Churchill VII, holy f.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

friedeggnchips #1 Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:59 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2498 battles
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6

This pile of trash is so ridiculously underpowered and overtiered, it's actually unreal that nothing has been done to rebalance it. The armour seems good until you realise it is absolutely riddled with weak spots and is also rendered useless against enemy heavy tanks as well as anything above its tier (literally anything). Some people may like the tank, but no one can say it is balanced without being sarcastic. I think when they added it, they wanted to give the arty something other than KV-2s to shoot at, so they made everything about it into an 'arty magnet', so much so that extremely often, it'll be the first minute or two into the game, i get spotted by a light tank who has blitzed across the map and then instantly get blown to crapby 3 arty, but that's a different thread.

The tank itself isn't bad, but its almost as if WG accidentally placed it at a tier higher than it should have been, as shown by this quick list of Pros and Cons

Pros:

- Rapid firing gun

- Relatively accurate gun

- Quick aiming time on the gun

Cons:

- This thing is so slow it's sometimes hard to tell if I am moving forward or not, half the battle ends up consisting of me driving to the place to help my team.

- As mentioned before, the armour is practically useless because most other heavy tank guns can pen it, plus anything above you can as well.

- Uses medium tank guns, therefore the DPM is quite high, however, the penetration and damage aren't.

- Essentially a huge arty magnet.

- Cannot support other heavy tanks as the huge "horns" on the front cause you to get tracked over and over again.

- Riddled with weak spots on its front

So there are two ways to fix this, because it does need to be fixed, so better sooner than later, right?

The first way, and likely the longest way would be to buff a few stats on it, such as the top speed, damage and reduce the amount of weak spots, among other things.

The second way, and probably the easiest way, would be to shift both the Black Prince and Churchill VII down a tier. The reason this makes the most sense, in my mind at least, is because all 3 of these heavy tanks use Medium tank guns, so moving them down would make them much more competitive, with perhaps a few adjustments. The Medium 2, 3 and Matilda would stay the same, but the Churchill I would be replaced with the Churchill VII. The remaining gap of the tier VII spot could be filled by the FV201, a British, tier VII (fortunately) Heavy tank, which would later be developed into the Caernarvon.

Anyway, this is only a quick post, but I just want to hear everyone's opinions, although if you're going to suggest the Churchills should stay as is, then please, don't comment :D

Pi_314159265358979 #2 Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:25 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6963 battles
  • [BURRO] BURRO

Use the 3.7-inch howitzer.

Terrible shell speed and penetration, but kinda good at detracking tanks and damaging hull-down vehicles. However, it may not damage Japanese heavies...

The 75 and 77mm guns are just inadequate in terms of penetration, and they'll force you to spam premium shells in order to damage anything...

Don't trust your armour: it's full of weak spots.

Don't go on hill fights: 4 degrees of gun depression are just... Well... Depressing.

Most importantly: use combat reserves like EXP multipliers. A lot.

Edited by Pi_314159265358979, 26 April 2019 - 09:29 AM.

friedeggnchips #3 Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:33 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2498 battles
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6

View PostPi_314159265358979, on 26 April 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

Use the 3.7-inch howitzer.

Terrible shell speed and penetration, but kinda good at detracking tanks and damaging hull-down vehicles. However, it may not damage Japanese heavies...

The 75 and 77mm guns are just inadequate in terms of penetration, and they'll force you to spam premium shells in order to damage anything...

Don't trust your armour: it's full of weak spots.

Don't go on hill fights: 4 degrees of gun depression are just... Well... Depressing.

Most importantly: use combat reserves like EXP multipliers. A lot.

Thanks for the tips, I knew straight away that gun wasnt gonna be able to pen, as I unlocked it through the medium line.

I've nearly free EXPd the whole thing, but just because i'm finished with the tank doesnt mean they shouldnt be changed.

1ncompetenc3 #4 Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:38 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38102 battles
Man, UK heavies were the first tech line I went for when I started playing WoT and I absolutely despised Churchill VII then, I can't even imagine the sh'tfest it would be nowadays.

friedeggnchips #5 Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:02 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2498 battles
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 26 April 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

Man, UK heavies were the first tech line I went for when I started playing WoT and I absolutely despised Churchill VII then, I can't even imagine the sh'tfest it would be nowadays.

Not good, at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users