Advice Better player WN8

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Runes_Of_Ragnarok #1 Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:01 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9497 battles

Good day fellow tankers!

I was checking on my stats today, and the good new is that I'm not far from 1000 WN8.

It's still under average, but given the fact that i was an absolute tomato before (black WN8 stats on some tanks), its encouraging :)

Here are my stats from Noobmeter:

https://www.noobmeter.com/player/eu/The_DarkAnathema/530504383/

And from Wot-Life

https://wot-life.com/eu/player/The_DarkAnathema-530504383/

Lets be frank: my stats are still bad. But graphs show constant progression. Now, as I regularly check my stats, I noticed that I never reached more than 1300 in WN8 from recent stats. It means that one day or another(probably in a year or two(I hope...)) I will reach about 1200-ish and stay like that.

Not that having 1200 WN8 is bad, but I still want to improve, I still want to increase my stats even if I reach 1200.

Now here's the problem: I don't think I can play any better than right now (sucks).

So I'm asking to my fellow tankers if they please can:

-Have the time and patience (and kindness) to analyse my stats

-Tell me what is wrong with them and what I could try to improve.

-Tell me how I can improve in general, what tanks I should play, what line I should grind...

-Give me tips and tricks they learnt themselves that can help me get better.

Its a lot I ask I know, and I don't really have any mean to return the favor except giving my eternal gratitude to you.

Thanks a lot and have a good day! :)

Renesco #2 Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 24974 battles
  • [SOBAD] SOBAD

The key to being a good player is staying alive as long as possible while dealing consistent amounts of damage. Being able to read the minimap is also hugely important especially if you're in a tank that can relocate easily enough. If you're not good with awareness I'd recommend Solo's mod it has a few neat map features like last known locations of tanks and a nearest tank indicator which changes colour if it's shootable or not.

Other than that I'd recommend patience in matches you're unsure of, but truth be told, with your 47-48% winrates in tanks like Skorpion G, T26E4 and AMX 13 57F nad 38% wr in IS3A you must be doing something seriously wrong somewhere.

Homer_J #3 Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31416 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostThe_DarkAnathema, on 04 April 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

-Tell me what is wrong with them 

The numbers are in the wrong order.

Take that 2nd link.  It says 1086 for the last 30 days.  Reverse the numbers and voila 6801, super unicorn.

No need to thank me.

BKatt #4 Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36572 battles

Best advice i can give you.

- Watch streamers like Quickybaby, hes good at explaining why he does what he does, and what went wrong/right.

- Dont use mods, its for peasants. You dont want to be one, right ?

Besides they make you to reliable on externals. Play the game vanilla style. The game already has alot of great features.

- Try to learn from your mistakes. Examine what you could/should have made different.

- When you find an enemy to hard to pen regularly, look it Up on tanks.gg, and try to memorize its weakspots. (You wont remember Them all at first glance. But if you look it Up every time, eventually it Will stick, and you will be Better for it).

- Minimap and awareness is key for knowing/learning when to be aggressive and when to back of.

- Dont be discouraged by your current stats. We All sucked big time when we started. It took me 10-15k battles, to even bother taking the game a tad more serious than "oh, im a scout. That means i have to rush out, spot as many enemies i can, even though my teammates cant hit any of them. And die in a blaze". Rinse repeat.

Just check your stats recents on tanks.gg or wotcharts, after every session, and see if you can find positive patterns, where a particular session panned out well, and try to recall what you did.

- Dont be afraid of making agressive plays that end up being mistakes. You will learn a thousand times more that way, than being passively camping the redline. (Unless your playing arty. Then you should go to the nearrest waterhole and go scubadiving).

- And the most important one; NEVER take advice from anyone who plays the forum, more than the game. :trollface:

Edited by BKatt, 04 April 2019 - 06:38 PM.

kubawt112 #5 Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

What helped me back in the day was tagging along with decent players, most of them found in the in-game forumites channel (password is play4fun).

Provided you can work together: Both of you get some company, he gets a meatshield and you get to learn a fair bit about tactics. Most likely you'll learn enough to realize what went wrong (sometimes it's not you) even when playing alone.

Also, post your replays for analysis and comments (there's a subsection for that), find some decent Youtubers (Taugrim is quite nice) and concentrate on playing one or two tanks. You want consistency if you want to learn something. One tank is good if you have issues surviving - since it means you'll have to wait for the tank every time. Two is good if you want to play back-to-back. Use either very different or very similar tanks to maximise learning potential. Two different tanks that still play the same areas might end up confusing.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #6 Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:23 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

View PostThe_DarkAnathema, on 04 April 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

Now here's the problem: I don't think I can play any better than right now (sucks).

Not true at all. You can and will play better once you know better and have some experience (more battles).

View PostThe_DarkAnathema, on 04 April 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

-Tell me how I can improve in general, what tanks I should play, what line I should grind...

Its a lot I ask I know, and I don't really have any mean to return the favor except giving my eternal gratitude to you.

Some thoughts on the matter...

• Stop playing tanks above tier 6 until you have some more battles.
  • Stop buying tier 8 premiums and if you need credits play them in FL.
  • FL is also a good proving ground to know what to do, when to do it and where to go. Big map with a lot of options to choose from.
  • You could watch streamers to learn a thing or two about the game especially streamers who talk about what they are doing. Can't recommend any though as i despise most of them really, maybe you could start with QB!
  • Better method IMO is to watch replays of a certain tank you want to play. Go to www.wotreplays.eu and download 3-4 good battles on each map. Start analyzing the flow, what happened? when? why? What are the good positions on this map for this tank?
  • Collect these elements one by one in your mind and try them out over the course of decent number of random battles. See what works for you and what didn't and try to improve on them.
  • It's like modeling a battle into a set of equations and conditions and it's super easy if you just pay attention to the map and what's happening on it.
  • NO grinding till you understand how the game works. Pick a few tanks you like and experiment on them till you can do at least twice your HP in damage consistently.
  • Post your replays here to analyze and see if there are better alternatives to your game play.

Runes_Of_Ragnarok #7 Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9497 battles

View PostRenesco, on 04 April 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

The key to being a good player is staying alive as long as possible while dealing consistent amounts of damage. Being able to read the minimap is also hugely important especially if you're in a tank that can relocate easily enough. If you're not good with awareness I'd recommend Solo's mod it has a few neat map features like last known locations of tanks and a nearest tank indicator which changes colour if it's shootable or not.

Other than that I'd recommend patience in matches you're unsure of, but truth be told, with your 47-48% winrates in tanks like Skorpion G, T26E4 and AMX 13 57F nad 38% wr in IS3A you must be doing something seriously wrong somewhere.

Thank you. Awareness has been my black sheep for a long time! For IS-3A its yoloing, mostly 

Runes_Of_Ragnarok #8 Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9497 battles

View PostBKatt, on 04 April 2019 - 06:36 PM, said:

Best advice i can give you.

- Watch streamers like Quickybaby, hes good at explaining why he does what he does, and what went wrong/right.

- Dont use mods, its for peasants. You dont want to be one, right ?

Besides they make you to reliable on externals. Play the game vanilla style. The game already has alot of great features.

- Try to learn from your mistakes. Examine what you could/should have made different.

- When you find an enemy to hard to pen regularly, look it Up on tanks.gg, and try to memorize its weakspots. (You wont remember Them all at first glance. But if you look it Up every time, eventually it Will stick, and you will be Better for it).

- Minimap and awareness is key for knowing/learning when to be aggressive and when to back of.

- Dont be discouraged by your current stats. We All sucked big time when we started. It took me 10-15k battles, to even bother taking the game a tad more serious than "oh, im a scout. That means i have to rush out, spot as many enemies i can, even though my teammates cant hit any of them. And die in a blaze". Rinse repeat.

Just check your stats recents on tanks.gg or wotcharts, after every session, and see if you can find positive patterns, where a particular session panned out well, and try to recall what you did.

- Dont be afraid of making agressive plays that end up being mistakes. You will learn a thousand times more that way, than being passively camping the redline. (Unless your playing arty. Then you should go to the nearrest waterhole and go scubadiving).

- And the most important one; NEVER take advice from anyone who plays the forum, more than the game. :trollface:

Watch streamers: done!

Mods: I used very... questionnable mods a long time ago when I was still the perfect tomato. Now I use XVM just to see which guy is more dangerous than others on the enemy team

Mistakes/Aggressive plays: Before ending the battle, if I did sth wrong, I take 5 minutes to analyse and not try to do the same mistake

Weakspots: took me time, but most of them are learnt now

Minimap/awareness: still a huge amount of work to do with this

Discouragement: not anymore :)

Advice: LOL :)

JocMeister #9 Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26254 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostThe_DarkAnathema, on 04 April 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

Good day fellow tankers!

I was checking on my stats today, and the good new is that I'm not far from 1000 WN8.

It's still under average, but given the fact that i was an absolute tomato before (black WN8 stats on some tanks), its encouraging :)

Here are my stats from Noobmeter:

https://www.noobmeter.com/player/eu/The_DarkAnathema/530504383/

And from Wot-Life

https://wot-life.com/eu/player/The_DarkAnathema-530504383/

Lets be frank: my stats are still bad. But graphs show constant progression. Now, as I regularly check my stats, I noticed that I never reached more than 1300 in WN8 from recent stats. It means that one day or another(probably in a year or two(I hope...)) I will reach about 1200-ish and stay like that.

Not that having 1200 WN8 is bad, but I still want to improve, I still want to increase my stats even if I reach 1200.

If you want help post your last 5 replays. Not 5 cherry picked replays but the last 5. Good and bad.

Runes_Of_Ragnarok #10 Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:47 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9497 battles

View Postkubawt112, on 04 April 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

What helped me back in the day was tagging along with decent players, most of them found in the in-game forumites channel (password is play4fun).

Provided you can work together: Both of you get some company, he gets a meatshield and you get to learn a fair bit about tactics. Most likely you'll learn enough to realize what went wrong (sometimes it's not you) even when playing alone.

Also, post your replays for analysis and comments (there's a subsection for that), find some decent Youtubers (Taugrim is quite nice) and concentrate on playing one or two tanks. You want consistency if you want to learn something. One tank is good if you have issues surviving - since it means you'll have to wait for the tank every time. Two is good if you want to play back-to-back. Use either very different or very similar tanks to maximise learning potential. Two different tanks that still play the same areas might end up confusing.

A super secret forumites channel? Count me in!

Whats tanks can you recommend me playing? Tier 6 Russian heavies appeal but I'm not sure...

18:53 Added after 6 minutes

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 04 April 2019 - 07:23 PM, said:

Not true at all. You can and will play better once you know better and have some experience (more battles).

Some thoughts on the matter...

• Stop playing tanks above tier 6 until you have some more battles.
  • Stop buying tier 8 premiums and if you need credits play them in FL.
  • FL is also a good proving ground to know what to do, when to do it and where to go. Big map with a lot of options to choose from.
  • You could watch streamers to learn a thing or two about the game especially streamers who talk about what they are doing. Can't recommend any though as i despise most of them really, maybe you could start with QB!
  • Better method IMO is to watch replays of a certain tank you want to play. Go to www.wotreplays.eu and download 3-4 good battles on each map. Start analyzing the flow, what happened? when? why? What are the good positions on this map for this tank?
  • Collect these elements one by one in your mind and try them out over the course of decent number of random battles. See what works for you and what didn't and try to improve on them.
  • It's like modeling a battle into a set of equations and conditions and it's super easy if you just pay attention to the map and what's happening on it.
  • NO grinding till you understand how the game works. Pick a few tanks you like and experiment on them till you can do at least twice your HP in damage consistently.
  • Post your replays here to analyze and see if there are better alternatives to your game play.

Playing tier 6 tanks: some people already told me that but in a more condescending way. I will definitely consider playing Tier 6 russian heavies

Tier 8 premiums: (blushes in shame)

FL: Might consider giving it another try but getting obliterated by 36000 Progettos was not really fun last time I played it

Streamers: Done!

Watch replays of certain tanks: Will do it for sure

No grinding: Man it will be tough!

Posting replays: Will definitely do it

18:53 Added after 6 minutes

View PostJocMeister, on 04 April 2019 - 07:45 PM, said:

If you want help post your last 5 replays. Not 5 cherry picked replays but the last 5. Good and bad.

Will do it right now

Runes_Of_Ragnarok #11 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9497 battles

Took me longer than expected.

Here are my 5 last replays:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4834441#mines-the_darkanathema-53tp_markowskiego

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4834451#highway-the_darkanathema-53tp_markowskiego

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4834461#el_halluf-the_darkanathema-53tp_markowskiego

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4834467#sand_river-the_darkanathema-53tp_markowskiego

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4834469#mines-the_darkanathema-53tp_markowskiego

No kidding, my last 5 replays not cherry picked, taken as they are (90% of my time goes to the 53TP)

JocMeister #12 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:35 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26254 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I wont have time to watch them all until tomorrow but I will get back to you when I have!

JocMeister #13 Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26254 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostJocMeister, on 04 April 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

I wont have time to watch them all until tomorrow but I will get back to you when I have!

I´m a pretty bad HT player so take my advice for what its worth...

- Mines, middle in the start is good but you are saved in the following 5 mins by arty completely ignoring you. Also you are very aggressive. You were alone against the 50 100, OHO, BC 12t and 430 but they ignored you for some reason only going 1vs1 all the time. You were also exposed to the WT4 and was completely in the open with your back to the arty. I honestly have no clue how you didn´t die there.  Very risky play but it worked! :) You overpeaked vs the Tiger II giving him a free shot on you. Conserve your HP. If you had waited for you could have gotten a shot for free.   Overall its not bad. But you need to work on your camera movement a bit. If you hold down the right mousebutton you can rotate the camera without moving the gun. 

-Highway, I don´t agree on going MT line as a top tier HT. Unless the enemy Defender or Patriot also go MT line you are giving them a huge advantage in the city. There is also a M44 and a FV clickerbot... When the E25 are spotted you stop in the open to shoot him. Don´t do that.. Leo is proxy spotting you all the time. Deal with him first instead of trying to hit the M10. FV and E25 pretty much farmed you and city is quickly overrun. I don´t think going city would have changed much as your team was really bad...but as top tier I think you have an obligation to try and fill your role and you didn´t get anything meaningful done on the MT line.

El-Halouf. When you are crossing you again stop in the open to shoot the 430. You are very lucky because the 430 missed and only 1 arty fired on you. Never stop in the open and especially not with 3 clickerbots in the game. You back off again but stay in the open. You missed that the 430 moved and he gets to shoot you once. Still not arty safe. How are you not getting blasted by 3 artys? You start trading with the E75 and you are not getting much done for a while. I would have moved against the T-44 and Löwe. You move forward into the open and trade a bit with the T-44. You are still not getting anything done. That shot under your ally on the Lowe...questionable. Good play against the E75. You use the camera to see what he does and get a free shot on him when he turns. GJ. You were way to passive in that game. All your damage except the first shot was done after the game was already won. If you find that you are in a position where you cant do damage then you move. The tank you are playing seem to have decent mobility. Use it.

Sand River. I don´t agree with going A-B line but its ok. You trade with the Pantera without losing damage which is nice. But you are then getting passive again. You are letting the Pantera lock you down for a long time. You AMX is suiciding and you will be alone vs Pantera, full health Patriot and LTG....you should have run as soon as the AMX started moving. Game is lost and the Pantera and LTG are moving up behind you. I would have rushed the Patriot to get some damage done. You actually did that. GJ. Unlucky with the Tiger II showing up there. Nothing you could have done in that game as your team was absolute garbage.  

I´ll watch the other 3 tomorrow. :)

Edited by JocMeister, 05 April 2019 - 04:46 AM.

Arissos #14 Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 38515 battles
  • [HACKR] HACKR

Checked them quickly. Just my two cents and wait for better players to tell more but these suggestions might be useful anyway. 

1) You seem to zoom a lot. Playing that way leaves you blind to other tanks. Be sure to zoom out to see what is happening nearby. This was a habit in all games in my opinion. Dont leave the sniper mode on and stay aware of your surroundings.

2) You show quite a bit of your side when you push a corner. In some games it did not matter, since you maybe wanted to just do some dmg. But you lose HP for nothing that way. Try to push corners in a better angle (or sidescrape), there must be some guides to that.

3) In  mines replay (north spawn) you pushed to peek a bit too soon. Enemy heavies did not necessary have time to reach that position at that point. So you took a hit for that. Bit more waiting.

4) In Highway when you pushed e25, you really did not have any real support and enemy had strong tanks in the back. Most of the time they have friends. Try to check if somebody (not arty only) can help you and keep in mind what enemy tanks might be lurking behind either forgotten or unspotted.

5) You take some shots that are unlikely to pen. Make every shot count if possible.

(I cannot follow these most of the time but as they say, don´t do as I do but as I say or something like that :) )

GL and have fun.

Pansenmann #15 Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35578 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I don't have any advice yet.

Instead I would like to ask:

What tank(s) do you want to play?

Which ones were your best moments so far?

PS: you have a flerking amount of premium tanks for that battle count. :ohmy:

_6i6_ #16 Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15136 battles
  • [A__K] A__K

View PostPansenmann, on 04 April 2019 - 10:28 PM, said:

I don't have any advice yet.

Instead I would like to ask:

What tank(s) do you want to play?

Which ones were your best moments so far?

PS: you have a flerking amount of premium tanks for that battle count. :ohmy:

yes he has 45 premiums!! damn!! thats a lot of euros spent!!(not judging though)

id also suggest not to spend more on premiums till u sort some game mechanics out:)

then u can make proper use of these premiums

Edited by _6i6_, 04 April 2019 - 09:48 PM.

xx984 #17 Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:17 PM

Major

• Player
  • 60657 battles
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL
Send me a PM in game, When i have time ill happily platoon and try to help you out, Im a fairly experienced player so i should be able to show you a thing or two! 

Solstad1069 #18 Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:34 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42331 battles

View Postxx984, on 04 April 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

Send me a PM in game, When i have time ill happily platoon and try to help you out, Im a fairly experienced player so i should be able to show you a thing or two! 

If xx984 is just as good teacher/mentor as he is playing WOT you will be green in a couple of months :) Anathema.

Baldrickk #19 Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31993 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Imho, https://www.youtube....WABrOga3edyKx8Y is the best thing to watch to pick up on what to do and why in different situations.

Get a feel for what to look for and how to approach situations based on that.

kubawt112 #20 Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostThe_DarkAnathema, on 04 April 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

A super secret forumites channel? Count me in!

Whats tanks can you recommend me playing? Tier 6 Russian heavies appeal but I'm not sure...

(...)

Don't grind more things. It's common advice to learn the game around T6. It makes sense to some extent, but less so if you generally know where to go and what to do. The learning potential is limited, and routines are different. I play mostly T8-10, and the few times I venture down the tiers it's really telling how out of touch I am. I bet the opposite will happen, too. '

(If you wonder, I have a bit more experience than this account does - it's just funny to post without the backing of a 30k-odd account with decent stats.)

I'd try to focus on the T29 and the 252U Defender, if you enjoy playing heavy tanks. Both are strong tanks that should be fairly simple to play. If you get wrecked playing them, it's probably not because the tank's bad. Don't sell your T110E5 even if you borrow the crew.

(E.g. the T29 should always go hulldown, hide the hull or bait shots into the wide tracks. Defender is a quite 'forgiving' tank - just don't expect every other to work as well. Maybe it's the wrong approach, but you may learn a bit more if you stay alive longer.)

Edited by kubawt112, 04 April 2019 - 11:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users