Met a T-34 and a poorly M4

T-34-85 m4 M8 Museum

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

SoupFork #1 Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10072 battles

Had to visit an Art gallery in Best, near Eindhoven, The Netherlands last week.

To my surprise there was a small museum next door called "Bevrijdende Vleuigels" (Liberating wings) about operation Market Garden.

They have a small collection and the museum was being renovated, so I'm not sure if some exhibits were missing.

They had 2 tanks, the poorly M4 and a T-34(85?). Whoever drove the t-34 must have been a UltraUnicum because it has 5 MoE.

M4 was missing a lot of wheels and it looks like the muzzle break was missing?

Surely someone here can tell me exactly what types  of tanks/guns they were rom the pics.

Also on display a Sd.Kfz. 251, M8 greyhound, lots of M9 halftracks including one with the quad .50cal AA turret.

A very fake Spitfire. a real C-53 disguised as a C-47, lots of AA including a german 76 and an 88 with a suspiciously short barrel.

And a V-1 which I couldn't get close to but am 99% sure is a poor replica too.\

The museum is DARK. Very dark. I didn't bring my camera so I borrowed one from a friend but it didn't like me much..

I struggled to get half decent photos and binned most of them.

Entry was 8 Euros which seemd reasonable, took me about one hour to see everything at a leisurly pace.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post full details of the museum here, so PM me if you need them.

They surely could use more visitors to help spruce it up a bit...

15:38 Added after 3 minutes

Miepie #2 Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3121 battles
  • [KEL-O] KEL-O

View PostSoupFork, on 06 May 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

Had to visit an Art gallery in Best, near Eindhoven, The Netherlands last week.

To my surprise there was a small museum next door called "Bevrijdende Vleuigels" (Liberating wings) about operation Market Garden.

They have a small collection and the museum was being renovated, so I'm not sure if some exhibits were missing.

They had 2 tanks, the poorly M4 and a T-34(85?). Whoever drove the t-34 must have been a UltraUnicum because it has 5 MoE.

M4 was missing a lot of wheels and it looks like the muzzle break was missing?

Surely someone here can tell me exactly what types  of tanks/guns they were rom the pics.

Also on display a Sd.Kfz. 251, M8 greyhound, lots of M9 halftracks including one with the quad .50cal AA turret.

A very fake Spitfire. a real C-53 disguised as a C-47, lots of AA including a german 76 and an 88 with a suspiciously short barrel.

And a V-1 which I couldn't get close to but am 99% sure is a poor replica too.\

The museum is DARK. Very dark. I didn't bring my camera so I borrowed one from a friend but it didn't like me much..

I struggled to get half decent photos and binned most of them.

Entry was 8 Euros which seemd reasonable, took me about one hour to see everything at a leisurly pace.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post full details of the museum here, so PM me if you need them.

15:38 Added after 3 minutes

I live in Eindhoven nowadays (but never made time to visit the museum and it didn't exist when I was a kid). Apparently, the V1 is a real one but one that was never launched; captured in the east of the country from where it was meant to target the port of Antwerp. They used to have a real C47 Dakota, but when it got borrowed to act as a prop in the "Soldaat van Oranje" musical, it was destroyed in a transport accident. Looked at the pictures of their Flak-88, but it doesn't seem to differ from the ones I saw up close (like the one at Overloon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overloon_War_Museum ;)... :honoring:

SoupFork #3 Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10072 battles

View PostMiepie, on 07 May 2019 - 12:09 AM, said:

I live in Eindhoven nowadays (but never made time to visit the museum and it didn't exist when I was a kid). Apparently, the V1 is a real one but one that was never launched; captured in the east of the country from where it was meant to target the port of Antwerp. They used to have a real C47 Dakota, but when it got borrowed to act as a prop in the "Soldaat van Oranje" musical, it was destroyed in a transport accident. Looked at the pictures of their Flak-88, but it doesn't seem to differ from the ones I saw up close (like the one at Overloon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overloon_War_Museum ;)... :honoring:

Thanks for the info. I’m in Them Netherlands for the rest of this week so I’ll try to get to the Overloon museum. They seem quite reluctant to show off their collection online, not even a list on their website. But after some digging on the internets, I’ve found they should have at least a Panther, Hetzer, Hellcat, M4, T34-85, Centurion 6/1, Leopard 1, Archer and Challenger TD, plus a Spitfire and a Mitchell. There seems to be a sort of “tank day” there in 2 weeks but I’ll  be on my way home by then.

Captain_Kremen0 #4 Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:27 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 38450 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostMiepie, on 06 May 2019 - 11:09 PM, said:

It's amazing the number of people who miss things on their own doorstep

I live in Manchester and had never even heard about a museum at the former BAe factory at woodford. Was well worth a visit. On a non military theme I doubt many Mancunians have ever been to John Rylands Library either. Philistines.

MeetriX #5 Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:46 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 22238 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE
That is a custom skin on T-34-85. 5 MoE is impossible.

SoupFork #6 Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10072 battles

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 07 May 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

It's amazing the number of people who miss things on their own doorstep

I live in Manchester and had never even heard about a museum at the former BAe factory at woodford. Was well worth a visit. On a non military theme I doubt many Mancunians have ever been to John Rylands Library either. Philistines.

guilty as charged... lived no more than a mile from the Imperial War Museum for 3 years, kept telling myself I’d go there on a rainy day and suddenly I had a new job and moved and never got round to it...

1ncompetenc3 #7 Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38102 battles

View PostSoupFork, on 06 May 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

I've never heard of someone getting upset because a stranger was promoting his museum free of charge. If anything they could use the promotion, I had no idea there was a military hardware museum there (albeit a small one).

Miepie #8 Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3121 battles
  • [KEL-O] KEL-O

View PostSoupFork, on 07 May 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

Thanks for the info. I’m in Them Netherlands for the rest of this week so I’ll try to get to the Overloon museum. They seem quite reluctant to show off their collection online, not even a list on their website. But after some digging on the internets, I’ve found they should have at least a Panther, Hetzer, Hellcat, M4, T34-85, Centurion 6/1, Leopard 1, Archer and Challenger TD, plus a Spitfire and a Mitchell. There seems to be a sort of “tank day” there in 2 weeks but I’ll  be on my way home by then.

They also have five flavours of Sherman (including an armoured recovery vehicle and a Crab with mine-flails), several Churchills, a Cromwell, an FT17...

But all that stuff is boring, it's just big metal boxes with rusty spots. What is WAY, WAY MORE important is that it's close to Melderslo, which has a local museum that has the longest asparagus ever harvested in the world (measuring 3,11m)!

Longest. Asparagus. Ever!!! :izmena: These are the things that matter in life! [1]

I once had a roadtrip with a friend specifically to go look at it. :D

[1] with or without hearing the lamentations of your enemies' women!

Nishi_Kinuyo #9 Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:41 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 8398 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostSoupFork, on 07 May 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

Sent you a message about the museum.

As for the super-unicum T-34 up in the first post: it's a bit of a shame that the angle is off so I just can't read the last bit of the text on it with the big flag emblem.

Don't suppose you'd be able to inform me. :girl:

SoupFork #10 Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:50 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10072 battles

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 07 May 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

I've never heard of someone getting upset because a stranger was promoting his museum free of charge. If anything they could use the promotion, I had no idea there was a military hardware museum there (albeit a small one).

That was about the moderators here, wasn’t sure if they’d see that as advertising,
22:53 Added after 3 minutes

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 07 May 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

Sent you a message about the museum.

As for the super-unicum T-34 up in the first post: it's a bit of a shame that the angle is off so I just can't read the last bit of the text on it with the big flag emblem.

Don't suppose you'd be able to inform me. :girl:

sorry, don’t speak Russian and those are the only usable pics. It was in a very awkward spot, right up to a huge window so you either had it as a silhouette or try to squeeze in between the tanks and the glass... the exhibit is not very photo-friendly. Could’ve done it with my own camera but didn’t bring it...

1ncompetenc3 #11 Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38102 battles

View PostSoupFork, on 07 May 2019 - 11:50 PM, said:

That was about the moderators here, wasn’t sure if they’d see that as advertising

That does make considerably more sense. :harp:

Nishi_Kinuyo #12 Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 8398 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 08 May 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

That does make considerably more sense. :harp:

Well, he provided the name of the museum as well as where it is located, so anyone interested should be able to find it easily, afaik.

Also tagged with T-34-85, m4, M8, Museum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users