Disabling Team Damage - Yay or Nay?

team damage HP TK kill killer feature update vote

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Team Damage Be Disabled? (228 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should Team Damage Be Disabled?

1. Yes (93 votes [40.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.79%

2. No (124 votes [54.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.39%

3. I don't care (11 votes [4.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

Vote Hide poll

grizly1973 #1 Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:12 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22087 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

Just what the title says.

I am really feeling as if a part of the game is being lost by seeing how WG is looking forward to disabling team damage.

Even if it's going to benefit in most situations, it doesn't feel natural and/or logical (the entire game itself doesn't feel natural and/or logical but whatever).

I will miss the days when you could teach an ally a lesson by shooting him once... or twice. I will miss killing the jerk that blocked me or pushed me around the corner in front of the enemy. I will miss the adrenaline rushes of taking clutch shots that are at risk of hitting some random ally and the following dopamine rush that comes as I see the shell fly perfectly on target and not hitting my ally, thus maintaining peace in the universe. I will miss the "Lucky" distinction you get when an enemy kills his own ally in close proximity to you and when arty does more damage to the heavy that brawls me instead of my weak medium.

However, I will NOT miss getting shot by mistake and/or shooting somebody by mistake. I will not miss getting hit by my own arty... twice. I will not miss being randomly killed at the end of the battle and getting my personal missions f-ed up because some random jerk decided to target practice on me.

It is kind of like a double-edged sword, isn't it? You like some aspects, but you dislike the very same ones when you are the victim. You have fun over it, but also nervous outbursts that wake your neighbors up late at night...

I will surely miss the ability to inflict team damage. But will you> Answer this existential question by answering the poll I made just to clarify this very issue that literally consumes me every time I think about it.

Happy tanking, fellas! :P Keep shooting'em!

Edited by grizly1973, 01 April 2019 - 09:15 PM.

cro001 #2 Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:14 PM

Major

• Player
  • 31982 battles
No, because I'm toxic and will team damage you.

grizly1973 #3 Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:16 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22087 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View Postcro001, on 01 April 2019 - 10:14 PM, said:

No, because I'm toxic and will team damage you.

That's the spirit!

XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:37 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 53200 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
One of the worst things about WOT, will be a happy day for me when they remove this crap!

KarmaMint #5 Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:42 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1529 battles
NO!

breeeze #6 Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34076 battles
  • [S4] S4
Yes, but only if WG becomes more strict with punishing physics abuse (blocking, pushing).

Dorander #7 Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:49 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 19620 battles

I have never seen team damage contribute anything positive to the game. The motivation for people to take risky shots is the chance of dealing damage to an enemy or not, not the chance of dealing damage to an enemy or an ally. If they hit an ally, the reaction typically isn't "Oh no I hit a teammate" but "Oh well, just an accident, it happens."

Meanwhile the TK tracking system is full of holes and is frequently a source of pointless griefing or outright trolling. The situation frequently gets out of hand causing the team to effectively lose two players, drastically reducing their chance of victory (or even a decent battle).

Frontline doesn't have team damage. I didn't even notice it until somebody deliberately tried to shoot me for some perceived slight and nothing happened. The consequence was that, being unable to act upon whatever perceived beef that player had with me, he had to get over it, move on and play the game, just like I went on to play the game.

Never for any second in that mode have I missed team damage, and never in any other mode has teamdamage caused a chance in my behaviour or decision-making. The only thing it has ever done is serve griefers and punish people's hissy fits and while I am no fan of hissy fits, this is a game, not an educational tool that needs to correct people's behaviour or teach them valuable lessons about real life.

Room418 #8 Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7482 battles
  • [POWX] POWX

It shoudnt be removed. Insteed of this, punishment should be more agresive. 

If this team damage is going to be removed, than devs wont allow hide behind tanks and just shot throught them. Also game wont be more compatative and realistic. Automatic system should warn player after already the 2nd shot and on 3rd should ban player as it is banning right now. Sometimes players make one shot, just to...taunt their teammates. I am one of those, who just really gets pissed off easily, if someone just shots me one time. Ofcourse, that player wins in both cases - he makes a team damage, gets all my attention and also doesnt get banned. Just one his single shot makes me responsable for everything. That player can just shot everyone once in a battle. This automatic system should be more restrictive. 

So, no, team damage shouldnt be removed, cause it make battles a lot more enjoyable and more tactical, accurate and so on. If team damage will be removed, allie artys will just shot their mates, but damages goes to only near by enemys, which doesnt seem to be fair. 

Verblonde #9 Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2552 battles
  • [FUNDB] FUNDB

Whilst I'm not normally keen on anything that 'dumbs down' the game, I reluctantly feel that removing team damage would (overall) be a minor plus - it's a bit like 'all' chat: good to have if people can be relied on not to be Richards, but the player-base has repeatedly shown that there are too many idiots who deliberately abuse such things...

baribal_80 #10 Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23837 battles
*edited*  

Edited by Jahpero, 02 April 2019 - 09:43 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

Laatikkomafia #11 Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:27 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 23006 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postbaribal_80, on 01 April 2019 - 11:14 PM, said:

*edited*  

So you think it would be fun for allies to randomly detrack you multiple times?

Or arties intentionally trying to stun you?

Or someone trying to intentionally flip you over?

Because if team damage weren't punishable, there would be enough of rear-hole players to do such things.

Chuwt #12 Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:39 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 32895 battles

Team damage is realistic (I KNOW the game is not particularly historic, but I object to moves to make it less so..more cartoony)

Removing it will just encourage those who are gits to be even more git like, those who drive the biggest tanks will be even less considerate, and it will in effect remove the only sanction for the sensible player faced with an idiot "teamate".
In addition, you will see a huge increase in team members blocking your shots and or shooting line to get the kill themselves etc etc

The system for deliberate team damage could be made far more robust without significant effect on those who have genuine accidents.

Dorander #13 Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 19620 battles

View PostLaatikkomafia, on 01 April 2019 - 09:27 PM, said:

So you think it would be fun for allies to randomly detrack you multiple times?

Or arties intentionally trying to stun you?

Or someone trying to intentionally flip you over?

Because if team damage weren't punishable, there would be enough of rear-hole players to do such things.

"Disable team damage", not "Disable the team damage punishment system".

If there's no team damage, all the things you mention are impossible and no punishment system would be needed.

SlenderMoose #14 Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 63970 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

View Postbaribal_80, on 01 April 2019 - 10:14 PM, said:

*edited*  

I'm one of those morons. I like to play way up front and I'm tired of being shot in my rear by tomato FV4005. So good riddance and yay!

You got close to 900 games in leffe arty and you have the nerve to call people morons. :child:

Signal11th #15 Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:52 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40752 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
nah needs to be kept, how can you run  "tk a tard day"  otherwise? 

Edited by Signal11th, 01 April 2019 - 10:54 PM.

Dorander #16 Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:07 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 19620 battles

View PostSlenderMoose, on 01 April 2019 - 09:46 PM, said:

I'm one of those morons. I like to play way up front and I'm tired of being shot in my rear by tomato FV4005. So good riddance and yay!

You got close to 900 games in leffe arty and you have the nerve to call people morons. :child:

So because you are tired of being shot in the rear and favour "good riddance" you are against disabling team damage?

Verblonde #17 Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:11 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2552 battles
  • [FUNDB] FUNDB

View Postbaribal_80, on 01 April 2019 - 04:14 PM, said:

*edited*  

I would be one of them, if I could see a viable alternative - I'm against it in WOWS, for example, but there the player-base seems to be less puerile, so people doing it deliberately is much less of an issue.

seXikanac #18 Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13052 battles
  • [-YU-] -YU-

View Postgrizly1973, on 01 April 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

Just what the title says.

I am really feeling as if a part of the game is being lost by seeing how WG is looking forward to disabling team damage.

Even if it's going to benefit in most situations, it doesn't feel natural and/or logical (the entire game itself doesn't feel natural and/or logical but whatever).

I will miss the days when you could teach an ally a lesson by shooting him once... or twice. I will miss killing the jerk that blocked me or pushed me around the corner in front of the enemy. I will miss the adrenaline rushes of taking clutch shots that are at risk of hitting some random ally and the following dopamine rush that comes as I see the shell fly perfectly on target and not hitting my ally, thus maintaining peace in the universe. I will miss the "Lucky" distinction you get when an enemy kills his own ally in close proximity to you and when arty does more damage to the heavy that brawls me instead of my weak medium.

However, I will NOT miss getting shot by mistake and/or shooting somebody by mistake. I will not miss getting hit by my own arty... twice. I will not miss being randomly killed at the end of the battle and getting my personal missions f-ed up because some random jerk decided to target practice on me.

It is kind of like a double-edged sword, isn't it? You like some aspects, but you dislike the very same ones when you are the victim. You have fun over it, but also nervous outbursts that wake your neighbors up late at night...

I will surely miss the ability to inflict team damage. But will you> Answer this existential question by answering the poll I made just to clarify this very issue that literally consumes me every time I think about it.

Happy tanking, fellas! :P Keep shooting'em!

I'm hoping that this was Fools day poll? The game will be too arcade if there is no team damage. I used to run one of the most popular CS servers on Balkans back in the day and we were only ones having team damage on. Guess what happened? People flocked to our server and everybody else started to turn on team damage. People don't like games without any challenge and WoT without team damage would be just plain dumb and preteen oriented game

SlenderMoose #19 Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:52 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 63970 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

View PostDorander, on 01 April 2019 - 11:07 PM, said:

So because you are tired of being shot in the rear and favour "good riddance" you are against disabling team damage?

Come back after another 1k games in KV-1... I'm not really feeling your padding hard enough to talk to me. 

Balc0ra #20 Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:13 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 69705 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Perhaps. If done right that is.

The reason why I say that is besides the mention of it in the recent 3 hour Q&A. Having seen how the Xbox version ended up when they turned TD off. If they want you dead. They don't always need the gun for it. And players there got creative. To creative. 

View Postgrizly1973, on 01 April 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

See most do team damage for a reason. And as I said how it worked on console. If they want to ruin the game for you based on something you did or said. They will. Removing team damage won't remove the physics or blocking etc. I've seen players on console push friendlies into the line of fire or over a cliff due to an argument. Or even used their Swedish TD as a lifter for his ally to flip him over and leave. Or even just rear end a Swedish TD to flip it and leave it. As there is no crush damage when doing it anymore. So it depends on what kind of BS you want to take from them. As in with the TD or without it. And tbh... I'm not to sure what I would pick. 

That and mission rigging. As with no risk of arty damageing their team mates. Platooning with 3-4 super heavies "console platoons is capped at 5, not 3". Tell them to block a target that can't push them and box it in. Your arty can now farm that target with stuns or damage with ease. As he can't go anywhere. Seen that a fair few times.

That said. I'm mostly fine with the team damage system. It gives a bit of restraint when fighting. And not full "cowboy" with no risk like console. But at the same time you have issues with friendly stuns, crush damage when helping, and platoon team damage limits that are way to high vs a lone target. If they try and fix those too. It might still work as is. If not... Then who knows. Turning it off might be better... or worse.

Also tagged with team, damage, HP, TK, kill, killer, feature, update, vote

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users