Where did your nickname come from?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
128 replies to this topic

Sturmtiger_304 #1 Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 19603 battles
Funny story, my name came from a tank when I got this game called: Sudden Strike 2, where you could choose to play from all of these factions in this game as well.

To start it off, I began to play the Germans, got about a decent way into the game it got so hard, I used to spend 3+ hours a day, just to get 10cm more off the map.
Eventually I got bored, so I decided to play the USSR.

I got to the top left corner of the map, where I approached this strange box looking tank with my BT1's.
The tooltip showed me that the tank's name was Sturmtiger & I was like: Woah, what a awsome name for that tank, that actually means something!

It actually fitted the discription much becouse it's made to lower huge bunkers down to dust in a matter of minutes.

So, there you had it, if you see my name with either a _304 or just 305mm, it's becouse I failed to notice the true MM of the Sturmtigers gun at that time, but I'd gotten used to people ignoring it & just starts calling me Sturm.

Ironic right?

I also have this strange tendency for German people thinking that I HAVE TO BE GERMAN WITH A GERMAN NAME!
But then I see them writing back with German language: Hellfire203, Firefly45, Muclecar#1 and Bob.

Clipssy #2 Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3497 battles
  • [T_F_K] T_F_K
http://www.euro-food...lipsy_nugat.jpg
http://www.euro-food...0210_clipsy.jpg

leofwine #3 Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:33 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1579 battles
I have several names I normally use, however the one I wanted for WoT, my WW2Ol nick 'Lowe', had been used so I went for my former Saxon/Viking/Norman battle re-enactment period name of 'Leofwine'. Hoping to change to 'Lowe' eventually. :)

ErwinRommel #4 Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Special Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
my was created by a machine and i used this in alot of games.Is my second name and the day of my birthday.

ingame name i don't need to say anything...everyone knows why!

PutinDoesPanzers #5 Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Vladimir Putin does Judo, Swims with dolphins, hunts wild game, wrestles with bears and fights fire. I see no reason why he cannot do Panzers...

Viliotti #6 Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Viliotti is my family name, as we are a very traditional family, im proud to use it.

Vulture2k #7 Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 8512 battles
  • [MOP] MOP
Mine is from 98. Its a looooooooong story.

I was always named after birds, i named my self eagle before 1991. Then 1991 came the movie hudson hawk, a movie i totally adored so i called my self hawk. Then i started collecting warbirds so i used kittyhawk and tomahawk sometimes too.

In 1998 there came the game "hardwar", it wasnt that great, but me and my friends liked it somehow and it had the really strange system in multiplayer, when you died you could not use the same name again. My best friends brother played it with us via LAN and collected awesome equipment and the best ship and killed us several dozend times so that every bird name i knew was gone xD Then i looked at the names of the NPC Ships around and saw that they all used 2 names, so i called myself "Virtual Vulture", and sneaked to the waiting brother with my ship in slow speed, between some npc ships and behaving like an npc, i parked directly behind him and killed him from point blank. He was totally like "WTF" from there on i kept the name Vulture, short after that i did somewhat like it cause i always was a Fan of the Mech in Battletech/Mechwarrior with the same name, and i used also its short VV for several stuff, like my Savegames, like game where the name can only have 2-3 letters, and even the car of my dreams i bought a few months ago has VV as sign and i will make stripes shaped like 2 v also on its side like that ->http://yfrog.com/9gchevroletsinusj

so... you asked, hope you dont mind reading this wall of text then  :D

DD_Zooly #8 Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 11845 battles
Way back in the 90's I played my first online flight sim (Janes WW2 Fighters), now I had to create a login and I just somehow ended up typing this stoopid name that means absolutely nothing at all.

Sykotic #9 Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I got mine (and the spelling) in the mid-1980s as a teenager. I had a thing for lighting things on fire (myself included), killing small animals, and generally being crazy. The name stuck. I have used it for gaming since the late 1980s in MUDs. Now, I am old(er) and supposedly wiser. I still use the nickname though.

cptswans #10 Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 15421 battles
  • [FB-G] FB-G
Mine was from when i first started playing navy field - seeing as it was a naval game i wanted to use something to suit, so that where the "Cpt" comes from, "Swans" is a mix of both the team i support and the city im from "Swansea" - so pretty boring tbh

Zeds_Dead #11 Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 22282 battles
If your a fan of Quentin Tarantino films you know my nic comes from Pulp Fiction the script goes like:-

Fabienne: Whose motorcycle is this?
Butch:(Bruce Willis) It's a chopper, baby.
Fabienne: Whose chopper is this?
Butch: It's Zed's.
Fabienne: Who's Zed?
Butch: Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

I think I must of watched the film and soon after needed a nic for a on-line game and thought what better way than to pay homage to Mr Tarintino's tallents, I wanted a name where the first bit could be abreviated for in-game chat i.e "Zed".

I then used it for every game including BF2 all those years ago. Sometimes I have tried to use it to find someone else has already beat me to it, not saying they coppied me but obviously another fan of the said film.

And I like it when other players who know the film ask who's dead?

http://a.imageshack....njczov5bml5.jpg

:Smile_great:

panzergulo #12 Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18410 battles
I was a main battle tank driver in Finnish Defence Forces, I served my duty to my country during 2005. There comes the "panzer" part. You can take it literally, then meaning would be "armor" or "armored", or with the meaning the word has in English, that is, "armored fighting vehicle", or "tank".

When I visited my folks during my service, I always had good appetite, and my sister called me a wolverine (the mustelid called wolverine, not the comic super hero called Wolverine ;D), because I wolfed down my food with such enthusiasm, and the critter has enormous appetite in Finnish folklore. And wolverine in Latin is Gulo gulo. So there comes the "gulo" part.

So, "panzergulo" would roughly mean "tank wolverine" or "armored wolverine". However, the Finnish rank "panssarimies" is usually translated "armourman"... there is no such word in English, it is just the translation FDF uses for the rank. It is equal rank to private, but in FDF, every branch have their special rank name. Armored forces happen to have "panssarimies" which is translated "armourman". Thus, a fitting translation to "panzergulo" would be "armourwolverine". Sounds weird, but that is how relate to my online nickname... I am not "Panzergulo". I am a panzergulo. It's a rank, not a name.

And that is how I always write it. Everything together and small letters. I am a panzergulo. ;)

fuzzlecrank #13 Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Well i actually had some minor brain breakdown at the character creation screen so i named the account after one of my warcraft alt`s, Fuzzlecrank is a pinky haired Gnome mage..

HadesWarpig #14 Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I think I first used Hades back around 2000 while playing Freelancer on some online servers. I used Hades for a while but it was too common. When I got my first Xbox 360 I had to make my Xbox Live gamertag and Hades was taken of course. I was listening to the song Warpigs by Black Sabbath while making my gamertag. I decided just to add Warpig on to the end, seemed cool enough. I've been Hades Warpig ever since /tear.  B)

killakanz #15 Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12756 battles
I started using mine waaaay back when I started playing Command and Conquer over the internet. Since it was a game playing with lots of tanks, I named myself after my first toy tank, made from a tin can. It started off as killercans, then evolved over the... um... 16 or so years.
So many people accused me of taking it from Warhammer. I had no interest in Warhammer back then and there was no such unit as a 'killakanz' in 1995.
It's never been spelled with a capital letter. I make a point of this for some reason, but so many people don't catch that.

Preditorian #16 Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:15 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Back in the days of the good Aliens Vs Predator games (AVP2), I played the single player campaign and fought a Praetorian,  at a glace I did not see it as this name, I saw Preditorian.  So from there on out I names myself that, not soon after I noticed that not only did I completely miss what I was originally naming for but I came up with a new name all together.  So from there on out I was named Preditorian, it was so unique that I was the only person in the world to have this name.  Recently I had the name patented so that some crazy movie guy might not try to steal it. :)

Here are some picture of what a Praetorian is. Its not a Queen Alien, but rather the primary guardians of the Queen and next in line to become a Queen shall she die.

Attached Files

• Attached File   Praetorian.png   712.55K
  • Attached File   Praetorian-web.jpg   57.85K

MemoryReborn #17 Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:02 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
MemoryReborn was to be the in-game name for another game called Alliance of Valiant Arms. The meaning was that this was a reboot of my old account, in which I had made poor choices that negatively impacted me in the long run. This account name was called MemoriesLost.

shiki #18 Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:32 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
this is actually my third nickname
my first one was
sky0dragon (you read it like sky zero dragon)
but with time i started watching to much anime and reading to much manga and wanted something from japan
so i end up with Tokyo (yes the capital of japan...) but many started saying Tokyo is Tokio... (its both actually)
so i changed to shiki (a japanese name from a character of an anime, a few years ago)
i have used it for a long time now, its short, easy to say ("yiki")  :Smile_harp:

MajorMeatShield #19 Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Mine came about from playing BF1942 with the group from Battlefield Nations.

I sucked.  

I'd spawn, someone would drop a bomb on me.
I'd spawn, someone would snipe me.
I'd spawn, someone would knife me.
I'd spawn, get a tank, and someone would blow me up.

But it was a game, and I took it in stride (mostly) so I called myself MajorMeatShield - first to die for his teammates, or nothing at all!

Ivin #20 Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
many years ago when i was trying to think of a name for my guy in SWG, i had just finished reading a book on Ivan the Great and thought Ivan made a nice name for it... so I entered that and poof "taken" so I thought for a minute... I'm lazy anyway and want an easier way to type it so... ivin it was!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users