• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

toldjah #1 Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11140 battles

Yo, what's up?

Hope you're all doing well!

I used to spend a lot of my time playing this game, and recently I came back to World of Tanks only to find that there's 2000 countries, a million tanks, amazing graphics and physics and tanks that have adjustable suspension!!

The game has changed a lot since I last played it and I want to get back into it, can someone give me a rundown of what's changed and also a good place to refresh myself on how the game is played (things like how camo, spotting, hull-down, penetration, modules & sidescraping works.) I feel very out of date and don't know most of the tanks weak-spots or guns. (The TS-5 seems to be particularly popular and tough to kill)

I started out in 2011, and stopped playing in 2015 (update 0.9.7), so anything since the introduction of the french auto-loaders needs covering.

Also if there are any tank trees and lines which really are worth working my way through now then I'd appreciate knowing about it.

My current garage is the following (more or less):

T54, T34 (prem), M4A1 revolauoirise, T32, T71, T21, KV-4, IS-6, T-50-2, Chaffee, T37, Jagdpz IV, ISU-152, T29, KV-1, Panther, Hellcat, S-51, Tiger 2, PZ 1 C, Leopard.

and others which I can't remember right now.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Edited by toldjah, 16 April 2019 - 02:44 PM.

AXIS_OF_RESISTANCE #2 Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 1988 battles
  • [Y-] Y-

(The TS-5 seems to be particularly popular and tough to kill)

:teethhappy:

XxKuzkina_MatxX #3 Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:52 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 53200 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

You can read all about the changes here...

https://worldoftanks.../release-notes/

Welcome back! ;)

Fibonachi #4 Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 28272 battles
  • [FREEP] FREEP

Go for Obj.430U. 

Arty got nerfed hard. They now do much less damage with much bigger splash that "stuns" you and decreases all your stats for 10-30s. Imagine playing with 50% crew.

EVERYONE fires gold. Even top tier heavy vs bottom light tanks. So play accordingly.

See patch 1.5 notes for more new stuff.

Tankistu #5 Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27906 battles
  • [ROKKT] ROKKT

toldjah #6 Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11140 battles

View PostFibonachi, on 16 April 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

Go for Obj.430U. 

Arty got nerfed hard. They now do much less damage with much bigger splash that "stuns" you and decreases all your stats for 10-30s. Imagine playing with 50% crew.

EVERYONE fires gold. Even top tier heavy vs bottom light tanks. So play accordingly.

See patch 1.5 notes for more new stuff.

I noticed the stunning, but didn't understand why it was there, so that's good, I like that arty nerf solution, it makes sense.

If everyone fires gold then how can you actually earn credits?

I'll check out the Obj. 430U

14:00 Added after 0 minutes

View PostTankistu, on 16 April 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

Hahahah,

Certainly considering it.

Jigabachi #7 Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
What keeps you from reading the patchnotes and simply playing a few matches? That would tell you more than enough and we wouldn't need to squish 4 years into some long posts.

In general, the game got a lot worse, because of the general balance and the overall mapdesign, but we also got a few interesting tanks and the game looks quite nice now.

1ncompetenc3 #8 Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37881 battles

Lights and arty go up to tier X now, arty will now ensure your crew is full potato half the battle, premium tanks being outright better than their tech tree peers is a-okay now, meta has shifted in favour of heavily armoured, high alpha corridor fighters, frontal weak spots aren't necessarily a thing any more, there are wheeled vehicles for some idiotic reason, and powercreep proceeds to crap on older vehicles with every new tech tree that makes it into the game.

Have fun. :P

toldjah #9 Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11140 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 16 April 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

What keeps you from reading the patchnotes and simply playing a few matches? That would tell you more than enough and we wouldn't need to squish 4 years into some long posts.

In general, the game got a lot worse, because of the general balance and the overall mapdesign, but we also got a few interesting tanks and the game looks quite nice now.

I've watched some videos and looked over the patch-notes, been through the tech tree and played matches for a few days, but still don't understand some of the missions, premium modules, blueprints, competitive battles etc. I'd just like to know what's worth looking more into since there is so much new stuff! some of it looks a bit crate/pack-like which is a shame.

I see what you're saying though and yes I am being lazy by asking you guys.

Also I thought that the new matchmaking was better? I've only heard positive things so far?? 

14:12 Added after 1 minute

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 16 April 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

Lights and arty go up to tier X now, arty will now ensure your crew is full potato half the battle, premium tanks being outright better than their tech tree peers is a-okay now, meta has shifted in favour of heavily armoured, high alpha corridor fighters, frontal weak spots aren't necessarily a thing any more, there are wheeled vehicles for some idiotic reason, and powercreep proceeds to crap on older vehicles with every new tech tree that makes it into the game.

Have fun. :P

Now this is what I needed to hear, but not what I wanted to hear...

Hopefully it really isn't as grim as the picture that you paint.

All good points so thank you.

OIias_of_Sunhillow #10 Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:12 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 25570 battles

View Posttoldjah, on 16 April 2019 - 01:42 PM, said:

Yo, what's up?

Hope you're all doing well!

I used to spend a lot of my time playing this game, and recently I came back to World of Tanks only to find that there's 2000 countries, a million tanks, amazing graphics and physics and tanks that have adjustable suspension!!

..and 32 genders.  :teethhappy:

1ncompetenc3 #11 Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37881 battles

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 16 April 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

..and 32 genders.  :teethhappy:

Come to think of it, where the hell are my transgender crews? WG y u no woke?

Geno1isme #12 Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:15 PM

General

• Player
  • 45880 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View Posttoldjah, on 16 April 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

If everyone fires gold then how can you actually earn credits?

Premiumtanks+Premiumaccount+Creditboosters allow you to earn a few million credits per evening without problems. WG has increased the number of marathons were people can get free (or at least cheap) premium tanks signifcantly since last year, the TS-5 being the latest one (that's why it seems popular at the moment).

toldjah #13 Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:17 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11140 battles

View PostGeno1isme, on 16 April 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

Premiumtanks+Premiumaccount+Creditboosters allow you to earn a few million credits per evening without problems. WG has increased the number of marathons were people can get free (or at least cheap) premium tanks signifcantly since last year, the TS-5 being the latest one (that's why it seems popular at the moment).

Ahhh I see, I did randomly get a free 6 hours of premium last night and I have no idea how, also I see these exp and credit boosters popping up, I guess they're hidden somewhere in my depot? and I can activate them whenever... right?

1ncompetenc3 #14 Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:24 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37881 battles

View Posttoldjah, on 16 April 2019 - 03:17 PM, said:

Ahhh I see, I did randomly get a free 6 hours of premium last night and I have no idea how, also I see these exp and credit boosters popping up, I guess they're hidden somewhere in my depot? and I can activate them whenever... right?

Correct, click your name in the garage (top left) and you can activate up to three personal reserves (boosters). Keep in mind that you can only have one of each active at the time meaning one for vehicle XP, one for crew XP etc, so you can't activate a 100% vehicle XP bonus alongside a 200% vehicle XP bonus for instance.

toldjah #15 Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11140 battles

View PostGeno1isme, on 16 April 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

Also how exactly are people getting millions of credits in a night? because I am certainly not achieving that kind of yield :D

I think I looked into it and half a year of prem account is like £14 so I don't mind doing that and then using boosters whenever I get them, so if that's all i have to do then sweet! I might finally get to Tier 10 without losing 30k credits from every battle.

14:26 Added after 0 minutes

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 16 April 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

Correct, click your name in the garage (top left) and you can activate up to three personal reserves (boosters). Keep in mind that you can only have one of each active at the time meaning one for vehicle XP, one for crew XP etc, so you can't activate a 100% vehicle XP bonus alongside a 200% vehicle XP bonus for instance.

Ahh nice, thanks! I bet I've got loads of them stored up, I've been getting one every 2 or 3 games for the last few days, so I'll get back on it.

Geno1isme #16 Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:44 PM

General

• Player
  • 45880 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View Posttoldjah, on 16 April 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

Also how exactly are people getting millions of credits in a night? because I am certainly not achieving that kind of yield :D

All combined (that's the key) you should make 50k+ profit per battle even when not playing very well. So in a 2-3h evening session 1-2 million credits are very doable.

View Posttoldjah, on 16 April 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

Also I thought that the new matchmaking was better? I've only heard positive things so far??

"New" is relative: The template system that WG introduced in 0.9.18 is heavily disliked for various reasons (mainly because people are very rarely top tier). Recently WG made some minor adjustments that were mostly well-received, but the underlying concept (templates) is still broken.

toldjah #17 Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11140 battles

Is there anything else I should know about that hasn't been covered?

I used to watch QuickyBaby and The Mighty Jingles, are those guys still relevant or are there other youtubers which are better for learning to improve?

I used to occasionally play clan wars (I think it was called that) and IS-3's were super popular, is there any other type of competitive or realistic battle mode? and if so should I bother with it or stick to standard?

Cheers for all of the responses so far chaps!

14:48 Added after 4 minutes

View PostGeno1isme, on 16 April 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

All combined (that's the key) you should make 50k+ profit per battle even when not playing very well. So in a 2-3h evening session 1-2 million credits are very doable.

"New" is relative: The template system that WG introduced in 0.9.18 is heavily disliked for various reasons (mainly because people are very rarely top tier). Recently WG made some minor adjustments that were mostly well-received, but the underlying concept (templates) is still broken.

I can see how a few million a night is possible, especially playing Premium tanks or tier 5's

I won't ask you to explain about the matchmaking templates, but I heard in a video that superheavies would be matched against each other and likewise for superheavy TD's, if you have light tanks then they'll have light tanks etc. but I don't really see how that's different.

One thing I have noticed is that I'm rarely waiting for more than 10 secs for a match and that XVM usually rates the teams very very close to each other, so it's good that they're balancing games by skill as well as tank tier/type.

Laiskamato #18 Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 47188 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 16 April 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

This is all you had to post, nothing else nothing more.

smp99 #19 Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22521 battles
Since update 1.0, this game became crapnumber 1, many times when i press Forward, my tank just stops moving, losing momentum, and getting killed. Im just tired of this massive bug, that WG does nothing to fix, coz they just dont care.  So i just dont care anymore and delete it.

pecopad #20 Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26412 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View Posttoldjah, on 16 April 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Is there anything else I should know about that hasn't been covered?

I used to watch QuickyBaby and The Mighty Jingles, are those guys still relevant or are there other youtubers which are better for learning to improve?

I used to occasionally play clan wars (I think it was called that) and IS-3's were super popular, is there any other type of competitive or realistic battle mode? and if so should I bother with it or stick to standard?

Cheers for all of the responses so far chaps!

14:48 Added after 4 minutes

I can see how a few million a night is possible, especially playing Premium tanks or tier 5's

I won't ask you to explain about the matchmaking templates, but I heard in a video that superheavies would be matched against each other and likewise for superheavy TD's, if you have light tanks then they'll have light tanks etc. but I don't really see how that's different.

One thing I have noticed is that I'm rarely waiting for more than 10 secs for a match and that XVM usually rates the teams very very close to each other, so it's good that they're balancing games by skill as well as tank tier/type.

No you wont make millions on tier 5's, nor with premiums, in a night. Not unless you are a very good player. 

Credit income for the average player has been substantially reduced, armor buffs, makes it hard to have those >80K a game, net with premium time in a premium tank.

Buy your consumables and equipment when they are in promotion (50% Off)

Do the missions so you can get the female crews and use them in your new grinds.

Play the M44 for credits

Play Derp tier 5's - M4, Kv, Wolverine, Gr1, etc they are fun with a good crew and will make you credits

Do not  buy premium account nor premium tanks, you do not need them, they will end-up giving you one for free.

Grinding credits and grinding tier 9 tanks is still the core of the grinding game, but don't get caught (like I did) in this scam.

To get back in the game, I would go and grind the Italian line, if you are into Meds and they are quite good.

Edited by pecopad, 16 April 2019 - 04:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users