STB-1's upcoming rebalancing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: STB-1's upcoming rebalancing (31 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do u like STB-1's upcoming rebalancing?

1. I think so (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

2. At least they are changing something (9 votes [29.03%])

Percentage of vote: 29.03%

3. Look how they massacred my boy (18 votes [58.06%])

Percentage of vote: 58.06%

Vote Hide poll

Getern #1 Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21695 battles

Hello folks,
There were topics of mine concerning STB-1's general performance. Here is the quick revision if u are interested: http://forum.worldof...-again/#topmost

Are they planning to buff the weak aspects of the tank? Well... yes but actually no.

Lets start with the gun which is the biggest abomination in the tank. The essentialy try to ruin original feature of 105 Royal Ordnance. Changing alpha? Where is the logic, we already have tanks which excel at low damage and high DPM. Since Object 430U exists they are also out of the Meta. To be specific I meant original russian mediums. Like it wouldnt be enough here comes the Penetration nerf? 232 is a light level of penetration. Ammunition changes, which means uncomfortable long range sniping due to lesser velocity are also terrible idea. We also lose "special" ammunition velocity but not penetration. What I see here is attempt to make STB-1's P2W tank only. When it comes to gun handling it actually looks way better, but its nothin really impressive. Without nerfing anything else aim time and dispersions could be already a decent buff for current standards. Losing aspects like shell velocity, penetration and alpha doesn't really make gun handling make up for it. In best case, it sort balance things out to current STB's level. Yet, it really is the best case and it cant be tested for now. Hard to say the impact of little accuracy nerf. Also another unnecesary change.

Mobility changes are also suspicious. We are getting Patton's max speed with slightly better power to weight ratio. Engine buff is the most welcome but losing max speed always hurts for a medium tank, when u see russian heavies passing u by. Tank was never known for its max speed but reducing it further is just straight savageness. Also why would we lose view range? That is russian level of view range. 
Feels like WG wants to make worse version of russian medium out of it. With only advantage of gun depression which is barely relevant with its non reliable turret armor. Well, there is not a single reliable plate on STB-1. For effective playing, u simply cant be shot. So if they are trying to force russian playstyle on it. That is going to be catastrophic. There is no point of comparing aspects, because russian mediums always will be on top, minus gun depression. Lets say they want us to play on first line with no armor. Will gun handling buff be sufficient? (X) Doubt.
Its crystal clear that WG doesnt want to buff the tank directly. They gotta take something in return, which is just rebalancing. Buffs do not really outshine nerfs which comes in the package. I would rather have the tank as it is in current state.

Solution?
Improve the aim time and dispersions at moving hull and turret, without changing anything else. Or in best case scenario, also rework the turret which is a joke even for standard ammunition nowadays.

Edited by Getern, 06 May 2019 - 05:07 PM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #2 Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 17525 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostGetern, on 06 May 2019 - 05:07 PM, said:

Or in best case scenario, also rework the turret which is a joke even for standard ammunition nowadays.

That's already being tested with the second iteration:

Block Quote

We’re also going to test the second important adjustment: a boost to turret protection. For the STB-1 to keep it together in a brawl, we’ll do the following:

• Get rid of weak armor zones in the gun mantlet
  • Increase the mantlet armor thickness
  • Bolster the overall frontal turret protection

I'll try and dig up the images again that appeared on NA Right after the first iteration was out, so they've maybe changed even more since then.

EDIT: Found 'em. They're not great or anything, but yeah, gets across that they are changing the turret armour:

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 25 April 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

Existing armour values
New armour values (subject to change of course)

Edited by Desyatnik_Pansy, 06 May 2019 - 05:16 PM.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 70170 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Well as we have seen, still subject to change. As the first and 2nd stage of those buffs were very different in terms of directions. I suspect WG is just testing out different variants to see what works for it. As they seem to not want it as a support sniper. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 06 May 2019 - 05:20 PM.

DeadLecter #4 Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29916 battles

In 2 years they are going to realize that they ruined STB-1 and they will revert the changes to what they are now. 

Like they did to 30B.

1ncompetenc3 #5 Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38102 battles
I'd be a lot happier if they'd just buff its soft stats (both dispersion and terrain resistance) and leave everything else alone.

Getern #6 Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21695 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 06 May 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

I'll try and dig up the images again that appeared on NA Right after the first iteration was out, so they've maybe changed even more since then.

EDIT: Found 'em. They're not great or anything, but yeah, gets across that they are changing the turret armour:

I wasnt aware of that. Well, thats actually something. Standard tier X ammunition will have a hard time penetrating the turret now.

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 06 May 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

I'd be a lot happier if they'd just buff its soft stats (both dispersion and terrain resistance) and leave everything else alone.

There is a big chance they will try to do way more features trading which occasionaly will left tank just worse as it is now, Thats why I do also think that minor changes are the best.

Dava_117 #7 Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:55 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21513 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
You may not be aware of that, but they never planned a penetration nerf. They planned a penetration drop off nerf. That 232mm pen was at 500m and was intended, as the lower shell velocity, to reduce the effectiveness at sniping while, thanks to AP better normalization, increasing the effectiveness against sloped armour.

Edited by Dava_117, 06 May 2019 - 05:56 PM.

SnowRelic #8 Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23953 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post1ncompetenc3, on 06 May 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

Almost, except that it should also get its hydro-pneumatic suspension.

1ncompetenc3 #9 Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38102 battles

View PostSnowRelic, on 06 May 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

Almost, except that it should also get its hydro-pneumatic suspension.

I couldn't care less about that to be honest; I'd rather keep the gun depression to the sides.

Yosef1 #10 Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:27 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 22492 battles

I was rally happy when they finally decided to do something to stb1...I really like the tank I got few hundred battles in it but it was lacking so much I did not play much long ago when everything was better(wasnt that bad when it was added)

At first glance on the changes  when my eyes caught dmg reduction and view range I opened WoT and sold it, pretty much I'm the only who did it that wat lol

Bought the M48 back with it...WG come on....

XxKuzkina_MatxX #11 Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:57 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 06 May 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

A more recent armor profile for the STB-1 turret...

Cobra6 #12 Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:57 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16470 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

It just needed it's horrible dispersion on hull rotation fixed as well as 0,3s aimtime shaved off.

The STB-1 is absolutely fine in it's current form apart from the atrocious gun behavior.

Cobra 6

Schepel #13 Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 63698 battles

View PostCobra6, on 07 May 2019 - 08:57 AM, said:

It just needed it's horrible dispersion on hull rotation fixed as well as 0,3s aimtime shaved off.

The STB-1 is absolutely fine in it's current form apart from the atrocious gun behavior.

Cobra 6

Indeeed. And I can even live with it as is: played with food, the tank works just fine for me. Bad results are 100% player error. I never felt the STB to be useless. It is less accurate than the M48, but it gets to be faster in useful spots. Fair trade. I really do not want it to turn into some kind of close range brawler at which it will always be outclassed by the 430U. Gun depression doesn't count for much if you have to be so close you can simply be rushed. 

thetopcat #14 Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25672 battles
  • [EVITA] EVITA
No one wants a questionably "well armourned" turret medium with a meh gun. for proof look at current Amx 30b 

Edited by thetopcat, 08 May 2019 - 08:05 PM.

vasilinhorulezz #15 Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23266 battles

The only problem the STB had, was the gun handling.

This is what they should address, lowering the alpha and give it a bit of DPM, especially in a META that favors alpha over DPM, in a supposedly brawling, single-shot medium is a bad idea, keep the alpha, give it better aim time and dispersion values, give it the hydro-pneumatic suspension, since historically it had one, end of story. Seriously, tell me how is the STB gonna compete against the 15/16's 440 alpha gun, and why anyone should pick STB over the new Swedish medium?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users