The biggest problems of Frontline and my solutions.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Liquiel #1 Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9584 battles
  • [BRAND] BRAND

I have identified a number of problems in Frontline, that many players seem to agree with:

Overpowered consumables: Especially one(Engineering - Attack)

Overpowered vehicle types: There are some vehicles that are much much more powerful than the rest.

Underpowered vehicle types: There are some underpowered vehicle types

1) Overpowered consumables:

Attack - Engineering+fast tanks:

100% cap speed increase is a bit too much if you have three tanks of that type in cap - response time is minimal, that's the part that sticks out.

Much more worse, however, is it if five, six or even seven fast tanks, most of them with engineering, cap. Slow tanks near the cap won't destroy them fast enough, especially if they have no Engineering(and even then...).

And on top of that the consumable has no cooldown.

Halving its capture speed effects would still give the attackers an advantage, but not as massive as otherwise.

Attack and Defense - Recon Flight

Being spotted from afar is bad enough if you try to stay alive. Being spotted for this amount of time is even worse. If Engineering is used less, this will follow. Slightly decrease spotting time.

2)Overpowered vehicle types, OP'ness scaling down:

-Fast autoloader vehicles

-Average speed autoloaders

-Fast Light vehicles

-Slow autoloaders

-Arty

Fast autoloaders: Not only that they benefit from the huge map, they also benefit from the repair points. Go to enemy, unload clip, go back, if damaged repair. Paired with Engineering... horribly OP. If you get a platoon... you get it.

Well, you can't remove autoloaders, so they should at least be limited. We all know the vehicles...(Progetto, Lorraine, Pantera(the worst three), and so on. Give them a hard cap, like arty.(1 per lane, 3 total) Just lump these vehicles together. I am seeing them in EVERY frontline, ALWAYS at the top ranks multiple times. Very often they occupy nearly all top spots.

Fast vehicles, including lights, need a smaller nerf. Just remove a consumable from them - they are already good for this mode, no need to give them three.

Arty has it easier to get rank points a bit. Due to what they are. They are a nuisance for attackers in caps, however, in attack they are pretty average. And they already have a soft cap of 3/1 per lane. The incoming arty splash/stun nerf might be enough, I do not recommend any other changes at this point.

3) Heavy tanks

Not only that they are the easiest target for Arty Strike, they are also not that fast(bad for most situations, especially if the enemy attack shifts).

They have only one consumable.

That's a bit too much. Give them one more(consumable).

This would give:

-Arty 3 consumables

-Lights(-1), Heavies(+1), and TD's 2 consumables

-Mediums 1 consumable

and fix the annoying problem with the autoloaders

Edited by Liquiel, 22 April 2019 - 11:41 PM.

Coltmagnum #2 Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

Private

• Player
  • 43722 battles

Mostly, I agree with Liquiel.

I must say that aside of some small balance issues, I liked the original Frontline mode much more, now the money and exp gain has lessened, new and annoying elements, mostly wheeled ones, entered the game. Now it feels more like a grind, the joy is gone, WG didn't manage over a year of work to fix all the bugs, but with total success managed to ruin the gameplay. Frontline mode was fun, now it sucks. Bring the old one back, you fixed it wrong!

Edited by Coltmagnum, 07 May 2019 - 08:29 AM.

BSHDBCG #3 Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:56 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5876 battles

If you want to limit autoloaders and reloaders, do it from next season, so I can at least get this one done... as I would skip frontline entirely if those was limited, it is the only thing there makes it tolerable after the introduction of the wheeled vehicle hell that frontline is now.

Liquiel #4 Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:08 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9584 battles
  • [BRAND] BRAND

View PostBSHDBCG, on 07 May 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

If you want to limit autoloaders and reloaders, do it from next season, so I can at least get this one done... as I would skip frontline entirely if those was limited, it is the only thing there makes it tolerable after the introduction of the wheeled vehicle hell that frontline is now.

The wheeled vehicles of tier 8 belong to the category autoloaders and reloaders, so they would fall under that limit.

BSHDBCG #5 Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5876 battles

View PostLiquiel, on 07 May 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

The wheeled vehicles of tier 8 belong to the category autoloaders and reloaders, so they would fall under that limit.

Lynx is a single shot vehicle though.

facmanpob #6 Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:40 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2718 battles
The most annoying thing in Frontlines, at least for me, is when you get tracked by an Arty airstrike, then he shoots you with his actual gun, then his arty consumable hits you...

Liquiel #7 Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9584 battles
  • [BRAND] BRAND

View PostBSHDBCG, on 07 May 2019 - 11:53 AM, said:

Lynx is a single shot vehicle though.

Fair point, but at least it

- is the less problematic of the two(e.g. easier to hit+destroy wheel)

- is a light, and affected by the proposed nerf to light tank consumables.(which may or may not be enough for lights)

Silverwarg #8 Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 36929 battles
  • [WRECK] WRECK

1. I agree on Engineering, it needs a hard cap on how many goes into effect capped at 100% in total in a cap, so if three tanks enter with full Engineering it only counts as 33% extra cap speed per tank.

Instead of nerfing spotting planes I'd like to reduce cooldown on smokescreens so it's not a do-or-die decision to pop one. Right now they lack usage because the second you pop one the battle might move 300m north, and you wasted a usage and now you have to wait for the cooldown and a very specific situation to use it again. It should be a convenience skill, so maybe even remove the special assist you get from firing from it. Possibly add to the cooldown counter the more zones that have been taken.

2. I'll just point out that light tanks can usually only go around 45-55 km/h in Frontlines I think it's due to ground resistance, and most lights have no armour, terrible dispersion, slow aim, and no HP to speak of and are often expected to preform the most dangerous jobs there is: Locating the enemy, let them have their three slots because 99% of the time they don't live long enough to use it anyway.

I would consider stripping all OP premiums of a skill slot though, since they already have such a clear advantage over the normal tier 8 tanks.

3. I think all heavies should have Smoke Screen as standard, so they can push/retreat in at least relative safety, plus one open option.

Liquiel #9 Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9584 battles
  • [BRAND] BRAND

View PostSilverwarg, on 08 May 2019 - 10:16 PM, said:

1. I agree on Engineering, it needs a hard cap on how many goes into effect capped at 100% in total in a cap, so if three tanks enter with full Engineering it only counts as 33% extra cap speed per tank.

Instead of nerfing spotting planes I'd like to reduce cooldown on smokescreens so it's not a do-or-die decision to pop one. Right now they lack usage because the second you pop one the battle might move 300m north, and you wasted a usage and now you have to wait for the cooldown and a very specific situation to use it again. It should be a convenience skill, so maybe even remove the special assist you get from firing from it. Possibly add to the cooldown counter the more zones that have been taken.

2. I'll just point out that light tanks can usually only go around 45-55 km/h in Frontlines I think it's due to ground resistance, and most lights have no armour, terrible dispersion, slow aim, and no HP to speak of and are often expected to preform the most dangerous jobs there is: Locating the enemy, let them have their three slots because 99% of the time they don't live long enough to use it anyway.

I would consider stripping all OP premiums of a skill slot though, since they already have such a clear advantage over the normal tier 8 tanks.

3. I think all heavies should have Smoke Screen as standard, so they can push/retreat in at least relative safety, plus one open option.

TBH, I admit that I don't have a light so I can't test it. But if you are right, then the right move would be to give the wheeled vehicles a consumables reduction, but not the rest of the light tanks. If that's technically possible.

altijdwat67 #10 Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:11 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2711 battles
What I don't like at all....on defense, A has a huge farming ridge even tanks from the mid lane (B) rush to it and leave there team to cannon fodder. People only try to farm damage that gives the points but isn't it all about team play? Damage should be less rewarding and cap, decap should give better rewards.

Homer_J #11 Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31398 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
FL powerups just need to go, end of.

terje439 #12 Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34742 battles
  • [TR0II] TR0II

Autoloaders+gold is the real issue imo. 

I know I am beating a dead horse, but gold at a pure T8 match is ridiculus. 

But I also agree that autoloader numbers should be nerfed, AND imo the formula for exp/creds reworked so the "do not cap, let us stay and farm"issue would be removed.

7thSyndicate #13 Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:36 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 45403 battles

View Postaltijdwat67, on 16 May 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

What I don't like at all....on defense, A has a huge farming ridge even tanks from the mid lane (B) rush to it and leave there team to cannon fodder. People only try to farm damage that gives the points but isn't it all about team play? Damage should be less rewarding and cap, decap should give better rewards.

For your information cap/decap give alot more xp than damage does.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users