AMX 65t upgrade guide

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

DeadLecter #1 Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28807 battles

With this 5x XP event I'm playing tanks that I hadn't touched in a long long time. Now it's this guy's turn. I am going to free XP the track. Now I can either unlock the turret and then go for the 120 mm gun or I can unlock the engine and the reason I say engine is because this tank is so frickin slow.

Even on 100% flat terrain it barely reaches 28~30 kph.

Will the top engine help it reach its top speed which is 40 kph? Those who have unlocked it, tell whether I should go for the engine, or the top gun.

Edit: I already have the second engine with 850 hp.

Edited by DeadLecter, 14 April 2019 - 06:05 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:04 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 32035 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
I kept the stock turret and didn't bother with the 120mm. I think it's a little better personally so I'd say go with the engine to increase the mobility from dire to just terrible.

DeadLecter #3 Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28807 battles

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 14 April 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

I kept the stock turret and didn't bother with the 120mm. I think it's a little better personally so I'd say go with the engine to increase the mobility from dire to just terrible.

How much does it increase the mobility? Will it go at least 35 kph?

FluffyRedFox #4 Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

General

• Player
  • 24459 battles
The mobility will always be sh*t, even with the top engine there's not much difference. Don't bother with either the top engine or 120mm, just keep stock turret + 105 and try to get through it.

jimbobjammybob #5 Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 620 battles
  • [TH1NK] TH1NK
top speed is dictated by tracks not engine. engine will help you get to the speed faster though and of course help on hills. get the tracks and gun as soon as possible engine can wait.

Laur_Balaur_XD #6 Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37100 battles
  • [FUSED] FUSED

View PostFluffyRedFox, on 14 April 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

The mobility will always be sh*t, even with the top engine there's not much difference. Don't bother with either the top engine or 120mm, just keep stock turret + 105 and try to get through it.

This.

View PostDeadLecter, on 14 April 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

With this 5x XP event I'm playing tanks that I hadn't touched in a long long time. Now it's this guy's turn. I am going to free XP the track. Now I can either unlock the turret and then go for the 120 mm gun or I can unlock the engine and the reason I say engine is because this tank is so frickin slow.

Even on 100% flat terrain it barely reaches 28~30 kph.

Will the top engine help it reach its top speed which is 40 kph? Those who have unlocked it, tell whether I should go for the engine, or the top gun.

The second turret is terrible and the engine is worth to be researched only if it is also a upgrade for the next tank (i think it's not, don't remember).

No matter what you upgrade the tank will be utter crap, so pick the shortest way to the next one. The tier 9 is actually really good as long as the enemy don't spam gold at you.

Edited by Laur_Balaur_XD, 14 April 2019 - 06:43 PM.

DeadLecter #7 Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28807 battles

View PostLaur_Balaur_XD, on 14 April 2019 - 09:11 PM, said:

The second turret is terrible and the engine is worth to be researched only if it is also a upgrade for the next tank (i think it's not, don't remember).

No matter what you upgrade the tank will be utter crap, so pick the shortest way to the next one. The tier 9 is actually really good as long as the enemy don't spam gold at you.

Actually the engine is also the top engine of the next tank. I think I will just research the engine and just farm the XP for the next tank.

While we're here, I just bought TVP VTU, and I was wondering whether I should unlock any of the guns? None of them carries over to the next tank so I thought I should just unlock the turret and go for Skoda T50.

Laur_Balaur_XD #8 Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37100 battles
  • [FUSED] FUSED

View PostDeadLecter, on 14 April 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

Actually the engine is also the top engine of the next tank. I think I will just research the engine and just farm the XP for the next tank.

While we're here, I just bought TVP VTU, and I was wondering whether I should unlock any of the guns? None of them carries over to the next tank so I thought I should just unlock the turret and go for Skoda T50.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

You also got TVP VTU, the bane of Defenders? Bro, you should stop sealclubbing in OP tanks like these two.:D

I had grinded TVP line when it appeared (on my other account) and from what i recall it's also kinda garbage no matter what you put on it. So again i advise on the shortest way to tier 9.

Ohhh, and be prepared with some free xo to put the autoloader gun on tier 9 TVP, without it is really bad.

FluffyRedFox #9 Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

General

• Player
  • 24459 battles

I see someone hates themself, having VTU and 65T at the same time :trollface:

For me at least, the stock mobility is fine so even though there's 3 engines (all of which unique to the VTU), I don't think there's that much of a need to research any of them. For guns its mostly your preference. Stock turret and 88 is what I'm running, I did try the 105 + top turret and wasn't impressed (or as impressed as you can be with a f*cking VTU) so that was a wasted 18k xp for me. Thing of note about the top turret, it has -6 gun dep with both guns, while with the 88 the stock turret has -8.

Homer_J #10 Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31180 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDeadLecter, on 14 April 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

I free exp'd the engines and they made no discernable difference at all.

But also the upgraded turret is worse than the stock one.

FatigueGalaxy #11 Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 20797 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

No matter what you'll do, mobility will be crap because of atrocious ground resistances. Upgraded suspension doesn't change them all and engine upgrades feel insignificant when their power is reduced by 73% on medium terrain and 53% on hard...

View PostHomer_J, on 14 April 2019 - 07:15 PM, said:

That's not entirely true. Top turret is better against tier 6 and 7 tanks (and some tier 8s) because of stronger weakspots (~180-200 mm effective armour, more if hulldown). You also get better reload (with both guns), 100 more hitpoints and more importantly - 20 m view range so you just have "bad view range", instead being "blind like a mole rat".

You get access to 120 mm gun too, which in some cases (like frequent tier 10 battles) and with some gold ammo is better than 100 mm.

Stock turret has more gun depression (10 instead of 8) and it's stronger overall but you get a weakspot which has only 60 mm effective armour. This means, everything can pen it, including KV-2 and japanese heavies with HE. It happened more than once to me before I switched to the top turret.

__Eric__ #12 Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32146 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I played 1 game in it and used free xp to get the tier 9. I didn't want to grind this tank.

VarzA #13 Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24517 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostDeadLecter, on 14 April 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

88 L71, nothing more, play like AMX CDC.

Save your freexp for the t9, it needs like 85k for the autoloader.

DeadLecter #14 Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28807 battles

View PostLaur_Balaur_XD, on 14 April 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

Sounds like a good plan to me.

You also got TVP VTU, the bane of Defenders? Bro, you should stop sealclubbing in OP tanks like these two.:D

I had grinded TVP line when it appeared (on my other account) and from what i recall it's also kinda garbage no matter what you put on it. So again i advise on the shortest way to tier 9.

Ohhh, and be prepared with some free xo to put the autoloader gun on tier 9 TVP, without it is really bad.

You haven't heard the best part yet. Today I bought VK45.02A, Obj 705, Cent 7/1 and Panther II on top of those two. It's 5x event and I thought I should try to finish the grind of the tanks that have 30~40k xp left to the next tank.

View PostFluffyRedFox, on 14 April 2019 - 09:41 PM, said:

I see someone hates themself, having VTU and 65T at the same time :trollface:

For me at least, the stock mobility is fine so even though there's 3 engines (all of which unique to the VTU), I don't think there's that much of a need to research any of them. For guns its mostly your preference. Stock turret and 88 is what I'm running, I did try the 105 + top turret and wasn't impressed (or as impressed as you can be with a f*cking VTU) so that was a wasted 18k xp for me. Thing of note about the top turret, it has -6 gun dep with both guns, while with the 88 the stock turret has -8.

Yeah I noticed the top turret has even less depression. I'll just stick to 88 and go full HEAT just for the daily double XP. Won't get any of the guns or the engine or even the tracks. Right now I have rammer and Vsab on it. I am ready to ignore vents so I can save 15k XP. That on top of the two guns is about 50k XP that I will invest in Skoda instead of useless upgrades.

View PostHomer_J, on 14 April 2019 - 09:45 PM, said:

I free exp'd the engines and they made no discernable difference at all.

I won't get either the turret or the 120 mm gun but I will research the engine. It's also used as the top engine on M4 51. So mabe it's worth it?

18:56 Added after 4 minutes

View PostFatigueGalaxy, on 14 April 2019 - 10:15 PM, said:

No matter what you'll do, mobility will be crap because of atrocious ground resistances. Upgraded suspension doesn't change them all and engine upgrades feel insignificant when their power is reduced by 73% on medium terrain and 53% on hard...

That's not entirely true. Top turret is better against tier 6 and 7 tanks (and some tier 8s) because of stronger weakspots (~180-200 mm effective armour, more if hulldown). You also get better reload (with both guns), 100 more hitpoints and more importantly - 20 m view range so you just have "bad view range", instead being "blind like a mole rat".

You get access to 120 mm gun too, which in some cases (like frequent tier 10 battles) and with some gold ammo is better than 100 mm.

Stock turret has more gun depression (10 instead of 8) and it's stronger overall but you get a weakspot which has only 60 mm effective armour. This means, everything can pen it, including KV-2 and japanese heavies with HE. It happened more than once to me before I switched to the top turret.

The top turret and the top gun need about 60k XP. And none of them carries over to the next tank. With the tank being horrible, I'm not sure it's wise to spend that much XP while I can use it to get to the next tank faster.

View Post__Eric__, on 14 April 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

I played 1 game in it and used free xp to get the tier 9. I didn't want to grind this tank.

View PostVarzA, on 14 April 2019 - 10:18 PM, said:

88 L71, nothing more, play like AMX CDC.

Save your freexp for the t9, it needs like 85k for the autoloader.

I had 330k free XP today. I only use it for unlocking tracks. I am a F2P player and all my free XP is what I have farmed and don't have gold to convert any xp. Now I have 250k. For Skoda I will still have to grind the turret and auto loader using only the daily double xp bonus. That's what I do with my stock tanks.

Cobra6 #15 Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16463 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Here is my review of the TVP VTU but basically keep the stock turret and the long 8,8, the 10,5 is not worth it as the gun handling is atrocious and the top turret also has less gun depression and the same armour while being much heavier, so your tank is effectively slower.

Homer_J #16 Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31180 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I hated the 65t but had no problem with the VTU strangely,

View PostFatigueGalaxy, on 14 April 2019 - 07:45 PM, said:

You can try all you like to sell it but it's still fug ugly.

Japualtah #17 Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29740 battles

That's a free XP tank.

And a shame for WG, it's disrespectful towards the players to put such tanks in the game.

DeadLecter #18 Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28807 battles

View PostJapualtah, on 14 April 2019 - 11:25 PM, said:

That's a free XP tank.

And a shame for WG, it's disrespectful towards the players to put such tanks in the game.

Most lines have a very painful tank to play. I'll just play them every day for the 2x XP and during these 4x and 5x events. I'm in no rush to get my hands on the TX tanks.

BobbyBrandon #19 Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 30437 battles
I've been going through this wonderful piece of french technology for quite some time now. How is this thing even on tier VIII? Researched all the modules to find out the best way to play it and it turns out that to me fully upgraded is the way to go. Yes, i've seen many posts before even getting the tank that you have to play it with stock turret and 100mm. Absolute worst thing about this giant piece of crap is its lack of mobility. Stock feels like it doesn't move at all. In contrary to popular opinion, i advise you to research the tracks and both engines. Small difference at first glance but later tank will feel much more capable when driving around. Stock turret is tougher but makes gun handling SO EFFING TERRIBLE. You wll fight mostly tier IXs and Xs so that tiny bit of additional armour doesn't matter anyway. And last the gun. After getting 120mm my results improved alot. Higher alpha and suprisingly good handling helps when you can't show that giant paper thin hull. Its still terrible but much better than stock turret/100mm in my opinion. Ofcourse you loose a lot of exp in the proces so choice is yours.

tmp #20 Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:49 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 95351 battles
  • [BADDY] BADDY

The theoretical top speed for 850hp engine and 1.73 terrain resistance is 30 kph. 1100hp gives you 39 kph.  It will take a while to get there, though.

This is assuming WG has fixed the tank, when it came out it had 2.40 on _medium_ terrain rather than soft.  But if you can hit 30 on flat medium with the 850hp engine this is probably the case.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users