Jump to content


The Struggles Of A Stock Tank Grind


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:54 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 30631 battles
  • 5,741
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

Hi all

 

I recently took on the Italian line to grind and currently with the T8 Pantera but so far it's just been the most terrible rain of losses as a stock and semi-stock stock tank. But can you guys explain if it's just a case of bad luck or is me using a tank that's not at it's very best offering, REALLY that influential to the result in a game where I have 14 other teammates and I am typically just a bottom tier tank anyway? 

 

Sure, we all know stock tanks are simply not as good as the fully unlocked versions, stock guns are usually bad with bad pen, bad aim times etc, stock turrets can be a little down in view range, traverse, armor and sometimes hurt gun handling too... with a tank like the Pantera I can say all of that is true and it also gets hurt with having just 2 shells instead of 3 per mag, -6 gun dep instead of -8 and of course the stock engine makes this really a different tank to how I can imagine it's going to be since it currently moves more like a heavy tank but it's not actually terrible, it's workable imo. 

 

 



Kozzy #2 Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:57 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 42114 battles
  • 3,182
  • [RINSE] RINSE
  • Member since:
    06-29-2011
Put your last 10 replays of the tank on WoT replays and place the links up here.  People will soon be along with some advice.

SuedKAT #3 Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:01 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,990
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014
Grinding stock tanks these days is horrible in my opinion, with the 3-5-7 or even the new MM you're either a burden to your team when your top tier since you're basically driving around with a tank that's one tier lower or worse in most cases due to it's mobility and/or gun, or when you're bottom tier you're in the complete mercy of your top tiers carrying you since you most of the time lack the pen, damage, mobility or a combination of all three to effectively have much impact in the match. I would personally never grind any tank above tier 5 stock, free XP boosters etc are your friend.

pallie_the_artillerist #4 Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:02 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 20304 battles
  • 1,386
  • [JBAIT] JBAIT
  • Member since:
    01-12-2013
There's not much advice to give, stock tanks, by design, are torment. You're basically playing a T7 tank in T8-10 matchmaking. People can give general advice on how to play better, but this would be applicable in any situation where you're the underdog.

Hedgehog1963 #5 Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:08 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 54362 battles
  • 7,858
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011
Stock tanks being bad is a built in method of trying to get you to spend money on free XP conversion to unlock the top modules. The worse the stock tank the greater the desire to spend.

VarzA #6 Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:10 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 26311 battles
  • 1,998
  • [USAGI] USAGI
  • Member since:
    06-17-2011

View PostTungstenHitman, on 17 April 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

Hi all

 

I recently took on the Italian line to grind and currently with the T8 Pantera but so far it's just been the most terrible rain of losses as a stock and semi-stock stock tank. But can you guys explain if it's just a case of bad luck or is me using a tank that's not at it's very best offering, REALLY that influential to the result in a game where I have 14 other teammates and I am typically just a bottom tier tank anyway? 

 

Sure, we all know stock tanks are simply not as good as the fully unlocked versions, stock guns are usually bad with bad pen, bad aim times etc, stock turrets can be a little down in view range, traverse, armor and sometimes hurt gun handling too... with a tank like the Pantera I can say all of that is true and it also gets hurt with having just 2 shells instead of 3 per mag, -6 gun dep instead of -8 and of course the stock engine makes this really a different tank to how I can imagine it's going to be since it currently moves more like a heavy tank but it's not actually terrible, it's workable imo. 

 

 

 

Yeah, stock tanks suck. This is how the game is designed, to frustrate you into paying.

 

I'm currently grinding the AMX 30 proto and i got the 105mm at the 40 battle mark. :(


Edited by VarzA, 17 April 2019 - 10:11 AM.


Quint_Gen #7 Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:19 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 18018 battles
  • 168
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    12-22-2016

View PostTungstenHitman, on 17 April 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

Hi all

 

I recently took on the Italian line to grind and currently with the T8 Pantera but so far it's just been the most terrible rain of losses as a stock and semi-stock stock tank. But can you guys explain if it's just a case of bad luck or is me using a tank that's not at it's very best offering, REALLY that influential to the result in a game where I have 14 other teammates and I am typically just a bottom tier tank anyway? 

 

Sure, we all know stock tanks are simply not as good as the fully unlocked versions, stock guns are usually bad with bad pen, bad aim times etc, stock turrets can be a little down in view range, traverse, armor and sometimes hurt gun handling too... with a tank like the Pantera I can say all of that is true and it also gets hurt with having just 2 shells instead of 3 per mag, -6 gun dep instead of -8 and of course the stock engine makes this really a different tank to how I can imagine it's going to be since it currently moves more like a heavy tank but it's not actually terrible, it's workable imo. 

 

 

 

You might feel this is down to stock tanks but I think chance is the most likely cause here. Your WN8 for the last 24 hours is pretty much your recent WN8 suggesting you are still causing lots of damage. Bad luck is what has killed your WN8 which over 32 games is going to happen from time to time.

Edited by Quint_Gen, 17 April 2019 - 10:29 AM.


BSHDBCG #8 Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:20 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 6079 battles
  • 939
  • Member since:
    04-20-2015
Well currently you could grind it in FL, that would at least make it a little better as then it only face same tier.

AlphaBot_ #9 Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:22 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 1999 battles
  • 383
  • Member since:
    02-03-2019
if i could not afford to pay for exp and avoid stock playing i would not play this game because this is so annoying

Edited by _RNG, 17 April 2019 - 10:22 AM.


Steeleye_Spam #10 Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:22 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 34356 battles
  • 368
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-31-2014

Well, in terms of win rate, this can just happen. In terms of stock grind - yes some are much worse than others. I'm just finishing the Pantera now, and I didn't find the grind to module up that bad ( although I may have partially free xp ed some of it). tBH I find the fully researched tank very situational. It has a big profile with no armour, so any mistakes you make send you back to the garage. It can really shine when top tier, or in the end game if you survive that far. It won't be a keeper for me, even though I've mostly enjoyed playing it.

 



Balc0ra #11 Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 72692 battles
  • 20,640
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

It was a tricky tier 8 stock. But far from the worst tier 8 med I've done. Stock gun pen is bad, but the 2nd gun doesn't take too many battles if you do a daily here and there. 2 round on the stock turret was an issue. But if you play it like a single fire tank and only use the first one most of the time going for tracks. It's less bad in a support role. But my issue with it was the engines. The 300 hp difference between stock and elite was something you did notice on the more hilly maps. So getting to key spots early was an issue too. 

 

But I had a good crew in mine from the start. And with optics it was not far off 440m with the stock turret. So I farmed assist as much as I did damage most games. 

 

But play it in FL with boosters. If you focus on base reset and cap. You get ranks, and the more rank the more bonus XP you get. Should not be an issue to get 2 to 4K even on a bad stock tank pr game with premium and boosters.


Edited by Balc0ra, 17 April 2019 - 10:28 AM.


BR33K1_PAWAH #12 Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 6467 battles
  • 1,413
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    04-11-2018

View PostTungstenHitman, on 17 April 2019 - 11:54 AM, said:

But can you guys explain if it's just a case of bad luck

 

Yes.



VarzA #13 Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:12 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 26311 battles
  • 1,998
  • [USAGI] USAGI
  • Member since:
    06-17-2011

View PostBalc0ra, on 17 April 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

It was a tricky tier 8 stock. But far from the worst tier 8 med I've done. Stock gun pen is bad, but the 2nd gun doesn't take too many battles if you do a daily here and there. 2 round on the stock turret was an issue. But if you play it like a single fire tank and only use the first one most of the time going for tracks. It's less bad in a support role. But my issue with it was the engines. The 300 hp difference between stock and elite was something you did notice on the more hilly maps. So getting to key spots early was an issue too. 

 

But I had a good crew in mine from the start. And with optics it was not far off 440m with the stock turret. So I farmed assist as much as I did damage most games. 

 

But play it in FL with boosters. If you focus on base reset and cap. You get ranks, and the more rank the more bonus XP you get. Should not be an issue to get 2 to 4K even on a bad stock tank pr game with premium and boosters.

 

That huge hp/t and mobility difference reminds me of the Skoda T50 or VK 30.01 P grinds.

Horrible h/t stock, but amazing when fully upgraded.

 

With the italian grind i am at the t7, fully upgraded it atm and the tank still kinda sucks (mostly pen at range and gun handling).

But looking at how skill4ltu played the P.44 pantera for 100% on russian server ... damn, that mobility. :)

 

Also, Tungsten ... 6 months ago i was still 50-51% recent winrate, i had a jump recently in the past few months at 56-57%, even after taking into account bad streaks ...

I am saying this to understand that i still get cursed tanks, tanks were regardless of what i do, i feel i can't win.

For me those are Comet, IS, Challenger (i think i am cursed with british tanks in general), Leo (had 30% at one point) and more recently ... AMX 30 Proto.


Edited by VarzA, 17 April 2019 - 11:19 AM.


Cobra6 #14 Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:31 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16506 battles
  • 17,397
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

As an experiment, I ground the Protopard (PTA) entirely from stock without using free XP in the process. Winratio 43% while my regular WR is ~59/60%.

Still haven't recovered my PTA stats from that ordeal although they've risen since then.

 

Says enough.

 

Cobra 6



Ggorc #15 Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 7158 battles
  • 135
  • Member since:
    08-30-2017

The game is harsh on grinding so you have to use free xp, gold conversion etc to get rid of it and obtain what you want. Especially the last chunk of xp will be hard. Greedy goblin also wrote a pretty big article about game manipulation some time ago. Only after you fully unlock a tank will get out of this.

 

I just open multiple lines and play x2 x5 once a day than play a premium or a tank that I enjoy and not for wining or making xp.


Edited by Ggorc, 17 April 2019 - 11:43 AM.


gunslingerXXX #16 Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 12734 battles
  • 3,295
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
  • Member since:
    11-16-2014

Its rigged.

And no, I don't want to elaborate on that.



jabster #17 Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:18 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12721 battles
  • 25,703
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostGgorc, on 17 April 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

The game is harsh on grinding so you have to use free xp, gold conversion etc to get rid of it and obtain what you want. Especially the last chunk of xp will be hard. Greedy goblin also wrote a pretty big article about game manipulation some time ago. Only after you fully unlock a tank will get out of this.

 

I just open multiple lines and play x2 x5 once a day than play a premium or a tank that I enjoy and not for wining or making xp.

 

Greedy Guy blin wrote lots of things about WoT it’s just a shame they couldn’t base it on some sort of reality.

FTR #18 Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:47 PM

    Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 16049 battles
  • 297
  • Member since:
    08-03-2010

I will never spend money this game so I am usually forced to grind them stock and without premium and honestly it's horrible experience. I think that's the reason why I left wot few years ago for few years, because grinding stock tanks just takes away all the fun.

 

They should really let us grind free experience quicker. Right now if you want to max like tier 8 or 9 vehicle with free experience without prem it would take like thousand battles...

 

I think people should just.. stick to vehicles they have instead of grinding new ones. I really started to limit my grind as much as possible. Not only you gonna have better crews, more experience with those vehicles but also gonna play stock tanks less.


Edited by FTR, 17 April 2019 - 12:52 PM.


jimbobjammybob #19 Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 620 battles
  • 261
  • [TH1NK] TH1NK
  • Member since:
    12-28-2015

View PostTungstenHitman, on 17 April 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

Hi all

 

I recently took on the Italian line to grind and currently with the T8 Pantera but so far it's just been the most terrible rain of losses as a stock and semi-stock stock tank. But can you guys explain if it's just a case of bad luck or is me using a tank that's not at it's very best offering, REALLY that influential to the result in a game where I have 14 other teammates and I am typically just a bottom tier tank anyway? 

 

Sure, we all know stock tanks are simply not as good as the fully unlocked versions, stock guns are usually bad with bad pen, bad aim times etc, stock turrets can be a little down in view range, traverse, armor and sometimes hurt gun handling too... with a tank like the Pantera I can say all of that is true and it also gets hurt with having just 2 shells instead of 3 per mag, -6 gun dep instead of -8 and of course the stock engine makes this really a different tank to how I can imagine it's going to be since it currently moves more like a heavy tank but it's not actually terrible, it's workable imo. 

 

 

 

I am also grinding pantera from stock, in frontlines.... tip of the day!

Balc0ra #20 Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 72692 battles
  • 20,640
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

View PostFTR, on 17 April 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

I will never spend money this game so I am usually forced to grind them stock and without premium and honestly it's horrible experience. I think that's the reason why I left wot few years ago for few years, because grinding stock tanks just takes away all the fun.

 

They should really let us grind free experience quicker. Right now if you want to max like tier 8 or 9 vehicle with free experience without prem it would take like thousand battles...

 

That's why you never waste your Free XP unless you really have to. And play with the free XP personal reserves often if you have them. Then again you don't want to promote tier rushing for new players either in terms of making it easier to get free XP tbh. As they push them up to a free tier 6 as is in less than 20 games via the new tutorial.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users