Preventative Maintenance or Clutch Braking

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

ALERHATE #1 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3176 battles
  • [DORUK] DORUK
Which is usually useful for most tanks ?

Toni112007 #2 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11057 battles
Depends on the tank.

SuedKAT #3 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:14 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
As Toni said, it depends quite a lot on the tank, are you driving a sluggish none turreted TD or a Chinese tinderbox MT for example, however both of them are skills that I generally don't bother with until the crew got a lot of other more vital skills first.

kaneloon #4 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:15 PM

Major

• Player
  • 29937 battles
  • [FR2DB] FR2DB

I never saw someone use Preventive M. It must be one of the last to be chosen.

Toni112007 #5 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11057 battles
I always go for sixth sense and repair first and second BIA. I think I did pick clutch barking but it was for JPZE100. So basically thats a must later skill (4th or 5th) for slow turettless tanks.

Edited by Toni112007, 12 April 2019 - 03:18 PM.

The_Naa #6 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5199 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View PostALERHATE, on 12 April 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

for most tanks its CB.

but for tanks like low tier Chinese mediums or other tanks that catch fire easily the PM is better.

Homer_J #7 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31180 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Offroad driving and smooth ride.

Miepie #8 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:29 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2866 battles
  • [KEL-O] KEL-O

View Postkaneloon, on 12 April 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

I never saw someone use Preventive M. It must be one of the last to be chosen.

Most of my drivers already have enough to learn [1], but when my Chinese LT driver reaches the point where he has to choose between these two skills, he'll get Preventative Maintenance. It'll probably make using food instead of a fire extinguisher a bit safer, but more importantly: I have on occasion found that sometimes, a vehicle traverse speed can be too high, either fishtailing my tank 90 degrees making it lose all speed or hurling me off a bridge when all I wanted to do was a slight course correction. :teethhappy:

[1] BiA, Smooth ride, camo, repair, offroad...

TungstenHitman #9 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:39 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26363 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

Here's a related question for you guys. I'm currently running my T49 with food and I'm within a few battles of getting my 5th crew skill. Now running food means I have no extinguisher so this is bad news for when I catch fire and while the T49 hasn't proven to be a tinder box, it certainly can and does catch fire more than plenty of other tanks.

What I want to know is what is going to serve me better, Preventative Maintenance, Fire fighting skill or a combination of both? Here's the thing, Preventative maintenance reduce your chances of having and engine fire ONLY. It does not have any influence of catching a fuel tank fire and I'm not entirely sure(in the heat of battle) which type of fire I am getting more frequently. Obviously PM is a perk so I'd reset repairs or something and just let repairs build up again for that one crew member and have the other 3 crew train for fire fighting. Or should I just go all out for fire fighting skill for all 4 crew? Since ok, that will NOT reduce my chances of catching fire but having a slightly stronger fire fighting crew of 4 instead of 3 will reduce the amount of time I am on fire... what do you guys think? Fire fighting for all 4 or PM and FF for 3?

undutchable80 #10 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:41 PM

Major

• Player
  • 10088 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTungstenHitman, on 12 April 2019 - 03:39 PM, said:

Here's a related question for you guys. I'm currently running my T49 with food and I'm within a few battles of getting my 5th crew skill. Now running food means I have no extinguisher so this is bad news for when I catch fire and while the T49 hasn't proven to be a tinder box, it certainly can and does catch fire more than plenty of other tanks.

What I want to know is what is going to serve me better, Preventative Maintenance, Fire fighting skill or a combination of both? Here's the thing, Preventative maintenance reduce your chances of having and engine fire ONLY. It does not have any influence of catching a fuel tank fire and I'm not entirely sure(in the heat of battle) which type of fire I am getting more frequently. Obviously PM is a perk so I'd reset repairs or something and just let repairs build up again for that one crew member and have the other 3 crew train for fire fighting. Or should I just go all out for fire fighting skill for all 4 crew? Since ok, that will NOT reduce my chances of catching fire but having a slightly stronger fire fighting crew of 4 instead of 3 will reduce the amount of time I am on fire... what do you guys think? Fire fighting for all 4 or PM and FF for 3?

PM is a perk isn't it? I'd say go for FF and once 100% reset to PM and start FF anew. 

vasilinhorulezz #11 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23236 battles
I'd say clutch braking, for most tanks, although if you have a weak engine deck, preventative might be a good choice. Personally I would go for clutch first, on pretty much every tank.

Jumping_Turtle #12 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 65405 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

Dont you have plenty of the Experienced Firefighters directives from the various missions you can use. I found out a few days ago I have 185 of those and am using them now on a few tanks with food.

ALERHATE #13 Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:47 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3176 battles
  • [DORUK] DORUK
Thanks guys !

tank276 #14 Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 52353 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostALERHATE, on 12 April 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

Clutch braking for me, especially if you are interested in a sluggish non turreted TD.

Bordhaw #15 Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:46 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13422 battles

View PostALERHATE, on 12 April 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

Preventative Maintenance

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:55 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26363 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 12 April 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

Dont you have plenty of the Experienced Firefighters directives from the various missions you can use. I found out a few days ago I have 185 of those and am using them now on a few tanks with food.

Great idea. I forget I have these things.

BlackBloodBandit #17 Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:04 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3706 battles

If you're able to work on FF on full crew, it is certainly better, because most fired in tanks are caught by fuel tanks. Sometimes I use it on German tanks. Keep in mind, that you might have received quite some FF directives over the last month for missions. I use them on some tanks I run with food.

PM is sometimes use on German or US tanks with 20% fire chance. Tanks with 15% or lower I don't use it on.

Big slow tanks can always use Clutch.. mostly heavies, but it's worth checking which on does more for your tank, Clutch or Off-road driving.

Edited by BlackBloodBandit, 13 April 2019 - 07:06 AM.

Laatikkomafia #18 Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 23006 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Clutch braking > Preventative maintenance in any tank.

Would you rather traverse faster, or get a reduced chance of being set on fire if the enemy hits your engine? (Preventative maintenance doesn't affect fuel tank fires). Also, Automatic fire extinguishers already reduces the chance of a fire, which with most engines is low to begin with, usually around 10-20% chance.

But then again, Clutch braking / Preventative would be the 5th skill of a driver. (BiA , Repairs / Camo , Smooth Ride and Off-road driving > either of those)

Edited by Laatikkomafia, 13 April 2019 - 08:34 AM.

LordMuffin #19 Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 50000 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Neither unless you talk about a 4+ skilled crew.

And in that case I always go for clutch breaking.

15:23 Added after 2 minutes

I would definitely go firefighting.

Balc0ra #20 Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:24 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 69698 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

You play the Swedish tier 8+ TD's. Preventative maintenance.  You play the T95. Clutch Breaking. As if you burn on every frontal hit in the tracks. You def go for the first one. If you turn so slow when getting countered by agile tanks. You go for the 2nd one.  As my Udes burned more or less every 2nd game on a frontal track hit. But after I got that skill it was reduced greatly.

Take my Chinese tier 9 TD. Clutch breaking at 100% there added 1.46 traverse speed, that helps. So it's effect is ofc based on how high or low the base is. You can add any tank you own to the garage comparison tool. Add the clutch breaking skill and see if the gain is worth it. Or if the difference is way to little to notice. But in general, Clutch is def wort it first on most tanks. Unless you burn every game on the first hit. As then your traverse is way slower for that other skill to matter. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users