How to KV-3?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

wEight_Tanker #1 Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9817 battles
  • [VI90M] VI90M

Just bought it after the fastest Tier 6 grind in my life.

First impressions on the stock modules except the 107mm gun and the engine:

• Sluggish but not even that bad

• Armor might withstand lower tier shells but still not the best

• More to come ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I would have no pain in grinding this one at all. I've got all of the guns from IS which was my first ever Russian Tier 7 tank. I'd like to hear all of yous' opinions on it and/or compared to IS. I'm open to treat both of the 100mm and 122mm guns like I did on the IS. 100mm all the way. :P

Edited by wEight_Tanker, 11 May 2019 - 08:41 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #2 Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 8397 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostwEight_Tanker, on 11 May 2019 - 08:40 PM, said:

Just bought it after the fastest Tier 6 grind in my life.

First impressions on the stock modules except the 107mm gun and the engine:

• Sluggish but not even that bad

• Armor might withstand lower tier shells but still not the best

• More to come ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I would have no pain in grinding this one at all. I've got all of the guns from IS which was my first ever Russian Tier 7 tank. I'd like to hear all of yous' opinions on it and/or compared to IS. I'm open to treat both of the 100mm and 122mm guns like I did on the IS. 100mm all the way. :P

For KV-3 I'd say 122mm all the way.

The stats on the 100mm simply aren't competitive enough compared to that on the IS.

I'd even go so far as to say that the 107mm is a better option on it than the 100mm.

122mm - 100mm - 107mm

https://tanks.gg/com...13c~kv-3_51213f

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 11 May 2019 - 08:46 PM.

1ncompetenc3 #3 Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38064 battles
I grinded this a long, long time ago but I don't think I ever stuck to one gun. Might have used the 107 the most but the 100 and 122 saw their fair share of usage. However since WoT is practically a different game nowadays I'd just go with the 122.

Edited by 1ncompetenc3, 11 May 2019 - 08:52 PM.

MeNoobTank #4 Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15156 battles
  • [GT_WC] GT_WC
I think the tank is ok. Definetly not a bad tank, but not a very good tank either. I think is not much worse than IS or IS-2. When you are top tier can definetly be better than the IS counterpart but when bottom tier IS might be better.

Dava_117 #5 Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21479 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

KV-3 is probably the worst tank on the line. The hull armour is basically the same you have on T-150 except 30mm more frontal armour, that you will never use because the tank is mainly a sidescraper.

The top turret can't be angled effectively due to the conical shape and this put the tank, tier for tier, in a worst position than the T-150. 

The only real advantage you have is the 122mm DPM that is comparable,i not slightly better, than both KV-4 and ST-I! 

The best way to use ot is not relying much on the armour against tier 8 and 9, being a supporter using the good gun DPM and overmatching capabilities. A good amount of HE should also be loaded in order to deal with the ammount of tank you can't pen both with AP and APCR.

When top tier you can be more aggressive, just pay attention to your very low p/w ratio that can slow down a lot when going up hill.

breeeze #6 Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34743 battles
  • [S4] S4
if top tier, press W key and shoot enemies in the face for 390. If not, play 2nd line, slightly more carefully shoot people in the face. You can sidescrape, you have -7 gun depression, you have 390 alpha. Make use of it.

PointZero #7 Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 45437 battles

"Then close your eyes and tap your heels together three times. And think to yourself, there's no place like Motheяland"

If this works correctly you should get top tier MM in a city map where your armor might block something, you may have a chance to sidescrape and your meaty alpha tears apart puny capitalist tier 5&6's in mere seconds.

Jokes aside I'll do some copy & paste from my previous post on a similar topic where I was comparing the KV-3 to the IS:

Armor

Both Tier VII Soviet heavys share the same hull armor apart from the rear of the tank, main difference is that the IS hull is slightly more angled and can produce some troll bounces when shot from the front and the flatter KV-3 armor works slightly better when angling/sidescraping. Still nothing to rely on when facing equal tier opponents.

When it comes to turret armor that's where the KV-3 should shine on paper. After all the tank does sacrifice the mobility of the IS for superior turret armor. Except the gun mantlet is huge a weakspot which you will have to expose to the enemy each time you take a shot be it hulldown or sidescraping. It doesn't matter that your turret sides give you around 200mm of effective armor when you have a big 130mm weakspot smack in the center of it. This means most tier VI mediums and light tanks can penetrate your turret with AP, tier V's with the help of APCR.

Gun

The tanks both share the 122mm D-25T gun with same main features apart from IS having better dispersion values while on the move and turning the hull which is a bit funny concidering it's the more mobile one out of the two.

Mobility

KV-3 sacrifices the flexibility of the IS for armor that works questionably at best. It can't peek&boom like the IS because the turret is further away from the front of the tank and it has worse power to weight ratio in addition to worse reverse speed. So you should mainly stick to using hulldown positions and sidescraping when you have the chance to do so. The top speed of the tank isn't that much worse but what matters again is the worse power to weight ratio which means you are slower to accelerate to top speed and noticeably slower on slopes and bad terrain. This also means that where the IS can turn back to defend base as the other flank falls the KV-3 driver has to turn back when the other flank is at risk of falling if the player hopes to make it back in time to place themselves in a good defensive positon.

If you get rushed by a light tank or something like the Cromwell you will stand little to no chance in trying to catch them with your poor turret & hull rotation where as the IS can use combined hull & turret traverse to hopefully track them or at least punish them with a 390 parting gift. As an added bonus the KV-3 likes to burn a lot due to having 190 module health on the engine where the IS has 370.

(If you are thinking about going up the line keep in mind that unless you are some sort of masochist who enjoys playing the tier IX ST-I with the dmg & pen of tier VI SU-100 you want to unlock the BL-9 gun first on the IS-3)

Edited by PointZero, 12 May 2019 - 03:03 PM.

Solstad1069 #8 Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42240 battles
Basicly what PointZero says, mobility beats armor 9 of 10 battles and thats why IS is way better even with the same gun.
Mobility isnt all about who can reach point A first its that flexibility to get in and out of cover and get your gun in position quick, for those lights and mediums running around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users