Pros & Cons of chat turned on.

Chat

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Toni112007 #21 Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11109 battles
I like telling team mates how much they suck in this game and blame them for losing. Also I like spamming clicking on the map.

nakkipeppu #22 Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32666 battles
  • [LGGF] LGGF

I liked the command wheel in BF2, if was very intuitive, powerful and made chat completely redundant.

Basically, you just pointed at something, pushed down the command key and chose one of few commands from the menu with a little mouse nudge. Then, a marker would appear on all your squadmates screens with icon depicting what you wanted to inform. Move here, enemies here, defend that position etc. You could pretty much micromanage a team of 6 through a city with just clicking, everybody knew where ppl were supposed to go from here, and what we were doing, without a single word in chat. We're going to climb that hill, get that flag, steal that car and then bugger the **** off.

With 15 people (instead just platoon leader on team of 6) map could be cluttered, but something similar could work here kind of like the arty target marker. Clicking map squares doesn't work, but seeing the actual skull icon on the actual bush you mean (instead of general 50x50 area). "Attention at D4 !" Attention to what ? Is there a enemy ? Do I need to move there ? Is the tree pretty ?

Click on a bush "danger here", put few quick clicks through a valley with move icon, "we're going through here". Let the icons stay for 10 seconds just to convey your point. No typing required, no language barriers. Maybe restrict the visibility of the icons to teammates at 50% of your radio range to make it mean something.

Edit : Ok, this was more complicated than I remembered. I must've had quite a hand-eye coordination to navigate that back in the day.

Just copy the feature, Move Here, Attack this position, Defend here, Danger !, Need Artillery, Need spot here. The marker would always drop at whatever you were pointing at the time, once you got hang of it, you'd learn to communicate your thoughts through muscle memory alone.

Edited by nakkipeppu, 17 April 2019 - 07:26 PM.

MeNoobTank #23 Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15156 battles
  • [GT_WC] GT_WC

We already have that kind of menu if you press Z ? or Q ? I cannot remember the key but it is there. They just need to add a few options in there.

BTW BF2 looks so bad ? I know it is a 2005 game but I remember a way better graphics . BTW it was the last good Battlefield game imo. BF3 sucks, BF4 had potential of being a better BF3 but still suck, and the others are just not BF anymore

Edited by MeNoobTank, 17 April 2019 - 07:43 PM.

SuedKAT #24 Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:30 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostMeNoobTank, on 17 April 2019 - 07:42 PM, said:

We already have that kind of menu if you press Z ? or Q ? I cannot remember the key but it is there. They just need to add a few options in there.

BTW BF2 looks so bad ? I know it is a 2005 game but I remember a way better graphics . BTW it was the last good Battlefield game imo. BF3 sucks, BF4 had potential of being a better BF3 but still suck, and the others are just not BF anymore

It's Z by default and it open this radial menu:

The commands are different depending on if you're targeting nothing, an ally or an enemy, apart from that there is also the T key which is used for the "Target" command as well as for arty to display were they are aiming on the ground (if no enemy tank is highlighted). 

lnfernaI #25 Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:09 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31179 battles

View PostRati_Festa, on 17 April 2019 - 02:06 PM, said:

I never get that insult..... is that a "you" thing?

Half the insults wouldn't appear if XVM is removed from matches also.

It generally comes from the immature unicum elite,but rarely.

XVM isn't bad by itself,just the stats themselves.

Bordhaw #26 Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:10 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13572 battles

View PostlnfernaI, on 17 April 2019 - 06:44 AM, said:

Pros & Cons of chat turned on.

In game chat....I think I remember that...once.

Back when I thought Team-Chat came after the Bat-Chat in the French tech tree. 

lnfernaI #27 Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31179 battles

View PostBordhaw, on 17 April 2019 - 10:10 PM, said:

In game chat....I think I remember that...once.

Back when I thought Team-Chat came after the Bat-Chat in the French tech tree. 

for some reason my affliction towards you is chaotic evil & chaotic good at the same time.

chinchillah #28 Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:14 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27373 battles

Don't get it why people would disable the chat.. I personally like to write with others during phases where the game slowing down or at the start of a battle. 

That's why I prefer playing games on PC there is just more communication even with random peeps. 

nakkipeppu #29 Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:13 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32666 battles
  • [LGGF] LGGF

View PostSuedKAT, on 17 April 2019 - 09:30 PM, said:

The commands are different depending on if you're targeting nothing, an ally or an enemy, apart from that there is also the T key which is used for the "Target" command as well as for arty to display were they are aiming on the ground (if no enemy tank is highlighted). 

We are kinda halfway there, but the part that makes BF2 different is you can actually point at objects, and have them visible in other players view (not just map, but actual pointer at the location you pointed at).

In Wot, you just get spam of "HELP!" "ATTACK", that blinks the tank giving the order. It doesn't really help allies *at all* to figure out what's going on. Quite a few people in this game apparently need help, and usually it's with an issue that their fellow gamers can't help them with. 

I guess what I'm getting at here, that if these functions were more developed, we wouldn't really even need the chat apart from getting to tell everybody that Tiger was the best tank of WW2, or to inquire if there are actually other people from whatever country you're from in match right now, or ask if the color of your wang is something you should be worried about.

SuedKAT #30 Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:49 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postnakkipeppu, on 17 April 2019 - 11:13 PM, said:

We are kinda halfway there, but the part that makes BF2 different is you can actually point at objects, and have them visible in other players view (not just map, but actual pointer at the location you pointed at).

In Wot, you just get spam of "HELP!" "ATTACK", that blinks the tank giving the order. It doesn't really help allies *at all* to figure out what's going on. Quite a few people in this game apparently need help, and usually it's with an issue that their fellow gamers can't help them with. 

I guess what I'm getting at here, that if these functions were more developed, we wouldn't really even need the chat apart from getting to tell everybody that Tiger was the best tank of WW2, or to inquire if there are actually other people from whatever country you're from in match right now, or ask if the color of your wang is something you should be worried about.

As I wrote if depending on what you highlight you get different options and if you for example highlight an enemy T-34 and select the attack command you get "Attack target T-34" written in chat in the language you and all others have set their client, You can also for example highlight an allied tank and use the same menu to have commands like "Allied tank Hellcat retreat" or Allied tank Ferdinand follow me" and for the player in question that you've highlighted the text in chat have a different colour to make it stand out more and it's also displayed in his/her language and depending on what command you use there might also be an icon on the minmap and/or above you or your target.

Here is a video from Lemmingrush I just watched:

At 04:36 or so he moves his mouse over his allies and use the fall back command on two of his allies, he don't use the radial menu but rather hotkeys instead but both works.

The ones spamming "Help" or "Attack" simply don't know how to use yet another function/mechanic in WoT, not much you can do for them. You could for example use the commands to highlight two allies next to you and select "Follow me" and they will see that in their language in their chat highlighted in a different color, they will also see icons pop up on the minimap to even further make it obvious and then you can highlight an enemy and press "Attack target tank X" and they can press either Affirmative or Negative to confirm it.

Didn't really find any up to date video, or rather any decent video at all showing it of but here is one:

4nt #31 Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:51 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26840 battles

View PostSuedKAT, on 17 April 2019 - 08:30 PM, said:

Yep but when compared to bf2 or ro2 command wheels it is quite useless thing. Could very well be one of real QOL dev targets rather than more tanks!

Homer_J #32 Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31398 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postnakkipeppu, on 17 April 2019 - 11:13 PM, said:

In Wot, you just get spam of "HELP!" "ATTACK", that blinks the tank giving the order. It doesn't really help allies *at all* to figure out what's going on.

Those are the non targetted commands.

If you use "fall back", "follow me", etc. then it highlights the target subject.

SuedKAT #33 Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:23 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post4nt, on 18 April 2019 - 06:51 AM, said:

Yep but when compared to bf2 or ro2 command wheels it is quite useless thing. Could very well be one of real QOL dev targets rather than more tanks!

So what more functionality would you want from it, you basically have all commands at your fingertip that you would ever need. I can only think of one single command that needs to be implemented and that the "SOS I've flipped", it can even use the same SOS signal on the minimap that Help do, just need a different written command. 

Jumping_Turtle #34 Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:48 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 65904 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostRati_Festa, on 17 April 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

Half the insults wouldn't appear if XVM is removed from matches also.

I see plenty of complaining, cursing, shouting and toxicity during the current Frontline battles.  Doesnt even seem any less than in random battles.

4nt #35 Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26840 battles

View PostSuedKAT, on 18 April 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

So what more functionality would you want from it, you basically have all commands at your fingertip that you would ever need. I can only think of one single command that needs to be implemented and that the "SOS I've flipped", it can even use the same SOS signal on the minimap that Help do, just need a different written command. 

Hm. One thing I'd like would be 'attack (here)', 'defend (here)' on pointing ground. And yea, 'SOS flipped/stuck' would be nice too. As is, current 'attack' and 'defend' are just spam as they can't be directed.

SuedKAT #36 Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:36 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post4nt, on 18 April 2019 - 05:17 PM, said:

Hm. One thing I'd like would be 'attack (here)', 'defend (here)' on pointing ground. And yea, 'SOS flipped/stuck' would be nice too. As is, current 'attack' and 'defend' are just spam as they can't be directed.

Well if you highlight an enemy tank and press attack you get "Attack tank X located here" so they can be directed, but if there is nothing spotted in that location you can just press attack and then follow up with a map ping in the area you intend to attack, however I guess that could be streamlined into pressing attack and then getting the option to place a marker on the location you intend to attack. Then again you have to consider the player-base and the nature of the game, granting players the ability to put down markers etc can quite quickly get out of hand and result in a worse situation than the current map ping spammers, it didn't for example take long after XVM added a similar feature for people to start drawing all kinds of "stuff" on the minimap rather than using it for it's intended use and I don't think the support team want even more replays to look at just since someone drew a penls on the minimap.

Dorander #37 Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:39 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20359 battles

Pros:

- Occasionally useful team communication

- Sometimes funny jokes

- Sometimes unintentially funny noobs

Cons:

- Automated addon spam

- Toxicity from frustrated/entitled players

- Useless messages

barison1 #38 Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41657 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

while chat can be the occasional toxic and spammed at with useless pings etc i have encountered nice chats with teammates aswell and actual good communications that won the game

Also tagged with Chat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users