Why do I only win 40% of games in the T100-LT?

T100-LT T100LT light tanks Tier X win ratio

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

thewyj #1 Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:41 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3815 battles
  • [AV0ID] AV0ID

Hi,

My win-rate in the T100-LT is only 40% and this is about 10% lower than in all my other vehicles. I've played 470ish battles in my T100-LT and I love it as a tank, but I absolutely suck at it. 

In some of the lower tiered light tanks like the Chaffe (also 470ish battles) my win rate is 55% but I feel like my play style is similar in each. Why a 15% difference?

Anyone know if the T100-LT is just a bad tank in general, or is play at Tier X just so much more competitive that I need to change my style?

Also, does this mean that as a light tank player I am so impactful in the match that I am affecting the overall outcome in 10% of the cases, making it a loss instead of win for everyone? The law of averages suggests that even if I was a really bad player, I would still win 50% of the time. 

Edited by thewyj, 31 March 2019 - 06:42 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #2 Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:49 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 8288 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
Because you're playing tiers above your skill?

kubawt112 #3 Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

Sample size is 472 battles, in case someone wondered. His T-100LT is not the only vehicle which is "cursed". 43% in the T-54LT, 44,4% in the Skorpion G (quite the achievement, honestly).

View Postthewyj, on 31 March 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

(...)

Also, does this mean that as a light tank player I am so impactful in the match that I am affecting the overall outcome in 10% of the cases, making it a loss instead of win for everyone? The law of averages suggests that even if I was a really bad player, I would still win 50% of the time. 

No, a (really) bad player will get less than 50% winrate. The 'law of averages' has done its job here.

You can obviously play some of the lower tiers pretty well, at least at a glance. I can't say for sure what you're doing wrong, but it's beyond belief that there's something.

First thing that comes to mind is that merely 'scouting' works well in a mid-tier match, while a high-tier match demands more calculated play, conserving HP, harassing and actually doing damage. That comes in addition to higher tiers generally having more 'experienced' players (not necessarily better, but higher battle count does help) with better crews - and the matchmaker likely 'highlighting' these issues. You generally have a higher impact on matches (broad strokes, larger sample sizes) because you're never 'true' bottom-tier (-2, e.g. T8 in a T10 match), and hence more often 'top' or 'mid'-tier. That's in addition to T9/10 "power levels" not being a linear step up from <T8.

I recommend posting a few replays for us to view through. I'm honestly curious.

Rati_Festa #4 Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 46761 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
The key is to survive, the longer u stay alive the more use you are to team. As you can flank when the numbers thin out, have u watched any vids of good players in it? You will probably see what you are doing wrong if you watch them.

Sowa_95 #5 Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:41 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 26679 battles
  • [1PAPD] 1PAPD
You are just not ready for tier X battles. You have only 4k battles, and 20% of it are artas. get some experience, or watch good streamers if you want to get better.

Edited by Sowa_95, 31 March 2019 - 07:46 PM.

thewyj #6 Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3815 battles
  • [AV0ID] AV0ID

@kubawt112 thanks that's helpful, you raised some things I hadn't thought of. I am probably not good at conserving HP and tend to play quite aggressively but I don't think that's the only issue. 

@Rati_Festa yea I watch some youtube videos but I don't always see what they see, I mean I don't know how they know it's safe to advance for example or which places to go to. A lot of the time they know they will win a 1:1 or have a local over-match because they recognise the types of tanks and know what attributes they have and I don't have much of that knowledge. I can just about recognise auto-loaders now and that's a big help coz it means I can run away in time. 

Sowa_95 #7 Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 26679 battles
  • [1PAPD] 1PAPD

View Postthewyj, on 31 March 2019 - 07:43 PM, said:

@kubawt112 thanks that's helpful, you raised some things I hadn't thought of. I am probably not good at conserving HP and tend to play quite aggressively but I don't think that's the only issue. 

@Rati_Festa yea I watch some youtube videos but I don't always see what they see, I mean I don't know how they know it's safe to advance for example or which places to go to. A lot of the time they know they will win a 1:1 or have a local over-match because they recognise the types of tanks and know what attributes they have and I don't have much of that knowledge. I can just about recognise auto-loaders now and that's a big help coz it means I can run away in time. 

it's ok, you are still learning. For you 4k btattles might seem a lot, but it's nothing to be honest.

Japualtah #8 Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29810 battles

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 31 March 2019 - 06:49 PM, said:

Because you're playing tiers above your skill?

By the looks of your signature and banner, you probably are still immature, but, anyways, refrain from insulting people as a general rule of thumb.

You probably thought you were outsmarting the OP here, but to anybody even relatively educated, you just came across as a jerk.

Which takes skill, in a single sentence ! :child:

kubawt112 #9 Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View Postthewyj, on 31 March 2019 - 07:43 PM, said:

I do recommend posting a few replays, in the appopiate forum section. Use the tips you get to improve your gameplay, perhaps use T7/8 as a 'stepping stone' to master the new knowledge.

Your survival rate does happen to be really terrible in most of the LTs, and you consistently deal less damage than you 'assist'.

Not being an overeager light tank is probably your best bet, as well as evaluating your own play after a match or after you get destroyed. If you notice that a particular play consistently turns out terrible, stop doing it. Don't rush to a bush unless you have a reason to do so (two quick examples: the enemy LT is dead and can't ruin your run, your team is camping a flank that you can provide vision on).

(If you wonder, I have more experience than my battle count suggests, but I'm really shy and think it's fun when people dismiss posts based solely on winrate.)

View Postjaptank, on 31 March 2019 - 07:49 PM, said:

By the looks of your signature and banner, you probably are still immature, but, anyways, refrain from insulting people as a general rule of thumb.

You probably thought you were outsmarting the OP here, but to anybody even relatively educated, you just came across as a jerk.

Expressing oneself briefly indeed takes skill. I note that used three to get your point across.

He is more than likely correct, though, even if it could be construed as a bit cross. I think you've done a good job in that department as well.

JocMeister #10 Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:24 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26039 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Hi,

My win-rate in the T100-LT is only 40% and this is about 10% lower than in all my other vehicles. I've played 470ish battles in my T100-LT and I love it as a tank, but I absolutely suck at it. 

In some of the lower tiered light tanks like the Chaffe (also 470ish battles) my win rate is 55% but I feel like my play style is similar in each. Why a 15% difference?

Anyone know if the T100-LT is just a bad tank in general, or is play at Tier X just so much more competitive that I need to change my style?

You have rushed to a tier way above your skill level. You don´t know what you are doing and your team is paying the price for it. Besides that LTs are the most skill dependent class in the game. Trying to play TX LTs after just 4k games is just a recipe for disaster. 

Drop down to lower tiers gain and learn the game before thinking about higher tiers again.

DeadLecter #11 Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28812 battles
First of all, you are playing TX which is way beyond your skill level. Don't take this as an insult. I used to be a tomato, we all have been there. Try watching youtube videos and learning more about the game, you will start improving. And unfortunately you have picked the hardest class in the game. Light tanks. As soon as you start improving your skill, you will win more battles.

gpalsson #12 Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:37 PM

General

• Player
  • 24356 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Git

250swb #13 Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:45 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 23225 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postthewyj, on 31 March 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

The law of averages suggests that even if I was a really bad player, I would still win 50% of the time. 

Unless you are actively bringing your team down, which is clearly the case. If you set off and the team expect you to do a certain job, and do it well, such as spotting or flanking, and you don't do it well then it puts extra stress on them to make up for you, diverting their attention, and each player has to take a share of your job. This can be compounded by not knowing the enemy tanks, not having skilled crews, and most of all not having experience. In addition, and the cherry on the top, is that it is far more difficult to achieve a positive number WR at high tiers because there are more skilled players facing you, so making the difference with your skill is all the harder.

In essence you have misjudged your race to tier X, the game gets harder the higher you go, it isn't just about playing tanks that make bigger bangs. And you don't 'win the game' by playing tier X, in fact many players are just going to go backwards so it isn't the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that you imagine.

Edited by 250swb, 31 March 2019 - 09:50 PM.

Jigabachi #14 Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

The law of averages suggests that even if I was a really bad player, I would still win 50% of the time.

To quote the wiki article: "Depending on context or application it can be considered a valid common-sense observation or a misunderstanding of probability."

Besides that, the reason why you lose so much is rather simple: You are a new player and you rushed up the tiers. So the first comment is right - you play above your current skilllevel.

Light tanks are difficult to play, especially at the higher tiers. Learn to play and practice some more and you'll soon win more.

Ehm... since when is telling a player that he is playing above his skilllevel (or even telling him that he is a bad player) an insult?

He could have put a bit more effort into his answer, but he is still right.

Edited by Jigabachi, 31 March 2019 - 10:15 PM.

fwhaatpiraat #15 Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53132 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Hi thewyj,

Good that you're here asking for feedback.

I see you like playing light tanks, me too. I took a look at your service record and have some points. First of all I notice you get fairly decent assistance damage, but you don't deal a lot of damage yourself and your survival rate is really really low. Way too low. I think the problem you have is rushing in with your light tank, spotting some targets and dying during those spotting runs. Is that what happens a lot? If that's the case that clearly shows why your winrate in the higher tiers is low. Surviving until the end is really important since many battles are decided in the end and the best players usually survive till the end to have (a big) impact at the end of the game. Also, the assistance damage you get at the start of the game is usually on the bad players that die at the start of the game. Even though the numbers (initial spots and assitance damage) suggest you are a positive asset of the team, I'm afraid your plays do not lead towards victory.

So what should/could you do? If I were you I would play tier 6 or tier 7 lights to learn how to spot vehicles, but at the same time learn how to not get spotted yourself and/or die in the process. If you die in the first 3 minutes of the game (or lose 90% of your hp), it means you failed at doing that. Also never be among the first 5-7 vehicles of your team to die. It means you use/waste your hp too early in the game. Be more careful then. Get in positions which give you cover. That gives you the opportunity to do more damage (and killing that crucial enemy light tank!), without taking damage in return.

Why tier 6/7 and not 9 or 10? At tier 9 and 10 there are many vehicles with the same view range or better than your light tanks. Also, better players play at higher tiers making it even harder for you and light tanks in general. Don't forget that light tanks are the hardest to play class in this game. It really requires a lot of knowledge of game mechanics, maps, matchmaking and movements on the battlefield.

Good luck!

(I'm sure there are people on the forums that wanna give some more tips if you provide some regular replays of you.)

thewyj #16 Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3815 battles
  • [AV0ID] AV0ID

Thanks to everyone for replying and I appreciate people being so blunt with me, a dose of cold hard truth is the fastest way to learn. Having read all the comments I think I will play lower tiers for a while and improve my knowledge.

@250swb - your point about me misjudging my rush to tier X is really valid and made me think. I usually play MMOs like World of Warcraft and the objective there is to reach the "end-game" as fast as possible for the epic rewards, but WOT is different. I can play at tier 5 or 6 and have just as much fun as tier X. I'm not missing out. 

Thanks everyone. 

Nishi_Kinuyo #17 Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:27 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 8288 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Other than the personal attack, I suppose that asking what needs to be asked might be considered acting like a jerk.

If someone is consistantly performing under average in high tier tanks, then maybe, just maybe, that person is trying to do something he's not ready for.

Sweeting things over isn't always an act of kindness you know.

Sometimes, the kindest thing to do is to be a jerk and say things in a harsh way to get a point across.

Solstad1069 #18 Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:38 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41844 battles

View Postthewyj, on 31 March 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

Thanks to everyone for replying and I appreciate people being so blunt with me, a dose of cold hard truth is the fastest way to learn. Having read all the comments I think I will play lower tiers for a while and improve my knowledge.

@250swb - your point about me misjudging my rush to tier X is really valid and made me think. I usually play MMOs like World of Warcraft and the objective there is to reach the "end-game" as fast as possible for the epic rewards, but WOT is different. I can play at tier 5 or 6 and have just as much fun as tier X. I'm not missing out. 

Thanks everyone. 

The mid tiers are overall a  better place to be aswell. The tanks are MUCH better balanced and the maps feels more suited for those tiers.

Edited by Solstad1069, 31 March 2019 - 10:39 PM.

kaneloon #19 Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:25 AM

Major

• Player
  • 29945 battles
  • [FR2DB] FR2DB

View PostSolstad1069, on 31 March 2019 - 09:38 PM, said:

The mid tiers are overall a  better place to be aswell. The tanks are MUCH better balanced and the maps feels more suited for those tiers.

I don't agree that playing tiers 5 or 6 will teach anything about tiers X.

Playing more tiers 8 and 9 is a more interesting option I think.

Rushing with a scout may be a bit ambitious, but as long as you have fun, why not.

rageman4u #20 Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16540 battles

View PostSolstad1069, on 31 March 2019 - 10:38 PM, said:

I agree mid tiers are more balanced and more fun.

Some tanks are strange, i have 60 percent wr with is3 150k xp grinded and with is3a i have good wr and damage. With defender i am never able to win. 

Even performing good with some tanks i keep receiving  very bad teams which it is impossible to win

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users