Jump to content


IS-3 Soviet tank in action


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

OllieCromwell #1 Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:50 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 43768 battles
  • 431
  • [GENB] GENB
  • Member since:
    02-11-2011

Stumbled onto this gem last night, just wanted to share.

 



Zmago5000 #2 Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:26 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 9260 battles
  • 349
  • Member since:
    11-24-2018

Wow!

I really wonder how would a clash of tanks (in cold war era)  between quality superior American and numericaly superior Russian go on?



Veritas_Omnia_Vincit #3 Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:44 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 38530 battles
  • 79
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
  • Member since:
    04-23-2011
:)

Evilier_than_Skeletor #4 Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:03 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 19228 battles
  • 687
  • [TSOP] TSOP
  • Member since:
    02-05-2016

View PostZmago5000, on 01 April 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

Wow!

I really wonder how would a clash of tanks (in cold war era)  between quality superior American and numericaly superior Russian go on?

There's a documentary on Netflix called Age of tanks that claims that US tanks were anything but superior going in to Korean war. That they had pretty much stopped tank development and found out the hard way age of tanks was not over. Worth a watch.



SiliconSidewinder #5 Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:23 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 28497 battles
  • 6,473
  • Member since:
    09-16-2012

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 01 April 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

There's a documentary on Netflix called Age of tanks that claims that US tanks were anything but superior going in to Korean war. That they had pretty much stopped tank development and found out the hard way age of tanks was not over. Worth a watch.

 

that's pretty much the reality, the soviets had the better stuff for a big part of the cold war.

which is why the american plan was to rollback (nice job there Wallmart)

the soviets by simply threatening them with complete nuclear anihilation.

 

 



Nishi_Kinuyo #6 Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:16 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 8385 battles
  • 5,641
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

View PostZmago5000, on 01 April 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

Wow!

I really wonder how would a clash of tanks (in cold war era)  between quality superior American and numericaly superior Russian go on?

Yeah... remember Vietnam?

Spoiler

Now imagine that, but with the murikans going up against an actual army.


Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 01 April 2019 - 05:20 PM.


jabster #7 Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:35 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • 25,346
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 01 April 2019 - 04:16 PM, said:

Yeah... remember Vietnam?

Spoiler

Now imagine that, but with the murikans going up against an actual army.

 

You mean like Russia did in Afghanistan?

Objec7 #8 Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:38 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 14738 battles
  • 531
  • Member since:
    03-25-2017

View Postjabster, on 01 April 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

 

You mean like Russia did in Afghanistan?

 

Russia is different thing than USSR, Russian economy is not doing too well while USSR were actually a super nation, first one to get to space.

jabster #9 Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:45 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • 25,346
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostObjec7, on 01 April 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

 

Russia is different thing than USSR, Russian economy is not doing too well while USSR were actually a super nation, first one to get to space.

 

Yep they had a great economy as well.

VarzA #10 Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:26 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 24889 battles
  • 1,773
  • [USAGI] USAGI
  • Member since:
    06-17-2011

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 01 April 2019 - 05:16 PM, said:

Yeah... remember Vietnam?

Spoiler

Now imagine that, but with the murikans going up against an actual army.

 

Keep in mind that the Vietnam war was not started when the US went in, it was actually started decades earlier when WW2 was starting up and the vietnamese started seeing one conqueror being replaced by another.
18:31 Added after 4 minutes

View PostOllieCromwell, on 01 April 2019 - 06:50 AM, said:

Stumbled onto this gem last night, just wanted to share.

 

 

On the right side off the the driver, slightly behind him .... were those the batteries ?

SiliconSidewinder #11 Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:29 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 28497 battles
  • 6,473
  • Member since:
    09-16-2012

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 01 April 2019 - 05:16 PM, said:

Yeah... remember Vietnam?

Spoiler

Now imagine that, but with the murikans going up against an actual army.

 

the whole story of the vietnam war is quiet long and complex and the americans kinda just stumbled into it, got tired of the stupid scenario and buggered of because they didn't care.

(I know memes are fun, but they are usually aren't about what actually happened)

 

 



Nishi_Kinuyo #12 Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:13 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 8385 battles
  • 5,641
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

View PostVarzA, on 01 April 2019 - 07:26 PM, said:

Keep in mind that the Vietnam war was not started when the US went in, it was actually started decades earlier when WW2 was starting up and the vietnamese started seeing one conqueror being replaced by another.

Oh please, I've read a biography on Bac Ho. ;)

View PostSiliconSidewinder, on 01 April 2019 - 08:29 PM, said:

the whole story of the vietnam war is quiet long and complex and the americans kinda just stumbled into it, got tired of the stupid scenario and buggered of because they didn't care.

(I know memes are fun, but they are usually aren't about what actually happened)

But yes, the memes are fun.

And the murikans mostly buggered off because they lost domestic support for continuing the war.



OllieCromwell #13 Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:05 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 43768 battles
  • 431
  • [GENB] GENB
  • Member since:
    02-11-2011

View Postjabster, on 01 April 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

 

Yep they had a great economy as well.

 

The whole 'cold war', that I grew up with, came to a grinding hold because the Soviet/U.S.S.R. economy simply couldn't afford the financial burden anymore and Mr. Gorbachev calling it quits, resulting in the period of Glasnost etc etc.

 

That said, Mr. Putin has done a good job on rebuilding the Russian economy and as such re-starting the cold-war again by rebuilding/re-arming the Armed Forces and putting some pride back into the minds of the Russian People. And of course our American allies refusing to admit that they are a global power in decline, tired of being the 'worlds policeman' ...

 



Objec7 #14 Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:30 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 14738 battles
  • 531
  • Member since:
    03-25-2017

View Postjabster, on 01 April 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

 

Yep they had a great economy as well.

 

They had better economy which only started to get worse due the endless weaponizing and when closer to the end of the Soviet union.

Zmago5000 #15 Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 9260 battles
  • 349
  • Member since:
    11-24-2018

I read in some history analisys that Soviet union basicaly had only two choices when economy was close to collapse:

-Either END the weapons race and quit counter USA,... (as actually happened with Gorbatchov)

-Either start an all out war as soon as possible and put massive arsenal at work,.. (because the situation was worsening year by year)  and hope to deal more damage than get....

 

 

 


Edited by Zmago5000, 02 April 2019 - 09:53 AM.


jabster #16 Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:54 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • 25,346
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostObjec7, on 02 April 2019 - 08:30 AM, said:

 

They had better economy which only started to get worse due the endless weaponizing and when closer to the end of the Soviet union.

 

Being 5’2” doesn’t make you tall because you could be 4’8”.

jabster #17 Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • 25,346
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostOllieCromwell, on 02 April 2019 - 08:05 AM, said:

 

The whole 'cold war', that I grew up with, came to a grinding hold because the Soviet/U.S.S.R. economy simply couldn't afford the financial burden anymore and Mr. Gorbachev calling it quits, resulting in the period of Glasnost etc etc.

 

That said, Mr. Putin has done a good job on rebuilding the Russian economy and as such re-starting the cold-war again by rebuilding/re-arming the Armed Forces and putting some pride back into the minds of the Russian People. And of course our American allies refusing to admit that they are a global power in decline, tired of being the 'worlds policeman' ...

 

 

I did go to East Berlin before the wall came down and my biggest memory was there wasn’t a lot to buy but boy was it cheap and that was at the official exchange rate and not the black market one. Oh and while walking about suddenly realising I seemed to be the only one with a personal stereo on.

 

I did almost cack myself though when going back through Checkpoint Charlie as border guard with an AK-47 came running up to me. He politely pointed out I was going towards the crossing point for Germans only.


Edited by jabster, 02 April 2019 - 12:06 PM.


SiliconSidewinder #18 Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 28497 battles
  • 6,473
  • Member since:
    09-16-2012

View PostObjec7, on 02 April 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

 

They had better economy which only started to get worse due the endless weaponizing and when closer to the end of the Soviet union.

 

I actually studied the soviet union historically and no the soviet economy never really worked.

It's one big mess of mismanagment, terrible failures, complete incompetence and exploitation offcourse.

 

the only times it worked was when it was in crisis mode, aka war, but peacetime? no, never.



Objec7 #19 Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:19 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 14738 battles
  • 531
  • Member since:
    03-25-2017

View PostSiliconSidewinder, on 03 April 2019 - 10:12 AM, said:

 

I actually studied the soviet union historically and no the soviet economy never really worked.

It's one big mess of mismanagment, terrible failures, complete incompetence and exploitation offcourse.

 

the only times it worked was when it was in crisis mode, aka war, but peacetime? no, never.

 

Compared to Russia? At least they had enough money to produce a lot weapons and to get to space.

jabster #20 Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:38 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • 25,346
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostObjec7, on 03 April 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

 

Compared to Russia? At least they had enough money to produce a lot weapons and to get to space.

 

Which doesn’t mean the economy was good. Which part of this are you finding hard to understand?




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users