Arty, wheelies and super heavies

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Calmb4 #1 Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9649 battles
  • [COV4] COV4

So I've been grinding 'Top of the tree: Maus' and you know had it's up and downs that is until I reached the VK 100.01 P. Now don't get me wrong, in the right settings its a beast and I love it but in those particular matches described in the title how do you play super heavies? 

If there's any distance you have to travel at the start without cover or buildings my survival time is shockingly low, 3 arty's couple o wheelie scouts and often I'm dead or clinging to life before I get close to cover. Had so many games where I didn't fire a shot, 12 mins or more left on the clock and I'm back in garage.

Rant over pfffft

Edited by Calmb4, 26 March 2019 - 04:55 PM.

pallie_the_artillerist #2 Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19056 battles
  • [TRTD] TRTD
You could try using a super heavy spall liner.

Calmb4 #3 Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9649 battles
  • [COV4] COV4

View Postpallie_the_artillerist, on 26 March 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

You could try using a super heavy spall liner.

750k :( yeh your right, now I have to grind more credits lol such is life

The_Wallet_Warrior #4 Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10405 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCalmb4, on 26 March 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

So I've been grinding 'Top of the tree: Maus' and you know had it's up and downs that is until I reached the VK 100.01 P. Now don't get me wrong, in the right settings its a beast and I love it but in those particular matches described in the title how do you play super heavies? 

If there's any distance you have to travel at the start without cover or buildings my survival time is shockingly low, 3 arty's couple o wheelie scouts and often I'm dead or clinging to life before I get close to cover. Had so many games where I didn't fire a shot, 12 mins or more left on the clock and I'm back in garage.

Rant over pfffft

Yeah it does suck when you're in a Type 5 and get spotted immeadiately by a wheelie then perma-tracked and stunned by three artys focussing you so you literally die a minute into the game from the constant arty hits you can't avoid because no cover and perma-track/stunning. It happens a lot.

Then again it does balance out in town maps where you get cover quick. 

Noo_Noo #5 Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:47 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22527 battles

View PostThe_Wallet_Warrior, on 26 March 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

Yeah it does suck when you're in a Type 5 and get spotted immeadiately by a wheelie then perma-tracked and stunned by three artys focussing you so you literally die a minute into the game from the constant arty hits you can't avoid because no cover and perma-track/stunning. It happens a lot.

Then again it does balance out in town maps where you get cover quick. 

Always nice to see a Type 5 burn :trollface:

I suppose the actual point here is the imbalance that exists with some maps. Mountain pass springs to mind and the south spawn in particular. Doesn't really matter what tank you're driving there. You have to accept that you may lose HP getting to the western flank. 

voodoospirit #6 Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

Major

• Player
  • 27929 battles
  • [PFDR] PFDR

i spot faster and better with regular lights and i can even use binocs if needed. if u get spotted by wheelies, that means u would have been spotted before by other lights.

and yes, i m a light player.

Edited by voodoospirit, 26 March 2019 - 06:00 PM.

Bordhaw #7 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:02 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13422 battles

Rant over pfffft

I think playing heavy tanks was a thing back in 2017. 

cicis2016 #8 Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 749 battles
yes sh is oldschool , play another better

tajj7 #9 Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27067 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostBordhaw, on 26 March 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

I think playing heavy tanks was a thing back in 2017. 

View Postcicis2016, on 26 March 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

yes sh is oldschool , play another better

Considering the VK 1001 P is one of the most OP tier 8s, these comments make no sense. Super Heavies are pretty much the meta these days, the game is basically World of Heavy tanks. 

Also as said above, lights will also spot heavies easily and early. 

Being slow and easy to spot is supposed to be a balancing factor for these over armoured monstrosities, but considering the poor map design, in most games it is not. 

Rant over pfffft

If you are dying early in the VK 1001 P often then considering that thing is one of the most OP tier 8s, you are doing something wrong, take wider routes to places, most maps you won't get spotted early. 

Dorander #10 Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 19620 battles

If you can't reach significant cover in 3 minutes, you are doing something wrong. My best guess without additional information is driving way too close to the middle.

Wheelies yoloscout, you get spotted early, okay that can feasibly happen 'cause that's what the buggers do, even with their less than impressive viewrange. You're spotted, you will be unspotted before artillery even manages to load let alone fire at you. If those wheelies aren't being harrassed by the rest of your team having advanced this far on the map, your team is doing something wrong or they are not far on the map in which case you are too close to the middle on an open map.

If it is the former, get to the nearest cover to either block the spot if arty is focussing on you or take up position to shoot the wheelies yourself. Don't blindly keep driving in a straight line thinking you need to get somewhere, you need to react to the battle and stay alive. It is true that sometimes in a superheavy you'll get blocked from reaching the position you wanted to go safely, that's the disadvantage of having low speed. But it shouldn't be the norm, and you definitely shouldn't keep doing the same thing if it gets you killed all the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users