RTX 2060 Horrible stuttering

rtx 2060 stuttering

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Shaade_Silentpaw #1 Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23737 battles

Just got back to the game after finally replacing my dead GTX 570 with an RTX 2060...but I'm getting weird stuttering with it.

The FPS is between 120-160 the vast majority of the time - yet the game is an unplayable, laggy mess. :angry:

Anyone else had this problem, or at least have some idea what might be causing it?

SuedKAT #2 Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:53 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

When you replaced the card did you just take one out and put the other one in? Did you for example utilize DDU to completely wipe your old drivers and install the new ones? https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Have you checked your BIOS, both in terms of settings and in terms of possible updates? Have you also checked your system overall for driver updates etc?

What other hardware are you pairing that 2060 with, SSD or HDD, what CPU, how much RAM? It's quite possible your 2060 is bottle-necked by your other hardware and even though you got a nice GPU your other stuff can't keep up.

Does the same thing happen if you turn off antialiasing and ambient occlusion, also do you have Vsync on or off?

Shaade_Silentpaw #3 Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:12 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23737 battles

View PostSuedKAT, on 06 April 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

When you replaced the card did you just take one out and put the other one in? Did you for example utilize DDU to completely wipe your old drivers and install the new ones? https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Have you checked your BIOS, both in terms of settings and in terms of possible updates? Have you also checked your system overall for driver updates etc?

What other hardware are you pairing that 2060 with, SSD or HDD, what CPU, how much RAM? It's quite possible your 2060 is bottle-necked by your other hardware and even though you got a nice GPU your other stuff can't keep up.

Does the same thing happen if you turn off antialiasing and ambient occlusion, also do you have Vsync on or off?

Didn't use DDU, but I did uninstall my previous driver before installing the new GPU. Everything is up to date.

Other specs - i7 4770k, 256gb SSD, 16Gb ram. I doubt it's bottlenecking much, if at all...and if it was, it should be affecting the FPS too, no?

Have tried Vsync on and off, same with AA - Ambient occlusion is off. I've tried lowering all the settings down to various degrees, way farther than I should really need to with a 2060, but the stuttering remains regardless of settings.

Also should have mentioned - this is an exclusive problem to WoT, I'm not having problems in any other games.

SuedKAT #4 Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:38 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Ok, I would recommend that you use DDU to completely wipe your GPU drivers and then reinstall everything again.

That CPU is most likely a bottleneck for that GPU, however since you also mentioned that you've tried lowering your settings I doubt that your actual hardware is the cause for the stutter you're experiencing. However even though you say that everything is up to date it might not actually be, how exactly are you verifying that all your drivers, BIOS etc are up to date?

Regarding FPS vs Stutter, to quote Nvidia:

View PostNvidia, said:

Graphics Lag
The granddaddy of all lag, this is the result of a general slowdown in graphics, and is a common occurrence for any gamer. Basically, your system just can't produce enough Frames Per Second (FPS) to make everything feel nice and smooth. Anytime graphics lag happens, you'll typically get a reduction in the responsiveness of your controls. Your actions take a fraction longer to be reflected in the graphics on-screen because it takes your system a bit more time to create each new frame of graphics and send it to your monitor.

View PostNvidia, said:

Stutter Lag
OK, so you think you're getting enough frames to remove graphics lag from your list of culprits. How come things still aren't smooth? Enter Stutter Lag, which occurs during periods where the game appears to stutter or momentarily freeze. To understand this problem, you need to picture the chain of events which lead to the game image appearing on your screen. Basically, all game data has to first load up from your drive before your CPU and graphics card (GPU) can do anything with it. At various points that data is held in temporary storage areas such as your system memory (RAM) or video memory (VRAM) to help your CPU or GPU access it more quickly when it's needed. You can see that there are several areas which could be to blame for game data not flowing smoothly through your system. When that data hits points where game information is not being transferred fast enough, you get stuttering and momentary freezes.

Old but still relevant: https://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/guides/how-to-get-rid-of-lag-guide#1

WoT used to rely quite heavily on your HDD/SSD performance back in the day, it was not uncommon that you could experience a lag spike the first time a tank got spotted since your system had to load the textures from your drive. This have improved over time and it's a lot better with the new engine, but an outdated driver or BIOS may very well result in the same or similar behavior.

Different games utilize different things, so even though you might have flawless performance in one game that don't necessarily mean everything is ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users