Jump to content


Dual-purpose GPUs - Rendering and Gaming

GPU nVidia Ray Tracing graphics card Quadro GeForce RTX

  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

WindSplitter1 #1 Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:20 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 18452 battles
  • 2,907
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM
  • Member since:
    02-07-2016

I'm inclined to get the MSI RTX 2060 Ventus 6G

 

But gaming is not the sole thing I want to do with my new rig. I also want to delve in 3D modelling. There are such GPUs, QUADRO, but... those are specifically for rendering, right? They would not fit for also gaming? Plus they're ultra expensive for their purpose. Then again they're for professionals... which is not the case.

 

 

Is there one that will enable me to do both, rathen then buying one of each? I'm not good with this sort of things so any constructive input is helpful

 

 



1ncompetenc3 #2 Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:00 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 37804 battles
  • 11,603
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013

You could game on a Quadro card if you wanted to but as you pointed out they're very expensive and you won't be using the rig as a professional workstation. You'll get better gaming and rendering performance with a GeForce card compared to a similarly priced Quadro card, so forget about Quadro and go with the best gaming card your budget allows.

 

This video might be relevant, they benchmark some workstation cards against high end gaming cards in various non-gaming applications. Rendering benchmarks start about 8 minutes in. RTX2060 isn't in there, not sure if that was even released at the time, but you'll get the idea.

 



WindSplitter1 #3 Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:11 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 18452 battles
  • 2,907
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM
  • Member since:
    02-07-2016

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 16 April 2019 - 03:00 AM, said:

You could game on a Quadro card if you wanted to but as you pointed out they're very expensive and you won't be using the rig as a professional workstation. You'll get better gaming and rendering performance with a GeForce card compared to a similarly priced Quadro card, so forget about Quadro and go with the best gaming card your budget allows.

 

This video might be relevant, they benchmark some workstation cards against high end gaming cards in various non-gaming applications. Rendering benchmarks start about 8 minutes in. RTX2060 isn't in there, not sure if that was even released at the time, but you'll get the idea.

 

 

They mentioned 3DS MAX, which is the program I will use so, yes. It was helpful.

 

I'll browse around for the 2080Ti. Thank you!



1ncompetenc3 #4 Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:17 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 37804 battles
  • 11,603
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013

Cool. :)

2080ti are awesome cards, rather pricey but performance-wise they're in their own class. :great:



SuedKAT #5 Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:30 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,692
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014
Before you go out and buy a 2080ti what do you plan to pair it up with in terms of hardware, since even though it's a great card in a class of it's own as mentioned above it's no point spending that amount of money if your overall system bottlenecks it.

WindSplitter1 #6 Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:27 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 18452 battles
  • 2,907
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM
  • Member since:
    02-07-2016

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 16 April 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

Cool. :)

2080ti are awesome cards, rather pricey but performance-wise they're in their own class. :great:

 

View PostSuedKAT, on 17 April 2019 - 02:30 AM, said:

Before you go out and buy a 2080ti what do you plan to pair it up with in terms of hardware, since even though it's a great card in a class of it's own as mentioned above it's no point spending that amount of money if your overall system bottlenecks it.

 

MB - MSI Z370 Plus

RAM - G.Skill Aegis DDR4 8GB 3000MHz CL18 - Later 16GB

CPU - Intel Core i7-8700

Storage I - Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

Storage II - Kingston A400 120GB

Storage II - Same as above 240GB

PSU - NOX Hummer 650W Bronz Edition

 

Apart from the CPU, which I already know it's not fitting for that monster, I think the rest is OKish

 

At any rate, I think that the price for a 2080Ti far exceeds what an amateur at 3D Modelling will be able to unlock so maybe that's a bit too much.

 

If you can bear with this noob... what do you think? :D



SuedKAT #7 Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:42 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,692
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

Overall a nice system, the only thing that pops out though is the RAM I would aim for 32GB rather than 16GB, I upgraded my own laptop from 16GB to 32GB a while ago and it was quite the difference in my line of work and the same applies to 3D Modelling, regarding GPU the 2060-80 are still great cards and even 1080 or 1080ti's (still expensive though) is enough depending on how serious you're planing to go.

 

Here is a good read regarding the subject:

https://www.cgdirector.com/best-computer-3d-modeling-rendering/ 



WindSplitter1 #8 Posted Yesterday, 11:46 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 18452 battles
  • 2,907
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM
  • Member since:
    02-07-2016

View PostSuedKAT, on 17 April 2019 - 07:42 PM, said:

Overall a nice system, the only thing that pops out though is the RAM I would aim for 32GB rather than 16GB, I upgraded my own laptop from 16GB to 32GB a while ago and it was quite the difference in my line of work and the same applies to 3D Modelling, regarding GPU the 2060-80 are still great cards and even 1080 or 1080ti's (still expensive though) is enough depending on how serious you're planing to go.

 

Here is a good read regarding the subject:

https://www.cgdirector.com/best-computer-3d-modeling-rendering/ 

 

Good stuff.

 

It was just what I needed. The Intel build they mentioned has the exact same M.2 SSD I have gotten :D

Might have to reconsider the CPU, though. The presence or absence of that "K" might actually be worth spending the extra eurobucks. Thank you both :D



SuedKAT #9 Posted Today, 06:00 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,692
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

View PostWindSplitter1, on 18 April 2019 - 11:46 PM, said:

 

Good stuff.

 

It was just what I needed. The Intel build they mentioned has the exact same M.2 SSD I have gotten :D

Might have to reconsider the CPU, though. The presence or absence of that "K" might actually be worth spending the extra eurobucks. Thank you both :D

 

I switched my old M.2 drive for a 970 Evo Plus a couple of months ago and paired it with an 860 QVO, such a nice experience :)

The K version is nice, but only if you intend to actually overclock it and if you go down that route you most likely need to reconsider your cooling solution, otherwise you'll most likely end up with a thermal throttling CPU and then you're better of sticking with the none K version, then again with future proofing in mind it's always something you can "fix" later on if you feel the need to.

 

I've had systems with both the 8700 and the K version in the past and both are among the best CPU's I've ever used in my life, so really nice choice I must say! :)



1ncompetenc3 #10 Posted Today, 08:03 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 37804 battles
  • 11,603
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013

I'd go for the K model, slap a decent cooler on there, delid if you're feeling adventurous. Overclocking unlocked CPUs is easy enough even if you've never done it.

That RAM though... 3000MHz CL18 is not great. Then again that can also be overclocked, takes some more time if you want to do it right though.

 

One word of caution, which probably only applies when you're overclocking everything you can but I thought I'd mention it anyway: I initially used a 650 watt PSU in my system (Seasonic Focus+ gold 650) which turned out to be insufficient when I exchanged my 3 weeks old RTX2080 for an RTX2080ti (because apparently I get reverse buyer's remorse, feeling I haven't spent enough :D). Rest of my system is an 8086K @ 5.1ghz, 16gb Ripjaws V @ 3600 16-19-19-28, 1x Samsung EVO 960 250gb, 2x Samsung EVO 860 2tb on a Z370 Taichi. The 2080ti is clocked so that core clock stays around 2040-2070mhz depending on what's going on with VRAM at 8059mhz (in Afterburner, different programs show memory speed differently).

Total power draw never exceeded 600 watts from the wall but the system would randomly reboot when playing resource-intensive games which it had never done before changing videocards. Swapped the PSU for the 850 watt version of the same model and haven't had a problem since. I'm guessing the amperage on the 12v rail didn't cut it, this was 54 amps on the 650 watt PSU and it's 70 on the 850 watt PSU I'm using now. Thought I'd mention this in case you're getting a 2080ti and overclocking everything.

Edited by 1ncompetenc3, Today, 08:06 AM.





2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users