All we ever do here is bicker about game balance... (and avatars, apparently)

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

PervyPastryPuffer #1 Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:15 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 32704 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Why is that? Ain't there nothing else to do?

Seemingly not...the occasional funny replay pops up, maybe a question about the game (tip or advice request), but that's pretty much it.

Has it always been like this?

There wouldn't be nearly as many threads or posts if people wouldn't discuss/rant about "OP premiums" or "goldspam" and "arta"...is that a good or a bad thing?

Edited by PervyPastryPuffer, 31 March 2019 - 10:26 PM.

lnfernaI #2 Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:17 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 30856 battles

It's not ranting,80% of times cases* it's just complaining about ''things that do not cater to me,therefore I want them changed''.

And it has been that way for....................... *counts*....................... about 5 years. Yep.

Edited by lnfernaI, 31 March 2019 - 02:17 AM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #3 Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:02 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 53200 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
  • 99.999% of the good players who happen to be good posters too don't post anymore. They just lurk around the forums like ghosts late night or early morning but rarely post anymore.
  • 99.999% of the worthy topics have been discussed to death throughout the years. What's left is the kind of superficial stuff that people usually fight over like lace doilies vs. runners or which pelmeni recipe is best, etc.

So what happens most of the time is "funny" people fighting over "funny" things, and i wouldn't describe those things as balance, with the occasional good question or good idea popping up. I made my peace with cats and ponies! :)

kaneloon #4 Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:48 AM

Major

• Player
  • 29937 battles
  • [FR2DB] FR2DB
You have to learn german. They have lots of interesting threads well written and full of information, you will like them.

Obsessive_Compulsive #5 Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:54 AM

General

• Player
  • 28622 battles

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 31 March 2019 - 02:15 AM, said:

Seemingly not...the occasional funny replay pops up, maybe a question about the game (tip or advice request), but that's pretty much it.

There wouldn't be nearly as many threads or posts if people wouldn't discuss/rant about "OP premiums" or "goldspam" and "arta"...is that a good or a bad thing?

View PostlnfernaI, on 31 March 2019 - 02:17 AM, said:

It's not ranting,80% of times cases* it's just complaining about ''things that do not cater to me,therefore I want them changed''.

And it has been that way for....................... *counts*....................... about 5 years. Yep.

I would rather discuss the little girl avatars and what they mean. I feel thats more important.

lnfernaI #6 Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 30856 battles

View PostObsessive_Compulsive, on 31 March 2019 - 08:54 AM, said:

I would rather discuss the little girl avatars and what they mean. I feel thats more important.

I think not.

Jigabachi #7 Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:28 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

We always had a lot of threads about balance - and that is to be expected. Not only because there is and always was a lot of things to discuss in this game, but also because that's the point of a forum like this and one of the major reasons why people end up here. I also came here asking why my tank doesn't do what I expected it to do and if that is how the game is supposed to work.

However, there was a lot "more" back then. Ideas, suggestions, people showing this and that. It's also to be expected that those kinds of things will die off a bit over the years, but there was quite the big change when the direction of the game became more and more apparent. Lots of the "old guys" left and you got more and more negativity.

But to name two positive things at least: The whole cheetah/haxxor/rigging crap happens a lot less now and the moderation improved quite a bit, almost reaching far below average quality by now, so that trolls don't turn the whole forum into a mess anymore.

Obsessive_Compulsive #8 Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:38 AM

General

• Player
  • 28622 battles

View PostlnfernaI, on 31 March 2019 - 08:24 AM, said:

I think not. Therefore I am not....

Element6 #9 Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30854 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

It seldom matters how good or interesting a discussion is as it never gets anywhere beyond having people agree/disagree at various points on the topic. Any change that might manifest itself seem to always be a comprimise between these opinions, rendering nobody completely satisfied.

You could probably have 100% of the forum agree that SPGs and Jap HTs should be removed without the need for the slightest compensation, and it still wouldn't happen.

Edited by Element6, 31 March 2019 - 10:52 AM.

Zoltan1251 #10 Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13052 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
So many threads about how people have feelings for the game and WG is forcing them to stop and its all feels and crying and sad... bla bla bla bla bla bla

lets take a look at OTHER GAMES: if a gun/hero, whatever, is not powerful enough, people just stop playing them and start playing OP gun/hero etc

Why are people this butthurt because one tank is less powerful is beyond me, just play something else, its not like WG isnt letting you... i mean yes, it take some time to grind but usually casual players have more fun than people with tens of thousands of games and several tier 10s

TPpie #11 Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:45 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16230 battles

View PostObsessive_Compulsive, on 31 March 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

Excuse you. This is privileged information. Classified on basis of National Security.

In regards to venting about Game balance, I have a mostly cripplingly depressive content disposition about things so it (both game balance and the venting) so it doesn't bother me as much , though I am not completely immune from it.

albeit on occasion someone tends to say something stupid on here and I get a modest giggle from it.

Spoiler

Edited by TPpie, 31 March 2019 - 10:46 AM.

Obsessive_Compulsive #12 Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:05 AM

General

• Player
  • 28622 battles

View PostTPpie, on 31 March 2019 - 10:45 AM, said:

Excuse you. This is privileged information. Classified on basis of National Security.

1st rule of Glitter club is never talk about Glitter club?

Laur_Balaur_XD #13 Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:06 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37100 battles
  • [FUSED] FUSED

View PostObsessive_Compulsive, on 31 March 2019 - 06:54 AM, said:

My little girl is no little girl, she is a legal loli. Sure she is flat as a board but who cares? Flat is justice! :izmena:

Dorander #14 Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:08 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 19620 battles

View PostZoltan1251, on 31 March 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

So many threads about how people have feelings for the game and WG is forcing them to stop and its all feels and crying and sad... bla bla bla bla bla bla

lets take a look at OTHER GAMES: if a gun/hero, whatever, is not powerful enough, people just stop playing them and start playing OP gun/hero etc

Why are people this butthurt because one tank is less powerful is beyond me, just play something else, its not like WG isnt letting you... i mean yes, it take some time to grind but usually casual players have more fun than people with tens of thousands of games and several tier 10s

If people could simply select another tank to play right away, I suspect they wouldn't be nearly so upset about imbalance. They might not like it that their personal favourite isn't competitive, but that doesn't preclude them from being competitive without first spending a lot of hours getting that new competitive tank/hero/whatever.

The problem is that there's a huge difference with how the game is presented and how the game actually functions. What is presented to us is a slate of many tanks which are divided by nations and by tiers, of which the tiers act as an indication of its power and nation acts as an indication of overall kind of design. That last one got diluted over the years, turning nation into little more than a bumper sticker in many cases, but for some lines (such as the small nations) this still applies. So as it is presented, a user can expect that if they pick a nation (or a tech tree line specifically) they get a certain style of gameplay, and that per tier these tanks are of comparable power to tanks of equal tier.

What they get is a total balance mess where tanks per tier perform amazingly differently in practice and the "balance" is found in a system of output values (win percentages) that depends on a lot of random factors they don't get to have any say in (team composition, matchmaking etc.) and once they've progressed along a line and find out that various tanks in those lines are simply useless compared to whatever's OP for that tier, they can't go back and change it. They have to start all over again. That time and effort isn't invested (as that'd imply the possibility for some kind of "return" ), but it is spent, gone. The carrots of progress and the capstone reward turn rotten as progress becomes a slog or the tier X tank turns out to be the tier's whipping boy.

Consequently we're working in a system in which feels punishing as frequently as it does rewarding. People weigh victory differently but nobody likes to lose all the time and nobody likes to feel useless on the battlefield all the time. If you present a group of random people with the simple option of choosing between winning or losing (with no other contextual information or reward) most people will pick "winning", because that idea comes with the good feels. By the time you figure out which tanks are the winning ones, or at least let you win frequently enough to your own desire, you'll have slogged through a heap of trash that turned you and your dog into alcoholics. Because you can't just try stuff and switch at will.

Edit: Wiped out accidental smiley

Edited by Dorander, 31 March 2019 - 11:09 AM.

Sfinski #15 Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:08 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 34093 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
Well game balance is the most important thing about any game, so discussing it is given.

Obsessive_Compulsive #16 Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

General

• Player
  • 28622 battles

View PostLaur_Balaur_XD, on 31 March 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

My little girl is no little girl, she is a legal loli. Sure she is flat as a board but who cares? Flat is justice! :izmena:

Are you the president of Glitter club?

Nishi_Kinuyo #17 Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:15 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 8270 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 31 March 2019 - 02:15 AM, said:

Probably because most people frequenting the forums are unimaginative.

There's a whole bunch who claim they've seen a cheater but got nothing to back their claim up with.

The usual folks who whine about premiums/goldspam/arta/matchmaking.

And then there's a bunch of tossers who hang around for years being the know-it-alls, seen-it-alls, and basically exhausted most of their imagination when it comes to making new threads.

TPpie #18 Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:16 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16230 battles

View PostObsessive_Compulsive, on 31 March 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

1st rule of Glitter club is never talk about Glitter club?

I am not at liberty to discuss this matter - therefore I cannot confirm or deny the articles of operations of the Confederation of K-ute Girls.

You do not understand how vicious hyper-active smoll QTs can be.

View PostLaur_Balaur_XD, on 31 March 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

Spoiler

Edited by TPpie, 31 March 2019 - 11:16 AM.

Laur_Balaur_XD #19 Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37100 battles
  • [FUSED] FUSED

View PostObsessive_Compulsive, on 31 March 2019 - 10:11 AM, said:

Are you the president of Glitter club?

Nope, kinda new member. I think i missed at the meeting when they discussed not discussing about the Glitter Club....

Now i am screwed big time because i talked about it, these perverts 'men of culture' are really dangerous. :ohmy:

PervyPastryPuffer #20 Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 32704 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostObsessive_Compulsive, on 31 March 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users