Artillery shell dispersion pattern

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Iridiumalloy #1 Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13010 battles
  • [KWA] KWA

The dispersion pattern for a shell fired from a gun should concentrate around the center of the aiming point with fewer shells landing at the edge of the shell dispersion disk (reticule). However, I've noticed that the dispersion pattern of artillery shells in WOT looks more like the wave pattern caused by a droplet landing in water. Some shots land pretty much on target but most shots land on or close to the edge of the aiming reticule (with some landing outside the aiming reticule) and only a few shots land in between the center and the edge. This happens even when the gun is fully zoomed in.

Anyone else who plays arty recognise this issue?

Anyone from WG care to comment on this issue?

Attached Files

• Attached File   arty dispersion.jpg   69.42K

shikaka9 #2 Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 67191 battles
  • [SWM] SWM
bro, its a kids game, nobody cares about stuff like this ... all we need new premium fantasy tanks with superpowers, every month  :bajan:

Homer_J #3 Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31398 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostIridiumalloy, on 08 May 2019 - 04:44 PM, said:

The dispersion pattern for a shell fired from a gun should concentrate around the center of the aiming point with fewer shells landing at the edge of the shell dispersion disk (reticule). However, I've noticed that the dispersion pattern of artillery shells in WOT looks more like the wave pattern caused by a droplet landing in water. Some shots land pretty much on target but most shots land on or close to the edge of the aiming reticule

Arty uses the same centre weighted dispersion as every other tank, you are noticing something which is not there.

TheDrownedApe #4 Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:39 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 47519 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
im having nightmares from my youth now. Marking fragments from 105mm field HE shell after detonations, the Army struggled to find me more tedious work after than

7thSyndicate #5 Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 45402 battles
There´s no real in here, look at all the fantasy made up tanks we have.. and the real historical tanks suck

spamhamstar #6 Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

OMFG you're sitting in the corner shooting people who can't see you let alone shoot back & you're complaining because your gun isn't as accurate as it actually is.

As far as WG have told us dispersion is exactly the same for arty as for any other tank, but because you are generally shooting at longer range with a less accurate gun of course more shells will fall towards the outer limit.  If other tanks could shoot you at 600m I expect you'd notice exactly the same thing.

You'd have been better posting a replay of the issue rather than some made up dispersion models.

Dorander #7 Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:19 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20349 battles

I don't really recognize the issue, though I get somewhat what you mean. I think there's too causes for what you are experiencing. The first is that you are viewing a shell that comes in from an angle at a top down position. You don't see the height difference that accounts for extra distance travelled on any shell that doesn't hit the tank. The higher this tank is, the stronger this effect. Pay attention to low tanks, how easy it is to overshoot them, and when you do how much further the shell lands.

The second is the effect you see with normal shots as well (especially with long distance shot that have a high arc), the shell seems to hit like it's magnetically pulled towards the tank. This is just a client rendering issue, you fire your gun and the shot is displayed on its predicted course, server's calculated it's a hit, client has to correct shell course a little to display the hit at a tank that wasn't rendered in line of your shot anymore.

Iridiumalloy #8 Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13010 battles
  • [KWA] KWA

View Postspamhamstar, on 08 May 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

As far as WG have told us dispersion is exactly the same for arty as for any other tank, but because you are generally shooting at longer range with a less accurate gun of course more shells will fall towards the outer limit.  If other tanks could shoot you at 600m I expect you'd notice exactly the same thing.

Sorry, but that comment shows you don't understand the concept of shell dispersion.

NekoPuffer_PPP #9 Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:01 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 32880 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC
At least 30% of all my arty shots land on the very edge of the aiming circle. I have never seen that happen while playing regular tanks, not as far as I can remember, I know for sure I'd notice.

Geno1isme #10 Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:38 AM

General

• Player
  • 46099 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

As has been noted above,  what you see is likely just the result of vertical dispersion and/or terrain, projected onto the 2D arty view.

Esp. when you shoot at tanks on the other side of a ridgeline, if the shell goes just slightly low it hits the ridge miles before the tank, if it goes slightly high it overshoots the tank and due to terrain slope lands miles behind the tank. The chance to land at short to medium distance from the tank is rather minimal in those cases.

This is of course heavily affected by factors like shell trajectory and height difference and distance between arty and target. The center ridge on Prokhorovka is a very good example for this.

Jauhesammutin #11 Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:56 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23174 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostIridiumalloy, on 08 May 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

The dispersion pattern for a shell fired from a gun should concentrate around the center of the aiming point with fewer shells landing at the edge of the shell dispersion disk (reticule). However, I've noticed that the dispersion pattern of artillery shells in WOT looks more like the wave pattern caused by a droplet landing in water. Some shots land pretty much on target but most shots land on or close to the edge of the aiming reticule (with some landing outside the aiming reticule) and only a few shots land in between the center and the edge. This happens even when the gun is fully zoomed in.

Anyone else who plays arty recognise this issue?

Anyone from WG care to comment on this issue?

Are you using server or client reticle?

95% of the shots should land inside the aiming reticle so those which land outside the redicle belong in the 5%.

Dorander #12 Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:05 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20349 battles

View PostJauhesammutin, on 09 May 2019 - 08:56 AM, said:

Are you using server or client reticle?

95% of the shots should land inside the aiming reticle so those which land outside the redicle belong in the 5%.

Nothing lands outside the aiming circle anymore last I read, that 5% gets rerolled.

Jauhesammutin #13 Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23174 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostDorander, on 09 May 2019 - 09:05 AM, said:

Nothing lands outside the aiming circle anymore last I read, that 5% gets rerolled.

That was from their Wiki. I don't know how often they update it or even if they are updating at all.

Kartoshkaya #14 Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25844 battles
Don't play arty then

eldrak #15 Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50300 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W

View PostHomer_J, on 08 May 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

Arty uses the same centre weighted dispersion as every other tank, you are noticing something which is not there.

My experience with arty mirrors that of the op.

If I find the time I'll do some testing in a training room

spamhamstar #16 Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:47 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

View PostIridiumalloy, on 08 May 2019 - 07:43 PM, said:

Sorry, but that comment shows you don't understand the concept of shell dispersion.

Have you taken a look at how you think it works & compared it to how WG tell us it works?  Nope, you've just told us how it seems to work to you becuase that's what it feels like.  Perhaps some sort of evidence would be good?

View PostJauhesammutin, on 09 May 2019 - 09:47 AM, said:

That was from their Wiki. I don't know how often they update it or even if they are updating at all.

WG don't update the wiki at all.  You can update it yourself if you feel like it.

PayMore #17 Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25109 battles
  • [BWAH] BWAH
I dont think turbo pascal allows for fine pattern dispersion programming, but I might be wrong.

Edited by PayMore, 09 May 2019 - 09:25 PM.

Captain_Kremen0 #18 Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:57 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 38418 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View Posteldrak, on 09 May 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

My experience with arty mirrors that of the op.

If I find the time I'll do some testing in a training room

Bloody hell if I had time on my hands to test arty in a training room........I'd be doing something rather different.

malowany #19 Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6000 battles
  • [H-O-A] H-O-A

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 08 May 2019 - 05:39 PM, said:

im having nightmares from my youth now. Marking fragments from 105mm field HE shell after detonations, the Army struggled to find me more tedious work after than

Im at a point in my life when I miss my early days of physical labour, just let your hands do stuff and free your mind...... sigh, I used to think that was a curse, now sitting in a office, being overwhelmed by work because HQ ofc will never dare to uphire so there is always shortage of hands, and your mind is racing straight 8 hours a day and for another 2 hours after you leave the work..... I learned that tired body is very easy to rest with clean mind, tired mind full of BS is  very hard to rest, and when mind is tired, who cares that body isnt?

Sorry for off topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users