Install WoT Classic with game center, damnit

fail

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

thetoughcookie #1 Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:49 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 43335 battles

Hey WG. Was nice that you lured that game center to my computer when I wanted to try WoT Classic. 

When I delete it, because did not want to grind xp to get tanks at all, only wanted to try some certain tanks, I decided to uninstall that, and when the event is going off too.

Well.. I delete WoT Classic and Game Center. Then i noticed no launcher anymore, which I had use since 2015. Now to get launcher back, uninstall whole game and install it back from a launcher.. Why in the earth would I want to keep some game center always on background when I only play WoT and not other games? And it seems bit ugly too when launcher is quite small and nice. But no problem, seems no gaming today and one premium day for nothing again. It's so nice when you have this mentality with them you pay them and they run out even you are not using, one of the shitty things in WoT. Also same with reserves, guess how many would have them to be usable certain amount of battles instead of time..

Thanks <3

qpranger #2 Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:56 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35973 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

That launcher abomination somehow constantly messes up my router connection and I have to restart the router.

So between updates I am bypassing the launcher and starting the game directly from "WorldOfTanks.exe".

Homer_J #3 Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31180 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postthetoughcookie, on 02 April 2019 - 07:49 PM, said:

Well.. I delete WoT Classic and Game Center. Then i noticed no launcher anymore,

You chose to import your regular WoT into WGC, nobody forced you to do it.

Now embrace the future.

Dorander #4 Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:11 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 19620 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 02 April 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

You chose to import your regular WoT into WGC, nobody forced you to do it.

Now embrace the future.

I count myself lucky I saw this and went "Nope!"

Got my 3 games, uninstalled Classic (oh man, that was terrible gameplay), uninstalled launcher, all is good old.

SuedKAT #5 Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:17 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Yeah I know the feeling, I installed it on one of my older laptops and ran it from there to avoid GC messing up my proper install of WoT.

thetoughcookie #6 Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:25 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 43335 battles
Have done reinstall WoT only once this 42k games, it seem quite painless, all settings and Aslain too was very easy to install, no adjusting needed even the WoT-folder was completelly removed. Much less pain than I thought and now everything is fine again :) Took much less time than I thought, only loading took bit with max 30mb connection.

Cobra6 #7 Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:31 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16463 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Ah, I see the launcher is still as annoying and intrusive as ever :)

Cobra 6

Homer_J #8 Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31180 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCobra6, on 03 April 2019 - 06:31 AM, said:

Ah, I see the launcher is still as annoying and intrusive as ever :)

Cobra 6

The launcher is yes.

WGC is configurable just as you want it though.  You can have it only run when you want to update if that's what you desire.

250swb #9 Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:06 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 23225 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postqpranger, on 02 April 2019 - 07:56 PM, said:

That launcher abomination somehow constantly messes up my router connection

Are you sure you haven't nibbled through the cable? 

gpalsson #10 Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:12 AM

General

• Player
  • 24356 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostHomer_J, on 03 April 2019 - 07:05 AM, said:

The launcher is yes.

WGC is configurable just as you want it though.  You can have it only run when you want to update if that's what you desire.

I don't want the software to open every time I open windows.

I don't want the software to automatically update itself.

I don't want the software to close itself to tray. When I want to close something I want to to actually close. Having to find it in tray and right click is stupid.

New launcher seems more "laggy" in lack of a better word.

New launcher has a large area covered with buttons of games I give 0 fcks about.

New launcher tries to force itself on me, which automatically makes me hate it.

I know that I can configure 1 and 2, but since the new launcher gives me exactly zero benefits over the old one and in fact brings new annoyances means the new launcher can just go fck off.

Edited by gpalsson, 03 April 2019 - 08:14 AM.

Cobra6 #11 Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:21 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16463 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostHomer_J, on 03 April 2019 - 07:05 AM, said:

The launcher is yes.

The fact that you have to configure it to be less intrusive is, in itself, a problem.

Everything should be disabled by default and one should be able to easily enable what they want the launcher to do. Not the other way around.

Also, there should be no need to shackle old installations to the new launcher.

Cobra 6

Homer_J #12 Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31180 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postgpalsson, on 03 April 2019 - 07:12 AM, said:

I don't want the software to open every time I open windows.

I don't want the software to automatically update itself.

I don't want the software to close itself to tray. 

You can configure it to not do all of those things.

And you don't even need to run it to launch the game.

I don't know how what is a web browser with pretty much a static information can be laggy but it runs fine on my below minimum spec laptop, and you don't even need to use it except to update which it does a much better job of than the old luncher, you can even configure how much system resource it uses while it does the update unlike the old luncher which takes everything so you can't work while the update takes place.

07:28 Added after 4 minutes

View PostCobra6, on 03 April 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

Everything should be disabled by default 

No.  The setup most commonly wanted should be default.  Which would be full automatic.

If you want a weird option then that's up to you.

They could guide you to the options I suppose but since people couldn't even figure out to press an x if they didn't want their current games installing then I don't see what good it would do.

Cobra6 #13 Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16463 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostHomer_J, on 03 April 2019 - 07:23 AM, said:

No.  The setup most commonly wanted should be default.  Which would be full automatic.

If you want a weird option then that's up to you.

They could guide you to the options I suppose but since people couldn't even figure out to press an x if they didn't want their current games installing then I don't see what good it would do.

Indeed, the most commonly wanted is that all resources go to the game and windows is not slowed down by needless applications running in the background so the launcher should be configured by default to meet these criteria.

In other words, everything off until it's enabled.

Cobra 6

gpalsson #14 Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:49 AM

General

• Player
  • 24356 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostHomer_J, on 03 April 2019 - 07:23 AM, said:

I don't know how what is a web browser with pretty much a static information can be laggy but it runs fine on my below minimum spec laptop, and you don't even need to use it except to update which it does a much better job of than the old luncher, you can even configure how much system resource it uses while it does the update unlike the old luncher which takes everything so you can't work while the update takes place.

07:28 Added after 4 minutes

I don't know either but they somehow managed.

I'm guessing they neither you or WG made a poll so I don't know how you know that most people want a game launcher to start automatically with windows so the BS meter topped out.

DeadLecter #15 Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28812 battles
Dunno why all the hatred towards the launcher? I use it all the time and it has never caused any issues. And if you don't want it running in the background there is an option that automatically closes it after the game launches. I got and ancient PC here and I'm sure 99% of you have faster PCs than mine.

Ochso #16 Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 33923 battles
  • [ADVIC] ADVIC

Just to add a bit more tin foil to the bonnet so to speak .

Has anyone got any information as to what "Your System specification / information" is sent  by the Game centre to the WG servers on your agreeing to install it?

Pretty sure under current GDPR legislation  The type information taken has to be known.

Homer_J #17 Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:39 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31180 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCobra6, on 03 April 2019 - 07:47 AM, said:

windows is not slowed down by needless applications running in the background

Show me a system where WGC running in the background has any effect whatsoever on the game performance.

View Postgpalsson, on 03 April 2019 - 07:49 AM, said:

I don't know how you know that most people want a game launcher to start automatically with windows 

Because one of the major features is that it silently updates your game without you having to do anything.

Really you are just scrabbling at reasons not to like it because it's new, completely ignoring the fact that the launcher has been totally rewritten in the past without you even noticing.  If they had just replaced the launcher and not changed it's name we would not be having this conversation.

gpalsson #18 Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

General

• Player
  • 24356 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostHomer_J, on 03 April 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

If they had just replaced the launcher and not changed it's name we would not be having this conversation.

Yes. Yes we would. If they changed the launcher so it started with windows and didn't close properly and all the other stuff I mentioned, yes we would have this conversation.

It's very nice that you like to have a game automatically start stuff on your computer and update it whenever it likes but I and many other do not like that.

I know it can be turned off, but right now we are discussing if it should be default behavior and while I do agree default behavior should be what most people like - like you said, you seem to have some insider knowledge on what most people like. 

So do please tell me how you know that this is what most people want?

If you don't know then you can probably agree that default should be least intrusive.

Homer_J #19 Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31180 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postgpalsson, on 03 April 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

It's very nice that you like to have a game automatically start stuff on your computer and update it whenever it likes 

Ah.

I don't though. ;)

I also don't have a bunch of other stuff not relating to WG autostarting which I imagine most people do since they struggle with a simple checkbox in WGC.

Dorander #20 Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:17 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 19620 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 03 April 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

Show me a system where WGC running in the background has any effect whatsoever on the game performance.

If by "the game performance" you mean World of Tanks performance, it doesn't. Other games? Some of the strategy games I play, especially late-game, use up so many system resources of my by now seven year old PC that I want to squeeze every drop of performance possible towards gameplay, not towards background processes that I don't need.

WoT can update when I tell it to, which is when I open the launcher. Same goes for any other non-Steam game, Steam only updates its games when I'm not playing anything else which means I'm not doing anything resource-heavy. Even Windows isn't allowed to install updates unless I shut down the computer.

Luckily the old launcher can be completely disabled anyway so none of it is an actual problem, but I see no reason to have the Game Center instead. Like every developer-specific platform it's crowded with information I'm not interested in like their other products. I don't need a product that serves as a platform upon which I can install and start games, that's what Windows is for. I tolerate that Steam does it because it's a digital store, not merely an installer and most importantly, it's not developer-specific. These launchers don't serve to make things easier for us, they serve to peddle the developer's products and I don't want my computer full of programs designed to constantly remind me that there's other trash they want me to buy.

So the Game Center offers nothing I want, no improvements, and irritates me with irrelevant information. The old launcher at worst presents me with WoT-related news and WoT related advertisement which while similarly irritating is at least for a product I'm actually using. I'll pick the old launcher any day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users