Top of the Tree: Last Chance to Reach the Maus

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:00 AM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
One final push, you're almost at the Maus!

The full text of the news item

kovertjenko #2 Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:34 AM

Private

• Player
  • 27512 battles

Started the grind at the start of the event with the vk 100.01p and reached the maus last week.

this tank is a great dissapointment so far and cause for great frustration.

all games you get gold spammed and artied to death.

And i know how to angle a tank after many years of play.

this tank is totally unplayable in the current game meta and completely no fun to play, so after the event is over ill sell the vk the mauschen and the maus for scrap and never play them agaim until they change the game drastically.

All have a nice day

Z517 #3 Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:38 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1500 battles

I don't know.... I imagined this to be way more fun. WAY more. Yes, the Vk30.01P was actually an amazing tank and so much fun to play but then getting to the TigerP ? … Uff…. sooo sooo hard to say what I want while staying with my personal rules about public verbalization :D ...

Finished the Vk100.01 and Tiger1 grind from TigerP on Saturday …. have to say it was far less enjoyable than I expected it …. Managed to push the ADG up to a meager 1044 … even though I had some really good games in it (I think my record was about 2.5k dmg in a game?) it is quite painfull …. and knowing I'll also want to get the 45_A from there? Uff …

Don't get me wrong, I like it - I think I'll enjoy the Tiger1 even less (better dmp but the size? why does the tiger1 look SO much bigger/wider than the tigerP? --- also armor? don't really need to aim with the 203mm pen of the tigerP to pen the tiger1. just somewhere onto the front --- not the turret --- and it's fine ^^) but it wasn't fun. Especially like some people here mentioned that the "200 mm" frontal armor actually only are the upper part of the frontal hull armor.... *sigh*.

The cheeks are weak. So weak that KV-2's regularly penetrate them with HE-shells for full dmg. which is a Joke (first of all with that pen they shouldn't pen the cheeks at all even if they hit them and second with their accuracy they shouldn't even be able to hit the cheeks from 50+ meters :/ ) …. the same for most of the frontal hull armor. Even angled you stand nearly no chance against an IS with his 175mm pen - while he can angle his front armor so you can't pen him reliably with your 203mm (and better acc).

I think the Tiger AND tiger P should be a bit more agile (power-to-weigth + deg/sec --- last one also for the turret maybe) and a 10-20% better frontal armor. Differentiation between TigerP and Tiger? DPM and mobility I would say. Tiger should be a bit more nimble than the P (but both at least 20% more agile than they are now) and keep a DPM advantage (even though it wouldn't hurt to bump the TigerP to 1850dpm stock without modules). They both still wouldn't be "OP" but definitely way more enjoyable to play (and I'd actually keep the TigerP. It just looks great somehow :) )

Even though the Vk100.01 seems to be a good tank it also seems to be super situational. Open maps with some tier 9 TD's or 3 arties? say Hi to no mobility and being one of the largest targets ever (which gets splashed even by moving KV-2's on the frontal armor for 200-400 dmg which just feels ridiculous …..a) that KV2's have such an easy time hitting this huge brick and b) that they actually do 200-400dmg and kill some modules every time they hit ….. while bouncing at least one out of 5 shots from the "super inaccurate" 10.5cm 200mm pen gun. Still don't know how that sometimes works but whatever). The others? I guess just worse. Bigger target. More fun for all large-caliber-he shooters (and tier9 300mm+ heat rounds) :( …. very disappointed with the line in general, starting from the TigerP (which was fun. but more a pain in the [edited]most of the times than fun.... and those few games with the right maps and not bottom-tier in tier 9 games didn't make up for being low tier way to often --- and not mobile / well enough armored or dpm-wise situated to fight tier 9s, even from 2nd line)

Zmago5000 #4 Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12122 battles

Same here.

Angling this tank vs Russian Objects is useless cos I cant pen them and they can pen me -weekspots on turret i guess, that they dont have.....

06:39 Added after 0 minutes
vk100p is by far the best in that line .....

Hellraiser0201 #5 Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:01 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24445 battles
  • [BTU] BTU

No, thanks and i will tell you why. The Maus is terrible in the current state of the game. And its not because it lacks firepower but the problem lies elsewhere...

1. Everyone is firing "special" ammo at it and armor doesn't work as it should for a super heavy with this poor mobility.

2. Too many SPG units/players. I have seen many players with 20 000 battles in a single artillery piece. Every game 2 or 3, on some maps like Malinovka or Prokhorovka playing Maus is a punishment. You are bombarded and stunned all the time by 3 SPG's it is very frustrating and almost unplayable.

And so i prefer to miss my last chance this time :popcorn:

GG and GL on the battlefield to all Maus players out there! :honoring:

HadurHun #6 Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 71080 battles
  • [HADUR] HADUR
In game this tank is obsolete! It has been surpassed by other tanks. It is my first tier 10 and the reason for it it's because back then it didn't had better tanks to fight it (like 7 years ago), especially as there were no gold ammo and it was facing low tiers as tier 6.
Today it's armor is ineffective, after a good hp buffed came an hp nerf! the slow speed makes it a pinata in the open fields and anyone with gold ammo can pen it! And yes it is still gold ammo no mater how you call it!
Even the Maurbrecher which is like the missing link is a joke! The giant weakspots that any tier 6 can pen makes it's a terrible tank.

Edited by HadurHun, 25 March 2019 - 08:43 AM.

Badz360 #7 Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19045 battles
  • [-B2C-] -B2C-

Two points:

- I have really enjoyed this new version of TotT

- I have actually enjoyed this line

First point is that with the 5x daily bonus (I bought the additionals too) - it feels like grinding an entire line within a month is achievable. I started the event with the Vk100 unlocked but little played. Managed to get the Maus unlocked (incl. not playing random during Frontlines), and on the TigerP researched the Vk45 line, the Ferdinand and the Other Tiger l. So thumbs up from me for the new format.

Secondly - I have found the tanks competitive. Angling is key, including keeping those cheeks off angle until ready to shoot - but have enjoyed bouncing a lot of shots then doing damage back. My Vk100 stats not so great, but got better through Mauschen and Maus as I learned the angling more.  I will keep the VK100 and the Maus - ditching the Mäuschen as it has the widest cheeks of the bunch.

Finally - any clue as to next months TofT??

kovertjenko #8 Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:25 AM

Private

• Player
  • 27512 battles

Keeping the cheeks of target is useless, youre oponent just wait until youre ready too shoot and put youre turret on target and when you do, BAM!

especially soviet mediums wich for some reason dont have to aim have a field day with this tank.

SlyMeerkat #9 Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:25 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18531 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-
No thx, im grinding myself the E50M line instead 

kovertjenko #10 Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:26 AM

Private

• Player
  • 27512 battles
I do like the new top of the tree event though.

BlueSnail #11 Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:36 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21862 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Actually, I have been using the 2X crew exp bonus for each battle.  I have focused on getting my Pz.IV H crew to their second skill of BIA.  I am at 94% right now.  I have been using personal reserves to accelerate the process.  I will usually grind 2 hours per day.  I am confident I will achieve my goal by the end of the month.

So essentially, I chose my own goal.  I had no intention of climbing the German tree.

grouch666 #12 Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:39 AM

Private

• Player
  • 13160 battles
  • [BE-AR] BE-AR

Hello, Just a quick question. 

What is the next Top of the Tree tank?

Badz360 #13 Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:44 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19045 battles
  • [-B2C-] -B2C-

View Postkovertjenko, on 25 March 2019 - 09:25 AM, said:

Keeping the cheeks of target is useless, youre oponent just wait until youre ready too shoot and put youre turret on target and when you do, BAM!

especially soviet mediums wich for some reason dont have to aim have a field day with this tank.

True - but not everyone on the battlefield is so competent/patient. Quite often you can bait shots, but granted not always.

Zmago5000 #14 Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:51 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12122 battles

View PostBadz360, on 25 March 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

Finally - any clue as to next months TofT??

Is  there a plan to have new TofT every month??

Decado1337 #15 Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:22 AM

Private

• Player
  • 3744 battles

Hi guys!

Any advises for newb tanker will be greatly appreciated.

So, as newbie player I thought it's good idea to grind this tree as bonuses are significant.

VK 30.01 P, great tanks, had and have loads of fun playing it:

Tiger P, at first big change from VK 30.01 P in every aspect, slow, worse gun - different. But managed more or less to play and have some results

But VK 100.01 P? OMG, how to play with stock gun? How to pen any T8 and T8+ tanks frontally? As this is where I can only crawl, to frontal HT fights that lasts longer? Cannot get to quick fights obviously, as they are over before I arrive lol.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

Edited by Decado1337, 25 March 2019 - 10:26 AM.

kovertjenko #16 Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:05 AM

Private

• Player
  • 27512 battles

i personaly free xped the second gun as i found the 1 gun unplayable in tier 9 and 10 games wich you see, lets be honest, 85% of the time.

i advice you heavily to quit the grind for the maus, as you only become more frustrated as you move along the tree.

Simona2k #17 Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:06 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2595 battles
  • [GGLT] GGLT
Nice

Voen_Sveta #18 Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:25 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 47918 battles
where can i vote for the next top of the tree? 
10:29 Added after 4 minutes

View PostDecado1337, on 25 March 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

But VK 100.01 P? OMG, how to play with stock gun? How to pen any T8 and T8+ tanks frontally? As this is where I can only crawl, to frontal HT fights that lasts longer? Cannot get to quick fights obviously, as they are over before I arrive lol.

use gold or HE shells. or spend free xp to open top gun, as it designed by wg))

top gun has not much better penetration, but more powerful HE will help you a little

NoobySkooby #19 Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:39 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16975 battles
  • [D3NK] D3NK

View PostDecado1337, on 25 March 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

Hi guys!

Any advises for newb tanker will be greatly appreciated.

So, as newbie player I thought it's good idea to grind this tree as bonuses are significant.

VK 30.01 P, great tanks, had and have loads of fun playing it:

Tiger P, at first big change from VK 30.01 P in every aspect, slow, worse gun - different. But managed more or less to play and have some results

Thanks!

The fun is angling, and bouncing the shots,and the stock gun can work too, but that is the trick, getting the angling right, The Mauschen is more of a Mauerbrecher, and the mighty Maus does not seem that mighty at all, angle it all you want and you get penned, between that and my Type 5 I feel safer in the Type 5, not saying it is a bad tank, but those slab sides never seem to stop any pens.

I would love to toon up with folk to learn how to properly do it, but then the main problem I have is my general lack of enthusiasm to even open the game.

operation_mindcrime #20 Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 53694 battles

View Postkovertjenko, on 25 March 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

Started the grind at the start of the event with the vk 100.01p and reached the maus last week.

this tank is a great dissapointment so far and cause for great frustration.

all games you get gold spammed and artied to death.

And i know how to angle a tank after many years of play.

this tank is totally unplayable in the current game meta and completely no fun to play, so after the event is over ill sell the vk the mauschen and the maus for scrap and never play them agaim until they change the game drastically.

All have a nice day

velcome to gold spamming game bro

my experience is similar, but that tier IX is less gold spam and maus is only good in +2 mm

11:41 Added after 4 minutes
So when WG will announce new TOT?
11:42 Added after 4 minutes
So when the WG will announce new TOT?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users