Jump to content


Is it time for crew speciality templates?


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

LincolnTank #1 Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:29 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 7479 battles
  • 176
  • Member since:
    11-17-2015

I’m struck by how vanilla the skill sets for tank crews are. Is it time that WG consider further customisations via skill trees where you can configure crew skills to your desired templates? Obv it’s commonplace elsewhere but I think the idea would bring extra interest.

 

People are going to say ‘sort out the current issues’ but there’s no harm in thinking wider than the current is there? 



unhappy_bunny #2 Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:43 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 19256 battles
  • 3,189
  • [-OC-] -OC-
  • Member since:
    08-01-2012
cAn you give an example of what you would like to see? 

LincolnTank #3 Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:20 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 7479 battles
  • 176
  • Member since:
    11-17-2015
I was thinking of a system based on a set number of extra skills that could be gained via points - an example of a skill for a driver might revolve around him having fine tuned the engine to increase the speed marginally above the normal or him having an increased level of understanding of his vehicles tracks which might reduce the track repair time or improve the odds of being tracked less. The commander might have an improved knowledge of the vehicle armour which might confer a bonus to the chance of a shot ricocheting off the armour......the list could go on and on

The key as with most templates is that you can never have enough points to give everyone every skill. It’ll just increase tank diversity a bit more and make tankers choose wisely which skills they want

OohSpicy #4 Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:35 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 24061 battles
  • 28
  • [TSOP] TSOP
  • Member since:
    02-15-2014
all of those are already included; repairs, Bia, clutch braking. off-road driving, all of these do those things, except the bounce thing, which is game mechanics and players own skill determine that. I am in favor of some changes but it will be a total crap-storm if they completely rework the skills because players have used hundreds of hours to train their crews to a certain point. (minimum of 3-4 skills in my case)

Edited by OohSpicy, 28 March 2019 - 12:38 PM.


TheDrownedApe #5 Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 47206 battles
  • 5,993
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    03-27-2013

WG admitted 3/4 years ago that crew skills needed a rework.

 

however they have done nothing since (except highlight they still need doing) perhaps because they cannot find a way to monetize it



gpalsson #6 Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 24349 battles
  • 8,813
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

Look they have already made crew skins and that's at least about 2 years of work so we can't expect more for the next 4 years from WG. They are working as fast as they can!

 

Balance department and development of new balance related stuff that doesn't increase revenue directly consist of one person! This is the guy.

 

Most of them were relocated to "premium vehicle money making factory" as they call it, and there are quite a few more people at that place:


Edited by gpalsson, 28 March 2019 - 01:00 PM.


LincolnTank #7 Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:04 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 7479 battles
  • 176
  • Member since:
    11-17-2015

View PostOohSpicy, on 28 March 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

all of those are already included; repairs, Bia, clutch braking. off-road driving, all of these do those things, except the bounce thing, which is game mechanics and players own skill determine that. I am in favor of some changes but it will be a total crap-storm if they completely rework the skills because players have used hundreds of hours to train their crews to a certain point. (minimum of 3-4 skills in my case)

Everyone can get those as standard. I’m referring to an advanced skill template in addition where you can pick and mix advanced skills within your points allocation 

 


Edited by LincolnTank, 28 March 2019 - 01:05 PM.


Jauhesammutin #8 Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:21 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 23031 battles
  • 372
  • [KANKI] KANKI
  • Member since:
    11-05-2013

View PostLincolnTank, on 28 March 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

I was thinking of a system based on a set number of extra skills that could be gained via points - an example of a skill for a driver might revolve around him having fine tuned the engine to increase the speed marginally above the normal or him having an increased level of understanding of his vehicles tracks which might reduce the track repair time or improve the odds of being tracked less. The commander might have an improved knowledge of the vehicle armour which might confer a bonus to the chance of a shot ricocheting off the armour......the list could go on and on

The key as with most templates is that you can never have enough points to give everyone every skill. It’ll just increase tank diversity a bit more and make tankers choose wisely which skills they want

 

So basically the crews skills we already have, but allocated in a skill tree instead of the linear progressive XP system?

Homer_J #9 Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:11 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 31180 battles
  • 33,700
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostLincolnTank, on 28 March 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

I’m struck by how vanilla the skill sets for tank crews are. Is it time that WG consider further customisations via skill trees where you can configure crew skills to your desired templates? Obv it’s commonplace elsewhere but I think the idea would bring extra interest.

 

People are going to say ‘sort out the current issues’ but there’s no harm in thinking wider than the current is there? 

 

I really don't want to have to reskill 100++ crews.

 

Minor adjustments like making 6th sense mandatory then maybe but no to a major overhaul WoWP/WoB style at this advanced stage.



Balc0ra #10 Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 69698 battles
  • 18,724
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 28 March 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

WG admitted 3/4 years ago that crew skills needed a rework.

 

however they have done nothing since (except highlight they still need doing) perhaps because they cannot find a way to monetize it

 

Actually, they are looking at console and blitz atm to see how their system works, and how it affects their games for ideas etc. Blitz for instance, has a common skill set pr class vs pr tank. So all meds train the same med skills. Tho limited to a 5 skills pr class. They each have levels. So you can make them more effective. WOT console only has one crew. And thus skills are way waster to train, and they have a wide set of different skills that are fitted for different styles of play. Inc adding extra seconds to drowning, more camo when in bushes. Faster repair on just tracks etc. As they have at least 2x more skills then we have. 

LincolnTank #11 Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:25 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 7479 battles
  • 176
  • Member since:
    11-17-2015

View PostJauhesammutin, on 28 March 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

 

So basically the crews skills we already have, but allocated in a skill tree instead of the linear progressive XP system?

Is envisage a system where XP could be used to buy points for the skill tree.

 

The current skills would remain as established but extra could be added as enhanced skills for these points to be used on such as (just examples 

 

Further bonuses

 

to aim

to camo

to repair

to stun/he effects resistance

to spotting 

to driving

 

the difference is that your skill points don’t allow you to choose everything on offer. You have to compromise. The key thing would be to make them subtle and effective but not game breaking 



Miepie #12 Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 2866 battles
  • 418
  • [KEL-O] KEL-O
  • Member since:
    05-19-2018

They could add a few archetypes for each crew specialisation [1] and for each crewmember you get to pick only one. Like ehrr… hmm.

Driver:

Mechanic - small bonus on repairing things

Drag Racer - small bonus on speed

Rally Rider - small bonus on manoeuvrability?


 


 

 

[1] to be unlocked when they reach 100% basic training? 2 skills/perks at 100%? Tuesday?



TheDrownedApe #13 Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 47206 battles
  • 5,993
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    03-27-2013

View PostBalc0ra, on 28 March 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

 

Actually, they are looking at console and blitz atm to see how their system works, and how it affects their games for ideas etc. Blitz for instance, has a common skill set pr class vs pr tank. So all meds train the same med skills. Tho limited to a 5 skills pr class. They each have levels. So you can make them more effective. WOT console only has one crew. And thus skills are way waster to train, and they have a wide set of different skills that are fitted for different styles of play. Inc adding extra seconds to drowning, more camo when in bushes. Faster repair on just tracks etc. As they have at least 2x more skills then we have. 

 

but my point is that they have done nothing about it in 3/4 years, even after admitting it needed a complete rework. Yet managed to bring out lots of new content that costs money

Jauhesammutin #14 Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:55 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 23031 battles
  • 372
  • [KANKI] KANKI
  • Member since:
    11-05-2013

View PostLincolnTank, on 28 March 2019 - 02:25 PM, said:

Is envisage a system where XP could be used to buy points for the skill tree.

 

The current skills would remain as established but extra could be added as enhanced skills for these points to be used on such as (just examples 

 

Further bonuses

 

to aim

to camo

to repair

to stun/he effects resistance

to spotting 

to driving

 

the difference is that your skill points don’t allow you to choose everything on offer. You have to compromise. The key thing would be to make them subtle and effective but not game breaking 

 

Does every crew member automatically get 2 skill points for example, or do you have to grind them like you would grind normal crew skills?

Homer_J #15 Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:26 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 31180 battles
  • 33,700
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 28 March 2019 - 02:54 PM, said:

 

but my point is that they have done nothing about it in 3/4 years, even after admitting it needed a complete rework. Yet managed to bring out lots of new content that costs money

 

Maybe they decided a complete rework would alienate too many existing players.

 

I stopped playing WoWP when they made me redo all my equipment, and I only had about a dozen planes.  Imaging logging in one day and you have 150 tanks, maybe 500 to 700 crew to reassign.

 

And how do you convert current individual crews which may be mixed up for premium tanks, into single crews for a tank or class or... And don't forget we paid for some of them with real money.


Edited by Homer_J, 28 March 2019 - 05:28 PM.


vasilinhorulezz #16 Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:38 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 23236 battles
  • 1,398
  • Member since:
    09-26-2014

View PostLincolnTank, on 28 March 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

I’m struck by how vanilla the skill sets for tank crews are. Is it time that WG consider further customisations via skill trees where you can configure crew skills to your desired templates? Obv it’s commonplace elsewhere but I think the idea would bring extra interest.

 

People are going to say ‘sort out the current issues’ but there’s no harm in thinking wider than the current is there? 

 

WG has discussed about a skill overhaul a while back, still I haven't found any recent news or announcements so far, except that video for upcoming changes where SS is discussed to be permanently active.

Geno1isme #17 Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 45858 battles
  • 9,529
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
  • Member since:
    09-03-2013

View Postvasilinhorulezz, on 28 March 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

WG has discussed about a skill overhaul a while back, still I haven't found any recent news or announcements so far, except that video for upcoming changes where SS is discussed to be permanently active.

Crew reworks have been discussed as far back as 2014 at least. It's a very tricky subject: If you change too much you may alienate many players, if you change too little people will perceive it as another useless change. Also it can have a huge impact on balancing and economy.

 

Personally I'd rather scrap the current system and come up with a new one rather than trying to just make changes.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users