Squezing the life out of arties?

arty update

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Hechaton #1 Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:44 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 50120 battles

So WG is planing to nerf arty at the next patch.

It seems to me WG is trying to slowy squeze the life out of the arties similar to squezing the juice out of a lemon.

The arty problem:

• Some players would say it's unfair to get shelled by someone they can't shoot back at.
  • The current arty is of more annoyance that anyting else: Read Stunning

• The artys don't have a great impact in most games. Read: corridors, city maps
  • Most arty players are simply too bad for the class (my opinion).
    • I often get shot by my own artillery when facehugging an enemy. Sometimes killed even.
    • Whereas any other tank in the game has a trajectory compensated sight, the artys don't (for some reason unknown). Taking the trajecotry and terrain sloping in consideration is difficult for new players, making them practically useless on sloped maps. 

What is the role of artys?

Support or annoyance?

Right now I would say annoyance.

Suggestions

• Make arty take the support role once more: remove/reduce the stunning effect, increase accuracy and damage AND limit to 1 or no more than 2 arties pr team.
  • Give arties smoke: How about 2-3 shells with smoke to blind enemy or help retreating?
  • Arties should suffer the same penalty as other tanks when dealing team damage/killing teammates. I have a feeling the tolerance for arties is higher than that of other tank classes. I have in fact never seen an arty player turn blue.
  • Arty tutorial required to "unlock" the arty class?

Edited by Hechaton, 22 April 2019 - 02:15 AM.

1ncompetenc3 #2 Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:50 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38079 battles

POPULAR

They're not squeezing anywhere near hard enough.

Mimos_A #3 Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:52 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27036 battles
  • [SPESH] SPESH

View PostHechaton, on 22 April 2019 - 01:44 AM, said:

So WG is planing to nerf arty at the next patch.

It seems to me WG is trying to slowy squeze the life out of the arties similar to squezing the juice out of a lemon.

One can only hope they squeeze harder.

Next step, get rid of the arty missions.

superfly2000 #4 Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:30 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 79768 battles
  • [SFLY] SFLY

The game in general and arties should be brought back to the early years of the game. Now they are focusing lights and mediums more then heavies.

So its finally a change in the right direction but center circle damage should increase, accuracy even further decreased and shell velocity also decreased. (This is more like old school-arty).

Maps should be opened up and not be corridors. Naps who cannot learn the spotting system should not play this game.

CraftyVeteran #5 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:12 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6317 battles
  • [-B2C-] -B2C-
theres no other class that gets nerfed to the ground wasting all their time and exp and crew exp. I wonder how heavies would feel if their armor got nerfed into the ground and not gold rounds either.

Sfinski #6 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:15 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 34717 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostCraftyVeteran, on 22 April 2019 - 06:12 AM, said:

theres no other class that gets nerfed to the ground wasting all their time and exp and crew exp. I wonder how heavies would feel if their armor got nerfed into the ground and not gold rounds either.

T10 lights got nerfed to the ground before they got even to the live servers.

CraftyVeteran #7 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6317 battles
  • [-B2C-] -B2C-

Suurpolskija #8 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:33 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22028 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

It looks that way, yes. 

Doesn't make any sense, it's not like arty was the top dmg dealer in the first place. Except low tier (which they didn't touch) and some rare long games in open maps. 

Laatikkomafia #9 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:33 AM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 23076 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCraftyVeteran, on 22 April 2019 - 06:12 AM, said:

There is no other class that is as anti-fun, broken and toxic as clickers.

They had it coming.

How terrible.

BR33K1_PAWAH #10 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6455 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSfinski, on 22 April 2019 - 07:15 AM, said:

T10 lights got nerfed to the ground before they got even to the live servers.

Hah, true, true.

1ncompetenc3 #11 Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:36 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38079 battles

View PostCraftyVeteran, on 22 April 2019 - 05:12 AM, said:

I have two tier X arties and I think Bert is still my third most played vehicle overall, and if WG were to remove all SPGs from the game without any compensation I'd consider it the best decision they've made in years.

DonKralleone #12 Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:02 AM

Private

• Player
  • 27811 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

I'm biased because I've never owned a SPG in the game

However, I welcome the change. Also, they should limit their number to 2 instead of 3.

Arty will still be a nuisance, just less so

Tyburn #13 Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:06 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12942 battles
Totally agree with limiting arty to two per battle. They don’t need anymore squeezing.

tajj7 #14 Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27247 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

The changes are minor, we are talking about less ability to stack stun on the same target, a slight reduction (10-15% at best) in splash damage and a slight nerf to splash radius for the most used arties. 

Most players will barely notice IMO. 

Doesn't tackle the fundamental broken issues with arty and people will and should keep complaining about it.

We need to keep hammering arty until they are so useless no one plays them, then we'll have a better game for the majority. There is a tiny minority of hard core arty players that revel in ruining the game for the rest but in reality most people dislike the class and most only play it for missions, so if it was nerfed into oblivion most players would be happy. 

Jigabachi #15 Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:25 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
There is a bit more squeezing needed, arty is still far from being balanced. But I'm sure that WG will squeeze with a big hammer again...
I've lost the hope that they will turn arty into a proper support unit. I even doubt that they will reduce their number per match.

Laiskamato #16 Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:26 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 47719 battles
  • [-SIR] -SIR

View PostCraftyVeteran, on 22 April 2019 - 07:12 AM, said:

There is no other class in the game that doesn't participate in the battle like arty.

You can literally play Facebook games between shots and not pay any attention to the game between shots.

Jigabachi #17 Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:38 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLaiskamato, on 22 April 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

There is no other class in the game that doesn't participate in the battle like arty.

You can literally play Facebook games between shots and not pay any attention to the game between shots.

And how exactly is that a problem?

Laiskamato #18 Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:44 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 47719 battles
  • [-SIR] -SIR

Did you read the quote i was replying?

PowJay #19 Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38156 battles

SPGs have always been a part of the game- at least for longer than I've played. They are a legitimate part of the game. The problem is how to balance them so that those playing them and those on the receiving end still consider them "fair".

For those on the receiving end: being repeatedly hit and seriously damaged by multiple SPGs was a major source of frustration. The nerfs to RoF and accuracy changed that. As an SPG player I once fired almost every round in my Hummel on Malinovka for ZERO hits/damage. I eventually stopped playing SPGs after 8.6.

I guess that SPGs were less popular after 8.6 as players got the message but Personal Missions encouraged some players back to them- me included. I continued to play and grind in order to get more effective SPGs for missions and try to get them out of the way. 

Fortunately for me I finished SPG 15 (3) before stun was introduced and I was done with arty until I used Orders to complete the missions for the T-55a. Then I had to suffer the frustration of the Stun mechanism for the Object.

If I actually manage to hit anything then I would do double figures damage with a tier VIII SPG and stun the HT while the allies managed to do ZERO damage to it.

All I can say is that I was overjoyed to finish SPG 15 (4) and, mostly, be done with playing SPGs. Then they introduced Campaign 2. I've done the primary objectives that require SPGs for the first vehicle. Fortunately I only had UK and US arty left. I bought the SU-8 for counter-battery fire for the PM to damage enemy SPGs and ONLY played for that objective.

Now... I couldn't care less. Unless and until I require an SPG for a mission I will not be playing mine (except possibly for some XP for the M53/55) and as for continuing to research them? Forget it.

As for being on the receiving end. As an SPG player (part time) I know why I don't care about being on the receiving end. I know how largely they are impotent. I know how they are vulnerable. I know how useless they are and if others want or need to continue to play them, I don't care. 

There has been a change of target focus. I won't primarily target enemy HTs unless they are already effectively engaged or threatened by allies. There's no point. So I now target anything light enough to potentially suffer significant damage from my own shots. Ergo, I'm targeting lights and meds as a priority for solo, personal goals and everything else when I have a chance of being useful. 

This is the exact opposite of what SPGs were always supposed to do- as far as I understand it- and it just goes to show how how totally [edited] up the whole thing is.

Nerf them into the ground and let them die and- specifically- get rid of the missions that require them. In a while no-one will want to play them and no-one will care. Either that, or give them back some of their former glory but limit them to ONE per battle.

Edited by PowJay, 23 April 2019 - 01:54 PM.

Blubba #20 Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:53 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 57981 battles

Currently stun is a pain in the neck. 3 is far too many per team. I wish this firm would be a little more dynamic and just run for a month with two per team and then one per team for a month just to see the impact. 

I do however wonder why, for a class that generally has the least impact on the result and fail at various other elements, they are so vilified. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users