reinstalled after long break, oh boy

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Random_Humanoid #1 Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:53 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17089 battles

so I stopped playing WOT way back, not quite sure when exactly but had mostly lost interest due to artillery and then the introduction of Jap heavies making it clear that pay to win was dead and now it was pay to do damage.  The defender was pretty much the last straw.  

I did drop in around 1.0 to see the HD maps but frankly thought they were worse, did not like them and overall not impressed.  Add to that the new artillery stun mechanics and I was out, no idea how that idea was thought to be a good one :amazed:

anyhoo, a few weeks back I saw the 7.0 server was going to be back up so I thought I might try again so I installed the game and gave it a go.  I quite enjoyed 7.0 (well for a few days then I got bored :teethhappy:) but the current game !!  WOW, was I appalled !!  but not sure if its just me having to get used to a new meta or if the game has generally regressed to a random unplayable less skill based meta.

Artillery, seriously, almost every game 3 arty, you cant get safe anymore, for example on Malinovka I went hill and got in behind the windmill but just got splashed over and over and stunned so much the game was a waste of time, I just sat there raging at the stupidity of the mechanic.  Arty was always an issue but now how can you have fun with these new mechanics?  sure they do less damage but frustration is so much worse, cant imagine what WG were thinking.  its a game, its meant to be fun !!!!

MM  I have not had much experience of this new template system but its terrible, and from reading the forms I understand it is a new version designed to improve what was going on?  :unsure:  what was wrong with the old MM, it worked perfectly

Game balance.  Again I have not had that many games but it seems so much worse now, so many tanks now are so powerful it just impossible for a lower tier tank to compete.  As I said, Jap heavies were the beginning of the end for me but now it seems almost every tank needs gold ammo to stand a chance to do damage, which neatly brings me to

Gold Ammo.  is this now default?  does anyone aim anymore?  I could understand when in a -2 mm it was necessary but now its needed same tier almost and it seems to be used all the time instead of occasionally.  there were always try hards and stat losers but this now is beyond belief

Maps,  worse worse worse :(.  I remember when Paris was introduced, bad map, but now?  fjords, worse, erlenberg so much worse (one of my favourite maps, needed real skill to get the best out of and had some amazing games on it) fishermans bay worse (what a campfest), mines worse (if you win the hill you almost cant shoot off it and its a trap, you cant get off it anymore so its now a yolo map), Minsk and Studzianski seem terrible but only 1 game on each so that may be unfair, I could go through every map but there seems to be a common thread to all of them.  Added so many areas at the back  of maps for campers movement is really restricted and its slowed the gameplay right down (steppes a good example)to be a camp off, cover is so dense spotting is almost impossible even when they shoot so again making it much campier, maps seem to be totally unbalanced with one team having a massive advantage over the other (highway, mines encounter spring to mind instantly) so again 1 team simply sits and tries to do damage before they inevitable spawn lose.  Still full of bugs, able to shoot through rocks because of bad 'pixelling' (sorry do not know correct terminology), you touch a rock and off you go.  Maps seem designed to be a yolo format, supporting a flank is much harder now as the sides seem to be much more isolated from the middles so one team can quickly yolo 1 flank, a good example here might be himmelsdorf, I used to love the 8 3 line to shoot the hill but now the building block most of the view and the walls seem higher so the tanks are much more covered and good maps have been removed or just ruined like old erlenberg, Stalingrad, Kharkov, sand river assault, maps where you could flank, fall back, change positions, support your team mates etc  and have great games because of good gameplay not just the luck of the draw.  all in all the gameplay seems to be hammered and the level of skill reduced to a game of luck in your team or your map spawn.

Wheeled vehicles seem to be a new class of P1C suicide scouts but not really sure with the games I have if that is a fair comment, the forum seems uncertain about them but they are new so guess time will tell.

Gameplay also seems beyond bad but I think that might be a result of the comments above, especially the maps.  by making the game worse, reducing skill the game play is naturally suffering and the enjoyment for me at least seems to be gone

oh wait, I forgot, Province, that was a great map, what have they done to it !!  worse 36% of the map is wasted and inaccessible,  why ?? that's the entire outside ring of squares btw, why bother making all that effort to design and program a map if you cannot use it, that should all be background, incidentally same as abbey 9/0 line but I see from playing 7.0 that's an old problem that WG still keep getting wrong

ahh well, that's my 2 pence worth, going to uninstall again but as I have gold and credits might try again in 6 months to see if its going to have some hope of being a good game again as I see there are plans to address some things, wait and see I guess.

ps not a rant, more a disappointed and slightly sad memory of a game I used to enjoy

DuncaN_101 #2 Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:59 AM

Major

• Player
  • 54582 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
Wall of complaints but it's not a rant...

Right.

Well good luck in your search for a different game. 

Edited by DuncaN_101, 15 April 2019 - 09:00 AM.

FrantisekBascovansky #3 Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19313 battles
what a whinefest

Wintermute_1 #4 Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:50 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47425 battles
Stay away this time.

Tamale #5 Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 434 battles

The 3 posts above mine, just goes to show, that people only think about them self.

I am guessing these 3 people are also whining about a dropping playerbase, while they farm new players at tier 3 with full gold, and max viewrange.

Its always me, me, me and it always will be.

unhappy_bunny #6 Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:36 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19256 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostTamale, on 15 April 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

The 3 posts above mine, just goes to show, that people only think about them self.

I am guessing these 3 people are also whining about a dropping playerbase, while they farm new players at tier 3 with full gold, and max viewrange.

Its always me, me, me and it always will be.

A strange conclusion to draw from those posts. 

Where is the "me, me, me" content? 

One points out that the OP's post looks like a rant, but also wishes him well for the future.

The next says it looks like a lot of whining.

And the 3rd advices the OP to stay away as the game is not likely to change to the OP's liking.

The thing that stood out for me, was the OP's comment on the Version 7.0 event. He became "bored" quite quickly. 

Clearly the game is not to his liking, even in its older format, and he has listed the things he doesn't like. At least he has accepted the game as it is and is not raving at WG to change it for his benefit. I too, wish him well in his quest for a game he can enjoy.

BR33K1_PAWAH #7 Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6051 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Good points from OP. Can't agree more.
09:52 Added after 0 minutes
Except MM. MM is much better now.

Ceeb #8 Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 31801 battles
  • [BULL] BULL

I stopped playing,  just burned out,  no post, no whinging. Found a game I'm enjoying to the point its the best triple A title to be released without a shed full of bugs, but gameplay wise... never seen better in a long long time.  (and no tanks)

The above stopped me from seeing the version 7 event, but if 2 Arty feck me off, having more per side will just make me become a clock tower sniper.

Signal11th #9 Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:43 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40752 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
Sad to say but I pretty much agree with everything the OP wrote. I've uninstalled it yet again but the one thing I notice is.. the periods between my playing and uninstalling and the eventual reinstallation are getting longer and longer, the game is less about actual skill these days and more about if you got the more retarded team than the other guy.

Cobra6 #10 Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16463 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostSignal11th, on 15 April 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

Sad to say but I pretty much agree with everything the OP wrote. I've uninstalled it yet again but the one thing I notice is.. the periods between my playing and uninstalling and the eventual reinstallation are getting longer and longer, the game is less about actual skill these days and more about if you got the more retarded team than the other guy.

Hardly play nowadays due to time constraints but when I play, the average IQ of the team......my god they are beyond the designation "special" in most cases....

Cobra 6

Ceeb #11 Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 31801 battles
  • [BULL] BULL

View PostSignal11th, on 15 April 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

What you playing now?

Personally, I'm in the Division 2, rekindled ties with players from first one.... loving it... though my wife hates it more than tanks

lnfernaI #12 Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:56 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 30866 battles

View PostSignal11th, on 15 April 2019 - 12:43 PM, said:

I met you recently in the game though...

I got a mild headache just by scrolling thru that wall of text.

Signal11th #13 Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:21 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40752 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View PostlnfernaI, on 15 April 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

I met you recently in the game though...

I got a mild headache just by scrolling thru that wall of text.

yes you would have the last mission grindathon is what prompted me to quit again although the grind itself was easy the teams just made the game very very unenjoyable and frankly I need to quit before I either have and embolism or break something and when a game is making you change your personality it's time to have a break.

Edited by Signal11th, 15 April 2019 - 12:23 PM.

Anymn #14 Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:44 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19627 battles
  • [RHPA] RHPA

I can recall many things in this post and fully agree with you. Definitely after playing wot 0.7.0, which is lots of fun and got many of us hooked into WoT in the first place.

•  Maps are simplified indeed, it's very hard to influence one flank from another. Design choice by WG to make the game playable for mentally disabled kids noobs. It's also the reason why there are so many landslide victories
  •  Positioning is easy: rush with your team to the middle of a flank. Heavies go one direction, mediums the other - that strategy is applicable to any map now. Do something different and you either lose or do no damage at all.
  •  Tanks are no longer balanced. Be prepared that WG accepted that they 'can no longer balance all tanks' and instead will focus on 'making new tank lines being interesting and enjoyable'
  •  Aiming is no longer the meta. Best play is taking a tank that can snapshot and uses gold rounds. This way, you minimize your own exposure
  •  Matchmaking is slightly improved, but I like the variety of the old MM more.
  •  Artillery is hell, with the stun being terrible. 3 in every battle. I rather have 0.7.0 artillery. No stun and being shot is avoidable by smart usage of bushes/hard cover

My approach to surviving this toxic meta is firing 60% premium rounds, running always food instead of a fire extinguisher and making sure I'm using tanks that don't require a lot of aiming time. Is it enjoyable? It's doable, but I've not really something else to play currently. And I invested so much in this game that ... I ... Have ... to ... play ... this ...

I hope one day Wargaming will release a 0.8.5 classic server/game mode or something. Considering 0.7.0 was only 2GB, they could put it into the main client and let players enable/disable it at login.

But I'm afraid this are only dreams. Those days are gone..... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

BR33K1_PAWAH #15 Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6051 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCobra6, on 15 April 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

Hardly play nowadays due to time constraints but when I play, the average IQ of the team......my god they are beyond the designation "special" in most cases....

Cobra 6

You think players here are not competent? Try ru servers, they will show you what "special" really means  :trollface:

TankkiPoju #16 Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22095 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostRandom_Humanoid, on 14 April 2019 - 11:53 PM, said:

oh wait, I forgot, Province, that was a great map

K bai.

Solstad1069 #17 Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:52 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41844 battles

View PostSignal11th, on 15 April 2019 - 11:43 AM, said:

Me too, uninstalled in Late September 2018, then came back for the Christmas month, and it was  fun again making tons of credits, then late January the constant bottom tier 3-5-7mm killed it. 
No doubt it was more about skill 3-5 years ago, you actually had to learn weakspots :P When the match maker made sure you were always top tier one third of your battles those moments you could carry the team was always a possibility.
3-5-7 makes sure you cant carry anything, all you can do is watch your top 3 guys melt away in 2 minutes.

Renesco #18 Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 24661 battles
  • [SOBAD] SOBAD

View PostSignal11th, on 15 April 2019 - 11:43 AM, said:

Pretty much this, I often get fed up and drown myself or throw myself off a cliff and re-roll for a better team, after all the losses one takes in credits is miniscule. I need to thank whoever invented XVM for saving me a lot of time.

Japualtah #19 Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29740 battles

WG can't get rid of arty because their company is not about making games but about making money.

I played 0.7.0 and 6 arties each side was common, which means the arty playerbase is strong and they need the money, they're just trying to keep everybody just not frustrated enough to leave.

Bad teams?

Same, some players can barely move their tank and yet they end up in the same battles as 65% WR streamers, how is that good design?

It seems design or leagues don't translate into WG language, but marketing does very well.

The problem is nobody will ever succeed into making a decent WoT clone for 2 reasons:

1° WoT has too much lead, even skilled developers (which remain to be found) would struggle to catch up

2° People have invested too much into WoT, not many are willing to start from scratch elsewhere.

It's a shame, I like the tank game idea very much, but we have to cope with incompetent devs forever I'm afraid.

lnfernaI #20 Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:44 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 30866 battles

View PostJapualtah, on 15 April 2019 - 06:21 PM, said:

WG can't get rid of arty because their company is not about making games but about making money.

You can say that about literally any company,for their own reasons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users