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:38 AM

General

• Player
  • 28743 battles

View Postlaulaur, on 19 March 2019 - 12:21 AM, said:

*edited*  

Or these:

*edited*  

a s s  is a double whammy because it means bottom and the last 2 letters means thingymabob.

OMG_Abaddon #9 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11789 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

I've seen a lot of these in the past, he probably was the only one reported for having "Weed" in his name, but it's a probably an automated response rather than an actual person making the decision. For example, here in Spain many names have a diminutive or alternative form, certain names are obvious but some aren't, for example:

- Juan Ramón becomes Juanra. Easy enough.

- María Teresa becomes Mayte. Well, this one adds a letter that doesn't match either name, but the "y" stands for "and" in Spanish, so it's fair.

- Jose María becomes Chema. This one made up the first half, WTF.

- Jose becomes Pepe. This is real, you can look it up, and there's a story about churches and whatever behind it.

- Enrique becomes... Kike. And this word means something very specific in English. It doesn't mean Enrique, or Henry (direct translation for Enrique), it's a very derogatory term that many people are prone to be offended when reading.

Now imagine this guy who is called a word that in a different language is an insult logging in 3 days after buying his PS4 only to know he's permanently banned, and he doesn't even speak English! I was right there and we were both bamboozled when we saw that, it was the day I learned the meaning of a new word... Luckily he explained the issue and he got his account back in a couple days, though I'll never forget that moment. Sometimes certain words mean something entirely different in other languages and may trigger some people to react differently, and you literally have no clue about what's happening until you get a big red warning sign in front of you telling the story of how you screwed up without even knowing.

I hope it was all a mistake and it gets fixed as well for your friend the Emerald plant.

Obsessive_Compulsive #10 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:38 AM

General

• Player
  • 28743 battles

View Postsignal11th, on 18 March 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

Good on your for raising this point.

FataL_ShadowZ #11 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:44 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9129 battles

View Postlaulaur, on 18 March 2019 - 11:21 PM, said:

*edited*  

Or these:

*edited*  

I'm sure that all of those would be picked up after a thorough investigation of the playerbase username inventory...

There are plenty of others which have made it through as well

*edited*  

Takes literally 2 mins to pull that list out when those could have been prevented.

Edited by Jahpero, 19 March 2019 - 10:34 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to unwanted nicknames.

laulaur #12 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47485 battles
  • [FOXX] FOXX

View PostFataL_ShadowZ, on 18 March 2019 - 11:44 PM, said:

I'm sure that all of those would be picked up after a thorough investigation of the playerbase username inventory...

There are plenty of others which have made it through as well

*edited*  

Takes literally 2 mins to pull that list out when those could have been prevented.

Wow, i knew that WG is full of incompetents - but this is just plain stupidity and laziness.

markynocarpy #13 Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:37 AM

Private

• Player
  • 32541 battles
I have noticed too many players names on here with names that are intended to take the piss out of wg . They seam totally blind to it funny every  one else can see it . Yet
they are fast to cencer chat on here ‘ here meaning the game make one slip up with one mod on here and you are chat banned . It’s about time wg did a bit of looking at the more vulgar names that players use and block them it’s makeing wg a joke .we are laughing at wg for not seeing it

7thSyndicate #14 Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:06 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 45402 battles

Why is WG so sensitive with nicknames/numbers/inscriptions, i agree with some offensive words but this is pathetic... bunch of soy boys.

What about if WG could focus on actually making the game playable again instead of making it worse everythime a update comes up...

We give feedback about the game but nothing happen, our opinion is just our opinion they dont even read the forum.

Pansenmann #15 Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:37 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35530 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postxx984, on 19 March 2019 - 12:02 AM, said:

get ready to change your name; As as far as i know alot of criminals use signals and so on :ohmy:

I hope my name doesnt contain any racist content.

unhappy_bunny #16 Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:41 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19371 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View Postsignal11th, on 18 March 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

It does seem a little OTT and I had never connected this playername with any dodgy substances, but when you put "Emerald Weed" into a search engine, lo and behold.........  well you try it and see.

So its not just the word weed, its the combination of the words which presumably break the rules. For example, Chickweed has no connection with dodgy substances and would therefore not break the rules. 

The question is, did WG discover this for themselves or did another player report it? I would guess it was reported, otherwise one would have to assume WG are going to trawl through the playerbase and sort out all the other names that also break the rules and I cant see them employing people to do that. 

Maybe we, the players, need to start reporting some of the names, especially those listed in the previous posts. Give WG a lot of work to do and see if they appreciate that. 

Sfinski #17 Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:35 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 34696 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View Postlaulaur, on 19 March 2019 - 01:06 AM, said:

So WG, when are you going to change all the names that contain 'weed' in them? Because it looks to be A LOT OF THEM.....

https://worldoftanks...&at_search=weed

Already made a ticket with that list and they dismissed it. They said that I have to provide the player names and they have to be active players. So I guess I know what I am doing next weekend. One name / one ticket.

erotic_hamster #18 Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:11 AM

Private

• Player
  • 480 battles

Use this incredible tool to create usernames that doesn't offend anyone!

https://www.random.org/passwords/

To be honest  I think wargaming should probably just link to this site under the account creation process.

One quick go and I already have 5 completely offense free usernames!

• ReCcwUfu
  • VHdjer7t
  • 7ke3SK7W
  • f8pmYgk4
  • AAag9GH8

Edited by erotic_hamster, 19 March 2019 - 08:13 AM.

MeetriX #19 Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:16 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 22174 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

View Posterotic_hamster, on 19 March 2019 - 08:11 AM, said:

Use this incredible tool to create usernames that doesn't offend anyone!

https://www.random.org/passwords/

To be honest  I think wargaming should probably just link to this site under the account creation process.

One quick go and I already have 5 completely offense free usernames!

• ReCcwUfu
  • VHdjer7t
  • 7ke3SK7W
  • f8pmYgk4
  • AAag9GH8

It failed as soon as I clicked.

• cumJK59U
  • ALDVAU58
  • C9cmpf5C
  • 3WX8X6pV
  • jFshYw9

UserZer00 #20 Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12053 battles
Do I have time to make popcorn before this is moderated?

Hmmm. Salted or caramel?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users