Jump to content


What is the purpose of light tanks?


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

TheCrazyViking #1 Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:27 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 4731 battles
  • 51
  • Member since:
    06-17-2011
I am not asking ignorantly. Their purpose, at least de jure, is to scout enemy vehicles. But de facto their view range is noting particularly better than anything TDs have camping in a bush on the redline with binos and camo net. 

barison1 #2 Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:25 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 40861 battles
  • 1,099
  • [MEME] MEME
  • Member since:
    01-14-2012

with quite bunch lights you can reach bushes fairly quick like E1 on proka for north spawn or F1/G1(not sure which exact) for south spawn. or the bushes on field of malin. if having binocs or optics+decent crew(+food) you can gather couple k spotting. apart from that you can use it as a medium to farm some damage. dont forget that lights dont lose camo on the move which makes them better to reach some positions unlike meds and so

 

sidenote; yer better off using vstab/rammer/optic for most lights, vstab can be traded in for vents for couple. binocs can be taken if no rammer avaible(like for french autoloaders)



rageman4u #3 Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:50 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 16540 battles
  • 502
  • Member since:
    09-20-2012

 Some lights like ru251 have great fun. Good view range.

With lights you can do many things apart from  spoting. 

You can reset cap, you can kill defenceless arties, you can be the rabbit in the middle. You can avoid your tanks geting flanked, you can flank enemies too. All situational.

 Ofcourse meds like patton has better spoting than many lights. But light is really someyhing different and hard to master.



NoobySkooby #4 Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:00 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 16074 battles
  • 4,401
  • [S052] S052
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

View PostTheCrazyViking, on 27 March 2019 - 11:27 PM, said:

I am not asking ignorantly. Their purpose, at least de jure, is to scout enemy vehicles. But de facto their view range is noting particularly better than anything TDs have camping in a bush on the redline with binos and camo net. 

 

Many Heavies will out spot a light now, and WG likes to remove cover, so apart from zipping around and annoying everyone, not much point to them at all, LT432 is still the best so far, as long as you really know what your doing or toon with someone who does.

OreH75 #5 Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:48 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 50812 battles
  • 2,739
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE
  • Member since:
    05-29-2013

View PostNoobySkooby, on 28 March 2019 - 01:00 AM, said:

 

Many Heavies will out spot a light now, and WG likes to remove cover,

 

Really? HT might outpsot a wheeled vehicle for sure but a LT with good crew controlled by a player with knowledge of viewrange and spotting mechanics still outplay a Heavy Tank easily.

SuedKAT #6 Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:22 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,692
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

View PostOreH75, on 28 March 2019 - 02:48 AM, said:

 

Really? HT might outpsot a wheeled vehicle for sure but a LT with good crew controlled by a player with knowledge of viewrange and spotting mechanics still outplay a Heavy Tank easily.

 

Well I got tier 8 HT's with 463m view range but sure I got the camo of a house and a LT properly played on the few maps that they can move around on still have quite the vision advantage but it's not like how it used to be back in the days when HT's were blind and we had bushes all over. With the "debushing" of maps, higher and higher view ranges on other classes and now WV's yoloing the few positions that's LT friendly there really ain't much left for an LT to do apart from on a few select maps, don't get me wrong though, I still enjoy playing them but they need a lot of love to become competitive again.

tajj7 #7 Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:54 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 27067 battles
  • 14,651
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

Lights are about view range + mobility + camo (and on the move) combination, that allows them to be the best spotters.

 

I'd say the main problem light tanks are facing right now is the change to bushes that happened with 1.0, we have now seen that your view range and camo is pretty meaningless if you have a 1.0 bush to hide behind.

 

We have seen in this thread - http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/701982-post-10-bushes/page__hl__%2Bfwhaatpiraat__fromsearch__1 

that the tank with the worst camo in the game, using a bad crew, can out spot a high camo and high view range tank in the open.

 

So IMO the 1.0 bushes need nerfing to give less camo and that will massively help light tanks do their job. 



tankqull #8 Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:58 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 21354 battles
  • 1,604
  • [WBD] WBD
  • Member since:
    08-31-2011

View Posttajj7, on 28 March 2019 - 08:54 AM, said:

Lights are about view range + mobility + camo (and on the move) combination, that allows them to be the best spotters.

 

I'd say the main problem light tanks are facing right now is the change to bushes that happened with 1.0, we have now seen that your view range and camo is pretty meaningless if you have a 1.0 bush to hide behind.

 

We have seen in this thread - http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/701982-post-10-bushes/page__hl__%2Bfwhaatpiraat__fromsearch__1 

that the tank with the worst camo in the game, using a bad crew, can out spot a high camo and high view range tank in the open.

 

So IMO the 1.0 bushes need nerfing to give less camo and that will massively help light tanks do their job. 

 

corrected it a bit, as their viewrange is crap, but they can provide recon to some degree.

tajj7 #9 Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:16 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 27067 battles
  • 14,651
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

View Posttankqull, on 28 March 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

 

corrected it a bit, as their viewrange is crap, but they can provide recon to some degree.

 

The only light tanks with crap view range are the wheeled vehicles, generally on all the other tiers they will have amongst the best view ranges depending on the nation 

TheCrazyViking #10 Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:18 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 4731 battles
  • 51
  • Member since:
    06-17-2011

View PostSuedKAT, on 28 March 2019 - 05:22 AM, said:

 

Well I got tier 8 HT's with 463m view range but sure I got the camo of a house and a LT properly played on the few maps that they can move around on still have quite the vision advantage but it's not like how it used to be back in the days when HT's were blind and we had bushes all over. With the "debushing" of maps, higher and higher view ranges on other classes and now WV's yoloing the few positions that's LT friendly there really ain't much left for an LT to do apart from on a few select maps, don't get me wrong though, I still enjoy playing them but they need a lot of love to become competitive again.

 

Exactly. As a new player to the light tank role, I feel pretty useless as a tier 7 even with fully upgraded LTG with 100 % crew. I equip binos and camo net and follow the guide to scout passively for this particular vehicle. I don't have the mobility and agility as a wheeled vehicle to partake in very aggressive active scouting. 

SuNo_TeSLa #11 Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:30 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 41428 battles
  • 266
  • [SWEPH] SWEPH
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013

View PostTheCrazyViking, on 28 March 2019 - 04:18 PM, said:

 

Exactly. As a new player to the light tank role, I feel pretty useless as a tier 7 even with fully upgraded LTG with 100 % crew. I equip binos and camo net and follow the guide to scout passively for this particular vehicle. I don't have the mobility and agility as a wheeled vehicle to partake in very aggressive active scouting. 

 

sure you have less mobility, but decent armor and a tiny profile, not a bad tank at all :)

8126Jakobsson #12 Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:34 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 73335 battles
  • 4,161
  • Member since:
    12-20-2014
Their purpose is to keep some of us entertained with their vroom-vroom and pew-pew. I also like to tell myself that it's the class for intellectuals.  

barison1 #13 Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:41 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 40861 battles
  • 1,099
  • [MEME] MEME
  • Member since:
    01-14-2012

View PostTheCrazyViking, on 28 March 2019 - 04:18 PM, said:

 

Exactly. As a new player to the light tank role, I feel pretty useless as a tier 7 even with fully upgraded LTG with 100 % crew. I equip binos and camo net and follow the guide to scout passively for this particular vehicle. I don't have the mobility and agility as a wheeled vehicle to partake in very aggressive active scouting. 

 

ltg is more a medium than an LT tho, mount vstab/rammer/optic and it can farm quite a bit of dmg while getting some assist aswell in meantime

Edited by barison1, 28 March 2019 - 04:41 PM.


Cobra6 #14 Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16463 battles
  • 16,703
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

View PostTheCrazyViking, on 27 March 2019 - 10:27 PM, said:

I am not asking ignorantly. Their purpose, at least de jure, is to scout enemy vehicles. But de facto their view range is noting particularly better than anything TDs have camping in a bush on the redline with binos and camo net. 

 

According to WG's balancing it's anything that doesn't involve dealing damage themselves, especially at range.

 

Judging by the lousy penetration but more importantly the criminally high penetration drop off over range.

 

Cobra 6



Objec7 #15 Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:48 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 14729 battles
  • 531
  • Member since:
    03-25-2017

View PostTheCrazyViking, on 27 March 2019 - 11:27 PM, said:

I am not asking ignorantly. Their purpose, at least de jure, is to scout enemy vehicles. But de facto their view range is noting particularly better than anything TDs have camping in a bush on the redline with binos and camo net. 

 

I love lights

stokerel #16 Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:01 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 13206 battles
  • 169
  • Member since:
    05-25-2012
When cars are the new trend, proper old school lights are pretty much hipster tanks now :)

The most fun to play class, you get immediately punished for your stupidity if you're impatient but being first on damage and xp as a t8 light in a t10 game is one of the most satisfying experiences in WoT. That and derping IS3 roofs with the KV2 but I digress...

OP: if you're ever playing red line camping in your TD or heavy get ready to thank your light tanks for getting those targets lit for you to have anything to shoot at.

Bordhaw #17 Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:45 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 13422 battles
  • 3,608
  • Member since:
    01-29-2017

View PostTheCrazyViking, on 27 March 2019 - 10:27 PM, said:

I am not asking ignorantly. Their purpose, at least de jure, is to scout enemy vehicles. But de facto their view range is noting particularly better than anything TDs have camping in a bush on the redline with binos and camo net. 

 

This is a place for new players to discuss, chat and ask questions about the game.

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/forum/3005-newcomers-section/



Unicorn_of_Steel #18 Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 11357 battles
  • 222
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A
  • Member since:
    12-29-2017

They are great fun, you can zipp around the map, easily escape from trouble, sneak really close up to the reds, annoy heavies, gatter 'free' spotting damage.... 

 

I love it when i keep the enemy lit while watching their HP dissappear because of your arty or td's. Or watch a heavy passing by at 150 mtrs without spotting you....and than shoot him up the **s. 

 

Seriously, it is more exciting than you maybe think. 


Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 28 March 2019 - 09:07 PM.


RenamedUser_50080245721 #19 Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:14 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 10978 battles
  • 481
  • [RWTW_] RWTW_
  • Member since:
    06-10-2011

Light tanks are horrible to grind w/o spending real money. 75% crew and no modules (no tracks yet) and stock gun and no pen and etc. etc. means you have no viewrange meaning you can't spot anything, can't facetank anything and hardly can shoot anything and you probably get invis-shot. After they become well-equipped they can become quite strong imo. That assisted damage and that non-stop poke can add up really fast. Also they are great de-cappers.

 

However lights suck a bit at maps with no arty/TD & city maps like Himmelsdorf. But this is a bit rare.

 

Also in lategame if you are the only mobile tank left you can win the game. Say the enemy has 3 big slow heavy tanks a bit spread out across the map. You can just circle them or even hope they don't have the gun depression and facehug them (for some reason big tanks can't crush tiny tanks in this game). Or even lamer, just cap enemy base if they have really slow tanks, they won't make it back in time.

They also excel at taking out big turretless TD's like the JGPZE100. If it is alone you can probably kill it 100->0.


Edited by RenamedUser_500802457, 28 March 2019 - 09:15 PM.


WindSplitter1 #20 Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 18452 battles
  • 2,907
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM
  • Member since:
    02-07-2016

View PostCobra6, on 28 March 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

 

According to WG's balancing it's anything that doesn't involve dealing damage themselves, especially at range.

 

Judging by the lousy penetration but more importantly the criminally high penetration drop off over range.

 

Cobra 6

 

This and of course, fodder for the remainder classes.

 

The fix is simple. Give them back their original stats and guns. WoT 7 will be back which means they have the old stats. Good.

Should be easier to replace current XML files with the old ones.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users