Jump to content


Alternative income ideas for WOT


  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

UserZer00 #1 Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:19 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 11915 battles
  • 768
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013

People complain of the "pay to win' aspect of the game linked to premium accounts, free experience conversion to skip grinds, OPed tanks that you can buy or gamble for, etc.

 

Let's not focus on those things. Instead, what are some things you would be willing to pay for (occassionally or often) that wouldn't have an impact on gameplay or advancement.

 

A few random ideas to start it off...

- Tank skins

- Tank customization options:

     - Personalized emblems

     - Custom colors

     - Custom voices

- No more in garage "publicity"

- Option to gift emblems, camo patterns, experience, etc. to thank someone for a well played game

- Get well soon card to send when you accidently team kill someone

 

Your turn

 

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by UserZer00, 26 March 2019 - 08:19 AM.


NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:23 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 32035 battles
  • 3,202
  • [FISHY] FISHY
  • Member since:
    06-13-2015
We had crew skins recently. People were complaining that they were pointless because they provided no benefit. Literally complaining that they were not P2W.



UserZer00 #3 Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:30 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 11915 battles
  • 768
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 26 March 2019 - 08:23 AM, said:

We had crew skins recently. People were complaining that they were pointless because they provided no benefit. Literally complaining that they were not P2W.
 

I think we can safely say that no matter what they change or introduce there will always be someone who will come along and complain about it, make fun of it or otherwise have something negative to say.

 

I'd suggest just ignoring the negatives and focusing on the ideas themselves.  I'm sure there are some people out there who are loving the idea of crew skins.  (Anyone?)



Gardar7 #4 Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:31 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 23776 battles
  • 2,107
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 26 March 2019 - 05:23 AM, said:

We had crew skins recently. People were complaining that they were pointless because they provided no benefit. Literally complaining that they were not P2W.
 

 

I think most of them complained that nobody else can see the crew members, so it is pointless. Exhibitionist b@stards.

satakuua #5 Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 12204 battles
  • 318
  • [HKI] HKI
  • Member since:
    04-08-2013

I am all for funny hats and multiple ways to customize one’s tenk. Need not be a anything overly stupid, it is still a war game, but more paint options, spare equipment and such I do like.

 

The decals we have now are a move to the right direction, although I’d rather they cost 50 cents or a dollar/euro rather than gold. Cost in gold just makes it feel too esoteric and convoluted what with the need to buy hard currency first and all that. Slap dollar or euro prices on those goods, and see the sales soar, says I!


Edited by satakuua, 26 March 2019 - 08:56 AM.


undutchable80 #6 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:05 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 10088 battles
  • 2,740
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-30-2014
Wish they would make the names you can pick from nation-independent. Who cares if a French COmmander has an English name...

satakuua #7 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 12204 battles
  • 318
  • [HKI] HKI
  • Member since:
    04-08-2013

View Postundutchable80, on 26 March 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

Wish they would make the names you can pick from nation-independent. Who cares if a French COmmander has an English name...

 

This is true.



UserZer00 #8 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:07 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 11915 battles
  • 768
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013

View Postsatakuua, on 26 March 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

I am all for funny hats and multiple ways to customize one’s tenk. Need not be a anything overly stupid, it is still a war game, but more paint options, spare equipment and such I do like.

 

The decals we have now are a move to the right direction, although I’d rather they cost 50 cents or a dollar/euro rather than gold. Cost in gold just makes it feel too esoteric and convoluted what with the need to buy hard currency first and all that. Slap dollar or euro prices on those goods, and see the sales soar, says I!

I think their use of gold is kind of like chips at  the casino.  Once you've converted your money to gold you are less likely to think of it as "money" and are more likely to spend it easily.

 

I agree that it might be better to just charge money and make it more transparent.

 

Hmmmm, transparent paint anyone?



satakuua #9 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:10 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 12204 battles
  • 318
  • [HKI] HKI
  • Member since:
    04-08-2013
Yeah, I’d imagine ”casuals” and people playing for free would find coughing up a few tens of cents easier to swallow than investing in hard currency.

Edited by satakuua, 26 March 2019 - 09:11 AM.


Jauhesammutin #10 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:17 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 23031 battles
  • 372
  • [KANKI] KANKI
  • Member since:
    11-05-2013

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 26 March 2019 - 07:23 AM, said:

We had crew skins recently. People were complaining that they were pointless because they provided no benefit. Literally complaining that they were not P2W.
 

 

The whole point of cosmetic items is to show them off to other players. Why would anybody pay for a crew skin when nobody, except you, can see it? You can use mods for that and get any kind of crew you want. They have no use in battle either. It's like the "clean" garage before the 1.0 forest. No effect on anything else but the garage, where you try to spend as little time as possible.

Tigerfish_Torpedo #11 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 31809 battles
  • 108
  • [T0MS] T0MS
  • Member since:
    10-08-2013

I would pay real money - oodles of cold, hard cash - for a MM that gives me a fair game; something with a win chance over 35% would be amazing (5 wins from 17 games in the last 12 hours).

 

You could introduce a new personal reserve to receive fair (an even distribution of blue/purple/green players between the teams) matchmaking for an hour/2 hours/4 hours etc.

 

Whilst this sounds like tongue-in-cheek humour, I would genuinely pay for that...



UserZer00 #12 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:36 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 11915 battles
  • 768
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013

View PostJauhesammutin, on 26 March 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

 

The whole point of cosmetic items is to show them off to other players. Why would anybody pay for a crew skin when nobody, except you, can see it? You can use mods for that and get any kind of crew you want. They have no use in battle either. It's like the "clean" garage before the 1.0 forest. No effect on anything else but the garage, where you try to spend as little time as possible.

It's for the limited audience that wants nothing to do with modpacks, but wants interesting crews?

 

I agree that they aren't interesting for me and Id rather WG put their efforts somewhere else, but maybe they had a bored artist sitting around doing nothing else?

 

Maybe they can turn them into bobble head charictatures that can appear on the front of players tanks? (Then again, maybe not)

 

How about custom portraits so you can add yourself as commander of your tanks?



unhappy_bunny #13 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:37 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 19256 battles
  • 3,189
  • [-OC-] -OC-
  • Member since:
    08-01-2012

View Postundutchable80, on 26 March 2019 - 08:05 AM, said:

Wish they would make the names you can pick from nation-independent. Who cares if a French COmmander has an English name...

 

It would be nice if the British crew had British name instead of American names.

 

Back on topic, I have no objection to buying Premium time to boost xp/credits, especially to get a crew trained a little quicker. I dont mind buying cammo as that not only makes the tank look better but gains a small benefit in concealment. I dont even object to paying to demount certain equipment if I sell a tank, or paying to move crew to a new tank in order to save the time it takes bringing a new crew up to a decent level. 

I do not want to buy cosmetics for my tanks or my crew, especially ones that only I can see when in the garage. I do appriciate they others may like such fancy things, and if they are willing to pay for them, then fine.

 



UserZer00 #14 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:38 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 11915 battles
  • 768
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013

View PostTigerfish_Torpedo, on 26 March 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

I would pay real money - oodles of cold, hard cash - for a MM that gives me a fair game; something with a win chance over 35% would be amazing (5 wins from 17 games in the last 12 hours).

 

You could introduce a new personal reserve to receive fair (an even distribution of blue/purple/green players between the teams) matchmaking for an hour/2 hours/4 hours etc.

 

Whilst this sounds like tongue-in-cheek humour, I would genuinely pay for that...

The new "gold" ammo option.

 

If they implement it I'll raise a ticket for them to pay you royalties



Tigerfish_Torpedo #15 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:55 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 31809 battles
  • 108
  • [T0MS] T0MS
  • Member since:
    10-08-2013

View PostUserZer00, on 26 March 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

If they implement it I'll raise a ticket for them to pay you royalties

 

I'd become rich overnight; I'd never need work again! 



WindSpIitter1 #16 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:56 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 278 battles
  • 1,135
  • [-UM] -UM
  • Member since:
    01-13-2017

Quite happy to see more options for visual customization. I'm however not impressed with how slowly they are introduced, nor the execution. It's a sorry mix of camo patterns, skins and remodels variously exclusive to nations or vehicles. Some of the skins paint the rollers/wheels, others don't. Then there are vehicles with 'integrated' skins, that they still sell - for whatever reason.

 

One issue is of course that the game's target group may not be too into visuals, or at least not after separating the wheat from the chaff for eight years straight.

 

 

View PostTigerfish_Torpedo, on 26 March 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

I would pay real money - oodles of cold, hard cash - for a MM that gives me a fair game; something with a win chance over 35% would be amazing (5 wins from 17 games in the last 12 hours).

 

You could introduce a new personal reserve to receive fair (an even distribution of blue/purple/green players between the teams) matchmaking for an hour/2 hours/4 hours etc.

 

Whilst this sounds like tongue-in-cheek humour, I would genuinely pay for that...

 

SBMM has been pretty thoroughly debunked. It's a nice idea on paper, but has inherent flaws even before you start considering player satisfaction. Feel free to argue how it can work. I'm all ears.

 

One classic issue would be someone whose winrates are basically 'unicum' at <T6 but well below average for T8-10. How would you treat those? 

If you don't think this is relevant, you happen to be a very nice example. First off, though, let me say that I don't really give a darn about your stats or what you play. That's up to you. This is not intended to 'shame' your stats; they just happen to be a really good and relevant example relevant to your 'even distribution' matchmaking.

 

If you are a top-tier tank in a 3-5-7 game (in a T8-10 tank), matched up via average winrate against an enemy equivalent, you're automatically a huge burden to your team. Your average winrate is 51,2%, but subtracting the results from 2,5k games in Cruiser III/M2 Light (~71% WR) you end up at 49,44%. Sure, most of us have higher winrates on lower tiers, but few club this hard and much.

 

It's fun to see the reasons why Wargaming still 'allows' sealclubbing, and how even "above-average" players have such a suspiciously low oxygen consumption. :)



VarzA #17 Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:05 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 24517 battles
  • 1,752
  • [USAGI] USAGI
  • Member since:
    06-17-2011

View PostUserZer00, on 26 March 2019 - 08:19 AM, said:

People complain of the "pay to win' aspect of the game linked to premium accounts, free experience conversion to skip grinds, OPed tanks that you can buy or gamble for, etc.

 

Let's not focus on those things. Instead, what are some things you would be willing to pay for (occassionally or often) that wouldn't have an impact on gameplay or advancement.

 

A few random ideas to start it off...

- Tank skins

- Tank customization options:

     - Personalized emblems

     - Custom colors

     - Custom voices

- No more in garage "publicity"

- Option to gift emblems, camo patterns, experience, etc. to thank someone for a well played game

- Get well soon card to send when you accidently team kill someone

 

Your turn

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If you come up with better ideas, WG marketing will implement them while still keeping present income generation schemes because 'why the h*** not".

This is how companies work, and this is how WG works.



Jauhesammutin #18 Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 23031 battles
  • 372
  • [KANKI] KANKI
  • Member since:
    11-05-2013

View PostUserZer00, on 26 March 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

It's for the limited audience that wants nothing to do with modpacks, but wants interesting crews?

 

I agree that they aren't interesting for me and Id rather WG put their efforts somewhere else, but maybe they had a bored artist sitting around doing nothing else?

 

Maybe they can turn them into bobble head charictatures that can appear on the front of players tanks? (Then again, maybe not)

 

How about custom portraits so you can add yourself as commander of your tanks?

 

Feels like a job for a trainee before joining the balancing team.

They could release so many cosmetics (shown in battle) but I guess they want to keep the game at least somewhat historical.



Balc0ra #19 Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:15 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 69698 battles
  • 18,724
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

Thing is that after personal reserves came. Most I know have little interest in premium time. And WG have said the appeal of premium time has dropped off due to PR, as in less are getting it. So they have plans to rework the appeal of it.... whatever that means.

 

But tank customization is def something they can make more money on if they add more cool stuff that is not ruining it for those that are stuck on a terrible tier 8 grind vs a Defender. And if they are to sell visual aspects, they need to add more historical stuff to get more people into it I suspect. And not just a ton of non-historical. Not just the new bigger emblems, but preset camo styles for sale is def lacking in that area. Like most I know also don't waste gold or money on stuff that only a few will see. As that setting is off by default. If you fix up your tank, you want more to see it. Paint is mostly historical. But less so on the rest on stuff added of late, and why I've hardly spend anything on it. And custom emblems etc would def be off. That and we all know what 90% would put up there anyway to ruin that system on day one for it to work sadly. 

 

What I would like to see is the option to add visual things to the tank. Not paint etc. But logs, helmets, equipment, weapons, food, oil and fuel cans. Tents, camo nets or vegetation, tools and other stuff you would put on your tank to make it visually unique. Heck I suspect some would even pay to change the interleaving wheels on their Tiger.

 

 


Edited by Balc0ra, 26 March 2019 - 10:18 AM.


Tigerfish_Torpedo #20 Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:24 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 31809 battles
  • 108
  • [T0MS] T0MS
  • Member since:
    10-08-2013

View PostWindSpIitter1, on 26 March 2019 - 09:56 AM, said:

If you are a top-tier tank in a 3-5-7 game (in a T8-10 tank), matched up via average winrate against an enemy equivalent, you're automatically a huge burden to your team. Your average winrate is 51,2%, but subtracting the results from 2,5k games in Cruiser III/M2 Light (~71% WR) you end up at 49,44%. Sure, most of us have higher winrates on lower tiers, but few club this hard and much.

 

It's fun to see the reasons why Wargaming still 'allows' sealclubbing, and how even "above-average" players have such a suspiciously low oxygen consumption. :)

 

Well, spank my a*se and call me Sally. Seems I was put in my place with a nice, personal attack on my stats. :P

 

I have, however, said many times on the forum that when I get stupid streaks of losses I drop to tier 3 to resurrect my winrate (you missed my stats in the FCM Pak, by the way, which I genuinely use for seal clubbing lesser skilled players) - simply because I stand more chance of single-handedly carrying a game with so few hitpoints on the enemy team. If WG don't want people to seal-club, they need to encourage people to play higher tiers. From my perspective, tier 8 is broken at the moment, and tier 10 relies too heavily on those top tier tanks to carry the game. 

 

You can stand in judgement of my stats all you wish, however the point remains valid. I have a folder of screenshots in which I've been one of the best players (by personal rating) on my team (with my 5k rating) and yet been against 6, for arguments sake, 8-10k rated players. How hard would it be to take those six better players and divide three per team? Besides, whilst you can pad wn8 stats sufficiently by playing lower tiers, personal rating is not so easily affected by winning low tier games. In case you hadn't noticed, personal rating is modified partly by damage inflicted and assisted damage. At tier 2, you won't deal as much damage as you do at higher tiers, so your personal rating will not progress as fast as wn8. 

 

Without the unsolicited attack on my stats, you failed to ask whether I was talking about wn8 or personal rating. Check the win ratio thread, currently under discussion. I've made similar points to personal rating being a better yardstick to value player ability. 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users