Seriously WG? renaming a user because he has weed in his name...

fucking lame

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Verblonde #101 Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2622 battles
  • [FUNDB] FUNDB

View Posteekeeboo, on 19 March 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

First Part (Most Important): 

1) 

In this case, the reported name (yes it was reported) triggered an action because when you google the name and you go to the search results, it's very clear what the name is and how it would break the forum rules. 

So we're letting Google define what words mean nowadays? I have a pretty low threshold for getting (mildly) annoyed by offensive nicknames in game - comes with being an old git - and I have to say Emerald's was pretty mild - surely you guys have better things to do than to mess about with accounts whose names call to mind (well to me, anyway) plants, possibly Irish ones, or perhaps a character from Molesworth ("weeds and wets" )? If you look at a reputable source for definitions of words' meanings (like the Oxford dictionary, rather than Google), the Cannabis usage is one of several associated meanings, and certainly not the primary one.

Presumably, to change said name from RenamedUser_xxxx will require gold? A cynic might think that WG might have an ulterior motive for hair-trigger name changing...?

Edited by Verblonde, 19 March 2019 - 10:04 PM.

Laatikkomafia #102 Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:20 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 23265 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Googling eekeeboo, this comes up:

A plane being flown in World of Warplanes.

I find that highly offensive.

Memeing and joking aside. I honestly think that if a name isn't directly offensive, like GetAID.. GetAssistances, AdolfWasCorrect and so on, they shouldn't be censored. ESRB has rated WoT for Teens. But as with every online game, "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB (PC)"

Edited by Laatikkomafia, 19 March 2019 - 10:33 PM.

Homer_J #103 Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32802 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostVerblonde, on 19 March 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

Presumably, to change said name from RenamedUser_xxxx will require gold? A cynic might think that WG might have an ulterior motive for hair-trigger name changing...?

Nope, you get a free name change but it has to be approved.

Verblonde #104 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:06 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2622 battles
  • [FUNDB] FUNDB

View PostHomer_J, on 19 March 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

Nope, you get a free name change but it has to be approved.

That's fair enough then, where there is a good reason to censor the original name...

I assumed there wasn't, as you see quite a lot of RenamedUsers around the place.

Homer_J #105 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32802 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostVerblonde, on 19 March 2019 - 10:06 PM, said:

you see quite a lot of RenamedUsers around the place.

I know one who actually renamed themself to that and paid for it.

Others maybe didn't read their email, didn't notice, or decided to embrace it.

RaxipIx #106 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33817 battles
  • [DID0] DID0
I must admit, i will give credits to WG Mods to moving this thread to the off topic  segment, they have ninja skills, at least they had the decency to leave Dongers=XXX thread in gameplay section.

eekeeboo #107 Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

EU Video Content Manager

• WG Staff
  • 47132 battles

View PostLaatikkomafia, on 19 March 2019 - 05:48 PM, said:

Should I be afraid? :hiding:

Always! 

View Postarthurwellsley, on 19 March 2019 - 06:16 PM, said:

In 2012, Wargaming's revenue was declared to be 217.9 million Euro, with a net profit of 6.1 million Euro.[22] Wargaming's shares were delisted from the Cyprus Stock Excahnge in 2015, and it remains a privately held company.

Frankly for a company that makes a six million profit on a two hundred and seventeen million turnover, WG can afford to spend more on customer support. I note when I go to the WG jobs page that WG are advertising Customer Support jobs in Minsk =

https://wargaming.co...vacancy_995066/

I cannot speak the language so do not know how much the pay is for the Minsk job.

Nor do I know where the English Speaking Customer Support is situated.

Lets just assume it is Cyprus where the average yearly income is 21,936 euros (see https://tradingecono...om/cyprus/wages) and unemployment is averaging between 7-16%.

If WG spent another 500,000 euros they could add another 16 or 17 CS agents to the payroll. With one million euros the number of new agents would double.

It is time WG spent more on CS so that each agent could spend more time assessing tickets and then issues such as EmeraldWeeds name would not end in a ban. 

​Please also remember that money earned isn't just put in pockets, but re-invested and put into future projects and staff etc. 
16:01 Added after 2 minutes

View PostVerblonde, on 19 March 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

So we're letting Google define what words mean nowadays? I have a pretty low threshold for getting (mildly) annoyed by offensive nicknames in game - comes with being an old git - and I have to say Emerald's was pretty mild - surely you guys have better things to do than to mess about with accounts whose names call to mind (well to me, anyway) plants, possibly Irish ones, or perhaps a character from Molesworth ("weeds and wets" )? If you look at a reputable source for definitions of words' meanings (like the Oxford dictionary, rather than Google), the Cannabis usage is one of several associated meanings, and certainly not the primary one.

It's not about google defining the meaning of a word, but if your tool to check, is this what it actually means. Then yes, it's better to research than a guess. It's the same as opening a dictionary. 

View PostLaatikkomafia, on 19 March 2019 - 09:20 PM, said:

Googling eekeeboo, this comes up:

A plane being flown in World of Warplanes.

I find that highly offensive.

Memeing and joking aside. I honestly think that if a name isn't directly offensive, like GetAID.. GetAssistances, AdolfWasCorrect and so on, they shouldn't be censored. ESRB has rated WoT for Teens. But as with every online game, "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB (PC)"

I was a planes player more than a tanks player for a while, that video shows me saving some serious butt :D I was able to hold off the 2 people on my tail and save my teammate from the 4 on his :) 

Rupolsky #108 Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1730 battles
  • [HUZ1] HUZ1
How can they go to the beach if they get offended when they see weed?

Captain_Kremen0 #109 Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:07 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 39261 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostRaxipIx, on 19 March 2019 - 10:37 PM, said:I 

So Raxi - after all that myther with DONG-gate, you left the Dingers and buggered off to -MM-?

Unless they are another bunch of sub-dingers in which case i will look a bit daft.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users