Jump to content


Am i playing my tanks completely wrong?


  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

friedeggnchips #1 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:47 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 2356 battles
  • 182
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6
  • Member since:
    11-30-2012

Was going to talk about the Centurion 7/1, but i just got that and its stock, so thats the main reason i cannot use it right now.

on the other hand, my Conq is almost max, aside from the last engine and the tracks.

I really enjoy the tank as it works well on most matches, however even with an avg experience of 635, the highest i have for any tank aside from the Cent 1, I cant for the life of me get a decent winrate, let alone one above 50%. I only got it recently, so im still learning how to use it, but it isnt as if I am dying straight away or anything, yet my win rate is 42%. I cant tell if i am playing badly, because in tanks like the Cromwell, i have a 53% WR and in the Caern i have a 55% win rate, though i havent played them since 1.5 launched, maybe this is the reason as new players are coming on and filling the team with dog crap?

I should also note the first ten games i ever had in this tank were all defeats.


Edited by friedeggnchips, 07 May 2019 - 06:49 PM.


wsatnutter #2 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:49 PM

    General

  • Beta Tester
  • 26056 battles
  • 9,171
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    08-25-2010

early doors swings and roundabouts

 



Nishi_Kinuyo #3 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 8397 battles
  • 5,654
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

Well, to put it into perspective: you barely do more damage in your Conquerer than you do in your Caernarfon.

So to me that would seem like you get into bad positioning with your Conq and die too early because of it, fail to get good shots, or both.

As always, a replay of your typical Conq battle should help to give better advice.

 

Also, at those battle counts, the difference could literally be only a 10-20 battles between <49% and >50%.


Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 07 May 2019 - 06:54 PM.


friedeggnchips #4 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:54 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 2356 battles
  • 182
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6
  • Member since:
    11-30-2012

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 07 May 2019 - 05:52 PM, said:

Well, to put it into perspective: you barely do more damage in your Conquerer than you do in your Caernarfon.

So to me that would seem like you get into bad positioning with your Conq and die too early because of it, fail to get good shots, or both.

As always, a replay of your typical Conq battle should help to give better advice.

 

it used to be a lot higher i think, i just gave up trying recently because of the inevitable losses

Suurpolskija #5 Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:08 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 22028 battles
  • 1,907
  • [KANKI] KANKI
  • Member since:
    01-26-2016

View Postfriedeggnchips, on 07 May 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

Was going to talk about the Centurion 7/1, but i just got that and its stock, so thats the main reason i cannot use it right now.

on the other hand, my Conq is almost max, aside from the last engine and the tracks.

I really enjoy the tank as it works well on most matches, however even with an avg experience of 635, the highest i have for any tank aside from the Cent 1, I cant for the life of me get a decent winrate, let alone one above 50%. I only got it recently, so im still learning how to use it, but it isnt as if I am dying straight away or anything, yet my win rate is 42%. I cant tell if i am playing badly, because in tanks like the Cromwell, i have a 53% WR and in the Caern i have a 55% win rate, though i havent played them since 1.5 launched, maybe this is the reason as new players are coming on and filling the team with dog crap?

I should also note the first ten games i ever had in this tank were all defeats.

 

When I had the amount of games you have, I was already grinding T-54. I averaged about the same dmg you do and had a winrate of 46% overall on my account. You know what I did? 

 

I got myself a T-28F and Matilda and started playing those a lot. After a while I started winning games so I got myself a Cromwell and played it a lot and started doing well in it after a while. I bought back T-34-85 and played it some and got a Stug lll g and played it until I started to do well in it.

 

The list goes on, but the main story is, I started to get good mid tier tanks, focus being on completing the Stug IV campaign and learning how to play tanks that people seemed to think were good. I got myself a tier8 premium after I started feeling comfortable with tiers 6-7 etc. 

 

So, what I'm saying is that you're way over your head playing at tier8 and tier9 with such a low battle count. Get some good mid tier tanks and learn how to kick [edited]. Learn maps, good positions etc. Don't give up until you start to get close to doing as much dmg most games as you have HP. That's still my goal mostly: do more dmg than the HP of my tank. 



Homer_J #6 Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:08 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 31411 battles
  • 34,205
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View Postfriedeggnchips, on 07 May 2019 - 06:47 PM, said:

 I only got it recently, so im still learning how to use it,

 

If you want any advice you are going to have to post replays and be prepared to take criticism.

 

Post up your next three battles, good or bad.



friedeggnchips #7 Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:22 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 2356 battles
  • 182
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6
  • Member since:
    11-30-2012

View PostSuurpolskija, on 07 May 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

 

When I had the amount of games you have, I was already grinding T-54. I averaged about the same dmg you do and had a winrate of 46% overall on my account. You know what I did? 

 

I got myself a T-28F and Matilda and started playing those a lot. After a while I started winning games so I got myself a Cromwell and played it a lot and started doing well in it after a while. I bought back T-34-85 and played it some and got a Stug lll g and played it until I started to do well in it.

 

The list goes on, but the main story is, I started to get good mid tier tanks, focus being on completing the Stug IV campaign and learning how to play tanks that people seemed to think were good. I got myself a tier8 premium after I started feeling comfortable with tiers 6-7 etc. 

 

So, what I'm saying is that you're way over your head playing at tier8 and tier9 with such a low battle count. Get some good mid tier tanks and learn how to kick [edited]. Learn maps, good positions etc. Don't give up until you start to get close to doing as much dmg most games as you have HP. That's still my goal mostly: do more dmg than the HP of my tank. 

 

Alright, ill try this. My Cromwell has a decent WR, so maybe by playing in that i can get better in the Cents. Might also try a KV-2 to do the campaign :)

Thanks for the help



Tyburn #8 Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:23 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 12942 battles
  • 240
  • Member since:
    03-19-2012
I’ve found tier to be hugely important with regards to performance. I’m at 13k battles and only now am I properly embarking on tier 9. I’m still not great at higher tiers but tier 5 to 7 I am doing fine. I’m getting better at higher tiers but I’m still way short of where I’d expect to be with regards my overall performance, wr etc and my performance at mid tier.

There is no rush. Literally none at all. Play tiers that you’re good at and take your time.

Edited by Tyburn, 07 May 2019 - 07:47 PM.


Bracciano_gatto #9 Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 2504 battles
  • 326
  • Member since:
    09-07-2018

OP,

you wonder if you are playing your tanks the right way.

I think the right question should be: Are you having fun playing tonks ? That's my main thing.

 

If you want stats, post replays, watch the tube.

 

Good luck out there.



Richthoffen #10 Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:52 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 29037 battles
  • 2,513
  • [MS-] MS-
  • Member since:
    12-23-2011
you are burning trough the techtree to get to tier x, slow down a bit you hardly played any tank for more then 150 battles and with 2k batles you are already running multiple tier 8 tanks

Solstad1069 #11 Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:22 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 42294 battles
  • 3,412
  • Member since:
    06-15-2013
I had 10K battles before i got my first tier 10. Even today i hardly ever play tier 10. Grind out and play mid tier tanks. There is nothing magical at tier 10, mostly frustration.

PowJay #12 Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 38156 battles
  • 4,788
  • Member since:
    09-07-2012

Short answer: Yes. Longer answer, you are playing the entire game the wrong way. You are rushing to higher tiers without a clue about what you are doing.


There's no right and wrong way to play this game, it is a game and it should be played for fun, but if you are asking the question, then I guess you aren't having as much fun as you'd like.

 

I've played by grinding (at least starting) EVERY branch of EVERY tree and I have found some tanks that I like, and some that I really don't- no matter how popular they are. The ONLY tree that I am so far despising, with NOTHING I like up to VII (so far) is the Polish tree.

I have a huge variety of vehicles in the standard tree, from III to X and I play what I want, when I want. There is no end-game. My objectives are to play, enjoy, win and complete objectives. The objectives are some I have set myself and some- such as Campaigns- that have been set by WG. My objectives can change on a day to day and week to week basis, but (for the most part) I usually enjoy this game despite its frustrations.

 

If you slow down your grinding and play more Elite vehicles at lower tiers, you might find one that you really enjoy and decide to keep, whereas otherwise you might just leap into the next stock vehicle and have a bad time in that as well.

 

One advantage of slowing down is building up FREE Free XP to shorten the grinds later on. Another is to wait for discounts and manage your credits. Under the old system of weekend discounts, I must have waited six months for some vehicles to be discounted. That's why I have over 20,000,000 credits at the moment (not sure exactly how much) and can buy Premium ammo if I want, as well as kit out all my vehicles with equipment.

Crew training is another bonus. If you are not retraining for Gold, then you could keep a vehicle until you have 6th Sense (for example) and then move your crew onto the next vehicle for credits and 90% Major Qualification. If you are using Gold to retrain, then this does not matter, of course.



Homer_J #13 Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:12 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 31411 battles
  • 34,205
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

Came back to check out those replays.

 

Ho Hum.



Cheezix #14 Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 38538 battles
  • 930
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    10-29-2012
I like your spirit of trying to play well and improve. That's also my main source of fun in this game. But let me assure you that after 1600 battles you can't do consistently well yet. I only started to get a better player after playing about 7000 games, because you need lots of knowledge combined with experience before you can master this game of tonks. Just give yourself some time and try to platoon with skilled players as much as you can. Ask them what you want to know and watch them play after you died in the game. World of Tanks is all about decision making and timing so see what they are doing and why. Watch videos on gameplay tactics and know the tank statistics. If you know everything about the tanks you encounter in battle you should also know automatically how to defeat them! There are many ways to be successful, but they all require a healthy dose of dedication. Good luck and don't forget to have fun along the way!

Captain_Kremen0 #15 Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 38418 battles
  • 2,047
  • [TFMB] TFMB
  • Member since:
    06-04-2011

With that rush through the tiers none of your crew will have any skills or perks, not even 6th sense.

 

Of course your biggest mistake is worrying about stats in the first place. If you chase damage and wins because you think you need them you will make bad plays and mistakes. 

Help is at hand on the forums - if you ask for it you will get it but as Homer says nobody got better by being lied to and spared feelings.



friedeggnchips #16 Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 2356 battles
  • 182
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6
  • Member since:
    11-30-2012

View PostHomer_J, on 07 May 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

 

If you want any advice you are going to have to post replays and be prepared to take criticism.

 

Post up your next three battles, good or bad.


Alright, sorry for the late reply but i was wondering what i could do in this replay to win the game?

 

http://wotreplays.eu...77f68739ce15d9f

09:08 Added after 1 minute

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 08 May 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

With that rush through the tiers none of your crew will have any skills or perks, not even 6th sense.

 

Of course your biggest mistake is worrying about stats in the first place. If you chase damage and wins because you think you need them you will make bad plays and mistakes. 

Help is at hand on the forums - if you ask for it you will get it but as Homer says nobody got better by being lied to and spared feelings.

 

Its not about the perks, my Conqueror only has ~150 ish games on but i have Sixth sense, snap shot, smooth ride and brothers in arms

If_I_Die_You_Die_Too #17 Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 6127 battles
  • 306
  • Member since:
    07-14-2016

Things start to pick up after 5k battles, you develop more sensible play styles for different tanks

Improved tank crews make a huge difference once they are ground out

 

Don't forget that other players are running all sorts of WoT crack cocaine to gain an advantage

Food for +10% experience

Various dodgy mods which will soon be banned

Every skill in the skillset list

 

Just roll with the hits and get some experience



gpalsson #18 Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:10 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 24477 battles
  • 8,929
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

How to improve:

 

1) Watch better players twich channels and learn some spot to be in and playstyles.

2) Try to apply it.

3) Go to 1

 



Cheezix #19 Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 38538 battles
  • 930
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    10-29-2012

View Postgpalsson, on 09 May 2019 - 11:10 AM, said:

How to improve:

 

1) Watch better players twich channels and learn some spot to be in and playstyles.

2) Try to apply it.

3) Go to 1

 

 

Next time I will make my advice just as short and simple :teethhappy:

PowJay #20 Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:07 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 38156 battles
  • 4,788
  • Member since:
    09-07-2012

View Postfriedeggnchips, on 09 May 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:


Alright, sorry for the late reply but i was wondering what i could do in this replay to win the game?

 

http://wotreplays.eu...77f68739ce15d9f

09:08 Added after 1 minute

 

Its not about the perks, my Conqueror only has ~150 ish games on but i have Sixth sense, snap shot, smooth ride and brothers in arms

 

Interesting example, but, IMHO, without actually watching the battle, you couldn't have done anything else because on this occasion, your team appear to be useless.


If that was damage done when all else was lost, then yes- you could have done more. If that was done from the outset and consistently throughout the battle, then I guess your team was just not good enough to win. You have Confederate, so you must have been busy enough, early enough to damage enemies before they were destroyed. You also have three kills and I also notice that you were destroyed very late on in the game. That was a good game on your part, but it might have taken a unicum on your team to win it. Well done, you :medal:


 


 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users