Jump to content


Double standards WG?


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

TheDrownedApe #1 Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:59 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 49490 battles
  • 6,374
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    03-27-2013

So about 2 years ago i reported a Wg employee for his name being offensive. His name is very closely associated with a naughty F word and i find it offensive (as many do) and his whole name illicits a phrase which the F word would then make sense in.

 

At the time he came out and said it was a word or abbrev in his language that was normal everyday speak, therefore OK to have.

 

Fast forward a number of years and we have numerous forumties that have had their names changed as "an individual" found it offensive, immaterial of the language context and the "CS agents" could see their point - therefore renameduser.

 

Yet this WG employee still gets to keep his name when it is offensive to many many who use the English language.

 

Your chance to pass or fail WG, I've reported him again

 

Edit: seems the employee might have gone on to bigger and better things now as he hasn't been active in a while - but my point still stands

 

edit 2: Ok seems I've offended and annoyed some folk, geesh peeps take a chill pill and ignore this post if you so wish. It is just the drunk ramblings of an old, salty, iignominious tanker who wishes equality wherever he finds it lacking. Be at peace, and rock on


Edited by TheDrownedApe, 04 April 2019 - 08:31 PM.


lnfernaI #2 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:11 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 33849 battles
  • 4,715
  • Member since:
    09-15-2012

Is this really that important right now?

Wrong section,besides.



TheDrownedApe #3 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:16 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 49490 battles
  • 6,374
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    03-27-2013

View PostlnfernaI, on 04 April 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

Is this really that important right now?

Wrong section,besides.

 

Well considering the amount of forced renames we have - yes

 

But thanks Moderator - please move it to the right place. Oh what, you can't? why not?

 


Edited by TheDrownedApe, 04 April 2019 - 08:17 PM.


BravelyRanAway #4 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:19 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 24333 battles
  • 11,809
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
  • Member since:
    12-29-2010
Some folk are quite fragile.

Piotr_Kuracslav_Botovic #5 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:20 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 7506 battles
  • 646
  • Member since:
    10-01-2014

i think you should get a job and a life instead of wasting ur time with something like this, just my humble opinion

I could also say that your name is very offensive for me because ape is a common used insult for black people in english language, but I don't care



TheDrownedApe #6 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:20 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 49490 battles
  • 6,374
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    03-27-2013

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 04 April 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

Some folk are quite fragile.

 

well half-cut (wine on a thursday never a good idea) and bouyed by Squirting_elephants latest post i felt obliged to support him

arthurwellsley #7 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:21 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 54060 battles
  • 4,018
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
  • Member since:
    05-11-2011

View PostlnfernaI, on 04 April 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

Is this really that important right now?

Wrong section,besides.

 

I feel that you are wrong.

Have you not noticed recently that there appears to be a new gameplay Mode in World of Tanks.

This began when the CS team started moderating innocous names of players active and on the forum and clans.

As a consequence many forumites have joined CS in this new gameplay mode and have begun to much more actively report various names. There have even been ingame prizes for these events recently.

 

Thus clearly the ongoing naming saga that CS set off is a game to be played so the post is in the correct section, and how the game mode is turning out and whether WG will hire some native English speaking staff is something I am interested in new posts on.



TheDrownedApe #8 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:26 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 49490 battles
  • 6,374
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    03-27-2013

View Post_Yunalesca_, on 04 April 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

i think you should get a job and a life instead of wasting ur time with something like this, just my humble opinion

I could also say that your name is very offensive for me because ape is a common used insult for black people in english language, but I don't care

 

Thanks i have a nice job and a life.

 

Then report my name if you find it offensive, i never wish to offend anyone.

 

Or perhaps stick to your usual language section where you seem to have better grasp of what's offensive language

 

View Post_Yunalesca_, on 04 April 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

Those mentioned TDs are caveshitstinkysockfuck useless tanks, everyone knows that.

But WG gives a crapabout old tanks, look at TigerII or KV-4.

 



Dorander #9 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:27 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 21025 battles
  • 6,005
  • Member since:
    05-07-2012

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 04 April 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

 

well half-cut (wine on a thursday always a good idea) and bouyed by Squirting_elephants latest post i felt obliged to support him

 

Fixed that for you :P

 

View Post_Yunalesca_, on 04 April 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

i think you should get a job and a life instead of wasting ur time with something like this, just my humble opinion

I could also say that your name is very offensive for me because ape is a common used insult for black people in english language, but I don't care

 

You realize that silly argument could also be used against you for writing this very post, right?

 

As for the argument itself, I don't know what kind of state you are living in but where I live, the gains from people's employment (regardless of whether they like their job or consider the job important) serve to support the living standards and activities we enjoy during our remaining free time. How that free time is spent or why, is subject to everyone's personal pleasure and not the disapproval of other random people. You may find the matter irrelevant to your personal concerns but you don't get to tell other people what they should concern themselves with.



TheDrownedApe #10 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:27 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 49490 battles
  • 6,374
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    03-27-2013

View Postarthurwellsley, on 04 April 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

 

I feel that you are wrong.

Have you not noticed recently that there appears to be a new gameplay Mode in World of Tanks.

This began when the CS team started moderating innocous names of players active and on the forum and clans.

As a consequence many forumites have joined CS in this new gameplay mode and have begun to much more actively report various names. There have even been ingame prizes for these events recently.

 

Thus clearly the ongoing naming saga that CS set off is a game to be played so the post is in the correct section, and how the game mode is turning out and whether WG will hire some native English speaking staff is something I am interested in new posts on.

 

Sir your Sarcasm and wit knows no bounds. Chapeau

Piotr_Kuracslav_Botovic #11 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:27 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 7506 battles
  • 646
  • Member since:
    10-01-2014

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 04 April 2019 - 08:26 PM, said:

 

Thanks i have a nice job and a life.

 

Then report my name if you find it offensive, i never wish to offend anyone.

 

Or perhaps stick to your usual language section where you seem to have better grasp of what's offensive language

 

 

But those are caveshitstinkysockfuck useless tanks



BravelyRanAway #12 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:27 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 24333 battles
  • 11,809
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
  • Member since:
    12-29-2010

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 04 April 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

 

well half-cut (wine on a thursday never a good idea) and bouyed by Squirting_elephants latest post i felt obliged to support him

Well he just he went full steam ahead and renamed himself to get more attention. Agree that his first name should never have been changed, but trying to get someone else's named changed due to a weak connection with another word or phrase make's someone no different from those who reported Squirting_elephants.



cicis2016 #13 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:27 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 855 battles
  • 65
  • Member since:
    07-10-2016

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 04 April 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

So about 2 years ago i reported a Wg employee for his name being offensive. His name is very closely associated with a naughty F word and i find it offensive (as many do) and his whole name illicits a phrase which the F word would then make sense in.

 

At the time he came out and said it was a word or abbrev in his language that was normal everyday speak, therefore OK to have.

 

Fast forward a number of years and we have numerous forumties that have had their names changed as "an individual" found it offensive, immaterial of the language context and the "CS agents" could see their point - therefore renameduser.

 

Yet this WG employee still gets to keep his name when it is offensive to many many who use the English language.

 

Your chance to pass or fail WG, I've reported him again

 

Edit: seems the employee might have gone on to bigger and better things now as he hasn't been active in a while - but my point still stands

 

come to me bro, i will give u a hug :)

wsatnutter #14 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:27 PM

    General

  • Beta Tester
  • 26436 battles
  • 9,441
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    08-25-2010

The Op has a very valid point

if there is a rule then it must be for all



Piotr_Kuracslav_Botovic #15 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:29 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 7506 battles
  • 646
  • Member since:
    10-01-2014

View PostDorander, on 04 April 2019 - 08:27 PM, said:

You realize that silly argument could also be used against you for writing this very post, right?

 

Yes, I do

OIias_of_Sunhillow #16 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:32 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 25929 battles
  • 3,382
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-20-2011

I can honestly say I've never been, 'offended', by anyone's name in any online game that I've played in.

Either I'm a lot more hardy than most folk seem to be, or there appears to be a lot of people ready to be offended by anything at any time.

 

I'll take a stab at some people being offended by an ape going to a watery grave.

But some people will take offence at anything.  ;)



TPpie #17 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:33 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 16230 battles
  • 158
  • Member since:
    05-08-2014

Well simple complaints like these are doubtful to catch WG's attention to address the issue - maybe, but it's very very unlikely.

 

A proper protest towards WG (key word proper) might cause WG's/WG's moderation staff to redress the issue but I doubt its possible to get something like that going.

 

 

Keep your head low and pay off the right people? :sceptic:



Dorander #18 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:43 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 21025 battles
  • 6,005
  • Member since:
    05-07-2012

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 04 April 2019 - 07:32 PM, said:

I can honestly say I've never been, 'offended', by anyone's name in any online game that I've played in.

Either I'm a lot more hardy than most folk seem to be, or there appears to be a lot of people ready to be offended by anything at any time.

 

I'll take a stab at some people being offended by an ape going to a watery grave.

But some people will take offence at anything.  ;)

 

There are a bunch of rules for names, none of which are difficult to understand. They exist for various reasons which is boring and pointless to discuss, but one easily pointed out is that there are children playing this game and unlike adults they can't be expected to have the same sense of perspective on various tongue-in-cheek kind of names.

 

There's also simply the problem that it's impossible to prove whether a name was meant to be tongue-in-cheek or genuinely innocent and it will be interpreted depending on the beliefs held by the viewer, including what they know about the person whose name it is. The line is inevitably arbitrary and probably a bit harshly enforced in an attempt to err on the safe side as there are people out there who'll feign innocence about a name they deliberately chose because it has ambiguous meaning, one of which is clearly meant to offend or to make light of injustices inflicted upon specific groups.



eekeeboo #19 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:52 PM

    EU Video Content Manager

  • WG Staff
  • 47007 battles
  • 2,484
  • Member since:
    07-25-2010
I'm just going to subtly move this to the off-topic section and highlight I wasn't at WG 2 years ago and that I'm not sure the member of staff (or like to know). That I understand the frustration that some of you feel on this, but the rules are intended to protect the player base and the legal obligation from WG as a whole. I don't know more than what I can read here, but I would like to avoid any escalation of any issues due to wine. 

Homer_J #20 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:52 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 32284 battles
  • 35,321
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 04 April 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

 

Edit: seems the employee might have gone on to bigger and better things now as he hasn't been active in a while - but my point still stands

 

Yep I looked him up when moist dumbo got renamed first time round.  I already knew he had moved on from moderating some time ago.

 

If it's any consolation, support consider drowning primates to be perfectly acceptable. :sceptic:






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users