GLD vs Vents IS7

IS7 vents GLD

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Venom7000 #1 Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:20 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4959 battles

Unlocked IS7 yesterday. I like it, its my first Tier X tank. Aside from everyone pissing gold at you by default its a nice and quick tank.
I run it with: RAMMER, VStabs and for 3rd slot age old question.
GLD or Vents?

I know that the gun is low pen given that its Tier X tank but its also inaccurate to say the least. I cant snipe the "weak spots reliably" even from suicidally close ranges unless fully aimed (and even then its a 50% chance both with pen and aim).

What is your guys experience with this?

:)

PayMore #2 Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25109 battles
  • [BWAH] BWAH
Do vents

wEight_Tanker #3 Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9815 battles
  • [VI90M] VI90M

My OBJ 257 laughing in the distance... Although it cannot be heard clearly from all the twinkle belling going on at its side space armor

Seriously though. All I've ever used on any of the Soviet heavy tanks were Vents/Rammer, GLD and VStab.

barison1 #4 Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41639 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

took rammer/vstab/optic for mine, helped farming quite bunch assist. but if not wanting optics just use vents, gld isnt much worth for IS7

Venom7000 #5 Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:42 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4959 battles

View PostwEight_Tanker, on 28 April 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

My OBJ 257 laughing in the distance... Although it cannot be heard clearly from all the twinkle belling going on at its side space armor

Seriously though. All I've ever used on any of the Soviet heavy tanks were Vents/Rammer, GLD and VStab.

Yeah its a pretty straightforward formula with Soviet Heavies I agree. I too use Rammer and Vstab however I am still broken between that 0,01 accuracy improvement in vents or the 2.47 aiming time with GLD vs 2.66sec aim with out GLD.

View Postbarison1, on 28 April 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

took rammer/vstab/optic for mine, helped farming quite bunch assist. but if not wanting optics just use vents, gld isnt much worth for IS7

Like I told wEght_Walker I am broken between GLD and Vents. Vents sound like a better choice since they do affect aim time too but not as much as GLD. Since GLD cuts it to 2.47 instead of Vents 2.66 (both times are +BiA).

I heard about the optics tactics and I heard that from some very good players. Must be a pro tactic and a good one since it works for them. I am still unsure of the gun and its capabilities so i am looking to maximise the one thing that will keep me alive since most IS7 encounters are in very close ranges. :)

P.s- if we take in to account the GG tanks stats how important or how much are improved the gun soft stats when using Vents + Bia + Snappshot + SmoothRide over Bia+Snap+Smooth (no vents). Is this significant change in real life?

Edited by Venom7000, 28 April 2019 - 12:46 PM.

Obsessive_Compulsive #6 Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

General

• Player
  • 28743 battles
My first choice would be optics. Then vents. IS7 is very much a  spearhead tank.

Dorander #7 Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20349 battles

I'd probably pick Optics as well, it's surprising how often it helps you to spot someone who's firing at you from range that nobody else managed to spot. Even if it doesn't result in assisted damage, it's good to know who's where.

Barring that, I'd pick Vents. I haven't slotted a GLD on anything except artillery in ages, unless of course the tank couldn't carry a V-stab. Most of the time in a heavy you are pre-aiming at close range, not snapshotting.

Venom7000 #8 Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:06 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4959 battles

View PostObsessive_Compulsive, on 28 April 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

My first choice would be optics. Then vents. IS7 is very much a  spearhead tank.

I wanna try that tactic one day when I get the hand of IS7. There is something to it. 

View PostDorander, on 28 April 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

I'd probably pick Optics as well, it's surprising how often it helps you to spot someone who's firing at you from range that nobody else managed to spot. Even if it doesn't result in assisted damage, it's good to know who's where.

Barring that, I'd pick Vents. I haven't slotted a GLD on anything except artillery in ages, unless of course the tank couldn't carry a V-stab. Most of the time in a heavy you are pre-aiming at close range, not snapshotting.

Yeah that is true. I do tend to pre aim a lot. I just wish this thing had a little bit more pen. I feel zero difference in firepower after 257 since the pen is almost the same. I cant shoot the tank frontally with out GOLD he shoots me with gold and pens me.
Do I need to ditch my HE and just load gold?
In my current setup is 2 Apcr 16 AP and 12 HE. I just dont like firing gold. 

Edited by Venom7000, 28 April 2019 - 01:06 PM.

Isharial #9 Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:18 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22118 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

not entirely sure why you'd even consider GLD for anything but an arty or something like the KV-2 with a derp.. 

if you have it mounted on an IS-7, it will only work when everything is stationary, including the turret, so, trying to hit something that is moving back and forwards would mean GLD is doing nothing at all.

rammer, optics, vents would be my choice, because A) I hate being blind, and B) is-7 usually fights at 50m range anyway so vert stab would have limited use, whereas maxing your viewrange helps wherever you are

View PostVenom7000, on 28 April 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

I wanna try that tactic one day when I get the hand of IS7. There is something to it. 

Yeah that is true. I do tend to pre aim a lot. I just wish this thing had a little bit more pen. I feel zero difference in firepower after 257 since the pen is almost the same. I cant shoot the tank frontally with out GOLD he shoots me with gold and pens me.

I would run a lot more gold on it than that, specially if I had to fight against heavies and 907's a lot. id still run AP though as well given the calibre etc.. HE on a gun like that is really only useful for paper stuff, so id probably only carry 5 or so, if any at all

arthurwellsley #10 Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:19 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 53362 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

1. Vstab if you can mount it should be first choice on the majority of tanks.

2. Rammer is second mandatory choice on most tanks that can mount it.

3. Being near the frontline in a heavy means that you will farm more crew experience and free experience if you spot more, therefore the logical third choice for an IS7 is actually Optics.

Dorander #11 Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:40 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20349 battles

View PostVenom7000, on 28 April 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

Tier 10 simply involved a lot of gold, and a lot of broken tanks, which is why I tend to avoid it. I play a lot of German tanks and I typically need gold to pen an IS7 reliably, especially if its LFP is hidden. I don't think you need that many HE shells, unless you need to hit a sidescraping med in its paper side, they won't help you a lot. You're better off aiming for weakspots or taking a different approach to the situation. The IS7 is pretty mobile, you can use that. When you do sit somewhere, make sure you hide your LFP and try to sidescrape as straight as you can. IS7 has 45 degree angled plates on either side on its front, if you overangle those things become a near straight shot for any tank that's a bit taller than you (which is a fair amount of tanks). I always love overangling IS7s. Straightforward facing IS7s with LFP hidden though.... not so much.

Venom7000 #12 Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4959 battles
OK all is noted.
I ditched the idea of GLD (I only read about it in old old old 2012-2014 guides). So now I have to see about Optics or Vents. I will think about both of those.
Thanks mates.

As for the gold or HE. I tend to peper hull down tanks with HE and dwindle their health or constantly shoot their gun and knocking it out. That way I force them to leave that position and angrily march at me and make a mistake.

ACPR on the IS7 is not that great. Still subpar pen given the tier. I went yesterday on GG tanks and tried the live models on many tier X tanks and APCR did little to improve my pen options on most of them.
Like Dorander said. TIer X is congregation of broken tanks. I will try to use more APCR and see how it goes. I tend to "try flanking" or "abandoning the position" entirely if I am facing an unpenable tank. Just wasting my time and money. Let a broken TD or arty deal with him. But Iike I said I will try more APCR even though I hate the idea of giving WG money to play a match. :trollface:

Edited by Venom7000, 28 April 2019 - 01:59 PM.

SuedKAT #13 Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:05 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Here is two videos I think you'll find very informative:

1ncompetenc3 #14 Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:24 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38062 battles
I go for Vstab/rammer/vents on most of my heavies, IS-7 is no exception. GLD I only use on a few TD's and autoloaders.

Also tagged with IS7, vents, GLD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users