Which tank class is played the least and why?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Geoffrey_Ironfist #1 Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19524 battles
  • [YBB] YBB
Are there any stats around?

Suurpolskija #2 Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21963 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

I'm gonna throw a wild guess: 

1) Light tanks - Hard class to play and lacks in survivability and firepower in most of maps. 

2) Artillery - Disliked by many and is sort of boring or chilled out class to play compared to other classes. 

Homer_J #3 Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31398 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Arty accounted for 12% of battles back in the day when you could see more than 5 in a team so it's pretty certain that it's still the least played.

Wintermute_1 #4 Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47794 battles

Meds are played least, followed by Heavies, TDs, lights and SPGs which everyone plays because they are awesome. 

Next loaded thread.

Geoffrey_Ironfist #5 Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19524 battles
  • [YBB] YBB

I found it

https://en.wot-life....eu/serverstats/

Most people play heavies (about a third) whereas lights and SPGs are played least. With that in mind, I can read and understand better peoples' views in the forums. I wish I knew something about winrates but win8 seems slightly higher for heavies as well.

Next question should be why are SPGs played the least? Is it that they are boring and should be made more exciting? Is it for another reason? Same goes for lights. Should they become easier to play, if that is the reason they are played less? Or maybe heavy tanks are comparatively too easy to play?

Edited by Geoffrey_Ironfist, 07 May 2019 - 05:12 PM.

WindSplitter1 #6 Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:11 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18728 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

LTs are scarce because you are expected to be the first in the vanguard, where the enemy has their guns loaded and already pointed at you, and if you don't, then your own team will dispatch you.

On top of being just fodder with the benefit of camo on the move (no DPM, no armour, no view range, sometimes not even camo, bad guns, low HP...)

As for clickers, we all know the "remove artaaaaa!11!!1!", which is not necessarily significative: those people will play clickers just as much as the fella next door. They are pretty much like LTs with a big fat gun.

Lack of variety (only 5 lines), MM restrictions and the community stance are prolly the key issues.

That HTs are the most played class? Well, big surprise. RASJA is all about them. And every match has the usual Disciple of Murazor that expects his armour to bounce every single shot. As this is a world of "Tanks" and tanks have armour, especially the HT, along with that mindset, you have the recipe for people going to the HTs.

pecopad #7 Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27069 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

Most of us play arties because:

1) Missions

2) gameplay is so bad, that arty is the only thing you can play. Example Front Line

Balc0ra #8 Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 70162 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostGeoffrey_Ironfist, on 07 May 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

I found it

Most people play heavies (about a third) whereas lights and SPGs are played least. With that in mind, I can read and understand better peoples' views in the forums. I wish I knew something about winrates but win8 seems slightly higher for heavies as well.

Hmm, interesting. SPG predicably least played. Even more so after the SPG changes when WG did note a drop. But rather amazed TD's are more popular then lights.... considering most low tier tech trees are mostly just lights etc.

Next question should be why are SPGs played the least? Is it that they are boring and should be made more exciting? Is it for another reason? Same goes for lights. Should they become easier to play, if that is the reason they are played less? Or maybe heavy tanks are comparatively too easy to play?

I suspect you can blame the "hate" bandwagon for it a bit. It's branded as bad to play too much SPG's. And thus most just "play them for missions". But I suspect the SPG changes over the years have pushed more away from it vs a few years ago. LT's I'm willing to bet the LT changes and nerfs/buffs that came with it might have moved some away, or even back to it.

jack_timber #9 Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:52 PM

Major

• Player
  • 37452 battles

Interesting to see % breakdown of differing classes.

Personally only play TDs and arty.

Suppose when I play I like to, how you young ones say, chill. Just had to look up definition of chill being reliably informed it's 'Avoid drama. Do your own thing, and let others do theirs' yes kinda sums it up.

arthurwellsley #10 Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:58 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 53362 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

LT's took a substantial nerf after the introduction of tier X light tanks. Although the +3 MM was removed, the overall quid pro quo nerf was pretty harsh to most of them. In addition without armour they are unforgiving of mistakes.

SPG's nerfed in patch 8.6 what logical reason was there to play after such a drastic reduction in their effectiveness? Thereafter it is like being asked to enter a boxing match with one arm tied behind your back, why would a player chose that?

HT's have forgiving armour and large HP pools.

In_memory_of_Bud_Spencer #11 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19909 battles
  • [-V-A-] -V-A-

I found it

But we have to keep in mind, that SPGs and Lights have a hardcap (SPG: 3 / Light: 5) that the other classes do not have.

samuelx43a #12 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24725 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

LTs I can see why. To be honest I am not an LT player, I avoid the class because I have performance bias, I want to be useful to my team, and I don't see myself competent enough in it.

I don't agree at all with the insane nerfs that they got when they added the new Xs. I mean I would tone it back a little bit( for example lights should have better guns than they have now, especially in regards to pen drop over distance) but I am no balance master so I'll close my mouth on a subject where I am not very knowledgeable about.

Arty is like what the others have said. No need to interfere with that can of worms that is well open already.

Quintuss #13 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30134 battles
  • [DIVA_] DIVA_

View Postarthurwellsley, on 07 May 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

SPG's nerfed in patch 8.6 what logical reason was there to play after such a drastic reduction in their effectiveness? Thereafter it is like being asked to enter a boxing match with one arm tied behind your back, why would a player chose that?

1. if you want every tier 10 researched.

2. doing the missions.

Having all the tier X artys unlocked i only need 2. too, but after the last arty change: nah. I'll wait untill SFL15-4 is adjusted before i have another go at trying to complete it (and once i have it the whole class can go to hell).

A very big factor in what people play are also the premium tanks: you see some prem lights, some prem TDs, but a zillion prem HTs and many prem-meds. Not really surprising either when you look at what tier8 prems are considered good.

Dorander #14 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20359 battles

SPG has always been the least played class, which is why it amuses me that people claim there's 20% of them in every game when the real percentage is closer to 10%. The actual damage per battle people take from artillery turns out to be even lower than that, 5-8%.

I tend to play artillery far less than anything else, not because I hate it, but because I don't like the way it plays. There's not enough control, results are iffy, if you don't see a reason to relocate you're bored for 15-20 seconds per shot, and it's quite difficult to impact the outcome of a battle with them. Playing artillery means you're relying on your teammates for all the things except the few things they rely on you for. Also you get to see your team melt live in front of you every time you get one of those.

Homer_J #15 Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31398 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Next question should be why are SPGs played the least? Is it that they are boring and should be made more exciting? Is it for another reason? Same goes for lights.

SPG is probably simply because there are less of them in the tech tree.  Could be the same for lights.  Although there are lots of light tanks they are mostly low tiers.

Edited by Homer_J, 07 May 2019 - 07:17 PM.

kaneloon #16 Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30022 battles
  • [FR2DB] FR2DB

View PostHomer_J, on 07 May 2019 - 06:16 PM, said:

SPG is probably simply because there are less of them in the tech tree.  Could be the same for lights.  Although there are lots of light tanks they are mostly low tiers.

Yes I probably play less arty because I had only 1 arty in garage for 7 years, now 2 to complete the Excalibur missions.

But it is mostly state of mind dependant : arty when I need to calm down after too much yoloing, scout when I really am in good physical shape - it is too demanding plus I never really was in phase with their gameplay.

gpalsson #17 Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:39 PM

General

• Player
  • 24477 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostDorander, on 07 May 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

SPG has always been the least played class, which is why it amuses me that people claim there's 20% of them in every game when the real percentage is closer to 10%. The actual damage per battle people take from artillery turns out to be even lower than that, 5-8%.

I tend to play artillery far less than anything else, not because I hate it, but because I don't like the way it plays. 

Which is also coincidentally why many people don't like playing against them - the way they play. It has nothing to do with the percentage of damage they do.

Edited by gpalsson, 07 May 2019 - 07:43 PM.

Bordhaw #18 Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:09 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13572 battles

View PostGeoffrey_Ironfist, on 07 May 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

I found it

Most people play heavies (about a third) whereas lights and SPGs are played least. 

View PostGeoffrey_Ironfist, on 07 May 2019 - 03:02 PM, said:

Are there any stats around?

There are some differing stats here:

http://wot-news.com/stat/server/eu/norm/en

Edited by Bordhaw, 07 May 2019 - 09:22 PM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #19 Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:06 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

By nation:

By class:

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 07 May 2019 - 11:07 PM.

Dorander #20 Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20359 battles

View Postgpalsson, on 07 May 2019 - 06:39 PM, said:

Which is also coincidentally why many people don't like playing against them - the way they play. It has nothing to do with the percentage of damage they do.

I'm fine with playing against them. It's completely unrelated to their inaccuracy, unreliability or inability to influence battles consistently. It's absolutely great that they have indirect fire and force people to take three dimensions into account when trying to protect themselves. Now stop trying to derail a thread with generic artywhines.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users