Argh I cant play low tiers

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Noo_Noo #1 Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

Major

• Player
  • 22560 battles

I thought I'd have a bit of a LOL thread. 

If I play tier 8 I get by and do ok. I'll do my HP in damage quite a lot, I can manage a WR higher than 50% in a lot of my tier 8's, My WN8 isn't a disaster and will slowly creep forward. 

If I play Tiers 2, 3 and 4 while trying to start and grind new lines it's a crazy mess and I'm a UK politician

Anyone care to suggest / share why this is the case? 

PowJay #2 Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:16 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38579 battles

To play well in the lower tiers, you have to have vehicles that can carry in the face of insanity from both sides. At tier IV, you also have to have vehicles that will stand up against tier VI. If you are playing stock, or poor tanks, possibly with poor crews, then you will not be able to overcome the stupidity of noobs and the inexperience of newbies who will do all manner of things that you don't expect. You will also meet experienced players- like me- who have upgraded tanks with sixth sense, camo and other skills on their crews.

I have only played tier II in more recent times when my younger son started playing WoT. I mostly used the Tetrarch, which was my recollection, reflected in the number of games I have in it.

I only have tier II Premium gift tanks now, after the new player protection kicked in. My last regular tier II was the amazing T57 SPG. The moment that was swapped for the T1 HMC, my tier II regular vehicle days were over. I played the Mk VIC with the Crusader crew, but since the Crusader has been changed to a medium tank, I have never taken the Mk VIC out even once.

I have seven tier III vehicles now. Three are Premium gift tanks. I have had some of them for a long time, but I only bought the Pz IC back when it stopped seeing tier V. It is one of my best Wn8 vehicles.

At tier IV, I have 12 vehicles and two are Premium: one a prize and one a promotional reward. My pride and joy is the Ke-Ho which has the highest Wn8 of any of my vehicles other than a few with one or two battles.

The Alecto has the highest tier IV win rate and the second highest win rate of all of my well-played tank.

I tend to dip down to these tiers- particularly tier III as it does not count for missions most of the time- only when I have really had enough at higher tiers. I am good enough in these (and they are well upgraded with experienced crews) to make a difference even in the face of some of the worst noobs and newbies- something I can't do so well in higher tiers.

Not all of the replays below are wins and all are too old to view with download, BTW. Some are just great wins as top or equal tier. Some are amazing performance as bottom tier as well- which is why I have kept these vehicles.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4698288#mines-powjay-m15_42 Good, low-tier win

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4486638#serene_coast-powjay-marder_38t 9 kill loss

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4481349#himmelsdorf-powjay-t-29 8 kill loss

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4412410#murovanka-powjay-type_5_ke-ho Top damage in losing tier VI battle (not enough for HC medal)

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4376684#sand_river-powjay-marder_38t Two Battle Hero and one Epic medal

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4368120#serene_coast-powjay-lago High Calibre, Top Gun, 9 kills

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4209289#cliff-powjay-lago High Calibre against tier VI

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3977917#ruinberg-powjay-su-76m Kolobanov

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3783185#abbey-powjay-su-85b 10 kills

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3717865#redshire-powjay-alecto High Calibre against tier VI

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3702219#mountain_pass-powjay-type_5_ke-ho Top damage of my team against tier VI.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3489679#lakeville-powjay-marder_ii 11x my own HP against tier V.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3171871#sand_river-powjay-alecto 9 kills

http://wotreplays.eu/site/2848306#lakeville-powjay-type_5_ke-ho 3 Battle Hero medals.

gpalsson #3 Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:25 PM

General

• Player
  • 24508 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNoo_Noo, on 28 March 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

If I play tier 8 I get by and do ok. I'll do my HP in damage quite a lot, I can manage a WR higher than 50% in a lot of my tier 8's, My WN8 isn't a disaster and will slowly creep forward. 

If I play Tiers 2, 3 and 4 while trying to start and grind new lines it's a crazy mess and I'm a UK politician

Same here. Since I recently grinded the recruitment program and have about 300 games in low tiers,these are my thoughts on why low tiers are trash:

1) Usually your view range is good in higher tier. In lower tiers you are blind except for some p2w tanks and some seal clubbers. Huge disadvantage for lower tiers.

2) Low tiers have retarded HP to damage ratio. Whoever thought it would be a great idea that if a new player makes a single mistake the punishment should be death is an idiot.

3) in lower tier you have slow tanks and very slow aim time. This means you will often sit in the open and wait for the reticle to get smaller and campers will have a party because they are preaimed.

4) 6th sense. Trash low tier crew are missing this.

These things combined makes low tiers in a chaotic trash state which is why WG have decided to rush new players as fast as possible to higher tiers because they can't be bothered making lower tiers fun.

Edited by gpalsson, 28 March 2019 - 01:27 PM.

OllieCromwell #4 Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44332 battles
  • [GENB] GENB

Yeah .... I have the same ... Where low tiers used to be exactly what they are named .. 'low' tiers (1 to 4), nowadays low-tiers are anything up till tier 7 (and sometimes even 8).

Because people nowadays are rushing (allowed by WG) thru the lower tiers they reach the mid-tiers way to fast. Even tier 6 and 7 tiers nowadays become completely irrational, full of potatoes that lemming towards the first red dot they spot on the minimap, resulting in teams melting faster than a snow-man in the sun. At that point there is no defending or 'playing it smart; as you will be gang-banged by the complete opposing team.

Low- and mid-tiers are just a phase you need to get thru unfortunately.

Even 'git gud' won't work on the low tiers unless  you have a ridiculously OP tank.

Noo_Noo #5 Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22560 battles

View PostPowJay, on 28 March 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

To play well in the lower tiers, you have to have vehicles that can carry in the face of insanity from both sides. At tier IV, you also have to have vehicles that will stand up against tier VI. If you are playing stock, or poor tanks, possibly with poor crews, then you will not be able to overcome the stupidity of noobs and the inexperience of newbies who will do all manner of things that you don't expect. You will also meet experienced players- like me- who have upgraded tanks with sixth sense, camo and other skills on their crews.

I have only played tier II in more recent times when my younger son started playing WoT. I mostly used the Tetrarch, which was my recollection, reflected in the number of games I have in it.

I only have tier II Premium gift tanks now, after the new player protection kicked in. My last regular tier II was the amazing T57 SPG. The moment that was swapped for the T1 HMC, my tier II regular vehicle days were over. I played the Mk VIC with the Crusader crew, but since the Crusader has been changed to a medium tank, I have never taken the Mk VIC out even once.

I have seven tier III vehicles now. Three are Premium gift tanks. I have had some of them for a long time, but I only bought the Pz IC back when it stopped seeing tier V. It is one of my best Wn8 vehicles.

At tier IV, I have 12 vehicles and two are Premium: one a prize and one a promotional reward. My pride and joy is the Ke-Ho which has the highest Wn8 of any of my vehicles other than a few with one or two battles.

The Alecto has the highest tier IV win rate and the second highest win rate of all of my well-played tank.

View PostOllieCromwell, on 28 March 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

Even 'git gud' won't work on the low tiers unless  you have a ridiculously OP tank.

insanity is right. Its just an incredible mess. 

Tank imbalance, damage to HP ratio as mentioned, seal clubbing etc. 

Crazy thing is some of crews at low tiers aren't too bad. I have Charlotte Wells in the tier 4 Italian medium for example. It doesn't matter, when you get yolo'd by a Luchs or even a Leopard for example, and you certainly don't have the mobility to run away. 

I do wonder if the problems people moan about at higher tiers is quite simply the result of the utter shambles that exists at low tiers. 

krazypenguin #6 Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

Major

• Player
  • 27682 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Yup, tiers 2 and 3 are a bloodbath for players starting from scratch.

I decided to grind some of the newer lines I have never played this weekend so I have been playing the Czech, Polish, Swiss and Italian lines, starting at tier 1.  I elited all the tier 1 tanks in just one battle.  Then the fun started.  I retrained\bought crews for 20,000 credits each, because it's just not worth the cost in gold, so they all became basically rubbish.  So that's an 80% odd crew in a stock tier 2.  If you haven't done that recently try it - it's painful, but a good reminder of what new players go through.  

Now put that bad crew in their bad tank up against a player with a 200 or 300% crew in a fully pimped out BT-2 or M2 Light Tank, etc...  you have virtually zero chance.  They can do everything much faster than you - they will get into the good spots more quickly, they will spot you first, they can aim faster and then fire and reload more quickly.  Add in the odd DERP gun and yeah, it really stucks.  

Then you get to tier 3 and it's even worse.  Your crew get retrained down AGAIN, your new tank is stock AGAIN, and there are even more experienced players.  

I've got one of the lines to tier 4 now - the other 3 should only need 1 good win or maybe a few losses and then they are done too.  At that point I shall park all 4 tanks until I can sort out the crews (i.e. wait for 50% discount on training) - and I may burn free XP (got 75k) to get the best modules.  It's just not worth playing stock tanks with stock crews.

gunslingerXXX #7 Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:39 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12316 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

View PostNoo_Noo, on 28 March 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

LOL

I actually save free xp to skip low tiers... I'd rather play stock tanks in tier 5-9 than that low tier noob/statpadder mess 

Noo_Noo #8 Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:47 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22560 battles

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 28 March 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

LOL

I actually save free xp to skip low tiers... I'd rather play stock tanks in tier 5-9 than that low tier noob/statpadder mess 

Might be worth doing but I had gone in with the idea that I could within reason actually grind the low tier stuff and save the Free XP for modules at higher tiers. What I'm finding is an utter sh** storm. 

Honestly its impossible for players to learn anything at that level, most of the time I bet they cant even figure why something ripped them a new one. 

Even the premium ammo spam at Tier 2, 3 and 4 is hilarious. 

Jumping_Turtle #9 Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:49 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 66700 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

When you pick the right tanks it is pretty easy.

I have done two referrals over the last weeks and finished one with 62.43% and the other wiht 66.34%. Both a little over 300 battles to finish the program.

Did one with the Minimaus (Pz38H and the other with the M2 light and the M2 medium)

So also had new crews but it was easy as walking in the park.

gpalsson #10 Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

General

• Player
  • 24508 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postkrazypenguin, on 28 March 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

I decided to grind some of the newer lines I have never played this weekend so I have been playing the Czech, Polish, Swiss and Italian lines, starting at tier 1.  I elited all the tier 1 tanks in just one battle.  Then the fun started.  I retrained\bought crews for 20,000 credits each, because it's just not worth the cost in gold, so they all became basically rubbish.  So that's an 80% odd crew in a stock tier 2.  If you haven't done that recently try it - it's painful, but a good reminder of what new players go through.  

Now put that bad crew in their bad tank up against a player with a 200 or 300% crew in a fully pimped out BT-2 or M2 Light Tank, etc...  you have virtually zero chance.  They can do everything much faster than you - they will get into the good spots more quickly, they will spot you first, they can aim faster and then fire and reload more quickly.  Add in the odd DERP gun and yeah, it really stucks.  

Then you get to tier 3 and it's even worse.  Your crew get retrained down AGAIN, your new tank is stock AGAIN, and there are even more experienced players.  

I've got one of the lines to tier 4 now - the other 3 should only need 1 good win or maybe a few losses and then they are done too.  At that point I shall park all 4 tanks until I can sort out the crews (i.e. wait for 50% discount on training) - and I may burn free XP (got 75k) to get the best modules.  It's just not worth playing stock tanks with stock crews.

Because of how crew training works and the painful shitshow in lower tiers, I think it is actually worst spending free exp to get through tier 1-4 without ever playing the tank. It will cost maybe 35-40k free exp, but you start at tier 5, and you won't have to retrain terrible crews to 75% each time. When you reach tier 5 you can put on an exp booster and get the most important modules in very few battles. Since you haven't wasted money buying the previous tanks and modules you can allow yourself full gold loadout at least until you get the best gun. Then you will have a terrible time in tier 5 for about 20 battles and you can FINLYL get some resemblance of gameplay in tier 6. Sadly, some of the most idiotic maps are now no longer reserved for very low tiers as I learned recently. mittengarden or whatever it's called and the other tiny shitty map that makes ensk feel big.

I don't know why they have left wot low tiers in such garbage state.

It's one of the things that surprised me a lot when I came back after 2 years off wot. Lower tiers somehow got even more retarded than before. :amazed::amazed:

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 28 March 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

When you pick the right tanks it is pretty easy.

I have done two referrals over the last weeks and finished one with 62.43% and the other wiht 66.34%. Both a little over 300 battles to finish the program.

Did one with the Minimaus (Pz38H and the other with the M2 light and the M2 medium)

So also had new crews but it was easy as walking in the park.

Well for one it's not always you can pick tanks if you are grinding a line, and if you aren't grinding a line it's not so much about it being hard as it is about it being trash.

Edited by gpalsson, 28 March 2019 - 02:52 PM.

_Maginot40 #11 Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1376 battles
  • [-I19-] -I19-
On my main account i only play T7+ (mostly 9) and i cant play t5 or lower. i suck on it.

gunslingerXXX #12 Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:53 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12316 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

View PostNoo_Noo, on 28 March 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

Might be worth doing but I had gone in with the idea that I could within reason actually grind the low tier stuff and save the Free XP for modules at higher tiers. What I'm finding is an utter sh** storm. 

Honestly its impossible for players to learn anything at that level, most of the time I bet they cant even figure why something ripped them a new one. 

Even the premium ammo spam at Tier 2, 3 and 4 is hilarious. 

fully agree.

Sometimes I try to play some low tiers at x3 or x5 events to save some free xp.... but than I decide my sanity is worth more than my free xp :teethhappy:

Also, don't bother with training crews. It's often better to put a decent crew in without retraining. BIA and stuff help out here, just pick a crew in the same tank category (often lights) and your fine.

Balc0ra #13 Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 70505 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Lower tiers are more fast-paced and unpredictable due to new players not using "known" tactics. And you need to react faster vs a slower paced tier 8 game. And even harder to carry due to all the chaos at times. Thus doing your own HP there is not always gonna cut it vs higher tiers. If I did that in most of my tier 3's, or even the Luchs. I suspect I my WR would be way-way lower. And that's mostly a factor why I skip to tier 5 or 6 when a new line comes of late. 

The wise words of Marky mark works on tier 8. But def not on tier 2 and 3.

Spoiler

View PostNoo_Noo, on 28 March 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

WG has done a few things over the years to try and fix that. Even removed the one thing that did kinda work. As maps is a huge factor too. Mines tbh don't work too well on low tiers. It should be a mid-tier map. Ensk kinda did back in the day as a tier 2 map. Mittendgard and the old Province did def not learn them anything. And ofc the players they face. As we had the new player protection at one point. Why that was removed? Idk. But then new players faced just new players on tier 1 to 3. But not on or when facing tier 4+. Then they all did learn their own way. Vs by getting smacked by vets constantly. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 28 March 2019 - 02:54 PM.

Jumping_Turtle #14 Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:54 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 66700 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View Postgpalsson, on 28 March 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

4) 6th sense. Trash low tier crew are missing this.

All new players do get one crew with sixth sense though.

Zer0RNG #15 Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:12 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9297 battles
  • [L4FAM] L4FAM

well try to play KV-2... is so fun :))

Edited by Zer0RNG, 28 March 2019 - 03:12 PM.

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:14 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 28155 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

You'll find T8 easier because you have some hp to play with, generally have the same view range as T9 and T10 plus the battles at that stage tend to conform to some level of predictability as to where the various tank classes tend to distribute so it's a case of if you have tank X, you go to location Y to where you expect to encounter and fight tank Z. But at lower tiers that all goes out the window, it's wild, unpredictable, illogical, baffling gameplay where all the tank only have a little bit of hp, many can 1 shot or 2 shot each other and if you don't conserve your hp your gone fast but equally if you don't hit the battle hard and fast you can find yourself alone vs 12 tanks in literally seconds.

T3 is somewhat balanced probably at least in the sense of MM being limited to +-1 tier but once you hit tier4 you get the ol vs +2 tiers every battle treatment which is pretty damn God awful since T4 tanks are all blind I think, T5 is plenty blind, T6 Russian heavies are still blind even at T6 and beyond, IS3 is still blind at T8 but what that means is you still have the tiny hp but now you are facing tanks, padding tanks, premium tanks with multi skilled crew in your sad little weak tank and they are spotting you and taking you out in 1 or 2 shots. Even if you manage to spot them your tank is probably SO bad that it just won't even land a shot on it before you are quickly killed and if you do land, probably won't pen. All in all, a struggle.

DeadLecter #17 Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30313 battles
I can't play lower tiers either. There is too much insanity there. Player driving around shooting at 70 kph. It's a total mess. Some people have fun in there, I don't. I prefer T8 and up. Depending on the tank I can deal damage at least equal to my own HP or sometimes 1.8 times my own HP on average. T9 is the my favorite and T10 is little bit meh. I don't really like it that much anymore. I am not that good at T10 either.

gpalsson #18 Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

General

• Player
  • 24508 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 28 March 2019 - 01:54 PM, said:

All new players do get one crew with sixth sense though.

It's not at allenough though.

Edited by gpalsson, 28 March 2019 - 05:09 PM.

NoobySkooby #19 Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16150 battles

View Postkrazypenguin, on 28 March 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

The entire game is a blood bath, tier 4's meet tier 6's ffs, no matter what tier you play, game is no joy, the guns at low tiers are so pew pew you HAVE to use premiums special gold whatever the [edited]it is.

Slyspy #20 Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14511 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

At low tiers the gameplay is even more chaotic and the guns more powerful relative to armour and hp than is typical at higher tiers. Play carefully and use your game knowledge, easier said than done of course! 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users