maus, mauschen gun feel unederpowered

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Angel_SR #1 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:44 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7818 battles

gun on mauschen and maus feel underpowered for me. if you compare to e100, pz 7, is, obj and other t10 heavys is it not so good. it lack bit more alpha and penetration. armor is not so strong arugument for tank since it has bad turrert rotation speed and hull also and slow as fck. your movement measured in calendar days, and not so great gun do have impact on battle performance with other tier 10. 

I do think that little buff is needed and make it more versatile as heavy.

Toni112007 #2 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11109 battles
Nice joke.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #3 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:59 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY
Maus...more versatile! :teethhappy:

Dava_117 #4 Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:19 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21487 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAngel_SR, on 07 May 2019 - 06:44 AM, said:

gun on mauschen and maus feel underpowered for me. if you compare to e100, pz 7, is, obj and other t10 heavys is it not so good. it lack bit more alpha and penetration. armor is not so strong arugument for tank since it has bad turrert rotation speed and hull also and slow as fck. your movement measured in calendar days, and not so great gun do have impact on battle performance with other tier 10. 

I do think that little buff is needed and make it more versatile as heavy.

Well, 490 alpha is quite standard nowadays in tier 10 tanks. Pz7 got almost a TD gun while E100 compensate for the better alpha and mobility with far less reliable armour.

Many says that 246 pen on the standard AP round is bad. To be fair, while not being stellar, it does the job quite well IMO. Some armour may require you to load APCR (as other Maus or Type5) but generally you can pen basically any tank with some knowledge of where to aim. Remember that  the Maus is a tall tank, so that 12.8cm gun can aim at a lot of engine deck and other overmatchable parts that usually are hard to hit.

The armour is also the best you can find in this game. Boxy shape with thick plating all-around is the best if you want to use armour effectively. 

Also remember that Maus gun have really good soft stat, so you don't need to aim too much.

So, to sum up, I don't think the gun needs any further buff.

Edited by Dava_117, 07 May 2019 - 07:23 AM.

crnakoza #5 Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 58109 battles

View PostAngel_SR, on 07 May 2019 - 06:44 AM, said:

more versatile as heavy.

Maus never was about versatility. You're playing it wrong.

I get it, everyone wants a tank that can do everything. But no, there needs to be a balance.

UrQuan #6 Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20693 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Dava said it best.

OP, you have to realize tanks can fulfill various roles & some tanks are better fitted for a damage role then others. The Maus & Mauschen design (and VK 100) aren't suited for damage-dealing. They're too slow for that in every way. They're much better in the frontline duty department, attracting enemy gunfire & surviving it, so your fellow tankers don't get shot at (often), giving them more room to return fire without getting shot at.

If you feel the armor on these tanks is weak, I suspect you don't angle it, or not enough. You can angle these tanks far before it becomes a problem. Also don't over-extend or go alone. Slow tanks in general lack the mobility to get out a bad situation, so they got to endure whatever comes to them.

Reposting my short armor guide below, because it never hurts to refresh it:

Short armor guide (reposted from different thread that was dealing with VK 100 armor)

Armor does NOT exist to make people immune to damage. Such approach is bad for the game. Armor exists to make you more resistant to damage, so that the gun with 220mm pen (T8 ballpark pen, some have less, some have more) has trouble penning your VK 100, not that you are impossible to be damaged by it.

Because people have trouble with armor & it never seems enough (serious: 200 mm UFP armor, 230mm turret front, 220mm rounded cupola, triple spaced 100mm tracks with 130mm side armor & 170/160mm turret sides for T8, that's insane levels of armor for a T8), have a short armor guide:

Proper armor usage follows these guidelines:

- Don't get hit: No matter what you drive, this is paramount. Don't get hit when you don't need to.

- Bait shots: Peek out some tough piece of armor, you'd be surprised how many people take shots at it. Once done, roll out that gun & answer in kind!

- Angle up: When you have to expose yourself to hostile fire: maximize your armor; it reduces the hurt greatly (notice, I said 'reduce' not 'immunize;)

- Don't do bad trades! If there's a ton of tanks aiming at you & not tricked by your baiting, don't try & shoot for 400 damage when you can get 1000 damage in return. 

- Know your enemy guns: An IS-6 has no hope penning you if you play your KV-4/VK 100 properly, while that Borsig will remain a serious issue when he's aimed at you & waiting for you to come out.

- Don't tease the Deathstars (Jagpanzer E-100 & British FV TD's) No really, don't do it. It's not worth it

- Don't go alone: Way too many people think their heavy armor tank is a solo pwn machine. Nope it is not: bring friends/teammates. make sure you got support in back. When you do: it's rocking time. When you don't? Go defensive, punish the enemy for even thinking to approach you. You want a solo pwn machine? Get IS-3 or any other generalist tank & get good at the game. Armored tanks are not it (But WG sure as hell tries lately, not a good evolution imo). 

Way too few people do this & just end up dead with barely any damage blocked in their armored tank. Then complain armor is useless. Then we end up with tanks like Maus & jap heavies because people want armored tanks without the skill to use them. Then act shocked when nobody wants to fight these tanks, resulting in some very dumb team deployments (because no-one likes to be Type 5 food, or plant shell after shell in a Maus for 0 effect)

You want a tank that can hold of enemy armies while blasting your way to the top? Get an armored tank, learn how to use said armor. Learn the pen mechanics of every type of shell & use/abuse that. Learn which situations work & which don't. Look at team compositions & act accordingly. 

And when you do? Start rocking. Take control of your lane, either by holding it, or by pushing it. Deny the enemy passage/control. Do that and you already pushed up your winchances greatly in your armored tank.

Armored tanks exist to take control over a lane/corridor/contested area. Mobile tanks exist to exert control over the wider map. Choose wisely which concept you like more. Any tank that combines heavy armor with mobility will be OP because it will be able to exert control over a wider map & dominate in the area/ corridor / lane that needs it the most.

Maus (260mm armor thickest) vs 300mm to 340mm penetration shells

Edited by UrQuan, 07 May 2019 - 12:04 PM.

Kartoshkaya #7 Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25855 battles
Maus is the snapshoot god of all ht. You don't need that much pen when you can hit weakspots easily. Or maybe you can't and I let you guess where the problem is then.

Suurpolskija #8 Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:26 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22028 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

< insert stat shaming > 

< talk about frontal weak spots of Maus for standard ammo > 

< suggest the gun is fine and OP should learn to play >

Kozzy #9 Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:46 PM

Major

• Player
  • 40655 battles
  • [RINSE] RINSE

View PostSuurpolskija, on 07 May 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

< suggest the gun is fine and OP should learn to play >

Exactly!  People definitely shouldn't do that here.

On a non-related note - OP, what are you on about?  The Mauschen is your second highest damage-dealing tank!  

Dorander #10 Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20369 battles

I disagree for a very simple reason. The Maus does what it is designed to do, which is bring a buttload of survival capability to the field, which in gameplay practices frequently means flank denial. That survival capability allows it to use its gun effectively, even while not having the big boom some other tanks bring.

It is not required for a tank to be playable to be exactly the same as every other tank, or even close, as long as it doesn't result in any broken situations. The Maus is not broken. It's situational, just like all slow tanks.

Mind you I love the Maus, it was the first line I grinded, when I started WoT I looked at all the tier ten tanks, saw the Maus, and decided I wanted that one. Buffing it would please me greatly. But it doesn't really need to be buffed. Most of its standard rounds penetrate other tanks just fine. Its APCR pens reliably on most other tanks, just not the ones with virtually impenetrable turrets. They're a problem category of their own and every tank faces the same problem against those designs.

The Maus has one glaring weakspot in the turret cheeks, if you fire, you might get punished for it. It may feel like you're not contributing a lot because you're not dealing much (or any) damage, but if you can deny a high DPS tank on the enemy side or even two (or more!) the ability to effectively deal damage you are doing more to contribute to victory than a lot of people do in most matches. You can take the punishment and give your team time to win, if you survive, you can join in the punishing, and if your enemies don't know where or how to hit you you can laugh at the "doink" sounds while you flick a shell in their LFPs.

If you don't like that style of contribution, don't drive a Maus, there are other heavies suited for other types of gameplay.

TheDrownedApe #11 Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:14 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 47551 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
mauschen is a great tank for it's tier, you just need to use gold

tankzman #12 Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 69142 battles
To be honest, 246 pen is a bit low for the damage. 10 more pen would be ok. 

Japualtah #13 Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31113 battles
You've been Rick-rolled.

HassenderZerhacker #14 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

Major

• Player
  • 29144 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 07 May 2019 - 03:14 PM, said:

mauschen is a great tank for it's tier, you just need to use gold

hahaha lol

the bad joke... sad reality though

7thSyndicate #15 Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 45424 battles
i dont think the problem is the tank here.. 

Angel_SR #16 Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7818 battles
it lack some cannon power 246 pen is not so great... 260 would be lot batter. and fck with angle your armor when your turret need week turn. sure angle armor does help but in general you are slow as fck so it does not help much when you are out maneuvered in battle(depend on map and team and we all know how it goes in wot) and yes there are always random smart [edited]who gonna say you are wrong or dont know how to play game, rly all you got? 490 alpla and 246 pen is not so great compared to other heavys which pen your lover plate while your shot bounce on them, add your terrible mobility on top of it. I did not say it is not nice tanks but compared to others it is a bit underpowered, some buff in term of penetration would be much batter for thank so you can kill something in high tier battle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users