Quick reminder to increase your stats.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

SaintMaddenus #1 Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:23 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 36711 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I'm an average player so accept this please for what its worth, I'm not some elitist 9k+ Personal rating person or nothing like that but...

The only constant thing about each battle is you..  sometimes you get good teams, sometimes bad sometimes you are going to get a run of them.  But the reality is only YOU can make a difference.  Learn to play isn't being rude, its a fact.    When I realised that my Personal rating went from 4.3 K to just below 5K.    I know my flaws, I'm overly aggressive and I just can't get used to spotting rules.  But those are my factors.  I'm not going to whine about wheelies, I'm going to learn how to deal with them, just like when the French light autoloaders changed this game.  It took a while to get used to. 

Git Gud is real advice.   Read the map, read the types of tanks you are against.  You low tier heavy, don't go typical heavy spot cos you cant trade with a tank +2 tiers.  stuff like that,  just adapt.  Learn.

I'm still trying to learn to play.   If you do have bad stats, stop and think it is actually you and work from that premise.  What can you do to help the team..    Oh and never go alone.

jimbobjammybob #2 Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 620 battles
  • [TH1NK] TH1NK
*edited*  

Edited by Jahpero, 12 April 2019 - 04:23 PM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to an unwanted picture (no politic on forums)

TungstenHitman #3 Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:43 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26363 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS
Kemp redline and press 2 key. Now you are magic purple unicorn tanko God. See? Simples

jeffrey_mk2 #4 Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13713 battles
  • [NLWGG] NLWGG
Nope dont agree 100% but sure you can influence a game by not even hitting/shooting.
Sometimes just showing up and creating a little chaos is enough to win.
Some games just be annoying for the enemy and let team mates shoot when the enemy get distracted by you.
But here it comes ,when you are in a total incompetent team you just cant make a difference.
Best is just try to stay alive as long as possible and try to hit as much as you can and forget that you can win..but keep fighting till the very end.
Sometimes you can get quite far without even knowing.
Last 2 weeks where quite horrible for me every time I started up WOT so I havent played a lot...I was playing quite consistent but when you get into lemming teams , full camp-at-base teams you gotta try to adapt to it.
Still its very hard to draw your team into a victory when they are really clueless.
So yes you can influence the game but when you also have to play against your own team its totally not your fault that you lost.
All I do then is focus on my own performance....game lost but you where in the top 5 players by xp??? Thats good enough for me :)

Edited by jeffrey_mk2, 12 April 2019 - 10:50 AM.

DocZero #5 Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:04 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 27536 battles

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 12 April 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

The only constant thing about each battle is you..

No.

First, each time you play you are different. Not the same mood, health, focus. We are not robots.

Then, the constants things are the game mechanisms, known or hidden, the RNG punishing the gain you can have by being consistant, etc.

It's too easy to say that is the fault only of the player, that you just have to be good. Game is complex, and reducing the player to a constant its just false and dumb.

Each time you play you are facing chaotic systems (chaotics in the mathematic sense), impredictables, and in forum i just keep saying statistical reponses.

No, playing WOT is no resolvable by statistic, it' a dynamical system highly sensitive to initial conditions.

More, if the RNG was closer to 0%, you could really make differences, consistently, and get a reward for your effort.

Edited by DocZero, 12 April 2019 - 11:08 AM.

Captain_Kremen0 #6 Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:14 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38257 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

^^This. first cpl of games=rusty

gets into flow = gets better

6+ beers = BANZAI!!

SaintMaddenus #7 Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:15 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 36711 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

"First, each time you play you are different. Not the same mood, health, focus. We are not robots."

I get that, but its still you..   Be self aware, usually after 3 or 4 battles I can tell if I shouldn't be playing tanks and there are days I just shouldn't.  I switch to Skyrim, fallout or WOWP.  (for the free exp)

PS I also know I play like crap at T10.

OohSpicy #8 Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:26 AM

Private

• Player
  • 24061 battles
  • [TSOP] TSOP
If only more ppl would think the same as op.

Jauhesammutin #9 Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:32 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23031 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostDocZero, on 12 April 2019 - 10:04 AM, said:

No.

First, each time you play you are different. Not the same mood, health, focus. We are not robots.

Then, the constants things are the game mechanisms, known or hidden, the RNG punishing the gain you can have by being consistant, etc.

It's too easy to say that is the fault only of the player, that you just have to be good. Game is complex, and reducing the player to a constant its just false and dumb.

Each time you play you are facing chaotic systems (chaotics in the mathematic sense), impredictables, and in forum i just keep saying statistical reponses.

No, playing WOT is no resolvable by statistic, it' a dynamical system highly sensitive to initial conditions.

More, if the RNG was closer to 0%, you could really make differences, consistently, and get a reward for your effort.

Yes.

You are the only constant thing in each battle you play. You play better, you get better results.

BR33K1_PAWAH #10 Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6051 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postjimbobjammybob, on 12 April 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

*edited*  

This.

View PostTungstenHitman, on 12 April 2019 - 12:43 PM, said:

Kemp redline and press 2 key. Now you are magic purple unicorn tanko God. See? Simples

And that.

krazypenguin #11 Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:32 PM

Major

• Player
  • 27626 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjeffrey_mk2, on 12 April 2019 - 09:50 AM, said:

Nope dont agree 100% but sure you can influence a game by not even hitting/shooting.
Sometimes just showing up and creating a little chaos is enough to win.
Some games just be annoying for the enemy and let team mates shoot when the enemy get distracted by you.
But here it comes ,when you are in a total incompetent team you just cant make a difference.
Best is just try to stay alive as long as possible and try to hit as much as you can and forget that you can win..but keep fighting till the very end.
Sometimes you can get quite far without even knowing.
Last 2 weeks where quite horrible for me every time I started up WOT so I havent played a lot...I was playing quite consistent but when you get into lemming teams , full camp-at-base teams you gotta try to adapt to it.
Still its very hard to draw your team into a victory when they are really clueless.
So yes you can influence the game but when you also have to play against your own team its totally not your fault that you lost.
All I do then is focus on my own performance....game lost but you where in the top 5 players by xp??? Thats good enough for me :)

Good comment.  If you consistently try to be the best in your team, you will make a difference eventually.  Of course there are games you can never win, and ones you can never lose, but I can often identify specific moments in a battle where something I have done has either won it for our team, or lost it for us.  By learning from those situations I can make myself better.

Toni112007 #12 Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11057 battles
Sometimes you can't influence the battle no matter how hard you try tho. 

SaintMaddenus #13 Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 36711 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostToni112007, on 12 April 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

That is true, but that's sometimes.   Sometimes that KV2 didn't go the heavy route and you run smack in the face to it in your light. or it snipes you from across the map.  It happens.  but its sometimes.

MeetriX #14 Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:52 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 21971 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE
I have tried to Git Gud once or twice. Didn't work.

Toni112007 #15 Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11057 battles

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 12 April 2019 - 12:45 PM, said:

That is true, but that's sometimes.   Sometimes that KV2 didn't go the heavy route and you run smack in the face to it in your light. or it snipes you from across the map.  It happens.  but its sometimes.

During the marathon its more than sometimes but whatever :trollface:

Emerald_322 #16 Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12085 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

View PostTungstenHitman, on 12 April 2019 - 12:43 PM, said:

Wrong on so many levels.

What does a unicum want? Damage and win.  If you redline snipe you can get some of that at the begining of the game but then as the game progresses you wont be able to catch up with the other team mates and you lose much of the ''free damage'' 

Where can you get free and lots of damage?  in the middle or in a position where you can shoot on both flanks or you cover most of the map.

If i ever resort to  redline sniping that means that i can't personally influence the game anymore and the game is lost no matter what. I will do that just to get as much dmg as possible before the inevitable happens.

Unicums don't redline snipe they are reactive, ready to push or ready to fall back depending on the flow of the battle, they just know they key positions of the maps in order to achieve that.

SaintMaddenus #17 Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 36711 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
ok its true, sometimes your team is like this...

OllieCromwell #18 Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 43459 battles
  • [GENB] GENB

View PostToni112007, on 12 April 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

This .... sometimes (and the frequency seems to be increasing every week) your team just is full of [edited]lemming-ing (is that a word) towards the very first red dot they see on the mini-map, and before you know it you are on your own fighting to hold that flank where only 30 seconds before there was like 4 heavies with you  (that threw themselves at the enemy on at a time) ...

'Gid gut' only goes so far ... It will allow you to get those one or 2 extra shots out maybe and some extra damage (=income) and recognize a situation where it's better to 'bravely run away' ... but unless you're a super unicorn  you're more or less dependent on the intellect/intelligence of your team to survive and work together to achieve a good result (win).

You're doomed if you are thrown into a team with 14 lemmings that just sit behind the PC, drooling from 1 corner of their mouth.

4nt #19 Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26038 battles

View PostDocZero, on 12 April 2019 - 11:04 AM, said:

No.

This is at the same time right and totally wrong.

Mood, health and 'focus' do matter. But, one should be self-aware enough when playing online games (except some .io games), that these aforementioned are in acceptable parameters. And in enviros like WoT those parameters are individual, but tight. You say we aren't robots, but humans are biologically and psychologically pretty much just that, only more flexible and more egoistic. If one forgets his or her 'zone', and starts playing, one should not weep for suboptimal results.

You allude to hidden mechanisms, which already tells a lot of your standpoint, but nevertheless. When one knows most mechanisms of the game one is playing (freely available in WoTs case, wiki, lots of yt vids etc.), one can easily dismiss most of the systematic chaos, like RNG. Since most critical info is right there when one browses an vehicle, one can easily deduct it's rough capabilties even before decision to buy. For more advanced info and intel on probable enemies, internet has many options, like tanks.gg. Hence, one can with little effort extend his or her knowledge before pressing Battle, minimizing the surprise element of RNG.

Furthermore, RNG can be controlled ingame. Obvious control method is premium ammo for pen rolls. But that aside, map knowledge and self-control are crucial in that effort. Take a risky shot now revealing your position or wait a momentissa for more realistic success? Wait on strong position where nothing is bound to happen for a while, or relocate for more immediate gains? Enemy hides, is not spotted, do I have enough hp to take one, is the enemy within one shot, can I load HE to secure kill? And so forth.

Personal skills, hence, do matter. Skills are more than just speed of cliking and knowing/aiming weakspots. Most skilled players seem to have high skills in map control and self awareness, what they can or cannot do in situations. They take shots that have at least high probability of success indicating good knowledge of own tank and enemy. They prevail in situations that seem chaotic, manage to drag and pull horrible teams screaming and kicking into victory, and I believe that it is due to above. It is at least constant in present materiel. They are the constant that allows them to win More.

But in a sense, skill only takes one so far. Best players hang in range of 60-70% (excluding low tier padders). You are correct that skill alone won't decide outcome, but even that is expected in non-respawnable 15 vs 15 enviroment, even without RNG effect. 0 RNG wouldn't really make more than 5-10% difference overall, as proven by WT, and that has also respawns on (1-5 vehicles per realistic, 3 on arcade). 

TLDR: mood swings aside RNG can be foreseen and adjusted, team less so, but blaming teams is useless for personal growth.

m44t #20 Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:14 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18168 battles
And when someone is defending abandoned flank on the cliff (in top tier heavy using tried and tested kempbush redline tactic), cause You fine gentlemen forgotten about it and 14 of You went into the valley (and lost it )  - do not call him names, You know in postgame stats there could be some surprise and this top tier heavy idiot could be the one who won Your - thrown from the start - game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users