module damage

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Razzupaltuff #1 Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:20 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 43132 battles
  • [-IFZ-] -IFZ-

I was always wondering why I couldn't fix all module damage with a big repair kit when it was apparent that several modules had been damaged, but only let's say the damage for the first module had been announced.

You all know this situation: You get a bad arty hit, your tracks break, your engine breaks, your ammo rack breaks. Logically, this all happens simultaneously and instantly as a result of the damaging shell impact. The first announcement (as unreasonable as it is) is always the track damage. Now as soon as you hear that you are using a big repair kit to fix the tracks, expecting to get all other modules that have been damaged fixed as well. But that doesn't happen, because for some dumb reason that damage only gets registered for being available for repair after the in-game speaker has announced it.

If you ask me, that's a very stupid way to implement this. Instead of flagging all module damage at once and allowing the affected modules to getting all fixed together, you need to wait until all damage has been announced. Why not flag all damage instantaneously and queue the corresponding messages, allowing you to quickly fix everything as soon as you activate the big repair kit?

Imo that design / implementation has no reasonable grounds in gameplay or "realism" (or you shouldn't be able fix any module damage in an ongoing match anyway). 

ederfe #2 Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16383 battles
I am a cheap bastard ( using mainly small kits ) but symphatize.

AliceUnchained #3 Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:34 PM

General

• Player
  • 38974 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostRazzupaltuff, on 29 March 2019 - 10:20 PM, said:

Imo that design / implementation has no reasonable grounds in gameplay or "realism" (or you shouldn't be able fix any module damage in an ongoing match anyway). 

How so? Would the crew instantly know every bit of damage on a hit? Or would they perhaps come to know about it in several phases? And here the realism card really should not be played...

I also have no idea what you're talking about as whenever I hit the button for the premium repair kit, everything gets fixed.

Dorander #4 Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 19620 battles

Unless something has suddenly changed in the last few weeks, module damage is simultaneous with the shell damage and there's no sequence depending on audio for what is broken. So if you use a large repair kit after your tracks are broken, everything ought to be fixed.

You are either not using a large repair kit, or got hit right again after using it by a second shell that caused more module damage. Alternatively you are running some really odd mod.

nc30_guy #5 Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24952 battles
I have a feeling that modules were adjusted when they made consumables re-usable and the fact I played 7 battles last night and got damaged engine and ammo rack in all by the first hit I received and in general I noticed I have to use far more repair kits than I used to.

Razzupaltuff #6 Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 43132 battles
  • [-IFZ-] -IFZ-

View PostAliceUnchained, on 29 March 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

How so? Would the crew instantly know every bit of damage on a hit? Or would they perhaps come to know about it in several phases? And here the realism card really should not be played...

I also have no idea what you're talking about as whenever I hit the button for the premium repair kit, everything gets fixed.

I was waiting for the "realism" argument. So you think it's realistic to have a big package in your tank that fixes your tank with a key press? Aaaaal-right.

View PostDorander, on 29 March 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

Unless something has suddenly changed in the last few weeks, module damage is simultaneous with the shell damage and there's no sequence depending on audio for what is broken. So if you use a large repair kit after your tracks are broken, everything ought to be fixed.

You are either not using a large repair kit, or got hit right again after using it by a second shell that caused more module damage. Alternatively you are running some really odd mod.

Sorry dude, but you are wrong on this. Once I got the suspicion, I started to observe this behaviour until I was sure about it.

Dorander #7 Posted 30 March 2019 - 12:32 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 19620 battles

View PostRazzupaltuff, on 29 March 2019 - 10:37 PM, said:

Sorry dude, but you are wrong on this. Once I got the suspicion, I started to observe this behaviour until I was sure about it.

Any chance for a replay?

Balc0ra #8 Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:33 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 69705 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostRazzupaltuff, on 29 March 2019 - 11:37 PM, said:

I was waiting for the "realism" argument. So you think it's realistic to have a big package in your tank that fixes your tank with a key press? Aaaaal-right.

Well.. I'm with Alice on this one. I can't say I've noticed modules "lagging" vs announcement and repair. I have small and large on many slow HT and TD's like the T95. Large is on the middle mouse button. I get smacked. I look down on the damage panel to see what got hit, and then I press 5 or the middle mouse depending on what or how much got it, or if I'm in danger or not to even use it. I don't press it instantly before I know what's wrong by sound alone.

And I can't say I've seen that delay, unless... you get smacked again half a second later that hits something. If you are hit, you are hit and it's all shown before you can react, and fixed just as fast again. So I have no idea what you are on about either tbh.

Razzupaltuff #9 Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:44 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 43132 battles
  • [-IFZ-] -IFZ-

View PostBalc0ra, on 30 March 2019 - 12:33 AM, said:

Well.. I'm with Alice on this one. I can't say I've noticed modules "lagging" vs announcement and repair. I have small and large on many slow HT and TD's like the T95. Large is on the middle mouse button. I get smacked. I look down on the damage panel to see what got hit, and then I press 5 or the middle mouse depending on what or how much got it, or if I'm in danger or not to even use it. I don't press it instantly before I know what's wrong by sound alone.

And I can't say I've seen that delay, unless... you get smacked again half a second later that hits something. If you are hit, you are hit and it's all shown before you can react, and fixed just as fast again. So I have no idea what you are on about either tbh.

I got hit once, several modules got damaged, I fixed right after I heard the track damage sound, other modules didn't get fixed. I know this for sure. I had repeated instances of my tracks and my ammo rack getting damaged, and I used the large repair kit immediately after hearing the track damage message, only to learn right after that that my ammo rack had gotten damaged too and I had used my large rep kit too early, because the ammo rack kept being damaged. And again: No, I did not get hit multiple times, one before and one after using the large rep kit. And yes, it was a large rep kit (I have these on all my tier X tanks). I am dead sure of this because it happened to me multiple times, upset me multiple times, and I had a hard time learning to wait with repairs until no more audio cues were coming in. It's like the system applies damage to one module, starting with tracks (probably in the sequence the damage occurs, outside first), plays the corresponding audio cue, then applies damage to the next module, plays audio cue, and so on.

@Dorander: No, I don't have replays. Of course I have a ton of replays sitting on my HD, but there is no way I'd sift through them to find instances of such occurrences. That does not mean it didn't happen. I think it should be obvious that my post was meant as a feedback for the game devs and not for discussion. Dunno whether the game devs every get to see this feedback, but if they do they know best whether I am right or wrong, no speculation needed. Right now I believe that I am right. Right now it looks like all module damage is marked tentatively, but is only applied one by one as its audio cue has been played (at least as repair is concerned). But you know what you could do: You could try to observe this behaviour too, and when you have received multiple module damage on a tank with a large repair kit, fix the damage right after the track damage audio and see whether I am right or wrong. In such a case, you could provide a replay. I will try to do the same.

Edited by Razzupaltuff, 30 March 2019 - 01:58 AM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #10 Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:53 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 32037 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostRazzupaltuff, on 30 March 2019 - 01:44 AM, said:.

@Dorander: No, I don't have replays. Of course I have a ton of replays sitting on my HD, but there is no way I'd sift through them to find instances of such occurrences. That does not mean it didn't happen. I think it should be obvious that my post was meant as a feedback for the game devs and not for discussion. 

It does mean it doesn't happen because that's not how the big repair kit works, it fixes everything instantly. So unless you've got some supporting proof you're either using some mod that is messing up your game, using a small repair kit by mistake or your tank is on fire so you take module damage after the initial repair while it still burns. 

Edited by NUKLEAR_SLUG, 30 March 2019 - 08:54 AM.

AliceUnchained #11 Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:22 AM

General

• Player
  • 38974 battles
  • [322] 322

No, the exact opposite actually. You need to take a course in comprehensive reading, and soon. It also baffles me that you're seemingly oblivious to the fact you played the realism card first. Here, let me quote your post once more. It was written so long ago, you may have forgotten all about it:

View PostRazzupaltuff, on 29 March 2019 - 10:20 PM, said:

If you ask me, that's a very stupid way to implement this. Instead of flagging all module damage at once and allowing the affected modules to getting all fixed together, you need to wait until all damage has been announced. Why not flag all damage instantaneously and queue the corresponding messages, allowing you to quickly fix everything as soon as you activate the big repair kit?

You seem to suggest here that the current implementation lacks realism, or that the current implementation is motivated by some realism (which then is just some made up assumption on your part), or perhaps that your proposed change would. The latter makes less sense however. Regardless, having repair kits for instant repairs has nothing to do with realism in the first place thus whatever point you're trying to make concerning the existing implementation becomes moot. 

Most importantly though, what you seem to experience, myself and others do not. Which would strongly suggest some issue on your end, possibly (if not likely) MOD related or a lack of understanding basic game mechanics. Several explanations have been given already, all of them plausible. 

It would then have been a trivial task to mark some replays showing this exact behavior, but alas... And without replays, do you honestly believe developers have any use for your "feedback"?

View PostRazzupaltuff, on 30 March 2019 - 01:44 AM, said:

That does not mean it didn't happen. I think it should be obvious that my post was meant as a feedback for the game devs and not for discussion. 

As we only have your word for it, and thus far you seem to be the only one experiencing this (or believing that you do) I shall remain skeptical. Provide tangible proof and I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong. Until then, I will stick with the 'you are wrong' and 'replay or it did not happen' crowd.

Also, this is the game forum for players to discuss, and you posted this in the gameplay section. If you meant to provide "feedback" to the developers and not to get a discussion going, you really posted this in the wrong section. Furthermore, what you've written is basically useless to the developers without supporting replays.

Edited by AliceUnchained, 30 March 2019 - 10:31 AM.

unhappy_bunny #12 Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:58 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19256 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostRazzupaltuff, on 30 March 2019 - 12:44 AM, said:

I got hit once, several modules got damaged, I fixed right after I heard the track damage sound, other modules didn't get fixed. I know this for sure. I had repeated instances of my tracks and my ammo rack getting damaged, and I used the large repair kit immediately after hearing the track damage message, only to learn right after that that my ammo rack had gotten damaged too and I had used my large rep kit too early, because the ammo rack kept being damaged. And again: No, I did not get hit multiple times, one before and one after using the large rep kit. And yes, it was a large rep kit (I have these on all my tier X tanks). I am dead sure of this because it happened to me multiple times, upset me multiple times, and I had a hard time learning to wait with repairs until no more audio cues were coming in. It's like the system applies damage to one module, starting with tracks (probably in the sequence the damage occurs, outside first), plays the corresponding audio cue, then applies damage to the next module, plays audio cue, and so on.

@Dorander: No, I don't have replays. Of course I have a ton of replays sitting on my HD, but there is no way I'd sift through them to find instances of such occurrences. That does not mean it didn't happen. I think it should be obvious that my post was meant as a feedback for the game devs and not for discussion. Dunno whether the game devs every get to see this feedback, but if they do they know best whether I am right or wrong, no speculation needed. Right now I believe that I am right. Right now it looks like all module damage is marked tentatively, but is only applied one by one as its audio cue has been played (at least as repair is concerned). But you know what you could do: You could try to observe this behaviour too, and when you have received multiple module damage on a tank with a large repair kit, fix the damage right after the track damage audio and see whether I am right or wrong. In such a case, you could provide a replay. I will try to do the same.

So you post on a general gameplay discussion section of the forum and then claim you did not post for the forum to discuss, but rather as feedback to the devs. Why not use the feedback section of the forum in that case?

So far your post and description of the problem is like posting on your facebook page and saying "I'm in pain. Can you fix it for me?" and expecting your doctor to read it and diagnose and treat the problem from that. 

Dorander #13 Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:08 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 19620 battles

View PostRazzupaltuff, on 30 March 2019 - 12:44 AM, said:

You're happy to discuss the matter, including informing me that I am wrong, right until the point where I ask you for any tangible evidence for a situation you claim you have been actively paying attention to, after which you then suggest I provide the evidence for your claims instead?

How about no.

S1dew1nder #14 Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:52 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4508 battles
this has happened to me too but i went and watched the replay back and realized id just missed the audio cue that id been light up, so what actually happened was id been shot lit up fired my gun at almost the same time as the audio cue misse it heard my tracks are damaged use repair kit fix damage one tick off fire damaged then fire goes out then i start to move and think why is my tank so sluggish look at repair panel things are still broken look at repair kit its on cool down and think game must be broke lol 

AliceUnchained #15 Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

General

• Player
  • 38974 battles
  • [322] 322

In other words, confirmation bias. And without any actual recorded occurrences, just in your head... Commonly known as bupkiss.

Also tagged with module damage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users