Seriously WG? renaming a user because he has weed in his name...

fucking lame

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Captain_Kremen0 #41 Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:15 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 39230 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

First thing I thought of was Emerald City from Pokemon, which I assumed was ripped from some Japanese anime background. Completely shocking response from WG who's left and right hands obviously aren't wired through a brain.

View Postqpranger, on 19 March 2019 - 08:07 AM, said:

Dude,,, your username... feels kinda strange even to me.

Methinks some one is trying to chat you up QP.......

TPpie #42 Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:19 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16230 battles

Imposing extreme penalties on minor and/or forgivable offensives and then justifying it under arbitrarily interpreted pretenses while being neglectful towards much more damning offenses being committed by others.

Just like in good days of  Rodina, eh Nikolai?:medal:

I feel bad for the person who lost their name tho - I hope the USSR WG doesn't implement a prohibition on pies :(

eekeeboo #43 Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:22 AM

EU Video Content Manager

• WG Staff
  • 47132 battles

Hello!

I'm sorry for not catching up on this thread sooner but someone brought it to my attention. I will investigate what's going on and what's happened today. Please be aware that an answer may not be forthright as I had most of my morning already booked for a project, but please know it's not forgotten and i will be seeing what's up exactly from our end. 

Eek 

I also wanted to highlight to all involved that I understand the sensitive nature of the topic but please do not break forum rules wish sharing certain content etc. I would also like to highlight once more of you see and or find a potentially offensive name, please report it so that it can be investigated and sanctioned if needed. 

Cobra6 #44 Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16530 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Posteekeeboo, on 19 March 2019 - 09:22 AM, said:

I also wanted to highlight to all involved that I understand the sensitive nature of the topic but please do not break forum rules wish sharing certain content etc. I would also like to highlight once more of you see and or find a potentially offensive name, please report it so that it can be investigated and sanctioned if needed. 

What I don't understand about this is why you are changing names that 1-2 people find offensive (a part from the obvious Hitler ones of course).

In cases like this thread, the hundreds/thousands/millions of other players seeing the same name and not giving a d@mn should be a far better indicator *NOT* to change the name, surely? Why are we changing names like this after years of them being in use because a very tiny amount of people complain? 

Cobra 6

DracheimFlug #45 Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10000 battles

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 19 March 2019 - 02:41 AM, said:

It does seem a little OTT and I had never connected this playername with any dodgy substances, but when you put "Emerald Weed" into a search engine, lo and behold.........  well you try it and see.

So its not just the word weed, its the combination of the words which presumably break the rules. For example, Chickweed has no connection with dodgy substances and would therefore not break the rules. 

The question is, did WG discover this for themselves or did another player report it? I would guess it was reported, otherwise one would have to assume WG are going to trawl through the playerbase and sort out all the other names that also break the rules and I cant see them employing people to do that. 

Maybe we, the players, need to start reporting some of the names, especially those listed in the previous posts. Give WG a lot of work to do and see if they appreciate that. 

This.

Plus the fact that someone else seems to be getting away with something as bad or worse does not absolve the person trying to deflect blame thereby.

RaxipIx #46 Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33786 battles

View PostCobra6, on 19 March 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

What I don't understand about this is why you are changing names that 1-2 people find offensive (a part from the obvious Hitler ones of course).

In cases like this thread, the hundreds/thousands/millions of other players seeing the same name and not giving a d@mn should be a far better indicator *NOT* to change the name, surely? Why are we changing names like this after years of them being in use because a very tiny amount of people complain? 

Cobra 6

It's enough a single person to make a  manual CS ticket, and the name will change if you have a  good enough argument for it breaking some rule. After our debacle i tested it out, and that's how it works.

Also CS does not usually overrule CS decisions, and if they told him the name is breaking some rule, i for one would be amazed for him getting it back. But maybe for once WG can prove me wrong, and give this person his name back.

DracheimFlug #47 Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:36 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10000 battles

View Postarthurwellsley, on 19 March 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

Bold and underlined due to it being a statement of truth.

But arguably, 'good members of the community' are likely offended no matter what they do.

RaxipIx #48 Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33786 battles
Just for fun i print screened  the names laulaur found, i see they edited out the offensive names he found and linked in the thread, i'll check when i get back from work, to see what happened to those, if anything at all.

Edited by RaxipIx, 19 March 2019 - 10:56 AM.

Homer_J #49 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32787 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postbrevlada, on 19 March 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

Well OXIDE clan had a competition of who would get their name flagged first, so the have people like *edited*   and *edited* , to be fair *edited* is an actual dinosaur, but you would think that would need to be changed 

Jee, it's going to get tricky posting if we can't even mention the names of another player any more. :unsure:

Edited by Homer_J, 19 March 2019 - 11:06 AM.

Sirebellus #50 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23321 battles
It's a good job nobody is proud enough of living in Scunthorpe to include that in their username

TheDrownedApe #51 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 49904 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

I wonder if anyone is getting warning points for accurate, truthful comments

erotic_hamster #52 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:29 AM

Private

• Player
  • 480 battles

View Postbrevlada, on 19 March 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

Well OXIDE clan had a competition of who would get their name flagged first, so the have people like *edited*   and *edited* , to be fair *edited* is an actual dinosaur, but you would think that would need to be changed 

omg...the moderation here...is just absolutely tragic! :amazed:

Meanwhile we have some guy called sexibot or something making new spam thread every day consisting of a one line question. Perfectly fine.

Edited by erotic_hamster, 19 March 2019 - 11:30 AM.

____Green____ #53 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24753 battles
  • [B4LV] B4LV

I know real person with his real name Rudolf Hess. He created world of tanks acc with his real name in nick. WG pushed him to change nickname. I dont understand why people cant accept history as it is, as fact. Imagine how many Johns Smiths we have around world and I am sure that there is cool family guys, accountants, engineers, killers, maniacs. So last two makes John Smith a bad person? Rule breaker?

example: Like in my language there can be womans name Anna Līce (eng: Ana Shore) So lets put this name to nickname without underline and we got analice..... 

So....

Slyspy #54 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14703 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postarthurwellsley, on 19 March 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

Any English language speaker seeing the evidence (a screen shot which was produced from World of Warcraft) that EmeraldWeed was a restro-druid avatar back in 2007 would not have banned the name, because they would have fully understood the context.

I'm a native English speaker and I didn't make that connection. I assumed it was a drug reference, I just didn't care enough to report it. I think someone did though since name changes seem to be entirely reactive - someone complains, complaint is upheld by the owner of the IP, name change is mandated.

FataL_ShadowZ #55 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:40 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10737 battles

View PostSirebellus, on 19 March 2019 - 10:12 AM, said:

It's a good job nobody is proud enough of living in Scunthorpe to include that in their username

Funny you should mention that, I used to be a member of the (at the time) largest UK airsoft forum and it's Admin was a guy from Scunthorpe. I still recall someone saying in the forum's IRC channel who didn't get along with him that "he put C*nt in Scunthorpe".

Jahpero #56 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

• Senior Moderator
  • 12990 battles
  • [_CDC_] _CDC_

Hello everyone ! 

No worries, I was sure that you will complain about my moderation. :P

So to explain myself : I removed the inappropriate names for a simple reason. I don't appreciate to read such things. (inappropriate nicknames

Furthermore, even if these names are completely inappropriate, it is still naming and shaming if you post them here.

I'm a forum moderator and only focused on applying forum rules. 

Thank you for your understanding. 

Jahpero

Edit: Please keep in mind that discussing forum moderation is forbidden. Let's focus on the main topic of this thread. 

Jumping_Turtle #57 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 70068 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostJahpero, on 19 March 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

I don't appreciate to read such things. (inappropriate nicknames

Can someone explain to me why Wargaming allows those nicknames to begin with? Some are so obvious and clear to all. For instance if you do quick search on names starting with cancer (or translations in different languages) or ebola to name two you find hunderds. It does seem a bit unfair if you allow tons of them but force rename the ones who get reported, most likely because he killed them ingame.

____Green____ #58 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:59 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24753 battles
  • [B4LV] B4LV
There is place in europe.... (link to wikipedia)

8126Jakobsson #59 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:12 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 79781 battles
I interpret the name "flashmove_iron" to refer to an act of exhibitionism shoving a certain rod. Very tasteless having such a name in the moderator list, I say. 

laulaur #60 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47494 battles
  • [CTRL-] CTRL-

View PostJahpero, on 19 March 2019 - 10:47 AM, said:

So to explain myself : I removed the inappropriate names for a simple reason. I don't appreciate to read such things. (inappropriate nicknames

Furthermore, even if these names are completely inappropriate, it is still naming and shaming if you post them here.

I'm a forum moderator and only focused on applying forum rules. 

I agree that your job is just forum moderation, but can you ask someone from upper management why people are allowed to chose inappropriate nicknames?

Can't WG do some automatic thing that just does not allow you to choose a bad nickname? Right now you allow people to create accounts (or rename existing ones) with bad nicknames and as far i understood you rely on someone making a ticket complaining about one person at a time. Some people would call this incompetence, laziness or just total lack of interest for this issue...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users